Mar

Open Thread: Jeter, USA eke out a win over Yanks

A few times this afternoon, Michael Kay referred to Team USA as consisting of “the best players” in America. I’m not sure if that’s the line being fed announcers in order to generate some excitement over the World Baseball Classic or if it’s truly Michael Kay’s interpretation of the team. Either way, it’s hardly accurate.

That team, led by Derek Jeter, was just good enough to eke out a one-run win over the Yanks. However, considering the Yanks’ pitching today, I either don’t have high hopes for Team USA in the upcoming tournament or do like what the pen in the Bronx could do this year.

The day started out as we predicted last night: Derek Jeter grounded into a double play against Phil Hughes in the top of the first. The Yanks’ young righthander meanwhile rolled through two innings. He struck out David Wright and Adam Dunn in the second before tiring in the first.

An inning later, Jeter, of course, would be the one who delivered the the hit that would send Phil Hughes to his pitch-count induced shower. Down 2-1 at that point, the Yanks would never regain the lead as they lost 6-5.

Hughes looked good today through 41 pitches. He clearly tired a bit in the third, but he K’d two in 2.2 innings. Of all things, he ran into some trouble on inside pitches. The Yanks’ pitchers are working on establishing the inside half of the plate this spring, and Hughes hit Curtis Granderson and Ryan Braun both on 0-1 inside fastballs.

So that was it for Hughes. Eric Hacker was terrible, and Angel Berroa’s lack of range and inability to field didn’t help much in a four-run sixth for team USA. But Phil Coke, Dave Robertson and Jose Veras combined for 6 K’s in 4.2 innings.

Offensively, Brett Gardner ho-hummed his way to another 3-for-3 day while Melky went 1 for 2. Jorge added a pair of hits in three ABs, and Nick Swisher picked up a hit and two RBIs.

Ian Kennedy and the Yanks will face the Braves on the road. tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. in an non-televised game.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The Devils and Nets are in action tonight, and you could catch the tail end of the Jays-Team Canada game on MLB Network. Oh, and the Rangers reacquired Sean Avery, eating up whatever last bit of salary cap wiggle room they had. Oh joy.

Talk about whatever you want; just be nice; and if you haven’t voted in this week’s Fan Confidence Poll, do it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. So, who’s game for some Devils’ hockey?

If Marty keeps winning out, my brother’s got tickets for the 10th and the 12th so I could potentially see him tie Roy’s record, which I’d love to do, but that would involve the Devils not losing.

ANYWAY.

I did my own Power Rankings last night, and since I’m a lame self-promoting fan, you should all go read it. And disagree with me. Because it’s fun.

2. Mulls says:

I don’t know if anyone else noticed but it looked like melky got a tattoo on his forearm, did anybody see what it was?

3. Setsuna says:

Brett Gardner’s hot this spring training! While Melky is well…the same. I think we all know our starting CF now, hopefully.

4. billbybob says:

So that guy who got traded for ten bats last year is dead. What a seriously fucked up story.

5. Dude, Prudential, my idea of a rock solid retirement involves, I dunno, the economy NOT collapsing?

6. Mike A. says:

The injury is a shot a Jeter, obviously.

• “The cyst in his hip is ironclad evidence that ARod’s still juicing” firestorm in 3… 2… 1…

• John says:

ha Alex was right about that headlines thing…dumbass Anti-A-rod PeteAbe is already on it.

“Alex Rodriguez told reporters in Jupiter today that he wished Jose Reyes played for the Yankees.
      He then sent word through a team PR man that his comments shouldn’t be taken as a shot at Derek Jeter. No, of course not. Reyes plays shortstop. That’s the same position Jeter plays. How could anybody take that as a shot?
      It’s truly amazing. It really is.

Jose Reyes is a terrific player and it may have been an innocent comment. But given Alex’s history with Jeter, he should have found a different way to say something nice about Reyes. It just doesn’t make sense.”

• steve (different one) says:

and here is the New York Times take on the same story:

After Alex Rodriguez watched his Dominican Republic teammate José Reyes make two smart base-running plays in Tuesday’s exhibition game against the Marlins, he gushed: “I wish he was leading off on our team or playing on our team. That’s fun to watch.”

The remark seemed harmless, a throwaway line, the third baseman for the Yankees complimenting the shortstop for the Mets. But apparently fearing a headline like, “A-Rod Tells Yankees to Acquire Reyes,” Rodriguez later said, through a spokesman, that his remarks were not intended as criticism of Derek Jeter, the Yankees’ shortstop and captain.

Rodriguez and Jeter have played alongside each other in the Yankees’ infield for the last five seasons. The two players were close friends early in their careers, but that relationship has cooled.

Still, on Tuesday, Rodriguez seemed guilty of nothing more than trying to be gracious toward Reyes.

7. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

No YES replay tonight?

8. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Nice Cano piece by our buddy Moshe Mandel on Yanks Uni today. Check it out.

9. Jake H says:

Lane at NoMaas did another interview with Damon Opp. Very interesting stuff.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, and if you’re one of those people who’s still pissed off at Cole, give it a look. Explains what happened pretty concisely.

• anonymous says:

Im pretty sure we are still allowed to be pissed off at Cole. Just not about Cole.

• No, you’re not. Not really.

You’re not allowed to be pissed at every single thing that doesn’t work out with maximum utility for the Yankees. Some shit is just unfortunate and bad for us, but it doesn’t mean anybody is to blame, per se.

If nobody screwed up and nobody’s to blame, you can’t be pissed. Just sad.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I never said you’re not allowed, it just helps to have the facts straight about what happened if you want to come here and have a debate about it. Most of the people who know what happened aren’t overly upset about it, including Oppenhiemer.

• steve (different one) says:

i agree 100% about bringing facts to the debate, but i disagree with the sentiment that Oppenheimer wasn’t “overly upset” about it.

just my take on reading the interview, but i thought it was pretty clear that he was very pissed off about it and just starting to get over it now, months later.

• Dave says:

Did kay say some of the best players or just the best players in america? I can deal with some of because there are a good amount of quality players but THE best players? Yea right. I guess Pujols, arod, hanley, reyes, santana, CC, Mo, Nathan, papelbon, Hamels, Lincecum etc. dont count right? Because I am sure kay knows that those names are part of the best players in america, no? They are all drafted pretty high in fantasy leagues to not be the best.

• steve (different one) says:

yeah, he asked the question everyone wanted to know, and Opp confirmed that the Coles basically screwed the Yankees:

“At the time we took him, he and his family led us to believe that he wanted to sign and he wanted to be a New York Yankee. He didn’t lead us down the road that he wanted to be a Milwaukee Brewer, or be with somebody else – he led us down the road that he wanted to be a New York Yankee.”

10. Matt says:

I missed the whole “shot at Jeter” thing. Someone want to inform me? Or is it just a play off the Yankees playing him today?

I’d like to quote Pete Abe myself, but I’m going to include the thought in his head that he didn’t have time to write on his blog because he wanted to go to press quickly to advance the story. PeteAbe’s words are in italics; what he meant to keep saying is in bold.

UPDATE, 5:31 p.m: Here is what A-Rod said: “I wish (Reyes) was leading off on our team, playing on our team.”

Jose Reyes is a terrific player and it may have been an innocent comment. But given Alex’s history with Jeter, he should have found a different way to say something nice about Reyes, because he knows that 95% of us in the sports media world (as well as a huge chunk of the baseball fans out there) are stupid idiot chowderheads utterly incapable of not jumping to retarded conclusions to further our own anti-intellectual agendas or understanding context, nuance, or that any comment anywhere could possibly be innocuous rather than inflammatory.

We are dumb. Alex forgot that. That’s his fault, not ours. He should change. He should censor himself to prevent dumbasses like us from making dumbass mistakes with his words.

He should have been smarter with what he said because he should know that we’re way too stupid to keep ourselves from making a mountain out of a molehill EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME. Like I said, we are dumb. You have to compensate for our dumbness when you talk. There is no other logical way to solve this problem (or so I’m guessing, I don’t really understand logic). It just doesn’t make sense.

• John says:

seems right but i dont think he can be that articulate and cannot use those big words, especially when thinking in his clogged head.

11. [...] Policy « Open Thread: Jeter, USA eke out a win over Yanks Mar [...]

12. RichYF aka sooooo tired of the "namedrop says hello" meme says:

Okay, time for a crazy idea:

Would getting Hughes (or Brackman/Betances/whoever) make it worth taking on Matsui’s contract?

Hughes might be a bit much, but assuming that’s the Matsui tax (yeah I bet you know where this is going) does that make you pull the trigger? The return is essentially nothing great, maybe a B position prospect or less.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then the Yanks sign Manny. So it’s Matsui + Hughes for Manny, only the team we trade them to doesn’t have Manny.

I don’t really care if the Yanks get Manny at this point, I just had that wild idea and I figured I’d share it (forgive me if it was your idea first and I unknowingly stole it). The reason I said it was essentially because Manny can be had for a 2 year (maximum) deal. Two years! He wanted 4/100 when the off-season started. It’s amazing how far he’s fallen. How is he not on this team? If I’m Cashman, I have to be BEGGING the Steins to go for this. I don’t know if Manny is worth a Hughes, but if you can coax a team in to taking on Matsui’s contract by giving them a solid prospect, it might be enough to make them bite. Maybe.

• let me put this as delicately as I possible can:

• Eh, I don’t think so. The upgrade from Matsui to Manny is huge, but you’re getting that upgrade for what, 2-3 years? Hughes for the next 5-10 years is probably worth more than the difference between Matsui and Manny for 2009 + the difference between whomever we sign/promote/add to take Matsui’s place and Manny for 2010.

Interesting take on the idea, but I still pass.

• steve (different one) says:

politely: this is a terrible idea.

• steve (different one) says:

let me clarify, the “idea” is not terrible.

the specifics, using Hughes to dump Matsui, is a terrible idea.

perhaps using a little cash and a lesser prospect? maybe.

but no way do you trade Hughes just to save the one thing you have more than anyone: cash.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

It becomes a tad unworkable when you find out that Manny has just signed with the Dodgers. But I suspect that won’t stop our him. Just a small obstacle.

• RichYF aka sooooo tired of the "namedrop says hello" meme says:

I typed this up 20 mins ago. Obviously I hadn’t heard he signed. I was just chatting with a buddy of mine and I got the idea. It wasn’t a “this is entirely feasible” idea. It was just a “holy crap that might work in a vacuum” idea.

And I still stand by the idea as being sound. There is no salary cap, so the expiring contract is not nearly as valuable, but it could be to some teams in the sense that paying $13 million gets you the rights to Hughes’ arbitration years.

I’m not even saying I’d do it, because we’re in wayyyy too deep with Hughes to bail out now, but I’d consider it. Manny is much more of a sure bet than Matsui. And none of us will be pleased when Jorge and Matsui are on the shelf and Manny has a 990 OPS in LA.

• You were more polite than me.

I think I lose my woman card here.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Reminds me of something a college professor once said to me.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”

• anonymous says:

???

13. MrJigginz says:

Manny signed with LA,per ESPN.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Thank Mo, no more Manny rumors.

• He can be Torre’s problem…

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Torre’s perfect for him. He’ll pencil him in the lineup and leave him alone.

• Plus, Torre’s a great manager of personalities; he excels at taking disparate, individualistic stars and getting them to play together as a cohesi–

–HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, oh, I tried, but I could NOT get through that with a straight face.

• Matt says:

Where have I heard this before….? ;)

• Mike Pop says:

It’s false that he signed.

• MrJigginz says:

Yup…ESPN jumped the gun(and therefore so did I,my apologies)…This is the write-up now on ESPN.com:ORLANDO, Fla. — Manny Ramirez and the Los Angeles Dodgers finally reached some common ground in their negotiations, a source close to the talks told ESPNdeportes.com’s Enrique Rojas.After multiple failed attempts, Ramirez and the Dodgers agreed to general terms Tuesday on a two-year, $45 million deal, a source told Rojas. Another source told ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark that obstacles still remain to completing the contract.

Agent Scott Boras told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick that while he has been in daily contact with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, no agreement has been reached.

“We are in discussions and we have no deal in place,” Boras said.

Boras would not elaborate further on the status of the talks.

The Dodgers announced last week that Boras had declined the team’s fourth offer to the star outfielder — a one-year, $25 million contract with a $20 million player option for 2010.

The outfielder is expected to travel to Los Angeles on Tuesday night. If the deal goes through, Ramirez would report to the Dodgers’ spring training camp in Arizona.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Hahahaahah! That cracked me up.

You forgot the “They need him to keep calm in the clubhouse and protect the players from the endless distractions caused by the LA media and that irrational McCourt guy “

14. Jamal G. says:

I think this “[insert event here] is taking a shot at Jeter, obviously” meme might go down as one of the classics at RAB; there’s just so much damn potential.

I can see it now:

ARod hits a dinger after Jeter is thrown out attempting to steal a base? – Taking a shot a Jeter, obviously.

Cody Ransom gets congratulated in the dugout after a nice play in the field on Jeter’s off-day? – Taking a shot at Jeter, obviously.

15. Baseball links time:

Santana may miss opening day:

Nomar signs with A’s:

Bonds perjury trial may not wrap up until 2010:

And the best:
    Brad Penny and J.D. Drew are ALREADY hurting for the Sox:

16. Jamal G. says:

I don’t even want to link to it, but I’ll just post the tail-end of the injury post concerning ARod:

It appears we will find out more tomorrow. The moral of the story: A-Rod is always the story.

I’m sorry, but I think the moral of the story is that you seem continually enamored with the zipper of one Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez.

17. Corey says:

Any one know if they ever got 100% on that popularity thing?

18. Football roundup:

Rex Ryan and the Jets steal another Raven (and get a good, young option to be the Dawan Landry to Kerry Rhodes’s Ed Reed);

Cedric Benson reups in Cincinnati, allowing them to pass on overrated RB’s in the draft in April;

Buccaneers intend to use Earnest Graham, Cadillac Williams, and new addition Derrick Ward in the “Load up with quality backs and keep running it down the opponents throat” offense popularized by the Giants, Panthers, Titans, and Falcons last year;

Chiefs signed Bobby Engram, which I expect to have about the impact of the Yankees signing Brett Tomko;

T.J. Whosyamamma said that he picked the Seahawks over the Vikings because he has no faith in Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels (can’t say I blame him);

————-

Oh, and I know we (Jets) were planning on wrapping up the spending spree after Leonhard, but if I were Mike Tannenbaum, I’d be ALL OVER Jason Taylor right now. Tell me that doesn’t make sense.

• Jamal G. says:

Hey, how do you like what the Jints are doing? I am ashamed to admit that I literally do not care one iota about the NFL off-season even though I am genuinely a Giants fan.

• Losing Ward isn’t great, but it’s not really bad (or a big deal) either; Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ware can all do fine behind that excellent Giants OL.

(I do worry about giving Jacobs big money, though; he’s like an Earl Campbell/Bam Morris back, he runs INTO contact instead of avoiding it. RB’s like that tend to destroy the league for 3-5 years and then fall of a cliff like Albert Belle.)

Canty, Bernard, and Boley were all solid signings. Not game changing or problem solving, but solid. I’d give their offseason a solid C+/B- so far. They didn’t have a ton of holes to plug, so the fact that they haven’t made a big splash isn’t a huge issue.

The whole thing rests on the Plaxico situation: If they get him back (and he remains productive), the offense is good; if he’s suspended, they’re pedestrian. He’s hamstrung the team (pun intended), because they don’t know what they’ll have from him. And, I doubt they pull the trigger on a blockbuster trade for a different WR.

I’d kick the tires on Laveranues Coles, though, if I were the G-Men. He’d replace Amani Toomer nicely in the “nothing flashy but he’s always in position and moves the chains” underneath guy. And, he wouldn’t have to change stadiums, just move his crap from one locker to the other.

• andrew says:

Steve Smith fits that role of the “nothing flashy but he’s always in position and moves the chains” underneath guy, and Hixon is a good #3… Finding a #1 will be the issue, if Plax doesn’t come back, this offense is in serious trouble.

I’d say the C+/B- ranking is a little low… not many teams have added as many impact players as the Giants have, and OLB was a major hole for them and Boley definitely fills that need. I don’t think they should have overpaid for Canty, especially with Osi coming back and an already stacked line, but this may signal the end of the road for Robbins. Besides a safety and resolving the Plax issue, this team will be for the most part only addressing depth in the draft, and there arent that many teams you can say that for.
          B/B+ by my count, and the draft could bump that up.

• I’d say the C+/B- ranking is a little low… not many teams have added as many impact players as the Giants have…

Well, that’s because you think Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, and Michael Boley are “impact players”.

I don’t. Albert Haynesworth, Bart Scott, and T.J. Houshamazilli are “impact players”. Canty, Bernard, and Boley are a notch below that stratosphere.

JMHO.

• andrew says:

Maybe impact is too strong a word, so I do agree with you. They definitely are a notch below those 3 you listed, however, there are only a couple teams who have added as much or more than the Giants, and especially considering the Giants didn’t have many holes to begin with, i think they’ve done a great job so far.

• A.D. says:

Jets have had a nice offseason thus far, time to move focus to the draft. Though they’ve sured up most of the issues I though they’d draft.

• I’ll throw a mock together soon, but for the Jets at #17, I’d say if Mark Sanchez somehow falls to us, we take him; when he doesn’t, we take a WR like Darrius Heyward Bey or Percy Harvin (I much prefer Heyward-Bey, personally.)

Although, if Sanchez is still on the board come pick #12 or so, I could see us trading up. We have 5 picks in the first four rounds (our own #1, #2, and #4 as well as the Saints #3 and the Redskins #4).

• A.D. says:

With the Cassel deal, barring another trade Sanchez should make it to 10 & SF

• Reggie C. says:

Hey TSJC,

Do you think Jeremy Maclin has out of reach for the Jets after his solid combine showing? If there’s a receiver the Jets should get … its Maclin.

• Yes. I think Maclin was always a top 12 WR pre-combine; after his solid showing, he solidified that. He’s out of reach. Between the Raiders at 7, the Jags at 8, the 49′ers at 10, the Bills at 11 – somebody will take him.

I personally always liked Heyward-Bey more than Harvin; Harvin’s more of a Reggie Bush/Devin Hester/Ted Ginn type who’s dynamic on special teams but fairly useless as a fulltime starter (although Ginn is growing on me). Heyward-Bey is a legit NFL WR. His combine proved that, now he’s in the middle of the first round instead of a fringe first/second guy. Perfect spot for the Jets at 17.

I’d say (off the top of my head) Crabtree to the Seahawks at 4, Maclin to the Jags at 8, Heyward-Bey to the Jets at 17, and Harvin to the Ravens at 26.

19. Joey says:

Finally agreed to play fantasy baseball with a few friends this year, but it goes against everything I stand for with points being awarded for RBIs, wins, saves, etc… My morals are gone… *tear running down face dramatically

20. Brian Cashman is watching says:

Excellent article about economics. Next time a fan complains about paying high salaries to baseball players, here’s a great rebuttal:

• Memo says:

I loved that article. Its not like if the players take less money that it will go to teachers, military members or the fans. It stays in the owners pockets. Calhoun made me giddy when he interrupted dude and said, “not one dime.” I played it over and over.

Oh, and talking about overpaid athletes….an obvious shot at Jeter. <—-Oooh, I like this. Fun times!

21. dkidd says:

has anyone figured out for sure if cc sabathia’s twitter feed is for real?

22. Matt says:

I just hit a 422 foot homer off of Luke Hochevar with Nick Swisher (!!!!) in “The Show.”

23. Mike Pop says:

Did you guys just see MLB NEtwork? It went black and you hear: Is that Fernando Vina, WTF is that.

24. Yank Crank says:

Holly crap, anybody just hear the f-bomb on the MLB Network??

25. Expired Milk says:

I’m probably in the minority of people who picked2K9 over The show. Those bastard took away the trade machine in franchise mode, which is the reason why I picked 2K9 over The Show.

I traded Wang + Cabrera for Oswalt and he got injured in his first start.

26. I really liked your blog with the Albert Haynesworth. I think Haynesworth will be a star in DC.
    I try to follow as much as I can from Sao Paulo, Brazil.