Mar

Stephen muthaf*%^in Strasburg

I mean, seriously. KLaw had him at 99 last night, when he struck out fifteen in seven innings. On the year, he’s at 34.1 IP, 21 H, 7 R, 7 BB, 74 K. That’s a 19.40 Kper9 and a 10.57 K/BB. Remember when I said Price and Prior and all of them were better prospects? I take it back. This kid is as real as it gets, and is making a case to be the greatest amateur pitcher of all time. Insanity.

In other San Diego area news, Padres’ reliever Mark Worrell will miss the season with Tommy John surgery. The only reason I’m mentioning this is because I’ve been looking for an excuse to link to this video of him pitching for a few weeks now. How can you not laugh at that delivery?

Categories : Asides

1. Ben K. says:

Ivan Nova, step on down. You have a Rule 5 job with the Padres.

2. Stanton Social says:

Strasberg is obviously in college now, he obviously wasn’t this highly touted coming out of high school, so my question is … was he known back then at 18 years old or has his dominance developed in college? What kind of prospect was he at 18?

3. Jake H says:

That is just crazy. Mike it’s 21 H I take it not IP.

4. Expired Milk says:

The logical thing to do for the Nationals is to draft him and have him set up for Hanrahan.Right there you shorten the games to 7 innings.

5. Scott Boras just called me and told me that this kid will not sign for less than $25 million. Spread the word.

6. Bryan says:

So do we have a better chance of drafting Jesus or this kid?

7. Zack says:

And to think,the dude is going to waste away in the wasteland known as the Nationals. Sure wish the Pads had the #1 pick, since a duo of P_Dog and Strasburg would be damn fun to watch

8. 27 this year says:

It almost sucks to be a first overall pick because at least for the first couple years in the minors and then six years in the majors, you are stuck on a losing team. Tim Beckham is an exception but it sucks to see a great pitcher toiling away six or seven years of his best pitching on a team that won’t sniff the playoffs until they perfect wings for a man to fly.

9. 27 this year says:

Is it me or have we not had a prospect profile in quite a while?

10. Ryan S. says:

Well, at least its only around 8 years until he becomes a free agent, since the fact that he’s with the Nationals and represented by Scott Boras almost guarantees he’ll opt be a free agent as soon as freaking possible.

11. handtius says:

That delivery is wacaduzical. Lets trade the the whole low-a team for Strasburg. Once he’s there, he’s so amazing, he can pitch, run behind the plate and catch the ball and no one will ever get a hit off him, so no need for fielders.

12. Tom Zig says:

How Worrell doesn’t misfire and hit people in foul territory is beyond me.

Is the TJ surgery due to his delivery?

13. C says:

Stausburg was a shortstop in HS, converted to pitcher in oollege.

14. Ivan Irizarry says:

Mark Worrell, FIU alumnus.