Apr

Anticipating a homecoming of sorts

Later this afternoon, the Yankees and their fans will welcome back a former member of the Yankee Brotherhood. This player, a Yankee for four years, had many memorable moments on the team. First, there was the time he hurt his buttocks; then, he crashed his car and never told the team; then, he somehow wrangled an Opening Day start out of the team only to go down with a season-ending arm injury two starts later.

That’s right; Carl Pavano is making his return to Yankee Stadium. It is a glorious day in Yankeeland and just what the team and its fans need after yesterday’s 22-4 loss.

Anyway, as the Bronx gears up to welcome Carl Pavano back to the stadium as only the Bronx can, Pavano’s former squeeze Alyssa Milano had some choice words for the Indians’ right-hander. Millano, a noted baseball fan, was at CitiField on Saturday for the Mets’ victory over the Brewers and chatted with Brendan Prunty of The Star-Ledger.

But later on she was asked about a former flame (or it is flame-thrower?), Cleveland Indians pitcher Carl Pavano. The two dated briefly around 2004, and when told that he was going to be pitching Saturday afternoon against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, she said: “That’s not going to be pretty.”

While she spoke highly of Pavano’s work ethic and dedication to baseball, she did make some rather candid statements about the former Yankees pitcher.

“He’s got a lot of talent,” Milano said. “But I think it’s become a head game for him. If I were him, I would’ve stayed out of the American League.”

So there you have it. Even Alyssa Milano thinks that Carl Pavano is a headcase who shouldn’t be pitching in the AL. Hopefully, as she said, this won’t be pretty.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Miles Roche says:

Amen, Ms. Millano!!!

From your mouth to G-d’s ears. . .

2. Spaceman.Spiff says:

We should’ve had her throw out the first pitch. Probably would’ve gotten in Pavano’s head even more.

3. Accent Shallow says:

Carl Pavano as a flamethrower? Eh, I’ll give the sportswriter a pass for using general baseball tropes.

Would love to see the Yankees give Pavano the same treatment the Indians gave Wang earlier today.

4. Thomas A. Anderson says:

Mo help us all if Pavano gets the win tomorrow…

5. VO says:

It’s times like this that I wish we were in the NL. We could of had Burnett throw a nice hard one right next to him while he was batting.

6. Jake S says:

I’ll be at the game! Sadly, I’ll be in the upper deck and unable to yell anything witty.

7. anonymous says:

Belly to belly this scumbag.

8. Tom Zig says:

Can we have her throw out the first pitch?

9. Rich says:

Milano has had a number of amusing things to say about Pavano over the years, but that aside, his problem is that he doesn’t miss enough bats. His career K/9 is 5.79, while league average is about is 6.4.

Win this one for Pete Abraham…

10. yankees=warriors says:

The batters should try to hit everything right down the middle, because chances are at least one will hit Pavano.

11. Yankees Ben says:

Won’t be pretty for Pavano i might add, cuz yesterday wasn’t pretty either.

12. LiveFromNewYork says:

He was boo’d on Opening Day pretty badly…

But I’ve had the feeling that Pavano is simply clueless. It’s not him, it’s everyone else.

13. ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

To get into the right mood for today’s game:

14. Anyone else still bugged by yesterday’s game? To the point where its beginning to ruin the season for you?

Its one thing to have a laugher here and there, those are easy to put out of your mind. But to have them once every 5 days is really throwing a wet blanket over this team for me. I know it shouldn’t, but it is.

• Check this out, from Ken Rosenthal

“The Yankees have allowed 70 runs in their six losses, an average of 11.7 per game. Take away Saturday’s debacle, and that average reduces only to 9.6 per game. The Indians, Rays and Orioles — three of the Yankees’ first four opponents — are strong offensive clubs. But not this strong.”

Its just tough to get your teeth knocked out on a regular basis and not be affected by that.

• ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

Not really. I kind of expected them losing yesterday but not this kind of massacre. Not really concerned about the pitching staff so far and the lineup should be fine when Arod comes back.

The thing that bothers me is, that the new stadium seems to favor hitters big time. And I don’t want the Yankees to have a lot of 12-10 games in the future. That is amazing, because the old stadium was very much a neutral park and the new one has the same dimensions. We’ll see how it plays over the whole season.

So my confidence is still 9.8 I think.

• I’m not talking about their playoff chances, its still April for crying out loud. I just mean that we’ve had our brains beat in so many times that its tough to enjoy a win by AJ today. And knowing Wang is still in the rotation (which he is) means that another beat down is right around the corner. Instead of anticipating to be rolling with a winning streak, you’re constantly bracing for that next pounding.

• Yeah I hear you. I think part of what’s made it so tough to swallow is that Wang has been the one getting embarrassed. He’s been such a rock for the Yankees for the last few years, he was really the one guy who gave fans a really secure feeling when he took the ball every fifth day. Like, “who we got today… ok it’s Wang. Good, we’ll get a W today.” To see THAT guy, the one who was the steadiest guy in our rotation the last few years, just getting absolutely destroyed like that, is disheartening to say the least. Watching him get embarrassed like that is like a punch to the stomach. AND at this point it’s not an isolated incident, now we not only have to worry about him getting knocked around but we also have to worry about what’s wrong with him and whether he can make it all the way back to his prior level of performance.

15. Hawkins44 says:

After that comment… I think I’m in love…..

16. Steve B Ball says:

Hey Carl how about a CMW impersonation today

17. Matt says:

Oh I’ll be there, and will join the rest of the Bronx Boo Birds to get under Mr. Softie’s skin…

18. Johnny says:

I wish I could be at the game so I could ask him to sign a douche for me. and also so I could hear the bleachers serenade him in the bullpen during warmups. he’s gonna be so rattled when he takes the mound(if he doesn’t come up hurt)

19. miketotheg says:

I f#@kin love that chick.

Pavano is gonna get pwned!!!