Apr

Breaking: Selig issues A-Rod 50-game suspension

While the Yankees knew they would be without their starting third baseman until mid May, the team received a bombshell just minutes ago when baseball commissioner Bud Selig announced a 50-game suspension for A-Rod this morning.

Citing his power to protect the best interests of baseball, Selig took the unprecedented step of suspending a player for failing a drug test before punishment measures were in place. The MLB Players Association plans to appeal the ruling.

“These players who use performance-enhancing substances offend all of us who care for the game, and I will not tolerate their actions,” Selig said during an early-morning conference call with reporters. “What Alex did was wrong and he will have to live with the damage he has done to his name and reputation. There is no valid excuse for using such substances, and those who use them have shamed the game.”

Selig’s decision came after nearly two months of soul searching and investigation. In February, Sports Illustrated’s Selena Roberts broke the news that A-Rod was one of 104 players on a supposedly anonymous list from 2003 of those who failed a drug test. A-Rod, who a year ago had denied ever taking PEDs, came clean in a series of interviews with Peter Gammons and Michael Kay and in a press conference in Tampa.

Meanwhile, a few weeks later, as the steroid fallout dissipated, another A-Rod story popped up. The Yanks’ clean-up hitter had to go under the knife for a torn labrum and was originally set to miss the first six weeks of the schedule. During A-Rod’s rehab in Colorado, though, Selig decided enough was enough. He didn’t want to hear about the “loosey-goosey” steroid era anymore and determined that a 50-game suspension for A-Rod would send a message to those still trying to evade drug tests.

While Gene Orza and his team at the Players Association are busy trying to figure out how to overturn this suspension, baseball insiders are worried about the labor unrest this move may generate. While popular with a media long critical of steroid uses, the PA believes that Bud Selig has overstepped his bounds as commission and has violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are left with Cody Ransom at third base until seemingly the end of June now. Ransom, 33, has never gotten more than 78 plate appearances in a single big league season and remains untested. While the Yanks were prepared to use him until May to fill a hole, the reality of a half of season without A-Rod may force them to package Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy in a deal for a third baseman.

With this revelation, 2009 becomes the third year in a row in which big news happened in Yankeeland. Last year, the team revealed that Kei Igawa would join the rotation due to an Andy Pettitte injury. In 2007, Roger Clemens announced his return to the Bronx just days before Carl Pavano was set to take the ball for Opening Day. Ironically enough, only the former half of that sentence was an April Fools joke then just as this is today.

Categories : STEROIDS!, Whimsy

1. jon says:

nice april fools

2. mikef says:

Good stuff!

BTW – does anyone think McPherson would be a good fit at 3B over Ransom?

• Yankeegirl49 says:

I don’t know if he would or wouldn’t be, however I do think it would be worth finding out.

• mikef says:

being the Marlins, the Yanks could likely offer someone nowhere near the 40man roster and grab him.

I think he is a bit of a butcher at 3B, and he is a lefty who will not have a position once A Rod comes back (which somewhat limits his use off-the-bench), but I wonder if his value over Ransom for even a short time would be worth it

• steve (different one) says:

if he has no home after A-Rod comes back, there is a very good chance it’s not worth it.

we’re talking about a guy with an OBP under .300 in the majors.

still, the power is enticing.

i’m on the fence here.

• Yankeegirl49 says:

They dont have to offer anyone..he was released.

3. Jamal G. says:

Honestly, even though I quickly realized it was a joke, it didn’t stop my stomach from sinking as the initial reaction after reading the headline. I think it would be apt to continue the *RAB tradition of issuing a nice “Fuck you” to the author of this post for any elevated heartbeats.

So, fuck you.

*OK, so maybe it’s not a true tradition, but it was funny as balls when this guy did it: http://riveraveblues.com/2008/.....ment-61393

4. Ace says:

Great job!! Very thorough and believable.

5. Bob F says:

NOT FUNNY!

6. Dave M says:

You had me for a second. Then I realized what day it was.

7. Steve says:

Not funny at all Dickhead

8. steve (different one) says:

ha!

9. Tripp says:

Dallas McPherson is still available!

10. Elle says:

I was totally gotten by this for a couple minutes. *shakes fist*

Nice job.

11. steve (different one) says:

a 50 game suspension would actually not be the worst thing ever for the Yankees.

he’s probably going to miss about 35 games anyway. instead of putting him on the DL, you suspend him, and you don’t pay his salary (i think that’s how everything would work).

so, would you be willing to hold him out another 15 games for $10M?

• steve (different one) says:

the Yankees might.

• Jamal G. says:

You honestly believe the Yankees would forfeit an extra 15 games without their best player to save an extra $10M? Why would they do that?

• Ed says:

It would be more than just $10m, probably closer to $14m as they would also get a break on the luxury tax.

I don’t think they’d do it unless they were confident he’d miss, say, 45+ games, but, this started me thinking about the validity of it…

The big reason to do it would be you could acquire, say, Mike Cameron in a salary dump trade and your payroll for the season stays the same.

So, which is worth more?

127 games of A-Rod + 162 games of Gardner/Melky

or

112 games of A-Rod + 162 games of Cameron

And keep in mind that if A-Rod misses 35 games, he’s probably returning at less than 100%, whereas he’d be in better shape if he returned later.

I haven’t thought this out too much, so I don’t know if it makes sense. Just throwing the idea out there. Feel free to substitute Cameron with someone else that you think is reasonable.

• steve (different one) says:

the difference between A-Rod and Ransom is about 1 win/month. this is 1/2 a month, or 1/2 a win.

1/2 a win for $10M is not a good use of resources.

i’m not saying you’re wrong, but i think the Yankees would seriously, seriously consider it.

$10M is a lot of scratch.

• Steve says:

hey different one … do you really believe the Yankees are better off without him?? Cody who? or maybe Buffalo Bill Cody

• steve (different one) says:

of course not.

this is a purely hypothetical question:

would the Yankees accept $10M for 15 games without A-Rod.

i am saying they might.

• Steve says:

I think that because he is who he is many forget this guy is a great player …. maybe a misguided human being but a great player non the less
          And yes every game he is not there is a game without potential HR’s RBI”S baserunning etc . etc.

12. WhizzoTheWize says:

What’s an A-Rod?

13. thisisthedavid says:

YO NOT FUCKIN FUNNY FAM, I nearly vomited.

14. Colombo says:

Damn…i was suckered…I was like this close to sending out a group email to my coworkers calling for Selig to be impeached…

15. Nice job, very believable

16. mustang says:

Nice job.
    You had me going.

17. KW says:

*applauds* had me going for a bit

18. patrick burke says:

april fools…almost believed that haha

19. rbizzler says:

You better hope that you don’t actually live at the RAB mailing address!

Kidding of course, and Happy April Fools to all.

20. JobaWockeeZ says:

I FELL FOR IT! ;_;

21. UWS says:

You really had it going, Ben, but then you slipped once you got to “…the reality of a half of season without A-Rod may force them to package Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy in a deal for a third baseman…”

22. kSturnz says:

i fell for it, but knew it would be easy as sin to overturn

23. DanElmaleh says:

I was mentally writing an angry email to Bud, accusing him of sabo-ing the Yankees. Nice work.

24. Burns says:

Well played…I’m going to need a new keyboard though after spitting a mouthful of lucky charms all over this one.

25. Matt says:

I see what you did there.

26. joeyD says:

If ARod was given a 50 day suspension at this point, it would surely be appealed meaning it would be weeks before the appeal would even be heard. And since ARod is injured and can’t play now, so if the suspension was upheld it would end up amounting to even more than 50 games missed.

Anyone who thinks that would be a good thing is mentally challenged.

27. Kilgore Trout says:

Got me. F’er.

28. Ryan S. says:

If I wasn’t planning April Fools jokes to my coworkers myself, I probably would’ve fallen for this … but I’m already in a prankster state of mind :D

29. Mike Pop says:

Would make the team better, though.

30. Chuck says:

If this was true, could the Yankees activate him on opening day and let the suspension run out while he re-habs?

31. YankeeScribe says:

Good one! You had me going for the first 3 paragraphs…

32. Russell NY says:

You scared the living hell out of me until I realized it was April 1.

33. Russell NY says:

I was fooled… you got me good =( I was jumping between MLB.com and Lohud Yankees trying to confirm it. I should have read the whole article and got my head out of the ground =(

34. Matt B says:

What Are your thoughts on Ryan Rabraun from the Tigers? He plays all over the field; outfield, second, thrid. I dont know about his hitting but he would be a solid bench player once A-Rod came back. Trade wise it would take a bullpen arm at the most. The Tigers are desperate for pitching. What do you guys think?

• Perhaps, but I doubt the Tigers are interested in moving any player they have under contract who doesn’t have a big salary. They’re probably going to be hemmoraging money.

All things considered, Brandon Inge probably has a lower price point in prospects than Raburn does, since Raburn is dirt cheap and Inge is expensive. They’d rather dump Inge and give all his AB’s to Raburn than vice-versa.

35. Mac says:

Good one. I was surprised RAB broke the story before ESPN haha. This was definitely better then last year when the Yanks supposedly signed Juan Gonzalez to a 2 year deal.

36. UNION YES. says:

Damn it RAB. Totally got me on that one. No joke, I was just like, “Why oh why did I draft A-Rod in fantasy.”

37. claybeez says:

Got me last year, but not this time. As soon as I saw the headline, I asked, “is today April Fool’s?” Skipped the story and went straight to the end.

38. Great…I’ve been gotten three times today so far.

First my girl gives me a package and tells me to drop it off at Fed-Ex, when I get there the girl at the counter goes “Um, this is marked for UPS” – Real funny

2nd, My dick head buddy tells me he as first row behind the dugout for Opening day at the stadium for us, at least he has tickets in the upper deck for Fridays game, but still Real funny.

Now you with this……

Damn I’ve been gullible today.

39. Grant says:

AFD and blogs oy vey

40. ARod getting suspended 50 games is patently and utterly ludicrous, I’m sorry. I can’t believe all you guys really fell for that. Really? Really? It took you MULTIPLE PARAGRAPHS to realize that was an April Fools Joke? Really?

Things I would have gone with instead:
    - Advance excerpts of Selena Roberts new book with lurid, extremely graphic description of gay sex between ARod and Kevin Brown
    - Tom Verducci breaking a story about a sexual tryst between John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman, including escapades in the YS press booth
    - Former Yankee and Red Sox great Wade Boggs found dead, from either choking on a chicken bone, overdosing on Natural Ice beer, autoerotic asphyxiation or all three simultaneously

41. Count Zero says:

That was just TOTALLY wrong!

I was so depressed there for about 30 seconds, I thought I was going to cry. Then I was like, “Go MLBPA!” Then I tried to click on your link and realized I had been had. :-)

Nice one.

42. anonymous says:

I knew this was fake. Went to ESPN first this morning and there wasnt a mass orgy.

43. Justin says:

Haha my heart stopped for a second, and then I looked for the nearest thing next to me that I could smash while yelling about how dumb Selig is.

I can’t believe I fell for it – I only realized it was fake when I tried going to MLB.com and didn’t see anything about it. Nice job guys :)

44. UNION YES. says:

Sad Trombone just April Fooled me. Is nothing sacred? Aside from Trombone and Instant Rim Shot, are there any other gems out there?

45. EStreetBobby says:

I fell for it. Called at least five people. All had the same reaction, YES!! Ransom in ’09, the real change we can beleive in!

46. Dan says:

The Yankees signing Gary Sheffield to play third base would have oddly been more believable – but this was a good one too.

47. Yankeegirl49 says:

I posted the link on my FB…Im amazed at how many people believed it and are standing on the ledge ready to jump.

48. Sean says:

got me….lol

49. DisplacedYanksFan says:

Not funny at all!

50. Zach Sanders says:

The link that goes nowhere gave it away. Nice though, had me scrambling for a minute.

51. Chris G. says:

You guys suck. I have a few extra gray hairs now. Funny though.

52. RobC says:

While A-Rod is out do you think they could get Sid Finch to play 3rd base?

53. McCaff says:

I hate you. I texted all my friends and cursed out every baseball official I could name. I was mad about the idea of trading Kennedy and Melky, but when i realized we could get Evan Longoria or David Wright in return, it settled my stomach a little bit.

54. Tony says:

oh my God how can selig do this..

Something must be done – I going to protest in front of MLB headquarters

55. Bruno says:

I knew it was April Fools from the start.

56. VO says:

I hate you guys

57. Chief says:

scared the crap outta me, but i assumed it was wrong b/c i didnt see it on pete abraham’s blog lol

58. AK says:

Oh man, the first thought that popped into my head was “Oh crap, this better be an april fool’s joke.” You totally had me going for the first few paragraphs, luckily I read till the end.

59. Currambayankees says:

Okay, this proves Bud is nothing more then and idiot. He’s suspending ARod for something that happened in 2002-2003 but never bothered to step up and suspend others who have admitted they used roids or came close to admitting it. IDIOT!!!

60. Currambayankees says:

You got me on that one;)

61. [...] revelations came that he failed a drug test while with the Texas Rangers, which led to a 50-game suspension in 2009. ESPN also identified two high school players as the sons of Lazaro Collazo, a longtime college [...]