May

After a long delay, frustration through the night

After sitting through a 145-minute rain delay in anticipation of a Joba Chamberlain start, Yankee fans on the East Coast sat through another three hours of frustration as the Rangers topped the Yankees 7-3. It was only appropriate that the last out would come on a called strike three.

For the Yankees’ bats, the game doesn’t look bad on paper. The team went 12 for 37 (.324) off of the Rangers pitchers with four walks and a hit batter. They stole five bases, and Mark Teixeira hit his team-leading 14th home run.

But the Bombers couldn’t string anything together. The Yanks left 12 runners on and went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position. They hit into three rally-killing double plays and lost their red-hot center fielder to a shoulder injury. It was just one of those games that, during the course of a season, a team is going to lose.

Of course, the troubles weren’t isolated to clutch hitting. Joba Chamberlain, making his first start since taking a liner off his knee, was not sharp. He needed 28 pitches to get through the first and had no discernible or effective fastball tonight. In the end, Joba wasn’t terrible: He threw four innings and struck out five, but he gave up four hits, four walks and three runs in his no decision.

Based on how young pitchers progress, I can’t get too upset over Joba’s start. He mostly persevered through four tough innings and showed that he could still get a few outs without his best start. He hadn’t thrown more than 0.2 innings over the last nine days and probably could have gone out for at least a few batters in the fifth.

With Joba out of the game, though, the bullpen let down the Yanks. Al Aceves and Phil Coke combined for three innings and gave up three runs on five hits. With Joba out of the game after four and Chien-Ming Wang reportedly shadowing the Yanks’ young right-hander, Joe Girardi turned to Aceves for the second night in a row, and the move backfired on him. While I understand that Aceves probably gives the Yanks a better shot at winning the game, Wang needs to get his work now that the Yanks have activated him. It’s easy to say in hindsight based on Aceves’ ineffectiveness that Wang should have been pitching, and that is basically what I’m doing. Either way, that knee-jerk roster move looks worse and worse every day.

In the end, the Yanks just couldn’t do it, and it hurt. They lost Melky Cabrera to a strained shoulder on the first play of the bottom of the first. He will have an MRI tomorrow after his fluroscopy turned up negative and will be out for at least a few days. With Boston and Toronto both losing, the Yanks missed a chance to move into a first-place tie. Instead, the AL East holds steady for another day.

These two teams will do it again tonight at 8 p.m. as A.J. Burnett goes for his first win since April 14. Hopefully, the results will be better than this morning’s frustrating loss.

Nick Swisher Notes: Over his last 144 plate appearances dating back to April 17, Nick Swisher is hitting .170/.328/.339. For the month of May, Swisher is at .119/.287/.217. He’s making David Ortiz look good. Either we’re seeing why the White Sox were so willing to trade him and his contract or we’re seeing a very, very bad slump. With Xavier Nady on the way back, Swisher’s playing time could decrease soon.

Categories : Game Stories

1. jim p says:

I swear I saw, a couple of days ago, Swisher striking out on a pitch while he was looking out at the fence and not the ball. If he just concentrated on making contact…

2. BigBlueAL says:

Joba’s WHIP for the season is 1.57. Not very good. To be honest he is lucky as hell his ERA is only 3.97 considering hitters are hitting .279/.379/.421 off him. At least he is averaging 8.93 K/9.

Just gotta get over this horrible 1st inning trend….

• He’s been a bit lucky this season, but the K rate helps limit the damage. It does appear as though most of the hitting off of him is in the first inning. (See splits by inning.)

Oddly enough, it appears as though hitters are better against Joba the first time through the lineup. (See Splits by times facing opponent in game.) That seems counter to the usual trends.

• Ace says:

Is it completely unrealistic for me to wonder why Joba doesn’t go out in the 1st inning and throw an 8th-inning-esque-98mph-heat/slider-blow-everyone-away type of inning and then settle down and pace himself after that?

• Bo says:

It’s unrealistic. That’s not what starters do. You see plenty of power starters have trouble in the first and then settle down in a groove. Fact of life.

• JP says:

I think you have to keep perspective on Joba. Look at the ERA of the Rays’ staff the last 3 years. It’s just the way pitching is today–Joba could finish the season with a 5.49 ERA, and that’s (gulp) okay…next year he may turn in a Beckett type season.

You have to look with your eyes and ignore the numbers, at least sometimes. Joba and Hughes make hitters miss. Maybe not as much as we’d like, yet, and maybe they struggle with control. But both of these guys are going to be fantastic pitchers if they stay healthy and continue to work at it.

3. Conan says:

Swisher’s making me yearn for Shelley Duncan – and that’s not a good thing.

• The one who signs his name -Scott says:

Let’s do something with Shelley already. Either let him prove he can play in the bigs, release him, or trade him. Do you really want him as a career AAA’er wasting a spot?

-Scott

• mustang says:

Swisher’s making me yearn for healthy Nady.

4. Drew says:

All around today sucked, but if we want to take some positives from it we can:
    Joba was obviously very off yet he didn’t completely blow our chances at winning.
    Al busted down the line (I think he made an out but it’s good to see him run fast again).
    Matsui had 2 hits, a potential slump breaker?
    Gritster looks like he can play.
    We stole some bases.
    D-Rob looked decent.
    Finally, not only did the AL East lose out (excluding b-more), but we are a day closer to having JoPo/Mo and Nady back.
    … My glass is half full as I reflect on the late night tough loss.

• Hobbes says:

Can you use nicknames that make sense. I didn’t stay up for the game, but from your post it looked to me like Alfredo aceves ran quickly to first base and Mariano is coming back soon from an injury.

5. The one who signs his name -Scott says:

It was ugly…that’s for sure….

Bad night….but they’ve been going good with many injuries…so not to worry about 1 game…

I don’t know what’s with Joba, but he’s not the same somehow…I’m not screaming for him to go back to the pen, but if he doesn’t improve the whispers will get louder. I truthfully think he’s another one who is injured and not telling people about it.

It’s important to get A.J. back on track. Tomorrow would be a good day to do so…

While I agree with the earlier article about sending down Cervelli, he’s another reason to get excited about the kids in the farm system. He just does everything right.

I think Gardner is going to shine and try to take advantage of Melky being out. He had a good start tonight as one of the few bright spots…

That’s enuff…going to bed….

-Scott

• Darth Stein says:

The whispers for Joba to the pen are made by MSM jackasses and their blind followers. The knee jerk Joba to the pen . . . no wait, Hughes to the pen crap is retarded. Basically if either of them pitch a bad game then it is 5 days of that pitcher to the pen and the other is our ace of the future. Just be patient. Young pitchers are inconsistent. What we should all be hoping for is that Joba and Phil both develop into aces.

6. alan says:

The problem is not that Wang’s here, but Girardi’s bullpen-managing skills, ok?

The first game was PRIME time to use Wang because we’re leading so much. But NO, he had to let Hughes try to finish the game, and when that didn’t work out, he STILL opted for Aceves over Wang. Great, the very next day, Aceves is needed, and he comes out ineffective. Didn’t Aceves say he’s not comfortable pitching back to back days?

So today, after Aceves gave up a few runs, he summoned Coke. Fine, we still had a chance to win then. But what was he doing pitching in the 8th inning? Coke is not Veras(=mopup) and shouldn’t be pitching mutiple innings! He serves up a HR, and by then, most of us were 95% certain the Yanks weren’t going to win…another PRIME time to use Wang! But once again he chose to use Robertson.

Haha, now the pen is left with a fresh Wang, Veras and Rivera. AJ had better pitch 8 innings or the offense score more than 10 runs later today, or we’ll be looking at another bullpen-caused loss.

• Sean C says:

Wang didn’t look that bad in his 3 innings against the Phillies the other day. I’ll take those three innings of relief over ANY CMW Start outing so far this year. And tomorrow, if we don’t get a quality outing from AJ (which he’s provided a few times despite not having much run support or a win in over a month and a half), I want CMW in the game. He NEEDS to pitch. Unless it’s a Mo situation after a strong AJ outing, I want to see CMW in for some relief innings. This is, of course, unless the Yanks feel the need to see if Hughes can toss another gem (this time against the Indians). Although, I’d love to see a healthy CMW against the Indians to avenge the brutal game in April… I still don’t like to talk about that game…

• JP says:

He did so look bad. Runs…hits…he was lucky that they didn’t get him for homers.

Get used to the Yankees without Wang as a force. I honestly don’t think we’ll ever see the “good” CMW again.

• steve (different one) says:

this is horseshit. i was waiting for someone to make the claim that Aceves pitched badly b/c he threw 8 pitches yesterday.

give me a break.

• alan says:

Uh, he’s gotta warm up before he pitch in a game, doesn’t he?
        And if we learned anything from Bruney’s injury, warm up pitches can be harmful too.

• steve (different one) says:

Haha, now the pen is left with a fresh Wang, Veras and Rivera.

except Robertson and Tomko are also available. you are skewing the facts to make your point.

• alan says:

I admit I forgot Tomko, but that doesn’t change the outlook of the pen much.

As for Robertson, noticed I used the word “fresh” in that sentence? I’m not betting on him pitching much later today because he was used earlier.

• JohnC says:

I was surprised when Aceves came out for that 3rd inning of work after pitching an inning the night before. I had a feeling he would get hit. I thought they were gonna bring in Veras or Coke to start the 7th.

• mustang says:

“The problem is not that Wang’s here, but Girardi’s bullpen-managing skills, ok?”

How was his “bullpen-managing skills” when they won 9 in a row and the pen was pitching lights out?

I agree with you on Wang, but I think there is more to that story the rest is just nip-picky.

• Bo says:

You will only see Wang in mop up duty. That much is obvious now.

• alan says:

Girardi’s way of managing the bullpen has been skeptical since the beginning of the season. The constant usage of Veras and Edwar had us fans cringing day after day. Turning Coke into a more-than-one-inning reliever hasn’t been promising as well.

When I was criticizing Girardi’s “skills”, I was specifically referring to the way he managed these 2 games.

• jsbrendog says:

revisionist history. the reason we won a lot of those walkoffs is because the bullpen came in and held it down giving us a chance to win. you = fail

• alan says:

You= Don’t know how to read

• jsbrendog says:

aboive is what you wrote. except that the reason we won some of those games is because the bullpen held it down and gave us a chance to win. so, not only do i know how to reead but you fail v2.0

you cant just focus on the negative to prove your point because there is a whole story, yet you choose to ignore it cause it devalues your points

• Tampa Yankee says:

“How many of those 9 games were walk off/ come from behind wins? The pen blew leads and gave up plenty of runs in that stretch as well. But I’m willing to believe the quality of our arms is more to blame than Girard.”

Lets see:
          5/23 Yanks 5 – Phils 4: Melky walkoff 1B. BP – 2 innings 0 runs (Pettitte was in-line for the loss)

5/17 Yanks 3 – Twins 2: Damon walkoff HR. BP – 3.1 innings 0 runs (Burnett left w/ game tied after 6.2 innings)

5/16 Yanks 9 – Twins 7: ARod walkoff 2-r HR. BP – 5 innings 2 runs – did blow 3-2 lead for Joba.

5/15 Yanks 5 Twins 4: Melky walkoff 2-r 1B. BP – 4 innings 1 run (Hughes was in-line for the loss)

Yes there are games where the BP gave up runs, but the only one that resulted in the Yanks having to comeback to win was the Phils game. And the only games where they really “blew up” was the O’s game where J. Albaladejo gave up 4 runs and last night

• Tampa Yankee says:

I mean “the only one that resulted in the Yanks having to comeback to win was the Twins game”.

• jsbrendog says:

thank you. so therefore, simon and simon were nto brothers in real life but only on television.

and alan = oaktag.

7. Spaceman.Spiff says:

I’m not convinced that something isn’t wrong with Joba. Even as he got moved to the rotation last year he was regularly sitting 93-96 and I remember he even hit 100 or 99 sometimes in his starts. He’s been sitting low 90s this year and today seemed to be sitting 89-91 really. Are the days of Joba pumping in a 98 mph fastball a couple times a game over or is there something wrong with him? Of course velocity isn’t everything but it could mean the difference between Joba being a bonafide future ace or a good, streaky 2.

• AlexNYC says:

I would worry when I get to see his next start. He did have a 9 day layoff although last Thursday he left early with the knee injury.

• Chris says:

Looking at gameday, he seemed to be throwing both 2-seam and 4-seam fastballs. There were quite a few pitches in the 92-93 range, so I wouldn’t be worried.

That being said, if he was off last night it could easily be related to his basically not having pitched in 9 days or the 2 hour rain delay.

• Mike R. - Retire 21 says:

How about:

C- A remarkable 23 year old who is still learning.

• Bo says:

Can we make more excuses for him? Results do matter at this level. And he better get used to the layoff because they are going to skip him during the summer.

• Darth Stein says:

Can we have some patience with a young pitcher? Young pitchers are inconsistent as they develop in the bigs. Joba has been remarkably effective so far but he is still going to have outings where he struggles.

• JP says:

I think that’s a legit question. Same thing with Hughes last season, and now this year he’s back at 92-95.

He could be throwing easier because of a mechanical adjustment…he could have a physical issue.

But I agree, this is not a guy who with a low-mid 90′s fastball who is a little flat this year. This is a guy we saw blow the best hitters in the league away with 98-100, and he’s now, pretty regularly, well below that. So something is going on. He used to whiff guys with the slider all the time because they had to be so on guard for the heater. Now, they foul off his breaking pitches most of the time.

8. Ace says:

Wang has to be throwing the ball poorly in side sessions that we don not see. What other excuse is there for not getting him into last nights game? Also, if he’s not the automatic choice to get in there, why isn’t he in the minors working? Something is awry.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

He WAS in the minors working. The panic button was pushed and he was sent up 30 days earlier than he was supposed to.

9. jonathan says:

Speaking of david ortiz, did anyone see his quote about “I will talk to reporters after I go long tonite.” What a douche! Oh and how did he do? He didnt go long but he did finally get a hit from the 6th spot in the line up. As for Swisher, I really dont know if this is a case of him slumping or pitchers knowing where to put the ball to get him to make bad contact. It seems like most of the other yankee batter (A-rod,Damon,Jeter especially) go up there with a plan looking for a zone in which they are confortable doing something with. Swish seems like he has the eye for BB or K but not so much for good/productive contact

• JeffG says:

I’d also say his swing looked quick and compact when he was going… now he never seems to get to a ball.
      That DP with bases loaded really took the air out last night.
      Hopefully he is going to put it together soon.

10. Rob says:

Won’t Nady be limited to the DH role upon his return? I was under the impression that he wouldn’t be able to throw for a while. Considering that, how will his return effect Swisher? Somebody has to play RF. Unless they put Cabrera in RF (when he’s healthy) and let Gardner stay in center…

• JeffG says:

Right – DH first but one would hope by July he can play his position as well.

• Darth Stein says:

I had a similar thought. I am hoping that Gardner can hold it together long enough so that once Melky comes back they can give Swisher a few days off.

11. mustang says:

Maybe they are getting ready to let Wang start a game. I just can’t see why they didn’t use him last night.

12. mustang says:

I wonder how long it will be before Gardner takes some of Swisher’s at bats? They just can’t keep carry
    that dead bat in the line up.

• jonathan says:

I was thinking the same things, Gardener tries to get walks just like Swish and is a force on the bases unlike swish. Plus it must be hard to turn a DP with Gardener running down the line. Gardener will be playing to get more at bats, which could be bad for swisher. Everyone praises Swisher for being “loose” maybe its time for him to tighten up alittle and be concerned about his monster slump.

13. JRVJ says:

Frankly, I would not be surprised if part of Swisher’s slump is the by-product of way too much playing time.

Sit him down every once in a while, and that might help him. With Melky being banged up, that won’t happen for a couple of days, but Swisher needs to rest every so often, too.

• mustang says:

“Swisher’s slump is the by-product of way too much playing time.”

Very good point. I always thought his game us more of a real good bench guy. A guy you could use in streaks here and there.

• JP says:

I agree. Let’s remember that with his walks and homers, Swisher could hit .190 and would be a more valuable offensive player than Gardner…or even Melky, were the Melk Man to sink to his 2008 form.

14. mark the spark says:

Swisher’s slump coincides exactly with the game that he was hit by a pitch on his shoulder, May 1st. He’s was 6 for 14 immediately before the beaning and then went 0 for 13 there after. The slump has continued since then. Not sure if he’s still hurting or if it’s just a slump as this point. But it sure looks like he was nursing an injury there for a while.

I was never a big fan of Swisher, but to say that he doesn’t care about his slump is just dumb. The guy wants to succeed as much as anyone. The fact is when he got hurt, Nady was on the DL, Matsui couldn’t play the field and Gardner was slumping, so he had to be out there. There was no one else on the Yankees roster who could play the outfield. He played without complaint or excuses. You have to give him some credit for that.

• Swisher’s slump coincides exactly with the game that he was hit by a pitch on his shoulder, May 1st.

He was hit on the elbow. His numbers had already started a steep decline prior to that HBP. It seems that the HBP just helped him along.

So maybe there’s a third choice for my last sentence: He rushed back from an injury and wasn’t forthcoming about how badly he was hurt.

15. mustang says:

“Either we’re seeing why the White Sox were so willing to trade him and his contract or we’re seeing a very, very bad slump. ”

Nick Swisher Outfielder 2009: $5.3 million, 2010: $6.75 million, 2011: $9 million, 2012: $10.25 million club option, $1 million buyout, 2013: Free Agent

Your not kidding.

16. Rob in CT says:

Well I’m glad I went to bed before the game started. The loss – hey, they’re going to lose some games. The injury to Melky, however, pisses me off. Enough with the injuries already!

17. Matt H says:

I really hope Melky’s shoulder isn’t something serious. He worked hard in spring, and waited his time after he didn’t get the starting role when they broke camp, and when he got his chance, he’s been earning his role, plus some.

As far as Nady replacing Swish, I’m not sure how soon that would be. Everything I’ve seen on Nady is that he will mostly be used as a DH and not playing the field cause they don’t want him to throw.

18. JimT says:

I think that Yankee fans should band together and vote Nick Swisher onto the All Star team.

• Darth Stein says:

Varitek style? Does that mean the MSM would have to start talking about all of his intangible skills, how he is just a winner, that you have to look beyond the numbers, or about his grit?

19. mustang says:

“Wang said Tuesday that manager Joe Girardi told him there are still no plans to insert him into the rotation and that he will continue with the Yankees as a reliever for now.”

“Girardi said that Hughes will make his next scheduled start on Sunday against the Indians in Cleveland, which leaves Wang as a reliever for now.”

OK so what’s up with last night ? Can someone explain why they didn’t use Wang if he is not going to start.

• mustang says:

“Either way, that knee-jerk roster move looks worse and worse every day.”

I’m starting to see Ben’s point.

20. Will says:

The worrisome thing about yesterday’s game was it looked exactly like the ones played before the winning streak. If the Yankees lose tonight, it will be 4 of 6 losses since the streak. It’s nice ot beat up on the Twins and Orioles, but the Yankees can’t keep losing series to good teams.

21. Bo says:

Swisher and Ortiz are competing to see who can be the AL’s worst hitter. Well, Brett gardner. Here’s your 2nd chance at it. He hits and Swisher will sit.

• Swisher and Ortiz are competing to see who can be the AL’s worst hitter.

Nick Swisher had a great April and a sucky May. His season wOBA of .363 is still good enough for 35th best in the AL, better than J.D. Drew, Derek Jeter, Ichiro, Matt Holliday, Carlos Quentin, Aubrey Huff, Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, Chris Davis, Grady Sizemore, etc. He’s probably not near as good as his April line and not near as bad as his May line, so his to-date season average is likely a good approximation of what his mean production levels will be over the last 4 months of the season.

Ortiz, meanwhile, had both a bad April AND a bad May, and his wOBA of .276 is currently 80th in the AL. The only regulars with enough PA’s to qualify with wOBA’s lower than Ortiz are B.J. Upton, Josh Fields, Ty Wigginton, Orlando Cabrera, Nick Punto, Adrian Beltre, Dioner Navarro, and Jose Lopez, who is dead last with a .243 wOBA.

Swisher’s slumping badly, but he’s still been one of the most useful players in the AL this year thus far. Ortiz is a traveshamockery. Don’t put them in the same breath again.

• Tony says:

Ben went through this. He didn’t have a great April—he had a great 10 games. He has been absolutely atrocious for 3/4 of the season.

• Nick Swisher, week by week, 2009:

Week 1 (4/6-4/12 BAL/KC): 20 PA’s, .471/.550/1.118 (1.668)
          Week 2 (4/13-4/19 TBA/CLE): 29 PA’s, .240/.345/.600 (.945)
          Week 3 (4/21-4/26 OAK/BOS): 26 PA’s, .190/.346/.286 (.632)
          Week 4 (4/27-5/1, DET/LAA): 19 PA’s, .429/.579/1.071 (1.650)
          Week 5 (5/4-5/1 BOS/TBA/BAL): 29 PA’s, .130/.276/.304 (.580)
          Week 6 (5/12-5/18 TOR/MIN): 28 PA’s, .087/.222/.087 (.309)
          Week 7 (5/19-5/24 BAL/PHI): 20 PA’s, .133/.350/.333 (.683)

Three great weeks, four bad weeks.

22. MattG says:

“While I understand that Aceves probably gives the Yanks a better shot at winning the game, Wang needs to get his work now that the Yanks have activated him. Either way, that knee-jerk roster move looks worse and worse every day.”

I thought we already debunked that. It was not a knee-jerk roster move by any means. The team as a whole decided that Wang was ready to return to the active roster, and when the Yankees needed a pitcher they called him.

Now, Cashman needs to tell Girardi that Wang must pitch.

• Darth Stein says:

Where did you get that idea? I don’t want to speak for the “debunking” crowd, but that was a horrible roster move. One that I am worried will haunt the team for the rest of the season and perhaps longer.

• Perhaps you debunked, it Matt, but the rest of us haven’t. Nothing we’ve seen from Wang indicates he was ready, and the Yanks’ non-use of him seems to bear that out.

• MattG says:

What did you see? You were in Scranton? Please don’t tell me your basis is 3 innings.

He pitched 13 shutout innings in Scranton, and reportedly was sitting at 93 with the sink back. RAB wrote about it, and in that post, I don’t recall anyone saying he wasn’t ready.

• He wasn’t reportedly at 93. As we wrote about it, he was at 91. Don’t put words in our mouth.

• MattG says:

I don’t mean to. Can I have a link?

• We linked to this Chad Jennings post which had Wang mostly at 91 and one 92 pitch. We reported on the low velocity in our own DL update. Then we linked to another CJ post that had Wang at 93 once and mostly around 91/92.

• MattG says:

“If he wasn’t in the mid-90s with the sinker, he shouldn’t have been activated. That’s where he needs to be.”

Fine. If that’s what you wrote at the time, I stand corrected. I do not recall reading anything nearly that definitive on this site until after he pitched his 3 innings.

• I just offered you three links that were either posts on this site or posts to which we linked. How is that not definite enough? I’m not asking that to be obnoxious. I’m truly wondering if we should be better spelling out where pitchers need to be post-injury.

With Wang, it basically boils down to this: For years, Wang has excelled by throwing his sinker at 94/95. If he’s not there, something is wrong, and the Yanks should have fixed it when they had the luxury of the rehab clock. This is not some out-of-the box revisionist point of view. It’s sound management.

• MattG says:

How is that not definite enough?

I guess because it’s not definitive? What was written was this:

“While it would be nice to have a healthy CMW in the rotation performing up to his capabilities, the most important thing is making sure he’s completely right and stretched out.”

What is being written now is this:

“Nothing we’ve seen from Wang indicates he was ready.”

Only one of those statements is definitive.

But, whatever. I’m sure that’s what Mike meant to write, and I am sure you agree with him.

• jsbrendog says:

google.com

• Count Zero says:

Agreed. If he wasn’t ready to come in for Joba last night, why was that roster move made? If they don’t have enough confidence to use him in that situation, he shouldn’t have been activated.

• JP says:

I think the roster move is reflective of the fact that they want Hughes to stay at the MLB level. At the very least, they think more of Hughes than Wang now (alot more, possibly), and are putting Wang in the bullpen because he can’t be optioned to the minors. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Wang traded near the deadline this year. Some team wants to unload salary and take a chance on a guy with potential, yet some “issues.”

I hope I’m wrong, but as far as Wang is concerned, I’m of the belief that his abysmal strikeout rate is hard evidence that he’s seen his best days. I don’t think he’ll ever be a front line starter again, and he may go rapidly south.

23. Swisher’s BABIP has dropped from .333 in April to .143 in May. Goddamn, and it seems to be a combination of things. First, there’s the fact that he’s striking out like it’s going out of style (30.0% so far) and not putting many balls into play (also a career high walk rate of 17%). The other problem is the types of balls he’s putting into play. When he’s making contact, it’s clearly not good contact. His LD% is down to 14.7%, by far the lowest of his career (his career mark is 18.8%). His FB% is also at 50%, up 6% from last year and up 4.4% from his career average.

24. j says:

I’m confused. I remember following Joba in the minors and part of his allure is that he was still throwing 97 in the 7th. What happened?

25. YankeeScribe says:

Nick Swisher is a nice guy but he isn’t an everyday player…

• Nick Swisher was an everyday player for the Oakland Athletics in 2006 and 2007. He put up the following lines:

2006: .254/.372/.493 (125+)
      2007: 262/.381/.455 (127+)

He’s an everyday player.

• YankeeScribe says:

His career BA is .240

Why didn’t you post his 2008 stats?

.219/.332/.410

• .332 is still around league average OBP and considering his BA, a .332 OBP is fantastic. Swisher’s peripherals were great last year, but some of the hits just didn’t fall (.251 BABIP).

• His career BA is .240

Batting average is a shitty, shitty metric. Batting average will always undervalue a guy like Nick Swisher, who creates a lot of good plays that help teams win without putting the ball in play.

Why didn’t you post his 2008 stats? .219/.332/.410

Because he wasn’t an “everyday player” in 2008. He was playing for a clinically insane manager named Ozzie Guillen who wants people to hit fewer homers because they’re rally killers, and hit more bunts because they’re rally starters. Ozzie benched him partially because he was slumping but primarily because he wasn’t playing the game the way Ozzie thought it should be played… which is the dumb way.

• YankeeScribe says:

Batting average is an often overvalued stat but it’s not useless. It’s useful in combination with other stats.

Swish has the numbers to be an everyday RF for several teams but not the Yanks. I think Cashman signed him for the depth he adds to the lineup, not for him to be an everyday player. But injuries have forced him to be in the lineup everyday.

• Nick Swisher would be starting every day on the Yankees, even if they were fully healthy; he’s better than Nady.

He’s had a crappy month and when he heats back up, he’ll look much better.

• JP says:

Yup. Better than Nady. And he’s in a slump, probably because of his shoulder. He’s an above average ballplayer, whose skills are “quiet.”

26. CTYankee says:

Ugh. Mike Francessa is killing me

27. Hova says:

Can someone who is smarter than me explain why Nick Swisher is so terrible? Did we just commit $20M over the next three years to an at-best bench player?

• YankeeScribe says:

At-best, he should platoon RF or DH. He’s no Paul O’Neill, Hideki Matsui, Gary Sheffield, or Bobby Abreu. he provides depth in the outfield but the Yanks need more production out of RF than Swisher is capable of.

• HE.IS.IN.A.SLUMP.

Swisher has hit at least 20 homers in each of his full seasons, plays better defense than the guys you listed, and is fully capable of putting up an .800+ OPS. Just because he’s slumping doesn’t mean he’s a “bench player”.

Swisher is definitely not as good as he was in April but he’s definitely not as bad as he’s been in May.

• Tampa Yankee says:

Don’t you realize NO Yankee is allowed to have one of these so called “slumps”? And that every position needs to be filled by a 5-tool, All-Star caliber player, including the bench!!1!11! That is why Cashman is the worst GM in all sports!!1!!1!

• YankeeScribe says:

Based on Swisher’s career numbers, he played over and above his potential in April and the law of averages is bringing him down to earth. Just as we knew Tex wouldn’t hit .190 all season based on his career numbers, we’re being blindly optimistic if we think Swisher will hit above .250 all season or provide enough offense to justify him being out everday corner outfielder…

28. It’s a hindsight comment. I’m perfectly willing to admit it if you’re going to play some immature “gotcha” game. Does being a jerk make you feel good about yourself?