Jul

Damaso Marte lives! (Or at least rehabs)

We have a Damaso Marte sighting. The Yanks’ left-handed reliever, missing in action since coming down with an (allegedly) WBC-inspired shoulder injury, is heading to rehab, Bryan Hoch says via Twitter. Marte threw 35 pitches during batting practice today and will begin a Golf Coast League rehab on Thursday. Getting a healthy and effective Marte back would allow the Yanks to seamlessly transition Phil Hughes or Al Aceves into the starting rotation while Chien-Ming Wang recovers from his shoulder injury.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. chriskeo says:

hey Ben, i think you meant sighting, not signing

2. Salty Buggah says:

Yay!

3. Ivan says:

A healthy Marte would be huge for the yanks. Gives them another above-avg reliever especially considering he’s a lefty.

As for the Marte will help influence the yanks to make Hughes a starter, is really another story for the simple thing that the yanks seem that they really want Hughes for the pen at least next season.

Hey I,ve said countless times, I would love for the yanks to Hughes a shot in the rotation. Greinke was a reliever at one point in his career while he struggled as a starter and once he came back as a starter he really improved. I think Hughes can do that.

4. chriskeo says:

This hopefully means Hughes can be a starter now, this is the positive i found in this news

5. RAB poster says:

Marte healthy would give them another mix and macth lefty.

But I still think we’ll be down one major arm if Hughsie leaves.

6. Salty Buggah says:

I don’t know why but I think the Yanks’ decide to keep Hughes in the pen and DFA Tomko.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, I haven’t read a word anywhere suggesting the Yanks are even thinking of taking Hughes out of the bullpen, and I’ve read a zillion comments from Girardi and Cashman saying the contrary. That they value his contributions out of the bullpen and don’t seem to want to mess with it. If anyone has a link quoting Cashman/Girardi saying they’re waiting for Marte to move Hughes back to the rotation, I’d love to see it.

Also, with Wang coming back in an (estimated) few weeks, I don’t see where Hughes would even pitch in the rotation, unless Wang is sent to the pen or Joba is.

I don’t see how Marte has anything whatsoever to do with Hughes. Maybe somebody can tell me something I’m missing.

7. chriskeo says:

They could decide to just DFA Tomko as Salty said, but what do you guys think of the chances the yankees go with a four man rotation

• Salty Buggah says:

0…not with all the injury possibilties in this era. A 6-man rotation more likely, even though it’s still not very much likely.

8. Brian says:

The Golf Coast is no place to rehab. But it would explain his activities while MIA.

9. crawdaddie says:

I think Marte coming back has no bearing on Hughes or Aceves this season. It gives Girardi another lefty option and to pitch some for Bruney, who’s far away from being a dependable reliever.

• The Artist says:

By the time you stretch Phil out, Wang is back. Both of which are a month before Marte could possibly be back.

• Not necessarily. Wang may need to go do the minor league rehab that we stupidly cut too short. Stretch Hughes out now and put him in the rotation on July 31st. Bring Wang along more slowly, not activating him until he’s not just healthy, but actually effective.

He can be activated when Joba’s shut down in August. With CMW’s injury and Joba’s cap, there’s now room for Hughes in the rotation for the rest of the year.

10. Tony says:

Can the Phillies do me a favor and trade for Halladay tomorrow? Thanks.

11. The One says:

I think the reluctance to put Hughes back in the rotation this year is basically not wanting to juggle him between the pen and rotation multiple time for risk of injury/uncertainty. I think they want a set place in mind that he is going to finish the year and put him back in the rotation for good next year. If he returns to the rotation and struggles, shifting him back into the pen looks kind of ridiculous and could have physical/mental ramifications. Not saying he belongs in the pen because I would like to see him start but I understand it.

12. Accent Shallow says:

If healthy, Marte is definitely an asset. Here’s hoping he can turn his lousy numbers with the Yankees around.

13. Lanny says:

Marte’s agents should be hailed as the biggest winners of the 2008 off season for getting him a multi yr deal.

14. [...] assignment by allowing a run on two hits in an inning of work for the rookie level GCL Yankees. We heard this was going to happen the other day, but I don’t think any of us were going to believe it until we actually saw it. [...]