Sep

Open Thread: Old Stadium demolition photos

Old Stadium with NYC skyline

The appropriately named Demolition of Yankee Stadium blog has a few new photos of the ongoing demolition at 161st Street and River Ave. The facade is gone, which is pretty sad. In related news, the demolition of old Tiger Stadium was completed Tuesday, surely a sad day for Detroit natives.

* * *

In other Yankee news, Jerry Hairston underwent an MRI scan today on his wrist. The scan showed tendinitis in his left wrist, and he received another cortisone shot. He is day-to-day and remains on the bubble for the Yankee playoff roster. Meanwhile, the Pirates, home to the Yankee pitching retreads, claimed Anthony Claggett off of waivers. He will join Jeff Karstens, Ross Ohlendorf, Steve Jackson, Eric Hacker and Casey Erickson in Pittsburgh. That’s quite a motley crew.

* * *

Use this puppy as your open thread for the night. The Mets are off just like the Yanks, but the Tigers and Indians square off on the MLB Network. Alex Ovechkin comes to the Garden to take on the Rangers in preseason action as well. The Devils are also playing. Talk about whatever you want, just follow the guidelines and be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

• PinstripesForeverDougie says:

Thank you so much Congressman Mondesi for introducing me to

these histeric comedic stories featuring the funniest coach to

hit New York since Jeff Van Gundy (seriously, after he rode Zo’s leg in that playoff game, it’s hard not to smle at Droopy ;)!

1. crawdaddie says:

Hairston on the bubble? I’ll be shocked if he’s not on the playoff roster for the first round.

2. JGS says:

I was expecting much worse on Jerry. good to hear

3. donttradecano says:

Kenny Phillips career may be over. What a bummer.

4. Marcus says:

I recently found out that Steve Jackson is married to a girl I knew in high school. Too bad I didn’t know that until he left the Yankees.

Through her friend I heard he was pretty upset with how the Yankees called him up to the bigs but never pitched him in the two weeks he was up. Understandable, but I obviously I sympathize with the Yankees’ perspective.

5. Charlie says:

this is ridiculous with the pirates. we joked around when claggett was DFA’d the pirates would get him, but they actually frickin do it again. i’m a little disappointed that cashman couldn’t get anything for him though, from his MiL numbers he seemed potentially useful. oh well

• Accent Shallow says:

His K-rate was cut in half (!) this year. 8.4 -> 4.7 (Ok, not half, but sheesh)

So either’s he injured, or he just sucks.

6. So…Sean Salisbury is kinda nuts, huh?

7. JMK says:

Continuing with the injury theme, Giants safety Kenny Phillips is done for the year. Apparently, he has arthritis in his knee, and may require microfracture surgery. This isn’t like an ACL or MCL injury – this is a degenerative condition. The concern is not him playing this year, it’s if he’ll even be able to walk up the stairs pain-free. Really sucks for him.

8. Moshe Mandel says:

Hey, Mondesi, I just read the thread from this morning with your relegation idea. I thought you would find it interesting to know that we discussed that very idea in sports law two weeks ago, comparing baseball to the european soccer system and discussing whether it would be in the best interests of baseball to move to such a system.

• Oh cool. Are you in law school? The closest I ever got to discussing sports law when I was in school was when I wrote a paper about labor issues in sports for a labor/employment seminar.

What happened in the discussion in your class? I mean, as a practical matter, it’s clearly not going to happen. Entirely too many heads would explode, and I’m not sure it’s really worth it when they have a system that, as much as I think it can be improved, works just fine for the vast majority of people. It’s an interesting idea, though. The way I laid it out this morning, they’d have plenty of playoff series and would even be keeping fans of the mid-to-lower level teams engaged, so I thought it sounded like a pretty cool system.

• So if it were to start next season, how would you divide them? 15 best records in the AL, the rest in the NL? You’d also have to either eliminate or impose the DH league wide, too, right?

• I don’t know… Obviously you’d have an issue that first year. I guess you could take the top 7 or 8 from the AL and the top 7 or 8 from the NL (take the top 7 from each league and then the next best team from either league as the 15th team), just so you’re not screwing one league too badly.

And yeah, I’d make the DH an MLB-wide rule.

• And yeah, I’d make the DH an MLB-wide rule.

And I’m officially on board.

• The Artist says:

Even if NL execs and their fans don’t want it? You’ll still impose it on them?

• Why would NL ex/fans like the idea any less than AL execs/fans? Just because I’m calling the inferior league the National League? If they had a problem with that I’m pretty sure we could figure out another way to name the leagues, that’s not really a substantive part of the plan. They’re just names.

• The Artist says:

No, the DH rule. NL execs and many of their fans don’t want that, and its very important to them.

• Ahhh, my bad. Eh, it’s my hypothetical, I say the DH rules. If Bud Selig actually wants to implement this plan I’ll let him deal with telling the NL owners and fans to F off if they have a problem with it.

• The Artist says:

But its not just the owners. Many fans of the NL wear batting the pitcher as a badge of honor. They’re traditionalists and like the original game the way it was/is. I don’t know why anyone would want to impose a rule on them that they don’t want and would turn them off to the sport.

Let’s reverse this, would you like it if Tim McCarver was elected Commish and banned the DH by fiat? I wouldn’t.

• No, of course I wouldn’t like it. But whichever way it goes, one group of people is going to pissed. That’s just life. I think, given the structure I laid out, you’d either have to go all-DH or all-no-DH. If some people have their feelings hurt, so be it. They’ll get over it the same way AL fans who didn’t want the DH got over it.

Dude… It’s not like MLB is going to implement my system. And if they did, this would be the least of their worries.

• Marcus says:

Well a lot of NL fans like the DH, not to mention all the traditionalists who cling to it. That might be what he is referring to.

• Moshe Mandel says:

I am in law school. The general discussion was about whether the current league setup is best for competitive balance and maintaining interest in the game. The idea was taken much as you describe it- it was seen as an interesting idea, but one that would replace a system that most baseball fans like. Also, an interesting portion of the soccer system is the ability for new teams to join the league and play their way to the top, unlike the closed system of ownership in baseball.

• “Also, an interesting portion of the soccer system is the ability for new teams to join the league and play their way to the top, unlike the closed system of ownership in baseball.”

This is the only part that I think absolutely cannot translate to MLB. MLB teams have such large player development systems that I don’t think you can introduce new teams to the equation. So, unlike the Premier League, you can’t have teams from lower leagues playing their way into the inferior league in MLB. It has to remain a closed system, I think.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Agreed. That was the angle that brought soccer into the discussion (open v. closed system), but it quickly turned into a “best interest of the game”/fan experience question: would it help increase interest?

Today we spent most of our time discussing Flood v. Kuhn and the reserve clause. I love sports law. Sure beats the standard law school fare.

• thurdonpaul says:

and that has to do with sports law how ?

• Moshe Mandel says:

We were discussing commissioner power and the best interests of the game, which spawned into a discussion of the closed system for ownership and whether that was good for the sport and competitive balance. The soccer system provides a stark contrast.

9. Tom Zig says:

The doctor that Jerry Hairston saw is the husband of my 9th grade english teacher.

10. Dela G says:

Did anyone see how 3000 fans came to see the pirates and reds play?

YIKES!

11. Lissette says:

Any chance Detroit having to play hard down the wire results in Verlander not lined up for game 1 of the ALDS?

12. Jersey says:

Wait…what? Hockey?

13. Bob Stone says:

There were many great posts today and a lot of great comments. Great job Mike , Joe and Ben. I was too busy with work today to comment in any of them. I really feel like I lost out. I would have liked espcially to have joined the comments on the playoff system.

14. Lenny says:

Cool site with those demolition photos…

15. The Artist says:

-Add a Wild Card team

-Make them play a ‘Play-in’ game on the off day after the season

-Leave everything else as is

-Fuck the babysitter

-Go to sleep happy

• The Artist says:

I know people roll their eyes instantly at ADDING a playoff team, but by adding a WC and making the play each other, it’s an enormous disincentive to being a WC team. Now, they get an almost equal position in the ‘crapshoot’ playoff. But by making them PLAY their way in, the WC teams are guaranteed nothing.

Also, it would force them to
      -use their best pitcher
      -fly to 3 cities in 3 days
      -possibly blow out their bullpen if the game goes extra innings.

I would also consider the Play-in to be a playoff game (not a regular season game as it is today) and would make the teams use their 25 man ALDS playoff roster, not their expanded 40 man September roster as they do today.

All of this would be tremendous disincentive for a manager with a shot at the division to sit on his fallback position of the WC. If he does, he’s guaranteed nothing. That will make September much more interesting than it is this year, or in most years in many divisons.

Play-in games are tremendous theater, I would watch any two teams play one game for a ticket to the post season. Baseball is at its best in deciding games, this would guarantee at least two of them each October.

16. Anth says:

Who do you think should be the starting CF next year. Thought this was a cool post.

• Bob Stone says:

Interesting article. Gardner rates a little better than I thought he would.

• The Artist says:

It is. Good read, thanks for posting it.

I actually liked exactly what Girardi did this year. I think BOTH Melky and Gardner are flawed, so I want to pick my spots with both of them and make them compete against each other for playing time. Especially in the case of Melky, since he’s seemed to get distracted at times. In Gardner’s case, he just needs to improve his game, particularly at the plate.

• handtius says:

good article. I don’t think they need a trade for a cf. I really didn’t mind the mixed use of Grits and Melk (sounds like breakfast). Anyone think they’ll go after Cameron again, as a stop-gate?

17. Tampa Yankee says:

Are you kidding me? Stark thinks the Sox rotation is the best of the postseason teams and the Yanks’ is 4th? Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

18. handtius says:

This was my idea from the payoff open thread. I got there kind of late so only tommie, Mondesi and Jack saw it (or maybe no one else was interested…)

I have never seen a comment section with such long posts. It’s amazing (and not in a bad way). I can’t go through all of it, because that would take a week and a half.

I really have no major issues with the post-season. I think the team with the best record should be give a little extra push at being the World Champ though.

-I would start with the 5 game series. Best team plays the worse in their league, regardless of division.

-The Team with the best record needs 3 wins to move on, the team with the worst, needs 4. This tilts the advantage toward the better record team, by attempting to remove the “lucky streak” from the scenario. In essence, it makes it a 5 game series for the better team and a 4 game series for the weaker team.

-home field in the World Series simply goes to the team with the best record.

That’s all I’d change.

• Bob Stone says:

I saw the post and congrats on your Axl Award.

• The Artist says:

You lost me at 3 wins/4 wins. Its very creative, but too unfair. Its akin to saying “Best record gets 4 strikes per batter, WC gets three”. You can’t have two sets of rules like that.

• Bob Stone says:

I like your ingenuity and the objective you are trying to reach with your plan. But one thing bothers me.

There a are lot of things you could do to provide advantage to the team with the better record like playing the entire series in their park, taking away the DH for the weaker team, and many others that I’m sure we could all dream up. I just don’t like different rules in the same match-up governing how each participant can win.

• “Let’s say the series goes to a full five games and the underdog that has to win 4 games has three wins in the series. They win the series on the field but they don’t win and don’t advance. In my book if you win, you win. It’s not conditional on differing rules for each participant. Imagine the outrage in the underdog’s press, etc.”

Obviously the series wouldn’t end with the wild card team up 3-2. The point is that the series doesn’t end until either the favorite wins 3 games or the wild card team wins 4 games. They’d play more games if the series was 3-2 wild card team.

• Bob Stone says:

Logic Fail – but the point remains. The weaker team already won. But they didn’t. That is my point.

• handtius says:

I see both your points, but I find it an interesting concept. If the plans are laid out ahead of the series (obviously), why would the wildcard team complain. They know they need to win 4 games and the better record team needs to win 3. The rules of the game don’t change, just the # of wins needed.

• “The weaker team already won. But they didn’t. That is my point.”

Well… No. They didn’t win. They would have won, under the old rules, but under the handtius rules they don’t win until they win 4 games. Your problem is that you’re still thinking of it as a 5 game series, when it’s not. It’s a first-to-4 or first-to-3 series, and they just play until one of the teams attains the number of wins it needs. Forget about the fifth game being the end of the series, it’s not necessarily.

19. Drew says:

Anyone watching Flashforward, the new show on abc?

Pretty sick so far.

20. andrew says:

is anyone else a recent college grad and still living at home with no job? holla.

21. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I still don’t see the hype around Clay Buchholz.

22. Mattingly's Love Child says:

Hilarious start to the Office tonight!

23. Tom Zig says:

Does anyone watch Sons of Anarchy?

• Steve H says:

Yes, it’s awesome, though I haven’t watched any of this years episodes yet. Day off tomorrow and I will be catching up. The ending to last season was ridiculously good.

• PinstripesForeverDougie says:

anything with Ron Perlman rocks! Of course can top his days on Beauty and the Beast!! Loved watching that show with my mom on Sci-Fi growing up. Hmm, wonder whater happened to Linda Hamilton?

24. Bob Stone says:

This place is like a morgue tonight.

25. Tom Zig says:

damn Royals, can’t you do anything right

• Bob Stone says:

At least they won the first two games against the BoSox. I was thinking the BoSox might win every game except Greinke’s start. So I am pleased that the Royals got two wins so far. I know a KC win tonight is a long shot tonight ut the game ain’t over yet.

26. Game One of the 2000 WS is on YES. Chucky Knobs just got a sac fly to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth.

27. Salty Buggah says:

Thank Mo for no game tonight. Had to stay up until 5:15 reading about Veblen, Marx, and Smith economics. Had school at 7 and I am ready to sleep finally. If there was a game, I probably would have watched it and be even more tired so, again, thanks Mo.

28. Moshe Mandel says:

So, it is quiet here tonight. Desert island CD?

Mine is Elephant, by The White Stripes, with Nevermind coming in a close second, and Use Your Illusion II third.

Anyone else?

29. Continuing some earlier discussions:

The Designated Hitter (the concept, not the middle linebacker of the First Place in the AFC East New York Killing Jets) should be instituted across all leagues. The NL and one half of the NPB are the only significant holdouts.

It makes the game better. Nobody wants to watch pitchers hit. Get the hell out of the past, NL, and stop making baseball be the only sport dumb enough to have a major rule difference between half of it’s teams.

DH for everyone. You know I’m right.

30. J.A. Happ has a .256 BABIP and a 6.2 K/9. Do I smell an ERA correction for next season? However, a decent 103 tRA+ and 4.37 FIP kinda bode will for him.

31. Man, does Ole Miss suck balls. This is the #4 team in the country? Pathetic.

32. Moshe Mandel says:

Tigers bullpen should be fun in the ALDS. Work the count on Verlander and then go to work.

33. Okay, I just came into BBTN after flipping channels, though I heard them discussing Haap before and heard “back of the bullpen” and I noticed they just had a Phillies graphic on the set; did they actually suggest making Haap the closer for the playoffs?

34. Steve H says:

A few great posts in Klaw’s chat today, though I’m sure they will soon be removed from the site due to the questioning of Captain Varitek’s greatness.

Thomas (Naptown)
    Why is there so much emphasis on a catchers ability to call games? I mean, shouldn’t a pitcher know how to do that, anyway? And if a catcher is bad at it, can’t the pitcher, you know, just not throw that pitch?

Keith Law
    I couldn’t agree more. I think in reality, it’s one of those immeasurable skills that some baseball people like to use to defend otherwise irrational decisions.

Bones (Boston)
    When Brad Penny went to SF, he said he liked Molina calling more breaking balls early in counts. Obviously, many Boston writers either fainted on the spot and/or were outraged. Is it possible the Captain DOESN’T know everything?

Keith Law
    Varitek is a lousy game-caller and has been for years. I’m pretty sure he lost his thumb, middle, ring, and pinky fingers on his right hand, since he calls for so many fastballs.

35. Mouch "Half Man Half Couch" says:

I just read on MLB Trade Rumors that the Cubs would take pennies on the dollar for Big Z. Do you think the Yanks would have any interest in him ?

36. The girl in that Palm Pre ad scares the shit out of me.

37. Hello says:

Verlander threw over 120 pitches again tonight. Is Leyland on a mission to destroy his arm before the end of the season?

38. Eric Norwood just played himself into the second round of the NFL draft, minimum. Probably the bottom of the first round.

39. handtius says:

I got a snake, man! One time I fed it some beer man! It was slithering this way and that! It was all fucked up!

40. PinstripesForeverDougie says:

OMG!! My lovable Knickerbockers have ensured the 8th seed. Yup, get ready Celtics we just resigned Mighty Nate Robinson & David “High School Dunk Champ” Lee!!!! Yeah, things are looking up, baby!!

I miss the 90s

/ every Knicks fan in the world’d

41. Bob Stone says:

I’ve been busy with work the last couple days and just caught up with the Alex Ganzalez admission that he was a troll. Not really a shocker. I thought he went out with class, and Ii, for one, will miss the vociferous debate and fun that his posts created.

42. Tank the Frank says:

Can we add this as part of the “Kruk-like Nonsensical Post of the Day?”

People really are drinking the Red Sox Koolaid, aren’t they? Here’s my favorite part:
    Jon Lester and CC Sabathia (pitching in the) three-game series is pretty impressive. They’re quite a contrast because CC’s not pitched well against Boston and Lester’s never lost to the Yankees (3-0, 3.11 ERA in seven starts). It’ll be pretty interesting. Emphasis mine.

Hmmmm. That’s an interesting theory. Let’s test that one out shall we?
    CC Sabathia vs Boston this season:
    2-1, 2.95 ERA, 21.1 IP, 16 H, 4 BB, 23 K – That’s right. Four walks, 23 strikeouts.

I’m about to freak out.

43. Omar says:

This is the reason why Buchholz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joba, he doesn’t shit his pants everytime he’s handed a baseball.

• Tom Zig says:

Do you work for John Kruk?

• handtius says:

actualy, he did for quite some time and went back to the minors, back to the majors, back to the minors…oh and he’s got some years on joba as well. look up their minor league stats and games played.

• Omar says:

It’s undeniable that he’s demonstrably better than Chamberlain at this point.

• Tom Zig says:

Buchholz also had 443 innings in the minors

Joba had 88.

• Omar says:

He also has shown some semblance of command, Joba has not. Two plus secondary pitches, Joba’s barely shown two average secondary pitches this year. Joba’s been beyond awful, like Melky 2008 levels of suck the past two months.

• Tom Zig says:

Again my point is that Buchholz has had more time to refine his craft. Joba has not. Give him time.

• handtius says:

Actually, Joba has 3 plus rated pitches. And command comes with time. Please review: 88 to 443 inning pitch in the minors, 271 to 176 inning pitch in the majors, 3.55 to 4.65 era in majors, 276 to 144 SO at the major league level, 85 to 84 (year each was born). Who looks better there?

• Omar says:

His walk rates are absolutely abysmal. Chamberlain from 07-08 =/= Chamberlain 09, command comes with time? His BB/9 is 4.36 that’s WORST in the AL amongst qualified starters, 5th worst in all of baseball. Three plus pitches? Have you seen him this season, the stuff isn’t the same as it was back in 2007.

• Tank the Frank says:

That…

Or maybe it’s because he’s older, had more professional experience, and a more refined repertoire of offspeed pitches.

• PinstripesForeverDougie says:

Omar, can we re-visit this conversation when the Angels knock Pukeholtz out of a pivotal game 3 in the 4th inning at Fenway. It’s gonna happen, and it might cause massive strokes at the Nation in Bristol.

Trust me, in a few years you’ll be eating those foolish words. And by the way how can someone, as you put it “shit his pants” when he looked good as anyone for 3 starts after the all-star break?

I swear if you show your face tommorrow when Joba dominates the Roid Sux and keeps the pinstripers in the game long enough to defeat that ever vulnerable Boston middle relief! Right, Kruk ;)

• Omar says:

If he dominates tomorrow night I’ll go by “Joba Rules” for the remainder of the season. If not, we all have to call for trading him.

• The Yankees do not have to trade Joba if he doesn’t pitch well tomorrow night. That’s asinine.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Why do I get the feeling that if Joba pitches well in the postseason or for the first month next year, we will never hear from you again?

• Omar says:

Look, if he proves me wrong, I’ll admit it…as a matter of fact I’ll be glad too. I have a Chamberlain jersey, I at one point liked him a lot…however after this season it’s impossible to not be down on him. Furthermore, it’d be stupid to trade him now because his value is so low that they’d be lucky to get Jacoby Ellsbury for him.

• handtius says:

You do realize that joba is in his 1st year as a full time starter and never pitched this many inning in his life? It takes time to build that endurance. He didn’t have the luxury of being shitty enough to have to stay in the minors to get experience while gaining endurance. You are complaining that we had such a dominate minor leaguer that he had too come earlier then expected and he’s hitting some rough patches now in his 3rd year and first as a full time starter.

• Omar says:

Do you realize that there isn’t an AL pitcher with worse command?

• Tom Zig says:

Jose Veras, Edwar Ramirez, Mike Dunn, Mark Melancon, Kyle Farnsworth, and a myriad of others all scream hello

• Omar says:

Yeah because they’re on a 25 man roster for a significant period of time…though I should have specified starter. Also, it’s encouraging to know that he isn’t the shittiest pitcher in the Yankee organization and they have a plethora of arms much shittier than he is.

• handtius says:

Buchholz has only 77 inning this year and has a 1.37 whip. not much better then jobas 1.54.

career wize:

Joba: 1.37

Buchholz: 1.50

44. Drew says:

IPK walked two people yesterday. If he walks two people in his next outing, let’s call for him to be traded.

/Omar’d