Sep

Yanks add five as rosters expand

With the Major League rosters expanding today, the Yankees have opted to add five players in their initial round of call-ups. While four are familiar faces, one — Michael Dunn — will be making his Bronx debut this month.

Chad Jennings first brought us word of these call-ups this afternoon. As expected, Ramiro Pena, Francisco Cervelli, Mark Melancon and Edwar Ramirez will rejoin this team as well. Jonathan Albaladejo remains the odd man out.

Dunn is an interesting case simply because he has been largely off the Yanks’ radar this year. The other four call-ups have all spent significant time in the Bronx this year, but Dunn has not. Dunn, a lefty, is a 24-year-old pitcher who spent time at AA and AAA this year. On the season, he has thrown 73.1 innings in relief and has 99 strike outs. While he has walked 46, opponents are hitting just .216 against him. He’ll see some low-leverage innings out of the pen and should provide Phil Coke with a few days off. I’ll be curious to see how his K/BB ratio plays among selective hitters in the American League.

For now, these five players will be the only ones summoned to the big leagues for the Yankees. The team is, after all, still involved in a pennant chase and won’t be resting its regulars until much later in the month. Meanwhile, Scranton too is involved in its own pennant chase. The AAA farm club has a 3.5-game lead in its division, and the Yanks won’t strip it of too many regulars before the season is out.

With these five men up, the only remaining members of the 40-man roster eligible for call-ups are as follows:

Jonathan Albaladejo
Andrew Brackman
Anthony Claggett
Wilkin De La Rosa
Christian Garcia
Ian Kennedy
Kevin Cash
Juan Miranda
Shelley Duncan
Brett Gardner

We’ll see Gardner back as soon as his thumb is healed, and we’ll probably see Shelley, Miranda, Claggett and De La Rosa at some point this month too. The rest are injured or not quite ready for the Show.

Update: Feinsand notes that both Shelley Duncan and Austin Jackson could join the team once Scranton is done with its playoff run.

Categories : Transactions

1. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I’d like to see Miranda get some at bats. Also see if WDLR’s fastball can get out ML lefties.

2. ClayBuchholzLovesLaptops says:

My fear with Dunn is, that the more advanced hitters will simply stay away from his borderline pitches which AA/AAA hitters swing at. He would probably walk even more batters then he is now.

3. A.D. says:

As many readers, excited on seeing Dunn, what type of stuff does he have? Didn’t see a prospect profile on him.

• pat says:

Converted outfielder (coincidentally like my boy Wilkin), 94-95 with the FB and a plus slider. He also throws a good but inconsistent changeup, which is probably the main reason he couldn’t stick as a starter. He also supposedly has good command of the FB, but with the high walk totals that is suspect.

• Sam says:

He’s got very good stuff for a lefty, the knock against him being that he’s got below-average control.

• Salty Buggah says:

Mike says he says he has better stuff than Coke so thats good because Coke is pretty good against lefties (except the HRs of course). Too bad he doesnt have a lot of control. Hopefully he’ll figure it out because he has a lot of upside.

4. pat says:

I wanna see some WDR.

5. Tom Zig says:

Why Claggett? Isn’t there anyone else?

6. Billy says:

i think dunn can be a lefty version of d-rob – good strikeout pitcher who walks alotta batters. im glad to see him up and im eager to see him pitch soon.

7. JobaWockeeZ says:

Edwar is back too?

• Sam says:

Apparently. God knows why though, he’s just not an AL East pitcher.

• Salty Buggah says:

Jeez. He wont be pitching important innings. He’s here for depth and to soak up innings so the regulars can get a rest. Besides, he can be dominant at times so it wont be that bad as you’re making it out to be.

• Billy says:

i agree with salty

• Jeffrey says:

Edwar has pitched pretty well in AAA this year. 3.18 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 10.94 K/9, 2.82 BB/9, .213 AVG. I could see him being used in low leverage situations and to back up Joba if the Yankees have lead.

• Cashman says:

Edwar was pretty good in spots last year. His changeup is incredible; you need the fastball to go with it, and he struggles with this. If he doesn’t have the fastball, they end up hitting or at least fouling off the changeups, and then he’s screwed.

I remember his MLB debut. He struck out the side…I think it was in 2007; don’t remember the opponent.

• NZ says:

He’s practically anorexic.

8. Chris says:

Is Cash injured? Otherwise, how sad is it that someone who has played in the majors for parts of 7 seasons is considered “not quite ready for the show.”

9. Salty Buggah says:

I am very very excited to see Dunn pitch…hopefully tonight, when we are blowing out the O’s.

10. boreifs says:

Albaladejo is also on the 40-man roster.

11. Dela G says:

I’m super stoked for Dunn

• Simon: Gentlemen, I’d like you to meet your captain, Captain Oveur.
      Clarence Oveur: Gentlemen, welcome aboard.
      Simon: Captain, your navigator, Mr. Unger, and your first officer, Mr. Dunn.
      Clarence Oveur: Unger.
      Unger: Oveur.
      Dunn: Oveur.
      Clarence Oveur: Dunn. Gentlemen, let’s get to work.
      Simon: Unger, didn’t you serve under Oveur in the Air Force?
      Unger: Not directly. Technically, Dunn was under Oveur and I was under Dunn.
      Dunn: Yep.
      Simon: So, Dunn, you were under Oveur and over Unger.
      Unger: Yep.
      Clarence Oveur: That’s right. Dunn was over Unger and I was over Dunn.
      Unger: So, you see, both Dunn and I were under Oveur, even though I was under Dunn.
      Clarence Oveur: Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn.

12. Reggie C. says:

Does Edwar get protected this time around from Rule V ? Edwar has been a complete nonfactor. Why even bring him up??

13. Makavelli says:

Claggett and Edwar Ramirez???

Couldn’t they have just kicked us in the dick instead?

I don’t know who’s worse. If somebody made me choose who to put in, I think I would pass out trying to think about it.

• Salty Buggah says:

Again, they are here for depth. They will soak up innings in blowouts and the games after we have clinched the division so the bullpen doesn’t get taxed. As much as you think they suck, any inning they can soak up is good because thats one less inning from Mo/Hughes/Ace/K-rob/Bruney/Marte/Coke

• Makavelli says:

Yes, I know this. These posts are half serious. I’m mainly just playing my role as “the villain” (as what everybody sees me as). Not where I like getting people riled up…and while I do believe these players suck bad. I know why they are being called up. I just want to know if there is another reason perhaps…

• jsbrendog says:

this is lame. post what you think. not what you think others think you think. seriously.

• Yes, I know this. These posts are half serious.

No, they’re half annoying. The other half is also annoying.

Nobody wants you to do this. NOBODY.

Not where I like getting people riled up…

That doesn’t make sense.

Other ways to find out if there is another reason that these players are being called up besides your chosen path of “playing the villain” and “being half serious”: Just asking. As in, “Hey, guys, I personally think Edwar and Claggett suck. This move doesn’t make sense to me, am I missing something? Is there another reason they’d be getting called up?”

14. Makavelli says:

“Hemmerling for Mitchell??? Go back to Cincinatti!!”

15. Jake H says:

I’m looking forward to Dunn pitching. Hopefully the O destroys Baltimore tonight so we get a taste of him tonight.

16. Doug says:

from lohud: Jonathan Albaladejo was supposed to be called up but got hit in the eye with a ball yesterday. He’s day to day and he’ll be with the team within a few days

17. [...] know that the Yankees called up four players today. Jon Alabaladejo should follow soon. He was hit in the eye (ouch) and is day to day. We could see [...]