Sep

Yanks set post-season ticket prices, policies

Once upon a time, I went to a few classic post-season baseball games in the Bronx. I saw the first home game of the 2001 World Series, Game Six of the 2000 ALCS, Game 1 of the 2000 World Series and that fateful Game Two of the 1998 ALCS. I had tickets to Game Five of the 1999 World Series and Game Seven of the 2003 World Series. Those both proved to be unnecessary for vastly different reasons.

Yesterday, with the Yanks’ Magic Number at 27 before their Monday night win over the Orioles, the team announced their potential post-season ticket pricing plans, and once we wade through the licensing fee language, tickets for post-season games wind up being cheaper than those for the regular season. As the Yankees note in a press release detailing the pricing schemes, “prices for the vast majority of postseason tickets are less than those that were charged by the Yankees for equivalent seating in the 2007 postseason at the original Yankee Stadium.”

The details please:

Regular season ticket prices for full-season ticket licensees (non-Suites) will be replicated for the 2009 American League Division Series (i.e., a Main Level ticket that costs a full-season ticket licensee $60 in the 2009 regular season will cost the same licensee $60 for the ALDS), however, full-season ticket licensees (non-Suites) of $325 Field Level seats may purchase their seats for the ALDS at the lower price of $275 each.

For full-season ticket licensees (non-Suite), prices will range from $5-$275 per ticket for the ALDS, $10-$350 per ticket for the ALCS, and $50-$425 per ticket for the World Series.

Full-season Suite licensees in the Legends Suite, Delta Sky360° Suite and Jim Beam Suite, have all already paid their Suite license fees. Accordingly, they will only be required to purchase their Suite tickets, which will range from $65-$275 per Suite ticket for the ALDS, $115-$350 per Suite ticket for the ALCS, and $150-$425 per Suite ticket for the World Series. As with the regular season, Legends Suite licensees will also be required to pay a per-game food and beverage fee, but not a Suite license fee.

There is, however, a rub: Those of us without post-season options in our season ticket packages — or those of us without season ticket packages at all — will be at the mercy of the secondary ticketing market. The Yankees are going to give season-ticket holders first crack at the post-season apple, and the team also made sure to blame Major League Baseball when many fans are faced with the sold out reality of October baseball in the Bronx.

Please note that the quantity of postseason tickets available to those who are not 2009 season ticket licensees will be limited and vary for each postseason round. Yankee Stadium has a seating capacity of 50,235, excluding standing room. For each postseason game, the first opportunity to purchase tickets is provided to current season-ticket licensees, which represent in excess of 37,000 full-season equivalent ticket licenses. Major League Baseball directs clubs to dedicate approximately 3,000 tickets per game for players of the participating clubs and to accommodate the media. In addition, Major League Baseball requires approximately 5,500 tickets per ALDS game, 7,000 tickets per ALCS game and 9,500 tickets per World Series game.

Considering that the Yanks have yet to hit that 50,325 barrier, the team is playing a bit fast and loose with their attendance figures. Still, for the early rounds of the playoffs, the team will make at most 5000 per game available to those who do not hold a ticket license. Such are the economics and costs of success.

What the Yankees should do before the post-season, though, is work out this standing room aspect of the stadium. The team continues to mention it in official attendance figures and ticket-related press releases. I have yet to see, however, a single standing-room only ticket. What better way to inaugurate this new aspect of the new stadium than with some October baseball.

Categories : Playoffs, Yankee Stadium

1. I have yet to see, however, a single standing-room only ticket. What better way to inaugurate this new aspect of the new stadium than with some October baseball.

Agreed. Call the firemarshal, and find out what the maximum number of people you can have in there, then pack that shizz to the gillz.

• Nady Nation says:

+1. I’m usually so anxious during playoff games that I stand most of the time anyway, even watching it on TV. I’d love to be doing that live in person at the game.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

+27

I’d most definitely be looking to purchase a standing room ticket, harder to keep score, yes, but with all the nervous energy and the atmosphere in the Stadium, that would be an amazing experience.

2. jsbrendog says:

::sigh:: looks like no psotseason for me for another year.

i am nto spending 300 bucks on stub hub for a bleacher seat

• +1 :( I’ve never been to a playoff/WS game.

• Dela G says:

i went to the playoffs from 95-2001 because we had season tickets :D

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

-27

I have never been either.

• Klemy says:

Really? I got tickets on Stub Hub for $100 each for upper deck along the first base line against the Tigers. The seats we great, being in the infield, with a great view for the money. I guess that could be more now, but I’ve found it kind of affordable in the past?

It was that rainout game that they played the next day and we had a ball getting drunk with some ESPN employees in the tunnel that were Yankee fans. It was almost like getting 2 games in one since they didn’t cancel until about 11PM. lol

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

When you live in Northeast CT, it aint easy to get to a ballgame anyways. And if you’re in college when said games are being played, $100 feels like a grand.

• Klemy says:

Well, I live in Buffalo, so it’s not easy for me to get the the game either. Sorry, not criticizing you at all. I’m just shocked at some people having not been to a playoff game when the fans here are so hardcore. I can definitely understand that $100 feeling like more as well…so my post really was just a memory and a surprise is all. ;)

You’ll go eventually, when you’re ready.

• Mattingly's Love Child says:

I hear ya. It’s tough, but I’m also extremely cheap, never paid more than $40 for tickets to any sporting event.

Once I move back to CT though(8 months and counting)….

3. Chris says:

Don’t they only count paid attendance in their attendance figures (so all those free tickets given out don’t count)? That would explain the discrepancy between the reported attendance and seating capacity during a sell out.

4. A.D. says:

So I believe that the following have post season purchase options:

81 game
    41 game
    20 game
    15 game

Missing anything?

5. A.D. says:

So for the magic number its if the Yankees win they shed one, and if the Sox lose they shed one?

6. Where’s the seating chart with prices that the Yankee press release said was attached?

7. josh strong says:

I can’t believe nobody is picking up on the significance of this. This is why the media sucks so bad. We’ve been duped and what’s worse is we let it happen.

All year long we hear ad nauseum that the best Yankee tickets cost $2,500. It’s a great story that we hear everywhere and it gets talked about over and over because nothing makes for a better story than one that gives a reader a chance to be self righteous.

The only problem was that in this case it wasn’t true. NONE OF IT. Now it seems that $2,500 was only the price if you include the one time licensing fee. What? Are you fucking kidding me? We were lied to? Not just by a little but by that much? How many hours did we waste talking about this?

Maybe even sadder is what it says about us that we all believed it so readily. Is the thrill of being able to get up on a soap box enough to completely turn off our common sense?

I guess in this case it definitely was.

8. leokitty says:

For partial (less than half season) licensees, we get a presale with the offer of two tickets to the first two rounds. I’m not yet clear on if this means you can get 2 for the ALDS OR ALCS or 2 for both.

This is extended to people who have plans with affiliates such as Staten Island as well.

Anyway I’m really excited because of the possibility that I can actually afford the playoff tickets. 2007 prices were crazy, I couldn’t do it.

• yankeegirl49 says:

I think it is 2 tickets to each round. I have the SI Yanks package and hope Im lucky enough to score tix during the presale.

9. MGZ says:

I still have stubs from 07 ALCS that never happened..managed to get in on the “lottery”.
    The only other playoff game I ever went to was 2001 ALCS when El Duque got shelled. I remember paying about $110 for upper deck outfield/3rd base line back then using either craigslist or ebay. StubHub is a rip b/c they take 15% from all the sellers — thats why the prices there are always higher than anyplace else.