Oct

Quick Hits: Peterson on pitching, roster decisions and the ALCS sked

Interesting stuff, no?

* * *

As we await the weekend start to the ALCS, the Yankees are busy attempting to put together a 25-man team best suited to take on the rival Angels. Brian Costa of The Star-Ledger says the roster won’t change much for the ALCS, but he does highlight a few questions the Yanks are attempting to answer.

First, Costa notes that the Jose Molina/A.J. Burnett/Jorge Posada love triangle has yet to be resolved. Girardi liked what he saw when Burnett threw to Molina on Friday, and the two could be battery-mates again this Saturday. If the Yanks pair up Jose and A.J., Francisco Cervelli will be on the roster. Otherwise, the speedy Freddy Guzman could earn a spot on the team.

* * *

Finally, we have a full ALCS schedule, and the game’s start times are, well, odd. Take a look. All times are Eastern, and all games are on FOX:

Game 1 (Friday, Oct. 16 @NYY): 7:57 p.m.
Game 2 (Saturday, Oct. 17 @NYY): 7:57 p.m.
Game 3 (Monday, Oct. 19 @LAA): 4:13 p.m.
Game 4 (Tuesday, Oct. 20 @LAA): 7:57 p.m.
Game 5* (Thursday, Oct. 22 @LAA): 7:57 p.m.
Game 6* (Saturday, Oct. 24 @NYY): 4:13 p.m.
Game 7* (Sunday, Oct. 25@NYY): 8:20 p.m.

* If necessary

Those of us who work will miss a good chunk of Monday’s game, and if the Yanks and Angels need six games, the Saturday afternoon affair will start amidst shadows in the Bronx. That’s the power of high-priced TV deals for you.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the night. There’s no baseball until Thursday, plus all the local hockey teams are off tonight. The only local sports on tonight are the Nets and Knicks on YES and MSG, respectively. Hopefully you have dinner plans, or at least some stuff on the DVR to catch up on. Chat about whatever you like here, just follow the guidelines and be excellent to each other.

Categories : Open Thread, Playoffs

1. Drew says:

I just got a headache from reading some comments on mlbtr about the Sox trading Paps.

This is by far my favorite:
    “Papelbon, DelCarmen, Lars Anderson and Ryan Kalish for Josh Johnson and Hanley.”

2. Next, Costa takes on Damaso Marte. The lefty couldn’t get out the only two lefties he had to face against the Twins, and since the Angels are a right-hand heavy team, Marte may find himself sitting this round out. In his place, the Yanks would take Brian Bruney instead. For what it’s worth, the Angels’ team platoon splits were incredibly consistent. They hit .285/.353/.440 against righties and .286/.342/.446 against lefties. Bruney, who has been throwing in Tampa to stay ready, is probably the better choice for this round.

Full disclosure mea culpa: A few days ago, I vehemently argued for Marte over Bruney because of Marte’s value as a LOOGY, but a few commenters (I think maybe MattG, can’t remember whom else) pointed out that the Angels have basically no lefties who we’d use a LOOGY for and said that Bruney was the better choice.

They were right; I was wrong. I glossed over the facts in this matter wrongly. Marte really doesn’t have a value on the ALCS roster; the Angels are the one team where we’d never use him. So, I retract my argument and concede defeat on this matter. Let it never be said that I don’t admit when I’m wrong.

3. I’m 99% positive that the reason that the Monday Game 3 in LA is an afternoon game is because the Yankees requested the 1:13pm local time start so they’d be able to get the whole game in, change, shower, and head out to catch Bernie Williams And Friends at the West Hollywood House of Blues. It’s the most feared smooth funk jazz fusion of it’s era, baby.

4. Drew says:

So the Sox might dangle Papelbon this winter. Now, I know Bard is the future closer and all but are they really ready to make him the closer now?

• The 2009 Red Sox offseason will be like Macbeth: Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

They’ll “dangle” Papsmear, and they’ll be “in on” Felix, and Josh Johnson, and Hanley Ramirez, and every other hot trade rumor, and they’ll end up with a fat sack of nothing.

• Drew says:

I don’t even know what teams would be in on Papelbon. They’d have to be a contender to pay the 8ish mil he will get and they’d have to have a hole in their closer spot. The list of those teams is not a long one. Then, I’d probably cut that list in half considering that “contending” AL teams are unlikely to make a big swap.

• JGS says:

St Louis and Philadelphia perhaps?

• Philly: Paps is not enough of an upgrade over Lidge or Madson for them to part with anything of substance.

St. Louis: Perhaps, but I don’t think Mozeliak is dumb enough to trade valuable pieces for a closer who isn’t even all that good anyway. Bad business.

• JGS says:

I don’t know, he has been pretty consistently among the best relievers in the game. four full seasons, and his WAR among relievers is 2nd, 7th, 2nd, and this year 11th (and of the guys ahead of him, Hughes will be starting next year, and I doubt CJ Wilson and the kids from Oakland can repeat what they did this year).

If their pen melts down again in the NLCS, I can see them entertaining offers

• Drew says:

The Cards have Franklin to close at 3 mil and is a bargain for what he did this year.

Philly is paying Lidge 12 mil.

• JGS says:

Franklin is also 36. Gotta figure the Cards would at least listen to a proposal

• Drew says:

At 36 he’s coming off of a career year. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing but I doubt they’d give up prospects or a decent bat for a closer that will probably make 16 mil over his last two years under team control.

• vin says:

“they’d have to have a hole in their closer spot.”

They’d end up with an a-hole in their closer spot is more like it.

• ROBTEN says:

After narrowly missing the World Series in 2009, my sources tell me that the Red Sox are going to be cautious this off-season and that Theo Epstein is not willing to move any of the tremendous talent that the Sox have waiting in the minors. So, instead they’ll see whether teams such as the Padres or Marlins would be willing to consider taking on disgraced closer Jonathan Papelbon for a lesser bat like Adrian Gonzalez or Hanley Ramirez. While privately the players tell me that they no longer have confidence in Papelbon after his embarrassing performance in the final game of the ALDS ended a magical season for the Sox, scouts I have spoken with say that they think that he could still be a vital pickup for teams like the Padres, who play in larger stadiums that are more forgiving to players like Papelbon who struggle in big spots.

For Diamond Cutters, I’m Peter Gammons.

• vin says:

If the Sox don’t get what they’re asking for, then Gammons can always hype him as still being a potential starting pitcher.

We all know how much more valuable starters are than relievers, and the Sox have such a surplus that they have to keep them stashed away in the ‘pen.

• vin says:

Watch the Royals swoop in and trade their 3 of their top prospects for him. They can then claim how they’re committed to winning and spending some money. Clueless organization.

• pete says:

YOU WILL EAT THAT CAT POOP
        I WILL NOT EAT CAT POOP
        YOU WILL EAT THE CAT POOP
        I’ll eat the damn cat poop

• The Artist says:

They won’t deal him. Bard is a tantalizing arm, but Papelfuck is the real deal. If they deal Paps and Bard can’t handle closing, they’re fucked. Manny Delcarmen will be closing games for them. I don’t believe they’ve seen enough out of Bard to deal Paps.

• I don’t believe they’ll EVER see enough out of Bard to deal Paps.

And like I said before: Papelbon is a massive asshat douchebag. Boston is a town of massive asshat douchebags. They’re made for each other. Dealing Papelbon away would be like the Oilers dealing away Gretzky; it would be a national local crime that the fanbase would never forgive or forget.

Jon Papelbon is like every single Red Sox fan’s brother (and thus, probably also every single Red Sox fan’s cousin; inbreeding causes lots of dual-labels).

You don’t trade away your brother-cousin.

5. That video was very cool. It’s too bad a smart guy like that can’t get a job on Baseball Tonight or the like. He’d be invaluable for mechanical analysis.

6. Stormrider6 says:

Those of us who work will miss a good chunk of Monday’s game work
    fixed.

7. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

It was hard not concentrating on Peterson’s vagina throat.

8. Migraines can go suck bahston cack.

9. gxpanos says:

Haha poor guy. Why’d they make him talk for like 3 minutes straight in the beginning? He repeated himself and sounded like an idiot doing it all in one take.

Once he got into the mechanics it was awesome, though. I always thought he was a good coach. Also like that he called them by their first names.

10. Phil "Bud" Selig says:

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help me. I’m a huge Yankees fan up here in Canada, and if they make the W.S. I am hoping to go to game 2 at the Stadium.
    My question, how is the “Ticket Market” around the stadium?

I have been looking on Stub Hub but would prefer to avoid this.

I understand there is likely no parallel, but I was in Denver sunday and had previously purchased tickets on stub hub for Phils vs Rocks, I paid through the nose, only to find out I could have paid close to face at the stadium.

If I take my chances showing up without tickets will I get in? I don’t mind paying a premium.

Any suggestions?

11. AndrewYF says:

Apparently, the Angels are starting Joe Saunders in Game 2.

Really? Joe Saunders, he of the 6.28 career ERA against the Yankees, is starting over Scott Kazmir, he of the career 2.67 ERA against the Yankees?

Not to mention that Kazmir was a hundred times better down the stretch, and is really just a better pitcher.

Of course, Angels fans are touting it as the best idea ever, and laughing that the Yankees are ‘forced’ to start Sabathia in Game 4, while they have teh starting depth to start Matt Palmer. Please, please start Matt Palmer in Game 4.

12. baravelli says:

I like Peterson’s stuff, but that’s the first time I’ve seen the name of his website written down; I had thought it was “three-piece sports,” which was somehow a reference to a three-piece suit. I didn’t know what that meant, and I don’t know what 3p means either, so maybe a bit more thought could have gone into that name, is what I’m here to say.

13. Thirty5Thirty6 says:

Reading the game chat gave me a good chuckle.

14. Tom Zig says:

does anyone here listen to Bill Simmons?

Despite him being a huge Boston fan, i find him tolerable and kind of funny at the same time.

15. Drew says:

Wow, Curtis and Laird killed it today. IPK did the usual as well.

16. Greg G. says:

So I have a request…when it comes time for the playoff games, can you guys (TSJC, Andy in SD, Matt, MikePop, The Artist, et al.) have your very own game thread, unsullied by trolls?

Your comments are fucking hilarious.

17. donttradecano says:

4:13 on a monday? Gonna cause some problems

18. The Artist says:

“If Boston had won on Sunday, the way Dustin Pedroia turned a double play in the sixth inning would have been a highlight.

Instead, the double play that Pedroia could not make in the eighth became an issue. And Pedroia took a couple swipes at the grounds crew because of it.

It took a bad hop,” Pedroia said. “Our infield (stinks). It’s the worst in the game.”

“I’m not lying about that. That is true. I think about those things. That stuff upsets me,” Pedroia said. “My job is to take 1,000 groundballs a day. Other guys’ job is to get the field perfect so we can play baseball.”

Cant make this shit up.

19. My bold, and most assuredly dumb, NFL predictions, after 5 weeks of watching these teams:

Predicted record, team, current record

AFC EAST

Minnesota beats San Francisco, Chicago beats Philadelphia
    NY Giants beats Minnesota, New Orleans beats Chicago
    New Orleans beats NY Giants

Superbowl
    Baltimore beats New Orleans

20. pete says:

Ok so this is a little random, but I’ve been thinking a lot about OPS and i feel like it’s a bit of a strange stat in that it weighs batting average twice. First, in OBP, and then in SLG. So I was thinking that it would be better to have something like OPI, as in on-base + isoP. Then I started thinking about a total offense stat that takes SB and CS into account as well. I know there are similarities to WPA, but unlike WPA, this would be situation independent, and could therefore by comparison to WPA provide an “isoClutch” metric, as follows:

(TB + BB + SB + HBP – CS) / TPA = Total Offense

Then there are two methods of developing the “isoClutch” method. The first is a direct comparison between a player’s TO and WPA:
    (TO/TOavg) * 100 = TO+
    (WPA/WPAavg) * 100 = WPA+
    WPA+ – TO+ = isoClutch

The second version of isoClutch would be achieved by measuring average (expected) WPA in relation to raw TO, measuring the distance, i.e. WPAactual – WPAexpected.

Of course now somebody is going to come on and point me to this exact stat somewhere and make me feel bad about myself, but what do you guys think? I’m really more interested in the TO stat, since I feel like OPS is a tad redundant.

21. The Artist says:

Here’s the link on Andrew YFs post about Saunders starting Game 2.

I can’t believe my eyes, Kazmir must be hurt. Weaver has fared horribly against the Yanks, so pushing him to Game 3 doesn’t surprise me. But Kazmir has pitched well (though not deep) in games where he’s faced the Yanks.

22. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

LoHud reports that Veas still favors the Yanks to win the WS. They were also favored preseason.

Leading to the question…how often have the preseason favorites (as picked by Vegas) actually won the WS?

• Joey says:

Heh, is it funnier not having the Yankees in the postseason at all or having the Mets not only in the playoffs but in the world series. And having Papelsuck as the ALCS and WS MVP. Awesome

• Kiersten says:

I love how many playoff predictions this year left the Yankees out. It’s like the finally missed the playoffs ONCE and it opened the door for every Yankee-hater to come out and predict that they would never make the playoffs again.

Not like they added 2 top of the rotation starters or a power-hitting, gold-glove first baseman or anything…

• Kiersten says:

Oh, and I love how they have Papelbum as the CS AND WS MVP. He’s just that awesome.

23. Reggie C. says:

Some baseball news:

ESPN scroll is relaying news that Billy Wagner has decided to retire. I guess this means that Theo has lost a couple high draft 2010 draft picks. Theo was gonna slap Wagner with an offer of arbitration, which if Wagner declined would’ve really shrunk the market of suitors. Good for Wagner…

TIM HUDSON looks to be leaning towards Free Agency. Kinda crazy to think Hudson would turn down $12 MM, but if he’s looking for 2 years at lesser money i’m sure a bevy of teams would call. Would the prospect of adding Tim Hudson tempt the org to keep one of Joba or Hughes in the ‘pen?

• whozat says:

I’d hope not.

“hey, we’ve got this long-term strategy to develop a pitching surplus in-house so that we can, at worse, use the excess to get stuff we need. Oh! Tim Hudson! Fuck that plan, stick those guys in the pen to ruin their value.”

24. [...] here to see the original: Quick Hits: Peterson on pitching, roster decisions and the ALCS … Tagged as: audience, big-networks, idiots-out, npr, pbs, ratings, really-bright, the-audience, [...]