Nov

Poll: What was your favorite moment of the playoffs?

Okay, I guess everyone’s favorite moment of the playoffs was the weak grounder to second that clinched the Yanks’ 27th World Championship. What about your favorite moment after that?

We already took a poll for the first half and second half, so surely you know how this works. Here’s some notable postseason moments:

ALDS Game Two: A-Rod‘s game tying two run homer off Joe Nathan (video)
Twins starter Nick Blackburn kept the Yankees off balance all night, long enough for his teammates to push two runs across against Phil Hughes in the 8th. With a two run lead in the 9th, Rod Gardenhire turned to All Star closer Joe Nathan, who promptly gave up a single to lead off the inning. Alex Rodriguez, still dogged by his playoff choker reputation, took three straight pitches out of the zone before Nathan came in for strike one. A-Rod teed off on his next fastball, sending it deep into the Yankees’ bullpen to tie the game. The Yanks rallied to win the game in extras, but none of that would have been possible if not for A-Rod’s heroics against Nathan.

ALCS Game Two: A-Rod’s game tying homer off Brian Fuentes (video)
Nine innings wasn’t enough, as the the Yanks and Angels went into extras tied at two. The Halos pushed a run across off Al Aceves in the 11th, and turned to Brian Fuentes, another All Star closer. Alex Rodriguez, the first batter in the bottom of the 11th, took two straight fastballs over the plate for a quick 0-2 count, but turned Fuentes’ third heater around and parked it in the right field seats to tie the game. Much like Game Two of the ALDS, the Yanks went on to win, but it wouldn’t have been possible without A-Rod’s shot off Fuentes.

World Series Game Two: AJ Burnett dominates Phillies to tie series at one (video)
In their most important game of the year, enigmatic AJ Burnett went out and shut the Phillies down to tie the World Series at one game apiece. He pounded the zone and was dropping curves in at the knees for strikes when he wasn’t blowing his heat by batters. The uncertainty of middle relief was never a factor in the game, as Burnett handed the ball right off to Mariano Rivera. The Yanks carried the momentum into Philadelphia, where they won the next two games.

World Series Game Five: Johnny Damon singles and steals two bases on one pitch to ignite game winning rally (video)
After pulling ahead in the 5th inning before losing the lead thanks to a Pedro Feliz homer in the bottom of the 8th, Hideki Matsui and Derek Jeter went down with ease against Phillies’ closer Brad Lidge in the 9th. Damon fouled off five pitches as part of a nine pitch at-bat, eventually dunking a single into shallow left. On the very next pitch, Damon took off for second, and not only did he make it safely, he headed down to third because no one bothered to cover the bag. The go-ahead run was on third, and before you knew it the Yanks pushed some runs across to win the game.

Those are just some of the highlights in the playoffs. Vote on your favorite below, but if you think another moment was the best of the playoffs – maybe Mariano Rivera getting out of a bases loaded, none out jam in Anaheim, or Hideki Matsui’s homer in Game Six of the World Series, or CC Sabathia‘s start on short rest against the Angels – use the “Add an Answer” button to write in your own favorite moment. Don’t add any bad words like the jerk who did during our first favorite moment poll, we’ll just delete it and ban you from ever even accessing the site, let alone commenting. Yes, we can do that.

Everyone knows that everyone’s favorite moment this postseason was winning the World Series, so keep it out of the poll so we can have a little diversity. Consider this a “what’s your second favorite moment” poll. Thanks.

What was your (second) favorite moment of the postseason?
  • Add an Answer
View Results
Categories : Playoffs, Polls

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

Damon’s play while cool was essentially running to an unmanned base.
    I voted for the A-Rod’s homer against Fuentes. At 2 strikes I thought the Yanks were done but foolish for me A-Rod proves me wrong.

2. Thomas says:

I voted for A-Rod off of Nathan, but I would suggest someone adding Teixeira’s game winning HR in game 2 ALDS.

3. A-Rod off Nathan because I was there.

And, well, because it was like an excision of all of the “playoff demons”, so to speak

• RCK says:

I was there for the Fuentes home run, but I had to pick the one off Nathan (because of course I was going to pick an A-Rod moment. “Excision of demons” is the perfect way to describe it. It was an amazing cleansing feeling. I was just so joyful!

4. Michael says:

I voted for the HR off Nathan because when I was watching the game, I don’t know why but I absolutely knew for certain A-rod was hitting a HR to tie it and when he did I was so pumped up. From then on I knew they win WS.

5. The Lodge says:

My least favorite moment is listening to these two morons providing commentary on the parade for mlb.com right now.
    Seriously, they couldn’t get two people capable of doing this job?!? The one guy (earlier on) wasn’t sure if Rudy G was Governor or Mayor. Oak. Tag.

6. Andrew S. says:

I enjoyed seeing Chase Utley being struck out in Game 6 after his 39182710 HRs hit off CC.

7. Pete says:

Couple of my faves not on the list (based on my reaction at the time):

- D-Rob getting out of the bases loaded jam vs. the Twins
    - Yanks beating the Angels on the errant throw by Izturis
    - Tex winning game 2 vs. the Twins

Surprised the Tex HR wasn’t up there…

• Frank1979 says:

Yeah…damn, I already voted but somebody should definitely add the D-Rob bases loaded escape…that was awesome.

8. Michael Kay says:

watching this thing on YES….whats next “And now to receive their keys, the first 12,000 season ticket holders. Robert Biggins, Albert Chenowith, Allison Sanford…”

• Pete says:

My favorite thing to scream at so far this postseason has been the presence of Hizzoner Bloomberg at the presentation of the ALCS & World Series awards – no one acknowledges him, no one wants to talk to him, he just…sorta…stands there.

9. Jim says:

The Nathan HR because I was there. Fantastic baseball moment; will remember that for the rest of my life

10. Jersey says:

This is tough, but probably have to go with ARod’s Game 4 double. Maybe the single most pivotal hit in the postseason…maybe. Really hard though.

11. steve s says:

An unintentional but I think key event was AJ hitting Victorino on the hand (or more like Victorino not getting out of the way). He was useless offensively after that (one cheap infield single) and tenative on D with a lousy play on a Jeter hit and lousy throw on Matsui’s bases loaded hit in the clincher (plus it was nice seeing some Phillie getting plunked).

12. Matt says:

Got to go with Damon stealing second AND third. 2 outs in the top of the ninth (with Rivera ready for the bottom), unreal 9 pitch at bat, base knock to left, first pitch to tex, steals second and third, completley rendering Lidge useless. Damon being on third opened the flood gates and the rest is history. That moment when he took off from second should be the corner stone clip on every fox sports playoff (or any playoff game) opening montage. That was pure postseason heads up clutch baseball.

RAB, you guys are the best. Whenever I was worried, axious, or concerned about the postseason, I was always able to come down to earth with your great analysis and knowledge of not only the Yanks, but baseball in its entirety. I am frequent reader, and have always been a huge Yankee fan. RAB makes me enjoy the Yankees and the game itself that much more!

Thanks for everything guys! 28!

13. bonestock94 says:

I can’t decide between the Arod HR off of Fuentes or Nathan.

• Salty Buggah says:

Yea, I wasn’t either. But I chose the one off Nathan because it was a 2-run shot, off a great closer in Nathan, a sure HR, A-Rod just looked at the bench and slightly pumped his fist like “I got this, guys!” which was awesome, and it was Alex’s first of many heroic moments in the postseason.

• Steve H says:

I went with Nathan because he’s 1000x the pitcher Fuentes is and really set the tone for A-Rod’s postseason.

14. pete says:

favorite moment had to be A-rod’s hr off nathan – it was a 2 run deficit and he absolutely crushed it, whereas the one off fuentes looked more like a double off the bat. But I friggin loved how many guys in our bullpen came up big. Sure coke and ace and joba, and hughes all had their weaker moments, but Mo, Robertson, and marte were absolute money in any spot, and the other guys, despite their facepalm moments, all got big outs too.

15. baravelli says:

Guys, didn’t Mike specifically ask people not to add the final out of the World Series to the poll, because that was a given? Who put that there?

I voted for A-Rod’s go-ahead double in Game 4, because I have no doubt that if he doesn’t get that hit, the Yankees lose that game, and then who knows what happens. That was the pure essence of clutch, at the biggest possible moment.

16. Tank Foster says:

ARod’s hits were the most dramatic – the homers – but I had to put them a bit below Damon’s double steal and Hideki’s Godzillesque Romp over Philadelphia, as the latter were in the World Series.

So many great moments. The team really, really gave their fans alot to cheer about this season, with all the walk-offs, and finished the postseason in a similarly gratifying fashion.

You’d have to say it’s been a perfect year for a Yankee fan.

17. Kiersten says:

Poor Teixeira… hits a walk-off homerun in the playoffs and no one remembers.

I still would vote for A-Rod’s HR off of Fuentes anyway. The Nathan one was amazing, but after the Fuentes one I was just like “holy SHIT there’s no way he just did that again.” But he did.

18. I voted for A-Rod’s ALDS homer because I was there and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen live.

19. Aaron - Long Island says:

AJ’s game 2 start in the World Series is my choice. As the earlier post on the game suggested, there might not have been a more important spot all season. For Burnett to come up as big as he did there brings me chills just thinking about it.

I know the chances that his contract will look like an overall win after it runs its full course are low and I know that he definitely didn’t impress in game 5, but what he did in game 2 makes it all seem totally worth it at the moment.

20. Tom Zig says:

Correct me if i’m wrong but didn’t Izturis make the wild throw in ALCS game 2?

21. TLVP says:

A-Rod off Nathan was great, but you always felt we would beat them in the end, if not in that game at least over 5 games

I voted Damon’s double steal for several reasons

1) it was the Ws
    2) it shifted the momentum in game 4 of the WS – no swing is bigger than 3-1 vs 2-2
    3) it was just clever baseball – this team isn’t just talented, it’s smart – and that is significant because the Twins and the Angels were supposed to be smart teams. The Phillies failed to be smart on that play. It is great to be richer than everyone else (trust me on that) but it is truly wonderful to be both richer and smarter than everyone else (working on it, :-) ). Damon stole third because the Yankees had discussed the effect of the shift on Teix, and had a plan. Damon stole third because he’s got baseball smarts.
    4) I was up at 4am UK time without the ability to watch the game and followed it on the computer and thought he’s got to steal 2nd and then the update said stole 2nd, stole 3rd!!!! Awesome!