Nov

Unsurprisingly, it’s Pettitte for Game Six

Via Mark Carig, the Yankees will hand the ball to Andy Pettitte on three days’ rest in Game Six tomorrow night. This should surprise no one; the writing’s been on the wall for weeks. Carig notes that Pettitte feels physically fine, which is always a plus. Pettitte has not made a start on three days’ rest since Sept. 30, 2006 when he was on the Astros. A full list of Andy’s starts on three days is available here.

Andy was on the mound the last time the Yankees clinched a World Championship. Here’s to hoping he repeats the trick tomorrow night.

Categories : Asides, Playoffs

1. ROBTEN says:

…And a single tear appears on Chad Gaudin’s cheek.

Turning away from view, he brushes it aside, and, acting nonchalantly and his voice shaking, claims he just had something in his eye.

“Go get ‘em,” he said and then was gone, just as quickly as he had appeared.

2. Rose says:

Pettitte is 3-1 with a 2.80 ERA in 5 career postseason starts on short rest. Although he hasn’t pitched in any such game at all in 3 years and last with the Yankees in 2003 against the Marlins…

3. Jeremy says:

I am not going to lie. Pettitte isn’t a young man anymore and I am not super confident on how much he is going to have in the tank on short rest.

4. Tampa Yankee says:

Pettitte goes 7inn 6h 3r 2b 5k
    Jorge goes 2-4 1bb 1r 1rbi
    Jeter goes 3-5 2r 1rbi
    Mo gets the save
    Pedro gives up 5er in 5inn
    Yanks win #27 and finally all will be right in the universe again!

5. Salty Buggah says:

27 Hours 54 mins to go!!!

6. Is 28 hours before game time too early to head over to Manhattan to catch the game?

7. Dela G says:

Wednesdays are tha best days, cuz we’ll be sippin champagne when we thirs-tay!

[/B.I.G’d

8. CountryClub says:

Joe West is the ump tomorrow night. I know he’s considered a bad umpire. But does anyone know if he has a big strike zone or a small one?

Since Andy likes to live on the corners, the answer could be important.

9. theyankeewarrior says:

Andy will have to be able to control the inside corner on the Lefties. I think he can be a bit of a Chase-Neutralizer by changing speeds.

Here’s to hoping that our lefties don’t acquire Swisher-Syndrome and swing and miss at changes low and away.

It’s TEX’s turn to step up. A 3-4 night with a bomb and a BB would make up for his WS to date.

10. Riddering says:

Andy’s going to pad that postseason wins stat. Count on it!

11. Salty Buggah says:

I hope Andy isn’t gassed again and can just give us at least a quality start.

Make a wish! This is a holy time. 27 Hours, 27 Minutes to go!!!!!

12. The Lodge says:

September 25, 1998 Andy made a start on 3 days rest and the Opponent is still “To Be Determined”?

(The Rays are more determined these days I guess.)

13. pollo says:

Pettitte on his worst day will give you 5 ip 6 er.

I think I could sign up for that. I think.

We’ll tattoo Mr. Martinez.

14. Salty Buggah says:

It’s smart to start Andy but hopefully Girardi’s not dumb enough to start Hairston again.

15. wilcymoore says:

Since 2001 Pettitte’s only three starts on 3 days of rest were in ’06 with the Astros. Two good outings, one bad one. The short-rest issue means nothing.

I’m looking for ~6 IP out of Andy, no more than 4 runs allowed. Then 3 innings of shut out ball by the bullpen. Philly ain’t holding the Yanks to 4 runs or less on Wednesday night.

16. AMS223 says:

27 hours until 27!!!!!

17. TLVP says:

well for the entertainment of all of those ranting about my guesstimate probabilities yesterday I can tell you the betting exchanges are giving the Yankees a 64-65% probability of winning game 6, which sounds high to me but i hope they are right

18. Mike bk says:

6 IP 3ER is just fine.

19. AMS223 says:

9-5 final score:
    Pettitte goes 6ip 4 er
    Pedro 4.2 5er

Jorge and Alex go deep

Yanks win

20. Peedlum says:

There’s that nagging this could all go south feeling that’s only come into my head since 2004 that I really hate having and this 3 days rest bugaboo has gotten into my head. In order to make myself feel a little better I thought back to what Mike Scioscia said about how few games the teams have played in the month of October. Since October 3 last day of the regular season), Pettitte has thrown 25.0 innings over 4 starts, which have come on 7 days rest, 7 days rest, 5 days rest and 5 days rest. in that span he’s thrown 379 pitches. compare that to 6 starts in August where Pettitte threw 39.2 innings, and 638 pitches, going 4.0 with a 2.50 ERA and 39 K’s. Obviously there’s more to this than the basic numbers here and the SSS issue, but in any event it made me feel better to see these numbers, so I figured I’d share them for anyone else who has fallen into the 3 days rest doubter camp, which I was on the fence about for a few minutes.

• Zanath says:

The only thing you can do is think positive, or you’ll go insane. I know how it feels though, I have the same problem (mainly just following a tough loss) but I have seen this team respond all year long, and I have no doubt they will show up tomorrow. Just think, we have three wins and neither Cano or Teixera have hit. Add to that that A-Rod didn’t really start going till game 3. We’re in good position.

• Dave G says:

I’m the same way. And I live in Philly, which adds to the stress. Bottom line, I expected to come home to the Bronx up 3-2. We are right where I thought we would be. We have our most battle tested pitcher on the hill (who maybe will making is final career start). Things will work out tomorrow.

21. Lanny says:

The bats are going to have to come to play tomorrow. Some have been quiet too long. Andy needs some early support and they need to get at Pedro early and often.

22. dkidd says:

pettitte versus pedro

old school

23. Renny Baseball says:

OK my turn:

Petite: 4+ maybe 5 IP, 3R
    Martinez: 5+ IP, 4R

Neither pitcher factors in decision (i.e., late inn runs). Win for Yanks, assuming these predictions hold and given home field advantage.

I’d love zeros across the board through 7 in a classic pitcher’s duel, and Yanks by a couple of late inning runs but short rest will cost Petite and tenacious ABs by both teams will cost both opposing starting pitchers.

24. [...] on tonight, Andy Pettitte will make his final start of 2009, for better or worse. As you know, he’ll be working on three days’ rest for the first time since 2006, and many fans are concerned about how the 37-year-old will rebound [...]