Dec

Open Thread: The calm before the storm

The craziest week in the baseball offseason kicks off tomorrow in Indianapolis, and surely there will be rumors that make you say “I hope this isn’t true” and trades that finalized that will make you say “why did the Yankees get in on that?” Joe is en route to Peytonville right now, as we plan to bring you the best possible coverage we can.

If you need a refresher in the best ways to access RAB during the hectic week, read this. More importantly, review our Commenting Guidelines so that all of this week’s thread can be nice and entertaining and informative and not full of nonsense. I don’t know what the Yankees have planned for this offseason, but I can almost guarantee they’ll leave the winter meetings with at least one player on their roster that isn’t there right now. Any guesses?

* * *

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. Your late game tonight is the Cardinals and Vikings, while the Rangers face the Red Wings at home. Talk about whatever your heart desires, and go ahead and be cruel and vicious to each other tonight. Need a little change of pace.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Wait. Andy.

So Jesús has a brother….also named Jesús? For real?

2. 28 next year says:

wait, only Joe is going? Are you and Ben busy or is YES cheaping out on sending all of you?

3. Salty Buggah says:

“not full of nonsense.”

Impossible

4. I just realized I can actually afford a plane ticket to get to Spring Training. Just not a hotel or game tickets, but it’s still better than nothing!

5. Salty Buggah says:

Fuckin Browns didn’t help the Broncos out (though I didn’t really expect it).

And why the fuck is there so much heavy snow right now?!!!!! It’s been a whole day now and is supposed to snow for maybe another 2 days. This is what makes me hate living in Colorado. Ugh.

6. pat says:

Muahaha Flozell and the rest of his cowgirla can go straight to hell.

7. Evil Empire says:

My prediction for the likeliest person the Yankees add to their roster: Johnny Damon.

Fairly obvious, but very logical.

8. Steve H says:

If Joe talks to Cash, is he going to ask about the tidal wave that is the “Bring Melvin to America” movement? At some point he won’t be able to ignore it, it’s like a cockroach, it won’t die, and continues to grow. Put the screws to Cash: When is Melvin coming?

9. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Alright guys, quick question:

Job interview tomorrow. It’s a corporate-type job, so I’m wearing a suit, obviously. Should I shave (I’m kind of partial to the 10 o’clock shadow) or is that considered to be a non-issue in today’s work climate?

I’ve only worked in very casual atmospheres, so I am unsure.

10. AHHHSDJFSKLDJFJKSLDFJS

Jesus’s brother, also named Jesus accepted my friend request! AAHHHH!

/fangirl’d.

11. Evil Empire says:

So first I read this:

And then I looked at this:

And then I said to myself a few things:

1. Barry Bonds was really really good at baseball. I don’t see Mcgwire or Sosa (or Ken Griffey Jr., for that matter) almost touching Ruth’s WAR.

2. Barry Larkin is even more deserving of the HOF than I had already thought, he’s #58 overall, one ahead of Tony Gwynn.

3. Edgar Martinez deserves to be inducted. 65th best ever WAR for a hitter is worthy. To be docked -17.5 runs / 162 games as a DH is a major handicap and he still fuckin’ rocked that shit.

• Steve H says:

Barry Bonds for 2010 NYY DH.

• Evil Empire says:

I wonder if he’s still in playing shape?

Oh, and I just realized Babe Ruth probably has a whole ‘nother WAR value for his pitching. Fuck.

• Steve H says:

I’m sure Bonds could get in “hitting” shape pretty easily. I would seriously love to see it, though I know it will never happen.

• Evil Empire says:

Indeed, the distinction is noted. I think that is just so crazy it might just work. You’d have to think the time off at least let him be ding-and-dent free.

I agree, I wish it could happen. There’s no fundamental reason why it couldn’t, besides, y’know … stuff.

• Steve H says:

Imagine him in YSIII……unreal.

• Evil Empire says:

Oh I didn’t even consider that. Pfft.

And I’m all about the Yankees being like “FUCK YOU WE DON’T GIVE A SHIT ‘BOUT WHAT YOU SAY. CHAMPIONSHIPS ALL WE WANT.”

Barry Bonds batting 5th would being say in a big way. If only things were different.

• Steve H says:

Come on, if A-Rod had this huge turnaround in perception this year, why not Barry……

Damn, the more I think about it the more it frustrates me. I bet Barry would come nice and cheap, and I almost guarantee would help the team, and yet, it ain’t happening.

• pat says:

if A-Rod had this huge turnaround in perception this year, why not Barry……

Because Arod didn’t break the most hallowed record in sports history while clearly being on steroids.

Bonds hasn’t played baseball competitively in three years and is 45!!!!!!!! years old.

• toad says:

You know, I don’t buy Bonds approaching Ruth. I don’t know the problem with the calculation – maybe the issue is defining the replacement level, or the fact that Bonds had about 2000 more PA’s – but the gap between Ruth and the world (aside from Gehrig) was gigantic.

The 1927 Pirates, NL champs, hit 54 home runs. Fifty-four.

IMO Babe Ruth was a freak of nature – a five or six sigma event. Was Bonds close? I don’t think anyone was.

12. pat says:

Boise vs TCU….. dope

13. JobaWockeeZ says:

Lackey looking for exceeding Burnett money? Good luck getting that from the Yanks.

• Teix is the Man says:

The Yankees should give him a Sabathia type contract then trade IPK for Felix Hernandez straight up.
      -Bo’d

14. GAH. WHY DO I HAVE NOT THE COURAGE TO WRITE ON COMPLETE STRANGERS’ facebooks?!?!

15. pat says:

Funny story for you hosers out there.

When Brendan Shanahan was 14 he asked pro player Rick Vaive for his autograph. Apparently the guy was a dick and Shanny did not forget about it. Fast forward 4 years later, Shanahan is a rookie for Buffalo and Vaive is on the Sabres. They line up naxt to each other in some meaningless faceoff. As soon as the puck is dropped Shanahan starts beating the shit out of the guy. HAHAH

16. Evil Empire says:

The picture they chose for Girardi is perfect

17. Steve H says:

I doubt he’ll get much support, but someone tell my why Jim Edmonds doesn’t belong in Cooperstown.

• Cause he’s only been out of baseball for 1 year.

• Evil Empire says:

That’s the ONLY reason why.

• Steve H says:

Tell me why he won’t get much support in 4 years then. I really don’t think he will, part of it will be that his #’s don’t stack up for the “era”, but people will be foolish to overlook how great of an offensive player he was, along with stellar defense. I doubt the overall greatness of his D will help him much with the voters (because they suck) but his highlight reel plays likely will help. I still don’t think he gets close.

• Keanu Reeves says:

I can’t come up with anything off the top of my head.

All I know is that it was fun to watch that man play baseball.

18. John ny says:

My prediction for next week ….yanks get a LF via trade…what predictions do you guys have?

19. Talk about whatever your heart desires, and go ahead and be cruel and vicious to each other tonight.

Considering what Mike said, you all are being awfully civil toward each other.

20. Nady Nation says:

Huge win for the G-MEN today.

Also, Flozelle Adams is the dirtiest piece of shit in professional sports.

• pat says:

+1. He is a piece of shit.

• pat says:

Also, I LOVE Hakeem Nicks. He had a really nice down field block on Bradshaw’s long run in the 4th quarter, as well as the TD catch of course.

• Nady Nation says:

Absolutely, Nicks is gonna be a stud. Eli really looked like his foot was bothering him on some throws – just couldn’t step into them. But he’s toughing it out, so that’s all that matters.

Biggest story of the day was the D FINALLY making some plays and stops when they had to.

• pat says:

Yeah, he really underthrew a bunch of passes that INT by Jenkins was one of them. The D looked good too. Little shaky on the 3rd and longs but when you’re playin against a duo like Romo and Witten they’re pretty hard to defend.

21. OMG

So when the Yanks had that 15 inning game against Boston, I was going crazy on Twitter and told Kerry Rhodes (@kerryrhodes) that I was going crazy because I really had to pee.

It came up in Twitter conversation today–and he says he remembers.

ayayay.

22. JMK aka The Overshare says:

I have that horrible Gap commercial stuck in my head. The one with the prenagers dancing around in ugly sweaters. Every time I close my eyes I hear, “How cute are these boots?! How cute are these boots?!”

MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE!

23. Stryker says:

fucking rangers. sometimes they amaze me with the hockey they play. other times…not so much.

24. All right, asking you lot before I message, is this correct?

“Gracias! (Lo siento que mi español es tan malo, pero algún día será mejor =) )”

25. pat says:

Wow, sick catch Anquan.

26. Steve H says:

Kurt Warner=HOF?

I say yes.

27. pat says:

Shit, the Royals are going to sign Noel Arguelles, the other Cuban lefty FA.

Good for them.

28. This is turning into a full on religious experience.

29. Man, it really sucks that I’ll never feel the same way about music as I did like…4-5 years ago. Dammit.

30. Evil Empire says:

This Romeo Crennel Coors Light commercial (the 2nd one with him overall) is possibly the best cinematic undertaking in the history of mankind.

31. pat says:

Gross, that guys leg snapped.

32. Jez says:

Have you seen this? She sure knows lots about the yankees!

yankees #1.