Jan

Frankie Piliere’s Top 100 Prospects

Frankie Piliere of AOL FanHouse posted his list of the top 100 prospects today (part one and two), with Jesus Montero coming at number five behind a bunch of guys you’ve surely heard of. “Much debate surrounds Montero’s ability to stick behind the plate,” says Piliere, “but the bat is going to be special. He has a potential 40-homer bat with the offensive upside of Miguel Cabrera.” Sounds good to me.

Three other Yankee prospects made the list: Manny Banuelos at #41 (“…with a 90-93 mph fastball and the potential for two plus secondary pitches, this smallish lefty has the upside of a No. 2 starter”), Austin Romine at #45 (“…has the potential to be a potent offensive threat and an above-average defender behind the plate”), and Zach McAllister at #76. Old pals Austin Jackson and Jose Tabata checked in at #25 and #69, respectively.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Drew says:

Every time I read about teh Jesus I get excited. Can’t wait to see him in ST and follow him in Scranton.

2. T-Dubs says:

From corresponding chat (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/0.....s-edition/)

[Comment From Iván]
    Is Jesus Montero better, worse or about the same as Mike Piazza behind the dish?

Frankie Piliere: Better, I feel pretty confident about that one.

T-Dubs note: made me giggle.

• All Praise Be To Mo says:

He definitely has a better arm than Piazza ever did.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

I wouldn’t put too much stock into this. As far as I know, he’s a writer, not a scout. This doesn’t mean he hasn’t seen him or has some understanding of defensive projection (or has at least spoken to a number of scouts who do), but he’s just some guy.

• BG90027 says:

He is a writer now but a former scout. More interesting than the Piazza quote is that he said in the chat that in his opinion Montero can catch and that if he is moved it won’t be because he can’t but because his defense at catcher may not be good enough to justify the wear and tear on his body.

He’s also high on Manny Banuelos and said that while scouting him he had clocked his velocity as peaking at 94 and regularly hitting 91-92. He said that the lower figures commonly sited are likely from spring when a pitcher’s velocity can be expected to be lower.

3. Steve H says:

When will a character named Jesus Montero arrive on The Office? If Ryan Howard, then a Scanton Phillie got a character named after him, how can Jesus Montero, a Scranton Yankee not? Or will they just change the name of the whole show, from “The Office”, to “The Jesus?”

4. JSquared says:

Jesus Montero is going to be… AWESOME!!

I wonder what Romine could be traded for… if we happen to sign Joe Mauer after next season.

5. AndrewYF says:

In his chat, he said that reports of Banuelos chucking 88-92 were likely from Spring Training, he scouted the guy himself and clocked him consistently at 90-93, touching 94 at times. Said he should cruise through Tampa and could make it to Trenton, all at the age of 19.

The last starter to propel himself so fast through the system was Hughes. Then again, he could just flame out.

6. vin says:

Am I the only one who was surprised to see AJax as high as #25? I got the impression (from various “experts) that his ’09 was a bit disappointing – lack of power, high k’s, high babip being the main culprits.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I wonder if – like Arodys – he’s being made out to be a better prospect just because he was traded.

• Drew says:

Premium defense, high average, speed on the basepaths at age 22 in AAA. I think 25 is legit.

• zs190 says:

I don’t know if he’s considered a premium defender. The reports on his defense has varied a bit, I’ve read that it’s average and some even mentioned that he would be better for corners.

• A.D. says:

Yeah, total zone thus far has not had him as a premium defender (though it certainly has it’s flaws). I think its basically scouts say his athleticism may lead to premium defense & he’s made some big plays, but he isn’t necessarily an amazing, premium defender.

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Yeah, it sounds right to me. It may be a bit high due to his concerning lack of power and abnormally high strikeout rate. But I read somewhere he’d been working on a new swing last season, which may account for some of the power performance issues.

If he figures it out, Austin Jackson could be one of the best defensive CFers in the game with top 7 offensive production at the position. Who’s up there now? Beltran, Sizemore, Kemp, Granderson, ??? The thing is it’s all potential right now. And he has really good potential, while also being able to contribute fairly quickly. 25 sounds around where I’d put him.

• Reggie C. says:

Nah. I’d rather see Fernando Martinez at the #25 spot. Better tools.

7. I’m so pumped for Z-Mac and Man-Ban in ’10. I hoep they both make big strides.

8. Just received my new telescopic lens for my camera. Can’t wait to use it this spring training. Jesus and Manny Banuelos are going to be two targets for sure.

9. Reggie C. says:

I don’t think i’ve ever seen Casey Kelly that far down on a ’10 prospects list.

Here’s hoping Montero doesn’t read the growing number of top prospects lists and Miggy Cabrera comps. I dont want anything to affect this kid’s ’10 minor league season … if he stays focused, the bat will demand a promotion to the big league squad before ’10 is out.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

is it worth derailing his behind the plate development, and his AT the plate development to get a bat in mid-year?

i’m inclined to not take too many risks with this gem…

• JGS says:

it was a typo. Kelly was supposed to be #1

10. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

if montero is piazza, and romine is very good, then at what point do we ship one of these guys off for something else?

i’d like to think our pitching staffs are self supporting for a few years (depending on andy and javy resigning), our IF looks great, and even our OF looks pretty good…and i certainly cant see shipping romine off for a reliever!

well?

• Reggie C. says:

“Our OF looks pretty good” … Really? I’d love to see the farm develop an OF in the next couple years to give us options other than Granderson and Swisher down the line. Its no given that Granderson improves his Righty/Lefty splits. I’m not ever talking about the current LF situation.

I’m really interested to see guys like Slade Heathcott, DeLeon, and John Murphy hit well from day 1. I’d love to see a couple of those guys crack the bottom of the ’11 list.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

absolutely.

i dont think i’m alone when i say that our OF’s defense looks pretty good this year–gardner, grander, swisher–and should hit well enough to fill the expectations of a 7-8-9 group (not saying they’ll hit 789, but if they did that wouldnt be completely wrong).

so somebody throws an awesome lefty at us…the other guys wont hold up enough? and so what–we throw CC, AJ, Javy, AP right back at them knowing they only have 6-7 innings to make their mark. not concerned :)

• JSquared says:

I love the Javy acquisition more and more everyday. An inning-eater Strikeout pitcher who was a Cy Young candidtae Last year… is now teh Yankees #4 Starter… Love It.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

NUMBER FOUR starter. damn…

I really thought next year (11) we’d see IPK fight to be our fifth starter, so that’s out now…but really, CC-AJ-AP-Javy-Joba w/Hughes up next. damn.

I don’t want them to rush these young guys, but how awesome would it be to see Romine and Montero come up in September and compete at ST in 11?!

• Tom Swift says:

If both guys make it to the majors, why not have a platoon at catcher until it’s clear (a) how good Romine is and (b) how good the other catcher prospects are? With Higgy, Murphy, and Sanchez, we have a lot of those.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

the biggest thing i can think of is being able to sell one of them for something we need more…or just move Teh Heyzoos out to LF.

having cervelli and pena as our bench wont be too bad–decent, cheap.

but being able to trade romine for a #4 SP maybe? is that too high?

11. RichYF says:

Any idea why Arodys was absent from the list? If I’m not mistaken, many had him ranked as the #2 or #3 prospect in the Yankees farm system. How did he fail to crack the top 100?

• Jake H says:

Fankie wasn’t that high on him. He hinted that it’s hard to rank guys who 1. didn’t play a lot this year and 2 didn’t play in full season. He got a lot of hate about Tyler M from CO not being higher.

• rbizzler says:

Also, he mentioned in the chat that he would not be surprised to see Arodys make a serious leap this year once he gets his feet wet in full season ball.

He also really like Bleich, and referred to him as prospect #101, FWIW.

12. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

2 prospects I’m most excited about: Teh Jesus and Manny Banuelos.

Slade Heathcott, despite his youthn, also looks very interesting.

13. yankeewanabe says:

i thik sldw has a good chance to open after extended spring/t in the sally league

14. yankeewanabe says:

excuse the spelling slade

15. Let the record reflect:

Jesus Montero + ManBan + Romine >>> Kelly + Westmoreland + Anderson

16. [...] Piliere of AOL FanHouse released his organizational rankings today, one day after dropping his top 100 prospects on us. The Yanks came in at #15 overall, right in the middle of the pack. “The Yankees have [...]