Feb

Open Thread: A letter from Safe At Home

That up there came from the thank you letter I received from Joe Torre’s Safe At Home Foundation today. As you probably remember, we donated $1,500 to the foundation as part of our 2009 Pledge Drive a few weeks ago, though I wasn’t expecting any kind of thanks. You can see the full letter here, though it’s tough to read from the pic. Don’t worry, I did transcribe the thing, so you can read it after the jump. It’s not overly personalized or anything, but it’s the thought that counts.

Otherwise, here’s your open thread for the night. No basketball tonight, just the Olympics. You know what to do, so have fun.

Dear Michael,

On behalf of the Board of Directors, volunteers, staff and the tens of thousands of individuals suffering through the experience of domestic violence each day, I want to express my gratitude for your generous gift to The Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation. You contribution will be of great help, as we continue in our mission of “educating to end the cycle of domestic violence and save lives.”

The Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation is a publicly supported 501(c)(3) organization, tax-exempt by the Internal Revenue Service. Accordingly, contributions made to the Foundation are deductible for federal income tax purposes. Please note that we have no provided you with any other goods or services in exchange for your $1,500.00 contribution. Your donation is, therefore, fully deductible. Please retain this letter for your records.

Our combined efforts give hope and support to the many children and families that have to cope with fear, abuse and violence in their lives, We hope that you will continue to be a member of our Safe At Home team.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Coppola
Development Officer

Categories : Open Thread

1. Rough start for the American women.

2. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

So, the headeline “Jeter Bites Tongue Over Contract Issue” is on the front page of Yahoo. It’s followed by “The Yankees refuse to change a policy to accommodate one of their all-time great players.”

Why don’t they get it? It’s seriously friggin annoying that this is even an issue. The Yankees have a strict policy… big deal, Jeter has said he can’t imagine being anywhere else, and the Yankees aren’t going to let him go unless something out of the ordinary happens, end it there.

3. So. Dude. What the hell is with this snow?

• I just heard it going to pretty much be snowing from now until Sunday. So much for getting any work done.

Whatevs, I could use a few days off. I’ve had roughly 2 1/2 since New Years.

4. Riddering says:

You know what yanks me right out of a dramatic moment in “Lost”?

When Mac from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” shows up as a random Other.

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

WORST. RANKINGS. EVER.

25. Jacoby Ellsbury
    26. CC Sabathia

WTF.

6. bexarama says:

Picture day!

(safe)

And they look slightly less like zombies than last year!

7. W.W.J.M.D. says:

I can’t wait for spring break. I live about a half hour from the Sox and Twins ST sites so I’m going with my best bud, who is a Sox fan, to see the Sox. I can’t wait to see how much shit i get from Sox fan for going there wearing my WS Champ shirt.

8. Question: Which book do I tackle next? Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, the Bronx is Burning, 2066 or a book on Auschwitz?

9. T-Dubs says:

If you were a pitcher, wouldn’t you be terrified to get giant tattoos on your pitching arm?

I get nervous just seeing them, especially on the elbows.

I also hate needles though so maybe I’m overreacting.

10. Hangoverologist says:

Open question: Over/under 40 HRs for Tex this season?

I say over with 42.

• ColoYank says:

Do you think he’ll start out hotter?

Considering Tex-man, he has similar unorthodoxies from both sides of the plate. He looks like he’s leaning way back away from the plate, and swings one-handed (this is more accentuated when he hits lefty). How does the man hit anything?

I liked it that you picked the “over.”

• bexarama says:

I think he’ll be slightly better at the beginning of the season this year. He’s gonna have Alex Rodriguez batting behind him from day 1 this time around, after all.

He’s always a slow starter, though.

11. pete says:

any stocks people on the site?

12. rbizzler says:

Ahoy:

does anyone have any insight into which projections/advanced metrics are the best for fantasy draft prep?

I have finished 2nd and 3rd in my NL-only roto league the last year but I am looking for an edge (outside of luck) to put me over the top this year.

13. Snow is coming down SIDEWAYS in Bayside right now.

14. Tom Zig says:

Pick one:

Waffle House or IHop

15. You know, the guys at NoMaas are just WAY too obsessed over that one comment Jorge made about ‘toughening his hands’ a few years ago.

16. bexarama says:

I know there’s been complaints about the ads on the site or whatever, but I just want to say that I’m very amused that there’s currently an ad for buying Cubs gear. That’s all.

17. Jake H says:

Do the people of RAB think that the Yankees should spent more money on the draft? I was wondering because over at nyyfans.com in the forum a guy is complaining about the Yankees spending on the draft and int signee’s. I think that they spend enough.

18. Joe has another Fangraphs piece up.

Someone tell that Steve S. guy that he isn’t funny. What an ass.

19. there needs to be a snow day tomorrow. I’m knee deep in slush on the upper west

20. A-Rod Offered Damon Advice on Free Agency

-Announce your free agency during the World Series

-Receive no offers from anyone due to your asking price

-Fire your agent and attempt to negotiate a deal yourself

-When all else fails, remember these two words:

Hank

Steinbrenner

21. bexarama says:

Oooh I should add that I had MLB Network’s Hot Stove program on in the background earlier and one of the analysts said something like “it’s a good thing they got all those strikeout pitchers because the outfield defense is very iffy,” and then a couple of the other analysts chimed in that what he was saying wasn’t necessarily true, and that the Yankees had greatly improved their outfield defense. (fistpump)

22. AJ says:

Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reported that Manny Ramirez said he would play three more years in the majors and then two years in Japan. This came just a day after Ramirez hinted that 2010 would probably be his last year with the Dodgers and possibly his last year in baseball altogether. At this point, Ramirez could announce that he wants to play for Mr. Burns’ softball team and nobody would bat an eye.

Haha that was funny.