Feb

Open Thread: Win $1,000,000 (not from us)

I don’t know about you guys, but one of my all-time favorite past times is baseball video games. Going back to RBI Baseball to MVP to the crazy in-depth stuff we have these days (I mean seriously, I have to decide who to protect from the Rule 5 Draft in a video game?!), they were all a great way to sit back and unwind. I prefer The Show, but if you’re into the 2K series, here’s your chance to take home a seven-figure payout thanks to your (joy) stick skills.

From Asylum:

All those Dew-fueled gaming marathons and the sleepless (dateless) Saturday nights will all be worth it when “Major League Baseball 2K10″ drops on March 2. That’s because the first person to pitch a perfect game — no hits, no walks, no errors — between then and May 1 wins a million bucks.

Compete on Xbox 360, Xbox Live, PlayStation 3 or PlayStationNetwork in the MLB Today mode, select from the available matchups, then highlight the “MLB 2K10 contest” option and have at it. You’ll have to document your greatness — keep a camera or DVR rolling because you have to send your flawless game to 2K Sports on DVD.

Don’t even think about cheating: 2K Sports has partnered with Twin Galaxies International — the worldwide authority on video game records and provider of scores to Guinness World Records — to keep things on the up-and-up.

For the record, I kinda suck at baseball games. I have thrown no-hitters and perfect games before, but it’s been a mad long time, since the days of EA Sports’ MVP series. My problem is generally offense, probably because I tend to use sucky teams like the Padres for my franchises and stuff. The game gets too easy with the Yanks because they have all the best players, and I like a little more of a challenge. Anyway, if you’re into 2K, good luck in your pursuit of a million bucks.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Nets, Devils, and Rangers (with their new pickups) are all in action tonight, but talk about whatever you want here. Just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. When does The Show ’10 come out?

2. Steve H says:

/impatiently awaits Taintstick’s 1st post

3. Rey22 says:

Funny that you use the Padres Mike, that’s the team I use and I do it exactly for the same reason. Though lately, I’ve been picking the Orioles. I get to play the Yankees, which is cool, and beat down the Red Sox, which is always satisfying.

4. Pasqua says:

So, MLBTR put up a bit about how Rich Aurilia wants to play with the Yanks or Mets. Okay, fine. But the thing that strikes me as odd is that the end of the post states that, in ’09, Aurilia went on the DL with “phantom injuries” at the Giants request. Ummmm….is that cool? I’m thinking that’s not cool. Wouldn’t there be an issue with doing that, let alone admitting it?

5. Accent Shallow says:

While I certainly could use a million bucks, I haven’t played a non-Wii baseball video game in roughly 10,000 years. Crap.

6. So today I saw a tweet about how Joe Girardi should be fired.

Am I allowed to give up on humanity??

7. Steve H says:

If it was RBI Baseball I’d win. I still rock the NES.

8. A.D. says:

Hmmm, what would be the best set-up to try for the 1M?

King Felix & the Mariners at home vs KC would probably be my choice.

9. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

HEY…headed to tampa in three weeks…how do i go about getting pics with my kid and our WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS or at least the guys that are trying to make that team this year? what about autographs?

10. Anyone else watch the Caribbean World Series game today between the DR and Mexico? Pretty good game. Dominican Republic won 2-1.

11. Honest question:

If you created Melvin Croussett in the MLB 2K10 game and used him to pitch the perfect game and win the million, would it be considered cheating?

Similarly, when Melvin actually arrives in the big leagues, will he be allowed to actually pitch, or will he immediately be banned from professional baseball for cheating?

Because Melvin-level dominance has to be some form of cheating. I feel guilty and a little dirty watching him work. It’s not fair. There’s definitely some illegal or immoral competitive advantages at work somehow.

12. Steve H says:

So Brett Favre’s agent is showing off pictures of Favre’s injured ankle to show how bad it is/tough he is. I continue to be amazed at what a fraud he is.

13. Riddering says:

Conversation I had with an attorney in my office as we left for the day:

Attorney: Did you hear that Johnny Damon says he wants to play for the Tigers?
    Me: Yeah, I saw that. Damon will play for anyone. He’d play for–
    Attorney: Anyone who will pay him. Damon is a ho.

And then I laughed through his explanation that he was using the term akin to “fashion ho”. But let’s never forget–Damon is a ho.

14. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I’m pumped to see Jokinen and Prust play instead of Kotalik and Higgins. For the moron that Sather is, he completely fooled the gm of the Flames.

15. Graves says:

I’m going to win the million and I’m going to do it with Oliver Perez and the Mets

16. An hour and a half away……..

17. bexarama says:

So last night I think someone brought up whether Piazza would go into the Hall as a Met or a Dodger, and it got me thinking that, provided the BBWAA are non-dumb (a dicey proposition, I know) and vote Roger Clemens in, what team does he go in under? He definitely SHOULD go in as a member of the Red Sox, but between the ugly way he left that team and the fact that he won his rings, which he’d been dying to get, with the Yankees, would they put him in as a Yankee?

Also, what do you think the chances of Mussina and Schilling getting in are? FWIW I think they should both be pretty much locks. And I think the explanations for voting for Schilling, both yes and no, will reach an all-time dumb level (I’m voting for him because of the bloody sock! I’m not voting for him because he was a jerk that one time!).

• Steve H says:

Sox, hands down.

Moose-definite, will take a few years
      Schilling-will have to wait longer, but I think he gets in.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well the guy who writes responses to the official Red Sox website inbox thinks so for Schilling.

With Curt Schilling going into his second year of retirement, I’m just wondering if you think he will make it into the Hall of Fame. What team does he get in with? He has rings with both Boston and Arizona.
      – Cory E., Manchester, N.H.

First of all, I think Schilling is a Hall of Famer. Consider that he topped 200 wins and 3,000 strikeouts, and is one of the finest postseason pitchers (11-2, 2.23 ERA in 19 starts) of all-time. It says something that Schilling won World Series games for three different teams and had a strong presence on all of them. The dilemma of which cap he will wear is an interesting one, because you could make a strong case for three teams.

It could be that he goes in with the Phillies. Though Schilling didn’t win it all with Philly, he spent 8 1/2 seasons there, which is by far the longest stop he had anywhere in his career. The case for Arizona is that Schilling had perhaps his two most dominant seasons there — 2001 and ’02 — and also teamed with Randy Johnson to slay the Yankees in that epic ’01 World Series. And, of course, for the Red Sox, he helped snap an 86-year curse, pitching through tremendous pain to do so, and also won a second World Series with Boston. As you probably know, the process is no longer in the hands of the player. To avoid a conflict of interest, the Hall of Fame now makes that decision.

Schilling last pitched in the Majors in 2007, so his first year of eligibility will be 2013.

• T-Dubs says:

I think Schilling is a virtual lock. Moose I like to think will probably get in but not of the first time. After Maddux, Glavine, Unit, Pedro, and maybe Clemens are voted in, Moose’s numbers will probably start looking better compared to the next group of retiring pitchers.

And I think Clemens goes Sox.

• Piazza: Yes, with a Mets hat (better rate stats in LA, but nearly 1000 more PA as a Met, plus it’s where his prime was and where his success was)
      Clemens: Yes, with a Red Sox hat
      Schilling: Yes, with a Phillies hat
      Mussina: Yes, with an Orioles hat (barely)

• T-Dubs says:

I would bet Moose would go Yankees.

• It’s close, but if I were on the Hall I can’t see not putting an Oriole hat on his head.

He’s got about 1500 innings as a Yankee but over 2000 as an Oriole. Two more years as an O. Much more dominant rate stats in Baltimore, as well.

• Steve H says:

Agreed. As good as Moose was with the Yankees, he was even better with the Orioles. IIRC, didn’t he outduel the Big Unit twice in the same playoff series, during one of Unit’s ridiculous seasons?

• bexarama says:

Yup. It was the 1997 ALDS. The Unit got beat up in one of those starts but the other game was 3-1.

His 1997 postseason was pretty insane, especially the ALCS. 15 IP, 1 R, 25 K!!! 0.533 WHIP! 2.4 H/9!! I think he set a record for Ks in LCS play. And just to prove how dumb wins/losses are, he was 0-0 in two starts (and could have been 0-1 if Mesa didn’t blow a save).

• Accent Shallow says:

As if Mussina wasn’t great enough, here’s another wild fact about that series: in Game 6, he got as many swinging strikes as he did looking strikes — 18 of each. 107 pitches thrown.

And hey, game 3 ended on a walkoff steal of home. WTF do I not remember that? How is that not a major highlight?

• Evan says:

Not sure. It’s even more puzzling considering that there was controversy over whether the ball Vizquel bunted at hit his bat or not as the steal was really a squeeze attempt.

• T-Dubs says:

It’s a tough call. Moose was so smart that you would think he’d appreciate the history involved with going in with a Yanks cap.

But he’s also a dick and might wear the O’s hat just to be contrarian.

• Gil says:

Piazza’s going in as a Marlin

• Chris says:

I agree on Mussina and Schilling. People spend too much time comparing their stats to guys who pitched in the 60s with the 8 foot high mound and 4 man rotations. That’s fine if you take a sophisticated look at the stats, but that’s not what these voters do.

Since wins are so important to the BBWAA, shouldn’t they consider the fact that starters get only 80% as many chances for wins (4/5)? That would move the magic number for wins from 300 to 240…

As for the standards for HOF voters, this quote from Murray Chass caught my eye:

The ballot almost didn’t make it. I was talking on the telephone to a friend, also a baseball writer, about three hours before midnight on New Year’s Eve when I realized that I hadn’t submitted my Hall of Fame ballot. The deadline was upon me.

I had already put an X next to Jack Morris’ name, but I still had to decide on five other players – two repeat candidates, Andre Dawson and Bert Blyleven, and three first-timers, Barry Larkin, Roberto Alomar and Edgar Martinez.

Whatever you think about his judgment in who he voted for, it doesn’t speak well for him that he suddenly needed to make a decision on his vote in the last 3 hours before the deadline.

Here’s the link… http://www.murraychass.com/?p=1369

18. nirzhor says:

anybody know any good sites for book reports? i have to submit 1 in 2 days? thanx

19. T-Dubs says:

I’m drinking a Boddingtons. Anyone jealous?

20. Tom Zig says:

Better invention:

Wikipedia

or

Google

• Jose says:

Wikipedia. Google is great, but it is more of an evolutionary step in the internet. There were plenty of early search engines that were just as powerful. Wikipedia was a revolutionary approach to having intelligent people assemble information in one centralized location.

• Accent Shallow says:

Google. Wikipedia is more convenient, Google is far more useful.

• Jose says:

Google is more useful, but there are other search engines that are nearly as good. Find me another source like Wikipedia. Many other reference sites were built off Wikipedia.

• Seconary point: It’s probably harder to Wikihack than it is to manipulate Google top ten metadata/targeting info. Wiki thus has a better signal-to-noise ratio, IMO.

• Accent Shallow says:

Many other reference sites are built off Wikipedia? Ick. I’ll stick to primary sources, thankyouverymuch.

• But, other reference sources (tertiary sources) link to Wiki (secondary source) which links to the primary sources at the bottom of each article.

The internet is a series of tubes.

• Accent Shallow says:

Ok, I feel like the above was a bit dismissive.

Wikipedia is clearly more convenient — they have an article on just about anything. However, the longer articles are often tedious (and not necessarily in the TL;DR sense), and many of the shorter articles are lack crucial, obvious information.

Google is just a compiler — plug in what you want, and hope you were clear enough for Google to return something useful. However, if there is something useful out there, Google is very likely to find it. This isn’t necessarily the case with Wikipedia, as the articles are often poorly sourced, or sourced to print sources. (Like I have time to go to a library! I am using the Internet!)

21. Mo's Savant says:

What are the chances that Tino goes into the Hall? Is he a lock or maybe a third or fourth ballot guy? Does he go in as an M or Yank?

22. bexarama says:

Spotted in the last thread and not commented on:
    “And Granderson for all his homer hitting isnt that far above Melky.”

• Meh, it’s SBGL. Batshit inanity is par for the course for him.

Old hat.

• bexarama says:

yeah but every so often something just makes you do a double take. That statement was that something.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Speaking about batshit insane these questions on the Yankees homepage makes me a very, very sad panda.

– Chuck R., Troy, N.Y.

OBP, OBP, OBP. The Yankees love Johnson in the two-hole because he’s an on-base machine — at .426 last year, the only players in the big leagues who were on base more than him were Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols, who both took home their respective leagues’ MVP awards.

Sure, Johnson might get lapped by Gardner in a foot race, but the thinking is that he’ll be on base enough that Teixeira and A-Rod will have a ton of RBI opportunities. Johnson did almost all of his hitting out of the two-hole last year, hitting .298 (110-for-465) with seven homers, 52 RBIs and a .433 on-base percentage there.

Do you really think that Jorge Posada or Robinson Cano is going to be able to protect A-Rod in the lineup? I think it was a mistake not going after someone like Vladimir Guerrero.
        – Joe A., Pekin, Ill.

We’ll see. I don’t think that Posada is considered an easy out by any means, and the fact that he’s been a No. 5 hitter in his career makes it not completely foreign. In fairness, he wasn’t all that effective in the five slot in ’09 (.177, 20-for-113), so take that for what it’s worth.

The Yankees have talked for years about how they project Cano to hit higher up in the order, so my only caveat there if they go that route would be that he needs to correct whatever was changing his results with runners in scoring position last year.

I know the Yankees keep saying they’re sticking to a budget, but left field is easy to figure out. They want Carl Crawford, so why don’t they just trade for him now? Imagine his speed in the lineup.
        – Jeff R., South Burlington, Vt.

Can’t debate you on that point; I think that Crawford is the type of player that general manager Brian Cashman would love to add if (or is it when?) they get the chance. However, the current stance between the Rays and Crawford’s camp is that they’re going to see if something can be worked out contractually.

The Rays may listen to offers, but it’s difficult to see a trade going down before the season. Tampa Bay’s motivation would be more to move Crawford at the All-Star break if they completely fell out of the race, and even if that happened, would they want to trade Crawford within the division?

There’s a lot still to be answered, but the Yankees could offer Crawford 81 games on natural grass, close quarters with buddy CC Sabathia and all the resources — financial and otherwise — of playing in New York. He’d make a nice fit and you definitely haven’t heard the last of that idea.

What is the status of Shelley Duncan? Why don’t we hear anything about him?
        – Glenn L., Huntersville, N.C.

I’ve been getting this one a lot, so it must have slipped by a lot of people. Duncan has signed a Minor League contract with the Indians, so good luck to him there — a nice guy who could use a fresh start. Speaking of Duncans and fresh starts, longtime farmhand Eric Duncan has signed with the Braves, to answer another e-mailer’s question.

• bexarama says:

I actually saw a question on there recently (post-WS) that was like “Why don’t we trade high on A-Rod right now?” I just… what?!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh my Mo. Just…why?

• For Lack of a More Creative Name.. Alex says:

I remember seeing that somewhere as well… I was about to respond, but thought better for the sake of my sanity.

• Accent Shallow says:

When the “trade A-Rod” calls were at their height in 2006, someone put together a list of the best young players on each team, that they thought the Yankees would demand in exchange for Mr. Rod’s services.

Looking at it recently, such a trade would have been a steal — for whoever got A-Rod. One reason you don’t trade guys like him for young players — young players regress and/or get hurt, especially young pitchers.

• Mike Axisa says:

I remember Olney harping about a potential A-Rod for Buehrle swap. Massive facepalm. The Yanks sorely needed an ace at the time, but sheesh. Buehrle can’t miss bats and his best attribute is his durability.

Very good pitcher, not good enough for me to give up Alex.

• bexarama says:

Mark Buerhle is so adorable. :}

That said, yeah, no thanks. It’s not like he’s not a very good pitcher who will give you many notably above-league-average innings, it’s just when you consider the pitchers that have no-hitters and perfect games it’s like… him?

• I think signing Nick Johnson was a huge mistake. What are his stats hitting in the two-hole, if any? I think the Yankees should try Gardner there. I just don’t understand.
          – Chuck R., Troy, N.Y.

– Joe A., Pekin, Ill.

– Jeff R., South Burlington, Vt.

What is the status of Shelley Duncan? Why don’t we hear anything about him?
          – Glenn L., Huntersville, N.C.

Is it true that if you don’t “use” it, you “lose” it?

23. Drew says:

So Rich Aurilia wants to be a Yankee…

24. JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Since we’re discussing Hall-type stuff, who goes in as the first legitimate Tampa Bay Ray?

Popular opinion would say Longoria but I’m gonna go crazy here and say Desmond Jennings.

He’ll put up a career line of .354/.436/.570

Second choice is Kelly Shoppach.

25. JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Also, Steve H and I will be starting a blog together. Because Steve is a poor communicator I’ve unilaterally decided to name the blog This Is Beyond Baseball.

We should have posts going up tomorrow or Thursday.

26. Drew says:

Woohoo. New Kitchen Nightmares.

27. 28 next year says:

by the way, has anyone heard of the show, Castle. It is a decent dectective/little comedy type show on ABC if you’re into it, I am not really but someone told me about it. Next Monday, Joe Torre is on the show in a new episode.

28. Taintstick says:

Turns out Paul Blart: Mall Cop was better than that piece of shit Avatar.

29. JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

OK guys, I have http://www.mystiqueandaura.com/ for a year. No host or e-mail on this yet.

Anyone know I can get the domain on WordPress?

• bexarama says:

Sorry if this is an incredibly dumb answer, but don’t you just go to WordPress and see if “mystiqueandaura” is available?

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

It’s unfortunately taken on WordPress, but I bought the domain on GoDaddy.com. I can pay $10 to WordPress to do some sort of domain mapping and other stuff. What that means, I don’t know. I’ve used WordPress before, so I’m a bit familiar with it. I figured that would be a logical fit. Can I transfer a domain bought somewhere else that’s taken on WP, and remember I don’t have a host yet, and use the WP software? Not sure.

To be perfectly honest, I have no technical skills. I’ve got Excel, Word and Powerpoint down. That’s about it.

Basically, what I want is a cheap host with intuitive software that will take my domain name.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, I can’t help there :( I have no technical skills either. Sorry.

• Steve H says:

I’m looking into this myself, sad thing is I think you’re more technical than me. But I can destroy excel. (and even play some baseball games)

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Dude, I’m on like Storybook Weaver. You must still be at Space Invaders.

We should definitely just grab something easy to get into.

• chriskeo says:

I’ve set up a bunch of websites before for different groups in the past and I would be glad to help you guys get started. So you basically want something like WordPress, but you want to use your own domain name? For as cheap as possible?

• JMK aka The Overshare's Garden Apartment Complex says:

Really? Yeah, basically. I have the domain at GoDaddy + the business registration (didn’t even notice I spend the $5 on it, and it seems useless for what we’re doing, but whatever). I should have bought the domain name from somewhere else; that whole site is like giant one ad designed to fuck people into unwittingly buying things they don’t want.

Anyway, I’m semi-familiar with Typepad and WordPress. I’d really like to just use that software with the domain I’ve purchased so Steve and I would have a low learning curve. The domain purchased on Godaddy is taken on WP—not sure if that changes things.

I really appreciate you offering to get us on our feet. My email is jameskleimann@yahoo.com

Thanks again.

30. bexarama says:

I’m flipping channels and one of the guys on SNY just said Joba should be “the eighth inning closer.”

Sigh.

31. Dave says:

Puck drop in LA. Let’s go Rangers!

32. Mo says:

Jeff Weaver, minor league contract with LA is a steal, cheaper than Mitre! Reed Johnson less than half the cost of Winn, bargain.

C’mon Cashman. It seems that agents will not geve the Yanks a bargain ever. This will be underscored when Damon signs for nothing.

33. Hughesus Christo says:

Is this SNL skit reason enough to finally banish Sergio Mitre? I will never be able to hear this name or see someone with it ever again without laughing hysterically.

OLD, I KNOW.

34. Chris says:

You can do this on xbox live? What idiots, all I need to do is play my friend and have him swing at awfull pitches all day to win a million dollars??? Gateway to controversy. Id like to see the terms and conditions.

35. Chris says:

And its void in CT and for CT residents…so I’m out.