Mar

Open Thread: Team bondage

Al Aceves on a motorcycle, otherwise known as the greatest picture in the history of the universe. You can see the rest of the pics here.

Wait … that didn’t come out right.

A day before their Spring Training games start, the Yankees had what has apparently become their annual team bonding excursion. Last year they played pool, and this year the whole gang went to an arcade to relive their childhoods. A.J. Burnett won the Indy car game, Andrew Brackman won at skee-ball, and Royce Ring won at Pop-A-Shot. I had no idea what Pop-A-Shot was until I looked it up, and apparently it’s that basketball game where the hoop moves around. Never heard it called that before, but it was never my thing anyway.

“It was a great day,” said Mark Teixeira. “The fact that we get three or four hours not to have to worry about baseball and not have to compete on the baseball field, it was fun. Playing video games, we felt like kids again. It promotes a light-hearted atmosphere.

“The great thing about this kind of atmosphere is that there’s no veterans or rookies, starters or role players, Triple-A or Single-A; everyone is on the same playing field. We’re all having fun, really kind of letting our hair down and getting to know each other without competing on the field.”

I’m glad everyone had a blast today, because the baseball season is one really long grind. Hopefully they got their fun in now, because they’re going to be playing from tomorrow until October 4th, at the very least.

* * *

On to more serious business. Here’s your open thread for the night, but we first need to do something about the comments. There’s way too many memes and inside jokes going on around here, and worst of all they’re repeated like, ten times a thread. We need to put an end to that. It’s off-putting to new readers and commentors, which we don’t like.The more people that come to the site to talk intelligently about baseball, the better it is for everyone. Let’s scale it back a bit on that stuff and focus more on good old fashioned baseball talk, please. Here’s our commenting guidelines if you need a refresher.

Anyway, all three hockey locals are in action now that the Olympics are over. Anything goes, just be nice.

Photo Credit: NY Yankees

Categories : Open Thread

1. Open Thread: Team bondage
    By Mike Axisa

Nelson Muntz (on exiting the movie Naked Lunch with Bart, Nelson, and Ralph): I can think of at least two things wrong with that title.

/MQBB’d

2. Drew says:

It’s off-putting to new readers and commentors, which we don’t like.

Back in my day, you join a blog and deal with pre-existing memes. Now a days, blog readers are a bunch of sissies.

• Big Juan says:

Haha.

I remember what it was like when I started commenting, trying to understand all the chaos. It’s a bit overwhelming at first, but that much more fun when you’re in tune with all of it.

• It’s a bit overwhelming at first, but that much more fun when you’re in tune with all of it.

Seth Meyers: Well, there might be qualities about John McCain you respect, but do you honestly believe that Gov. Sarah Palin is prepared to be Vice-President?

Bill Clinton: Look… sometimes women will be uncomfortable doing something at first…

I have found, with enough persuasion… they will come around.

• About to get punched out by ya'll says:

I’ve been reading this blog for a couple years and even I’m sick of all the meme BS and inside jokes. the average thread is well more than half random BS, with a few (often ignored) actual comments regarding the post. Well played Mike.

3. A.J. Burnett won the Indy car game, Andrew Brackman won at skee-ball, and Royce Ring won at Pop-A-Shot.

At least Brackman can win at something. hard to believe hes good at skeeball since hes bad at pitching.

Cashman cant be happy that he gave a 40 man spot to a skeeball champ.

/YouKnowWho’d

4. Christos says:

The Mexican Gangster at his best.

5. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

YANKEE BASEBALL TOMORROW!!!!!!

That’s an excellent pic of Aceves, but seeing Mo, Po, Tex and Jesus in one pic made me all happy inside.

6. bexarama says:

I posted this in last night’s open thread but at like 4 in the morning, so nobody answered it. So here’s your trivia for the night, I guess – guess who WARP (not WAR) had as the highest-rated pitcher in 2008. This pitcher also did better than every position player save Pujols, Berkman, Hanley, and Chipper.

Hints:
    1. didn’t win the Cy Young in either league
    2. not CC (I added up his WARP from his Cleveland and Milwaukee and it still didn’t equal the total of this pitcher)

Also, that is a BAD. ASS. picture of Acey.

7. Accent Shallow says:

There’s a pic of Chris Garcia in there. Here’s hoping he didn’t injure himself.

(Seriously, he’s already had soreness? I’d love to see what the guy can do if he’s ever healthy)

8. Dirty Pena: The Triple Entendre says:

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT! Does this mean first game thread of the year?

9. Accent Shallow says:

Man, I feel like a kiss-ass, but I completely agree.

/puckers up

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Good Ol’ fashion baseball talk with John Kruk and Peter Gammons!

• Riddering says:

I think things got a little out of hand this week after the anonymous scout post.

So, really, it’s all Mike’s fault.

• As hard as it is to do (since they just kinda flow from my fingers subconsciously), I promise to scale back on the memes a bit (at least, the ones that specifically refer to other commenters. I’m still going to hand out plenty of tasty Pinstripe Beers, though).

My request: I hope certain other unnamed commenters refrain from doing shit like this:

Nothing, and I repeat, nothing, is as infuriating as a commenter who repeatedly fails to read what is clearly written and instead incredulously and angrily responds to a different artificially created strawman position.

I’ll meme-snark less. I hope others think more and respond better. I think that’s a fair tradeoff.

• Jose says:

You expect me to think more? Someone needs to lower their expectations.

• rbizzler says:

I am definitely not one to talk as in my non-RAB life I have been known to regulate on fools, but there may be instances when silence is golden.

It may be helpful to think about it in a manner in which responding to ignorance/baiting/trolling is not furthering the discourse, but instead, opening yourself up to criticism that takes away from your overall point/message.

My understanding is that you work in politics (please forgive me if I misunderstood/misremembered) or are at least politically minded, so I think that you will appreciate the parallels of this situation with a politician allowing her/himself to get off-message. The result is that the petty tone muddies the discourse and distracts people from the more important issues at hand.

Plus, it is always fun to hammer home a good meme to make the people laugh, but sometimes a little restraint is in order.

/end unsolicited advice session

• Just wanted to add my nod of agreement with all these sentiments… It’s fun that a lot of people comment here often, but we can’t rely on inside jokes so often that it makes the comments section less fun or interesting or informative for the other readers/commenters.

And if I might add one thing… Let’s try not to jump down people’s throats so quickly. Sometimes people say things we disagree with or even things that are dumb, but they’re not always (in fact they’re probably just about never, certain commenters excepted) trying to be dumb or to annoy other commenters who may be better-informed than they are. Just because you may have had a conversation ten times and find it annoying when someone brings up a point you think has been debunked doesn’t mean that other person has participated in those conversations.

Anyway, just my two-cents. I think it’s usually well-intentioned, but sometimes I think the comments can get a little out of hand with mocking people or their ideas very quickly. We all do it, I’m not singling anyone out and I think at times I’ve been just as guilty of this as anyone else. There’s nothing wrong with calmly explaining to someone why they’re wrong and, if they just don’t want to hear it, leave it be and let them think about it some. There are plenty of people here who have changed their minds about certain issues over time.

• Chip says:

Does this mean Melvin and Nails are going to die?

• Bob Stone says:

I agree. I’ve been here on RAB awhile and do enjoy the occasional “/alex gonzalezed” stuff. However, I can see where Nike is coming from as I get tired of spending a lot of mental energy trying to figure out inside jokes and memes. It must seem like a crazy, turn-off maze to some new readers/commenters.

I think we will all get more out of this blog if it continues to prosper and grow. With that thought in mind, I, for one, totally support Mike’s request.

10. pete says:

once the RAB dictionary is up, can we go back to CWTOPOTBDT?

11. Christos says:

Just a reminder of our awesomeness that was last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQtnXa3Qlo

12. Steve H says:

A little redemption for Rob Neyer today.

Steve (Boston, MA)

Rob, was your “the Yankees clearly don’t care about defense” comment from a few weeks back sarcasm?

Rob Neyer (1:01 PM)

I didn’t put that well. I didn’t mean that Brian Cashman doesn’t know about defense, or doesn’t think it matters. I just meant that considering his roster and his payroll, he could focus more on hitting and pitching than fielding.

13. pete says:

soooo, i read the Hughes article like 5 hours after it came out and so my post was lost in the flickering shadows of antiquity, but in case anyone feels like hearing (reading) my long-winded opinions on the subject, here it is:

14. pete says:

banhammer time!

15. Accent Shallow says:

How unrealistic is it for me to expect Joba’s stuff to look like 2008 this year?

Averaging 95 on the fastball, hitting 100 every start, generally making hitters look silly when he’s on . . .

• Jose says:

Prediction: Joba does not hit 100 at any point this year.

• JGS says:

He hit 100 every start in 2008?

• Accent Shallow says:

Joba’s max (and average) fastball velocity for every start he made in 2008, per Brooks Baseball’s PitchFX tool:

6/13: 98.4 (94.6)
        6/19: 98.8 (95.1)
        6/25: 99.0 (95.3)
        7/1: 97.8 (94.8)
        7/6: 99.4 (94.9)
        7/11: 98.4 (94.8)
        7/19: 99.6 (95.2)
        7/25: 99.6 (95.5)
        7/30: 99.4 (94.9)
        8/4: 98.2 (94.8)

(He had two shortened starts on 6/3 and 6/8, but Brooks Baseball isn’t cooperating for me, so forget it)

That might not be hitting 100 every start, but that’s some serious gas.

• For Lack of a More Creative Name.. Alex says:

I just want him to work efficiently, show good command, and [insert cliche here]. In all seriousness, if he could average 93ish and occasionally hit 97, he would be in fine shape.

• Tom Zig says:

100 MPH or 100 pitches?

Both are 100 but are totally different.

• pete says:

Prediction: Joba averages 109 mph on the fastball, 94 on the slider with 15 inches of break, 85 mph on the curve with 24 inches, and 81 on the change with 20 inches, and goes 34-0 with a 0.00 ERA, and strikes out 293. As he approaches his innings cap, he moves to the BP in the post season (since the other 4 starters are equally dominant), where he pitches quite well. People clamor for Joba to the pen in 2011 because it just fits his mentality better.

• Steve H says:

Did you hit submit too soon? This is way too short for a pete post…..

That being said, IETC.

• ROBTEN says:

In the interests of the new seriousness, I have a couple of questions about something that Joseph said in a thread a few days ago about not using BABIP as an “average” comparative stat:

I understand that as an an indicator, BABIP is not as effective as a general comparative stat, given that there are secondary factors individual to a player which affect its meaning. But, does knowing the league average BABIP mean anything when projecting a player like Cervelli?

For instance, in the case of a player like Cervelli, who has a limited ML history, how are projections for xBABIP calculated? In a relatively SSS, Cervelli’s BABIP put him in the top half of all AL catchers last year with a min of 100 PA.

However, CHONE has Cervelli projected at .309 next year. Is this an effect of the presumed regression to the mean in other areas? In other words, if it is the case that we cannot necessarily assume that Cervelli’s BABIP can be compared with or regressed to the mean, then is this projected decline a secondary effect of the the projected decline in other areas?

That is, if we assume that Cervelli is generally at or below league average in all other areas, is it incorrect to assume that his BABIP might have been a high variation and, in turn, that we also can’t expect a correction towards a higher BA in that respect next season?

In other words, with a player like Cervelli, is it incorrect to assume that his at or below average average rates and projections in other areas means that it is less likely that Cervelli was unlucky last season and more likely that even his BABIP will regress, and thus we should not necessarily expect any more than what he has shown? Or is there something in his stats which explains why he has such a high BABIP, when all the other projects are league average or below, including speed (despite his “quickness for a catcher”)? Given that both his K% and his BB% are below league average, which, combined with a low OBP, seems to imply that he is entirely dependent on putting the ball in play, it would seem that even a relative projection of his xBABIP would be important going forward. (And, for what it is worth, James still has Cervelli at .321 next year, but with an OBP at .326, meaning he hits or he doesn’t get on).

Or, short version, what information, if any does league-average BABIP provide for young hitters?

Thanks.

• ROBTEN says:

I don’t know why this posted here. It should have been a new post, not a response. My bad.

• Accent Shallow says:

League average BABIP gives us something to regress towards — typically projections use a players past 3+ seasons (or MLEs), and add in a splashing of regression to the mean.

However, since BABIP is due to things like how hard the ball is hit and speed, different types of players will be able to sustain different BABIPs — someone like Gardner will be very different than someone like Cano.

16. andrew says:

an ad in the comments? interesting… i sense a RAB edit coming on…

17. Mike Axisa says:

Sheesh, that ad was an ordeal. Left the same spam comment on every post since Sunday.

18. Hangoverologist says:

So I ate Chinese tonight food tonight. I open up my fortune cookie and I see the lucky numbers. My lucky numbers are 46, 24, 50, 23, 9, 11. So I am going to pose a challenge to all you guys. Can anybody name the most recent Yankees (Like 1985 on) to wear these numbers. Winner gets a cookie (or alcohol, in order of preference).

19. Riddering says:

On catching Mussina:

I only caught Moose once. I don’t know if that was because of me or just because he and Jose Molina did so well together. The only game I caught for him was against Boston, and I don’t know if he made it through more than two innings. Hit the first batter of the game. I went out there at one point and he goes, “You want to pitch?” I said: “I’m not having much fun back here, either. But at least I have a mask on.” I think I had just thrown a pitch out into center field. It wasn’t going very well. He was giving up shot after shot. We didn’t match up after that.

I miss his grumps.

20. Jose says:

I have a question about the blog. Are there any plans to implement that optional registration? Or anything else in the works?

21. No more memes and inside jokes? I, myself, am essentially a meme on this site.

Damn you for taking my identity, Axisa. Damn you!

I’m not sure I have the stomach or IQ to make valid, introspective points.

Just…fuck.

22. Jamie says:

C’mon guys and gals! Its March!!

Who are everyone’s favorites to either win it all or reach the final four?

I will play favorites and continue to pick Villanova…. even though we are tied with Cinci right now at the half which is a sin

23. So 5/51.25 for the Justin, huh? That deal could wind up being a total steal for the D-Backs.

24. rbizzler says:

Ahoy peeps,

I asked this the other night but did not get a response, but does anyone have a preference concerning metrics they use for fantasy baseball pre-draft resources?

25. Look, I want Phil Hughes to be a starter for the long haul as much as the next guy. I just think that the minimal gain you get towards his future innings limit is completely negated by missing out on all of that experience against big leaguers. We know Hughes can go through a lineup three times, he’s done it his entire life in the minors. All he’s going to do in Triple-A is spin his wheels. You don’t learn anything from carving guys up, you learn from making mistakes and getting smacked around a bit. Keeping Hughes in the Majors to start the year puts the best team on the field and is the best thing for his development.

Amen, Mike. That’s one of the best Yankee-related posts I’ve read online in a long, long time. In plain English, concise, yet covered all the bases.

• Although I would have edited out that last part about the ‘dumb idea’ stuff. I agree that the folks who want to send him down are wrong, but smart people are wrong about things all the time.

Anyhoo, I think some folks fundamentally misunderstand the nature of the relationship between the team and player, especially concerning pitchers. The team doesn’t exist to serve the needs of the player, the player is there to serve the needs of the team. A pitcher who can help the team on the MLB level is ready to give the team a return on the already substantial investment they’ve made in him (signing bonus, instructs, etc) That’s what he’s there for.

Plus, pitchers can blow out their arm at any moment. Can you imagine if he spent 2-3 months in AAA, and (God forbid) blew out his elbow? Or worse, his labrum? Cashman would be kicking himself in the ass for not getting whatever he could out of him while he was able. This stuff about “Short term over long term” is silly when it comes to pitchers. There is no long term. Nobody knows how many innings Hughes has in his right arm. You may very well be planning for a future that never comes, which is a great way to become the next KC Royals. Win now, win now, win now.

• I’m not going to get into this conversation again (it was covered pretty exhaustively in the comments in that post), but just one thing… The people who want Hughes to work in AAA aren’t more concerned with the player than they are with the team. They think proceeding that way is what’s best for the team.

• That.

I’m not putting Phil Hughes’s development before the team’s priorities; I think Phil Hughes’s development is an intrinsic part of the team’s priorities.

• I understand you don’t like the characterization, but if he’s not helping the team win games at a time when he is physically able and mature enough to do so, then that’s exactly what’s happening. He’s either on the team, helping us win, or he’s not and it’s ‘about his future’. Obviously, the Yanks could benefit from that ‘future’ but when it comes to pitchers, TINSTAAPP.

• “He’s either on the team, helping us win, or he’s not and it’s ‘about his future our future with him’.

Important distinction that I think you’re glossing over.

• I get that their interests aren’t exactly mutually exclusive. But again, the players are there to help the team, first and foremost.

The funny thing is, I don’t even think Hughes himself would argue with what I’m saying. Remember last year? They asked him if he wanted to start in AAA or go to the MLB bullpen and he didn’t hesitate for one second.

And Hughes being in Scranton for a few months and then taking on a larger role in 2011 helps the team.

That’s the second point that you refuse to acknowledge. 2010 is not the only year in the calculus. Hughes helping the team slightly less now to help the team considerably more later is a rational, sound position for the team to take in their constant objective to create a roster consistently capable of winning a title each and every single year.

• I refuse to acknowledge it because (as I stated earlier) for all we know Hughes may not have a 2011. And I don’t buy into the notion that relieving on the MLB level is bad for his develoment. I (and David Cone) think it enhances it, not harms it.

If he really needs innings that bad, let him get 30-40 in Puerto Rico during the winter.

That won’t stand up to a good reductio ad absurdum, though. If we start saying that we should make pitching roster decisions based on the principle that “next year isn’t promised to this guy”, we’d move Andrew Brackman and Zach McAllister into the big league bullpen immediately and DFA Gaudin and Mitre on the spot.

Saying that pitchers have a high risk of injury does not mean that we should try and squeeze every inch of production out of each and every pitcher immediately, long-term-strategic-planning be damned. Yes, pitchers get injured and 2011 isn’t promised for Hughes. We should still plan for 2011, though. It will come, Phil Hughes or no Phil Hughes, and until he’s definitively NOT in the 2011 picture, he should be definitively IN the 2011 picture.

• And I don’t buy into the notion that relieving on the MLB level is bad for his develoment.

Again, that’s not an accurate portrayal of our argument. It’s not necessarily that relieving on the MLB level is bad for his development, it’s that starting on the AAA level is marginally BETTER for his development.

• Right, even if you accept the ‘marginally better’ part (which I still don’t) then you’re still advocating for a marginal benefit over the known benefit of him providing substantial value for the 2010 Yanks. All decisions for a GM should be so easy.

• But that’s not an easy decision.

Marginal future benefits v. marginal present upgrades is not a clear-cut win for marginal present benefits every single time.

It’s just not. I’m not sure how else to explain it. It’s a careful, dispassionate balancing act that can easily be ultimately decided for either choice.

Thinking that it’s always a slam-dunk for the present marginal upgrades is a boversimplification. You know that it is.

• Bah, whatever. I already got a post out of this a half hour ago. Mission accomplished.

• Remember last year? They asked him if he wanted to start in AAA or go to the MLB bullpen and he didn’t hesitate for one second.

I’m sure accumulating ML service time, hastening free agency, and making more money probably had a lot to do with Hughes’s rational decision in that instance.

• No, you’re just plain wrong. Look, I’m not even on the other side of this conversation, I’m not arguing for Hughes to pitch in AAA, but you’re mischaracterizing their argument. They want Hughes to pitch in AAA because they think that is the best thing for the Yankees, not for Hughes. They think the Yankees will be fine for a few months without Hughes, that they can then bring Hughes up later in the season to pitch out of the MLB ‘pen for part of the regular season and for the postseason (knock on wood), and that the Yankees will be better off in 2011 and beyond because Hughes will have worked as a starter for most of the year and gained the experience and innings that come with that work. Their argument is about the Yankees, not Hughes. Frankly, I don’t know how you can pretend to know their motivation better than they do, it’s kind of patronizing.

Dude, it’s no biggie, it’s like you said… Smart people are wrong about things all the time.

• ColoYank says:

ICWUDT (I see what you did there – how’s that, Mike?), and admired it.

• For Lack of a More Creative Name.. Alex says:

Kinda late, but further, many people are concerned that one of the five main starters will get injured. Sixth starters get a lot of innings every year. What it boils down to; Is Hughes’ innings spot starting+another bullpen guy, like Melancon, worth more than a full season in the ‘pen for Hughes with Gaudin getting those innings as a starter?

• ROBTEN says:

This could be turned around in two ways, though. First, if the fact that “pitchers can blow out their arm at any moment” were the only guiding factor, then it would shape how you approach all young pitchers, not just Hughes. The question is whether the need in the bullpen is so pressing that Hughes is required. Those who are arguing that Hughes should go to Scranton to start the season, as he did last year, don’t think that two months in the minors will destroy the bullpen and that in a relatively short space, his absence can be filled. Second, we could turn this around and say, what if he blew out his elbow because of the added stress on his arm from coming out of the bullpen and never got to see what he could do as a starter? There are always risks with young pitchers. No one is suggesting that sending him to AAA is not without risk, but in the same way it would be shortsighted to make decisions on perceived risks that might or might not happen.

No, you become the KC Royals by making poor, short-term decisions. You become the NY Yankees by balancing your short-term and long-term needs. Right now, the bullpen is already stronger than it was last season with or without Hughes. Those of us arguing that Hughes should start the season in Scranton believe that any risk in the relative short-term are outweighed by the long-term benefits. No one is arguing, for instance, that Hughes necessarily remain in Scranton for the whole season or that he never pitch out of the pen this year. Further, no one is suggesting that the team “throw games away” early in the season. Rather, the suggestion is to use our relative strength in the bullpen to make sure that he is given the full time and opportunity to develop into the top of the rotation starter that has been projected as his ceiling.

• Except for this:

I hope I’m not angering Axisa for saying this, but that’s still simply a boversimplification. You may feel that there’s less that can be gained from Phil staying in the Scranton rotation for a few more months, but there’s certainly not NOTHING that can be gained.

• Meh, fine “little”.

You try writing a 400+ word piece and choose every word perfectly. Soooo easy to be in the peanut gallery. I’m still waiting for your guest post, buster. You and Mondesi.

• Hey ZZ says:

A couple of things regarding learning nothing in AAA vs learning how to get big league hitters out in the bullpen.

1. I think there is a point where the “David Cone Concept” of benefiting from pitching in the bullpen runs its course. Last year I believe it definitely benefited Hughes in a physical and mental sense pitching out of the bullpen. 50, 60, 70 more innings in the bullpen? Not so much IMO. What is he learning at this point? He can mix in his change, but the second one of them gets crushed for a double in a 2-1 game in the 8th inning I do not think we will be seeing many more changeups. He has already demonstrated that he can get big league hitters out during one inning stints where he blows people away with his fastball and then dropping a curve in there. Is 60 more innings of 1 inning pitching really going to benefit him that much or at all as a starter? Is he going to do anything different from last year in the BP?

2. At this point what he needs to learn is how to get “hitters” out for 6-9 innings and for 160-200 innings a year. Not just big leaguers, but anyone. He has shown he can get anyone out in short stints and limited innings. His innings high in AAA is 29. Yes he has dominated the minors, but no matter how much he dominated he has not demonstrated or really been able to demonstrate he has the stamina to dominate ANYONE for 6 innings at a time over during a 160-200 inning season. Are we really guaranteeing based on such a small sample that Phil Hughes would dominate AAA hitters over the course of a full season?

It is not just about saying “His body is capable of pitching X number of innings in 2011.” It is about how effectively his body can handle pitching that number of innings. It is about mentally handling that workload.

What Phil Hughes needs for 2011 is to be mentally and physically prepared to go out there and run through a lineup 3-4 times. 60-70 more innings in the bullpen is not going to help with that. There is a lot more to being a starting pitcher than developing the “ability” to get a hitter out one time.

26. steve (different one) says:

Aceves looks like the f’ing Terminator.

27. Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

Yanks play tomorrow.

28. Jamie says:

So much for Lance Stephenson being “Born Ready.”

29. Zack says:

If you’re going to have these stupid events, atleast get the results right so you dont screw kids out of millions of dollars for posting false times.

30. Maximilian Javier Rodriguez says:

If you were offered a trade straight up, Justin Upton for Jesus Montero, would you do it?

I don’t know what I would do in that situation. They NYY farm is low on Outfield impact talent besides Slade, but Montero’s bat is supposed to be godly. Upton’s no slouch himself.

The NYY farm system is loaded with catchers so I guess it would depend if I had the knowledge that Cashman does about just how well Montero would do at catcher.

Anyway, what would you guys do?

31. No interest in Mateo: One of our more knowledgeable bloggers inquired today about the Braves possibly having interest in Wagner Mateo, a 16-year-old outfielder from the Dominican whose $3.1 million agreement with the Cardinals was voided last year because he failed a physical.

But a Braves source have since informed me that they do not have any interest in Mateo.

Andy will be overjoyed.

32. bexarama says:

the Sports Pickle website is doing “previews” of every team before the season starts. The Nats and Pirates are up already:

They’re pretty funny.
    Washington’s big acquisition in the bullpen is new closer Matt Capps, who was cut from the PITTSBURGH PIRATES in the offseason for not being good enough for the PITTSBURGH PIRATES!!!! Capps to the Nationals is like giving cancer to a person with AIDS.

33. Maximilian Javier Rodriguez says:

There’s a fun tidbit in the article about the Team bonding outing.

From:
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com.....8;c_id=nyy article

<blockquote cite=

“Granderson said he spent a good part of the day talking about non-baseball topics with Andy Pettitte, but the highlight of the day for him was watching Kei Igawa repeatedly and hilariously struggle at Indy Car racing.

He kept racing up against the wall and damaging his tires. He wouldn’t move off of it,” Granderson said. “He had his left hand on the wheel and he was just cruising like nothing was wrong. He was doing that for a good three minutes. Everyone was shouting, ‘Turn left! Turn left!’

50 Million and he can’t even play video games. At worst he could’ve been a solid MLG prospect, but he can’t even do that.

34. JobaWockeeZ says:

So in Yahoo when in the pre-ranking thing you get to do if you’re going to miss part of the draft, what do you do?

Do you rank only the players you have a shot of getting or ranking every player in the order you like. So do I put Pujols as first even though I have say the 10th pick or do I put Teix first since he’ll likely be there at 10th?

35. Mike Pop says:

So I got the 9th pick in my draft, who should I take?

36. Accent Shallow says:

Gonna be at ST in a few weeks.

37. So I think I’ve finally decided on my list for the “If you could only watch five movies for the rest of your life” category:

The Godfather
    Jaws
    The Sandlot
    Imitation of Life (1959)
    Turks Fruit http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070842/

38. pat says:

It’s so fucking sad that the nightly news on Fox is now showing a 5 minute American Idol recap. Jesus Christ, what a sad state of affairs.

39. Mike Pop says:

Carlos Beltran, a good pick in the 8th round?

40. Dan says:

Can someone explain where “Mexican Gangster” came from to a new poster?

• pat says:

Ace is from Mexico.
      Ace shows no fear on the mound.
      Ace never smiles, is big, bald and looks like a badass.
      Therefore Ace is the Mexican Gangster.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t think anyone really remembers when it started. I think it was during his Sept. callup in 2008. He was having a great start or something, and the dialogue went…

“Oh man, Aceves is killin’ it today.”

“Dude’s a pimp.”

“No way, he’s a gangster.”

“Right, a Mexican gangster.”

And it just kinda stuck.

41. bexarama says:

I love you, Nick Johnson:

He looks like that in every picture I’ve seen of him from ST.

42. Dan says:

Thanks. Love the nickname, just wanted to know where it came from.

43. Mike HC says:

I was thinking about who should hit in the two hole, and the more I go through the options, the more Teix seems to make sense. And especially when it is a lefty starter. I would go with:

1- Jeter
    2 – Teix
    3 – A-Rod
    4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 can be any combo of the rest, Swisher, Cano, Johnson, Posada and Granderson, depending on who is hitting the best, splitting up the lefties and righties, etc …
    9 – Winn/Thames/Gardner

Against righties, I would probably use Granderson in the two hole and move everyone down a notch. But against lefties, I almost definitely go with Teix.

• bexarama says:

Johnson should definitely be in the lineup before the two guys that’ll probably combine for ~80 HRs.

• Mike HC says:

I like Nick Johnson as a two as well. The lineup is so good it really does not matter that much.

But, Teix is still a better hitter, and moving him and A-Rod up gets each of them more at bats throughout the season. If you bat Nick fourth then lets say, after A-Rod, guys like Posada, Swisher, Cano and Granderson all are more than capable of driving him in. His OBP would not be wasted.

44. bexarama says:

If you’re a Mets fan, Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS has to be the most amazingly awful game ever.

45. Maximilian Javier Rodriguez says:

I just Finished a mock draft on ESPN. I had the 7th pick out of 8 and this is what I ended up with.

C – Brian McCann
    RP – Andrew Bailey
    RP – Jose Valverde
    RP – Billy Wagner
    RP – Rafael Soriano

Did I do alright?

46. Dan says:
    Can someone explain where “Mexican Gangster” came from to a new poster?

Mike Axisa says:
    I don’t think anyone really remembers when it started…

Matt Imbrogno says:
    You know Tommie is gonna see this and come up with the exact thread soon enough.

Steve H says:
    He’s like Rain Main when it comes to remembering things like that and digging it up.

Here you go:

My Advanced Google Search powers are AMAZING. You’re welcome.

• pat says:

This is funny…

pete says:
      June 17th, 2008 at 8:04 pm

i like that shot of veras and ramirez sitting together in the pen
      future late inning studs with the stuff they have, mark my words

• I like this exchange on the heels of my above conversation with Nostra about “getting value out of Hughes while you can since 2011 may never happen”:

mustang says:
        Al Aceves is 25 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!
        I’m wondering how he can make it up the stairs.
        Sometimes you guys really know how to hurt a guy.

LOL

Joey says:
        25 is OLD man ;-)

tommiesmithjohncarlos says:
        Might as well call him up now and see if he can help before he dies in a couple of years…

47. Ray Fuego says:

what wonderful pics as a birthday gift!

48. [...] Open Thread: Team bondage A day before their BSpring/B BTraining/B games start, the Yankees had what has apparently become their annual team bonding excursion. [...]

49. [...] team went to an arcade for their annual bonding trip, which will hopefully help with their tough early season [...]