Mar

Yankees return Hoffmann to Dodgers

Via LoHud, the Yankees have returned Rule 5 pick Jamie Hoffmann to the Dodgers. While the team could still send a player to the Dodgers for Hoffmann, based on numerous reports, the Yankees simply do not have a roster spot for him right now. Randy Winn has already made the team, and as George King reported this weekend, the Yankees are planning on taking Marcus Thames, currently signed to a minor league deal, north with them next week. Thames will reportedly play left field when the Yanks face southpaws, but with his suspect abilities in the outfield, I wonder if the team is willing to take that defensive risk two or three times a week.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Chip says:

O well, guess they didn’t like what they saw. Hey, maybe Colin “Babe Ruth” Curtis will make the team now! Or Greg “Rickey Henderson” Golson has a shot

2. All Praise Be To Mo says:

So I’m guessing this means Marcus Thames has made the team?

3. The Three Amigos says:

I just think they were getting a right handed bat off the bench. I would be surprised to see Thames starting in LF, unless we were facing a really tough lefty, but I think Winn would get the start over him. This leaves Thames on the bench to pinch hit late in games for Granderson or Gardy against a LH reliever.

4. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Bye Hoffmann =(

5. Accent Shallow says:

So Brian Bruney was traded for . . . nothing?

Well.

6. Jake H says:

I don’t understand why they let him walk. Thames sucks in the field and his bat hasn’t done anything. While it is small sample size I would rather have a guy who has potential than a guy who is old and not very good.

7. if they’re just looking for a rh bench bat for small pigeonhole situations i would much rather have jermaine dye than thames…but, dye prob wont sign for $850,000

8. paul says:

thames has been horrible this spring..hoffman was at least young, could play all 3 of spots, could run well, etc…Gotta trust cash and company I guess…but I would rather have hoffman…also, not so bad when all you can complain about is a 5th of spot… :O)

9. JC says:

May be the Yanks needed the 25K

10. I’m surprised they didn’t keep him for longer. Then again, it was whispered (I think around MLBTR or some place) that the Dodgers were happy that J-Hoff went to the Yankees because they figured that they’d get him back eventually.

11. Can’t say I’m thrilled about this, but I’m not exactly devastated either.

12. Am I the only Kevin? says:

I am confused regarding the timing of it all. Why let him go now instead of letting it play out a little more? (Unless, of course, the Yanks really didn’t like what they saw). Once could always swing an end of spring deal for his MiL rights, or perhaps an injury could occur.

13. pat says:

He’s going, going back, back to Cali Cali.

14. ADam says:

There is always Weber… Hes prob better than Thames in the OF.. Not saying much and is having a great spring… we shall see

15. Drew says:

This opens the door for Golson to muscle his way into the big club in the coming weeks–months. If he can perform in AAA like he did in AA in 2008, his power provides an upgrade over Gardner (Winn too if he plays like he did last year). Go get it young fella.

16. FMV says:

Thames FTW! Wooo Hooo

17. Bo says:

They will def be in the market for a power stick come June. Either for a nice bench role or to start in LF if Gardner isnt getting on base.

18. Drew says:

I was looking forward to a season of “don’t hassle him.” Too bad he couldn’t stick.

19. jramey says:

I give Cash credit because he didn’t keep an “worse” player on the team so he wouldn’t be wrong

20. BigBlueAL says:

Well, in my 25-man Opening Day roster competition the Daily News is having to win the 2009 Yankees WS collector’s Set DVD I had Thames on the roster and not Hoffman so good news for me!!!! lol

21. bonestock94 says:

Maybe they can trade Mitre for someone better than Thames.