May

Miranda finally called up, Russo sent down, CHoP to start rehab

This one took a little longer to materialize than we originally expected, but Juan Miranda has in fact been called up, and is in the lineup at first base today. Mark Teixiera is getting a half-day off as the designated hitter, but I expect everyone to get a full day off given the weather forecast in Detroit. To make room for Miranda, utility player Kevin Russo was returned to Triple-A Scranton. Unsurprising, but still slightly disappointing. Hopefully Miranda gets regular at-bats, because this nonsense about a rotating DH needs to stop.

Meanwhile, Marc Carig reports that Chan Ho Park will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Scranton tomorrow. He’ll probably need two or three minor league outings before being ready to return to the big league team, so that puts him on target for a return next week. The bullpen sure could use him.

1. A.D. says:

Good stuff, interesting that Nova is being allowed to rot in the pen, but I guess he’ll be there to stay until Pettitte comes back or Sanchez can be recalled.

• vin says:

I’m just glad Girardi and Cash have learned the value of having a long man in the pen. They didn’t carry a long man out of ST in ’08 and ’09 and got burned both years. Hughes and Kennedy in ’08 and the CMW horror show in ’09 taxed the pen almost beyond repair.

2. A.D. says:

Chan Ho Park will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Scranton tomorrow.

Hopefully, buh bye Boone Logan

3. pat says:

Unfortunately the prospects of this game getting played look pretty bleak.

4. JohnC says:

How long will they wait before thye call the game?

5. Rose says:

CHoP to start rehab

Benihana is proud to represent the New York Yankees…aaaaand Hideki…

• vin says:

That’s why Mo loves Benihana so much – He gets free meals there because they’re a sponser, and He’s thrifty.

6. DSFC says:

Can Russo play shortstop at all? I’m guessing that’s the only reason they’re keeping Pena over him. I don’t know if Russo will hit at all in the majors, but I’m certain that Pena can’t.

Oh boy, Winn-Golson at the bottom of the lineup! Pray this one does indeed get rained out.

• Rose says:

Can Russo play shortstop at all?

Jeter has been pretty bad lately…in his last 4 games he’s 0-16 with 2 BB. His .311 OBP is extremely strange.

• whozat says:

He can fake it, but he’s not a good SS. I think he’ll make the plays he gets to, but…

• Evan in NYC says:

Randy Winn’s line since May 3:

.316/.458/.474

Looks like with the regular at-bats he is putting it all together.

Plus he is a solid defender over the clueless Thames and is also a threat on the bases.

• vin says:

I think Girardi favors utility IFers who he knows can play good defense at multiple positions more so than a guy with a decent stick and a poor glove. All things considered, Russo would probably have to hit better than an average Major Leaguer to take Pena’s job… and I don’t know if the Yanks think he can do it.

• IRememberCelerinoSanchez says:

I think you’re correct, but I don’t think Russo has a “poor glove” at second or third. I think he’s fine in those to spots. It’s short where the Yanks don’t seem to have confidence in him. But I agree with your analysis.

7. Dela G says:

welcome to the show, folks

8. Jose Mourinho says:

1) Weather.com is less reliable than the best weather site on the net: wunderground.com

According to wunderground, the bad weather has passed over Detroit, it appears that the game will go off on schedule.

9. Ty says:

Just hope they don’t start it and have to stop it again…CC doesn’t need another one of those.

10. JohnC says:

Stoneburner has been perfect thru 5 so far in his Tampa debut.

• vin says:

I wonder if we might see a Joba/IPK type ascension through the minors for Stoneburner.

• TheLastClown says:

Honestly…I hope not. Not because I don’t want him to succeed, I just feel like Joba & to a lesser extent, IPK, were really brought through too quickly.

We had expectations for these guys way too fast, and since they didn’t really take lumps in the minors, we got to watch them take lumps on the big stage. IPK made one comment & is forever remembered as a “petulant child” *this was just one person’s description, but everyone remembers what I’m talking about* while Joba’s development was so screwy that the starting pitcher who dominated the minors at every level is in the bullpen.

Anyway…let’s let Stoneburner have a couple of years in the minors.