May

Record low attendance at last night’s game

Via Ross, last night’s game against the Orioles was seen by just 41,571 fans, a record low for the New Stadium. The rain earlier in the day probably had a little to do with it, and I can’t imagine many Orioles’ fans made the trip up to see their 7-19 club either. The previous low was set last April, when just 42,065 fans watched the Yanks beat the A’s.

Ticket sales for the 2010 season are ahead of last year’s pace, so last night’s game was probably just a blip on the radar.

Categories : Asides, Yankee Stadium

1. Andy_C_23 says:

“last night’s game was probably just a blip on the radar”

Unlike Dallas Braden

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

“Yo Sheets, what’s this motherfucking blip doing on MY radar?

• bexarama says:

I turned on the As game last night just in time to see this segment that consisted of him talking about helping kids in the Bay Area. Except he wasn’t really talking about helping kids. He was talking about how super awesome he was for helping the kids. “I’m the man!!! I’m the man!!!” Yeah, he said that.

I think Dallas Braden is just kind of a weirdo.

2. 1) Monday Night.
    2) Orioles.
    3) Night game during Finals week and/or AP exam week.

3. I mentioned it in my game wrap post over there but ~40k attendance is pretty typical for midweek games this time of year against meh opponents.

In 2007 a game like last night would have had <40k probably.

4. Steve H says:

Must be nice when 41k is a low.

5. Chops says:

Next weekend, 2 tickets right behind home plate, $50

Booyah

6. vinny-b says:

in fairness, the stadium looks like a joke, based on every game i’ve seen on TV this year.

basically, every other seat in the lower sections of the stadium are empty.

7. bobtaco says:

For a little perspective on what a small crowd is:

Rich Harden tossed seven innings of two-hit, shutout ball in his first appearance against his former team, and Texas knocked off the A’s 4-2.

The announced crowd of 8,874 was the smallest at the Coliseum since 6,295 came to a game against Seattle on April 3, 2003. It’s also the first time the A’s have had a crowd of fewer than 10,000 since that 2003 date.

—-

8,874!!!!

8. Kyle says:

This will be the lowest attended game until Vazquez’ next start at home.

9. YankeeScribe says:

I live in Baltimore. I don’t think the Orioles have drawn 40,000 fans to any games this season

10. Jammy Jammers says:

This time of year is too likely for rainouts (in my uninformed opinion).
    I usually don’t go to games this early in the season.
    I’m to two in June.

11. Neil says:

Mother’s Day 1997 I brought 6 people to the game to see the Yanks get their 1996 championship rings. Got 6 seats on the day of the game in the 2nd row of the tier boxes right behind home plate. Attendance was about 25,000. Nobody especially the Yankees should be complaining about attendance of 41,000.