Jun

2010 Draft: Yankees targeting high school bat with first round pick

Via Frankie Pilere, the Yankees are said to be targeting one of two high school bats for their first round pick in tomorrow’s draft, #32 overall. The identity of those players is unknown, but the Yanks have been connected to first baseman/outfielder Christian Yelich in recent weeks. They would then follow that up by selecting a high school arm in the second round, #82 overall. That could mean any number of people, but reports this weekend have connected them to Robby Rowland and Jesse Biddle, both of whom fit the bill.

If true, sounds like the Yanks are going to go big and not go home. I approve. Give me upside or give me death.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. Jake H says:

I would rather have Whitson or Covey if they are there than a HS bat. I might also like Jenkins too if he is there and go for another prep arm with the 2nd round pick. Sounds like one of them might fall. If so than I think they take either of them.

• Reggie C. says:

Ranaudo didn’t disappoint scouts this weekend, so the chances that Theo Epstein selects Ranaudo haven’t declined. Perhaps one of Whitson or Covey do fall … but seriously, a squad like Colorado would be nuts not scooping one of ‘em up.

2. Gonzo says:

I approve! If they can snag another Slade or JR, why the heck not!

• scooter says:

Yup – and if your sign-ability guy from round 1 or 2 in 2010 doesn’t sign, you get a comp pick in a very deep 2011 draft.

Interesting thing is to watch which teams pay over-slot this year, and how aggressive they are about it.

• Gonzo says:

That’s a very interesting approach! Especially since next year might be the last year without hard slotting. Next year might be the last year players fall for signability. It might even have a decent impact this year somehow.

3. Cecala says:

Tomorrow are you going to do a draft letter grading system? It will make things easier for commoners like myself who do not know too much about draftees see how well the actual draft went for the Yanks.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t know if I do a letter grade, but I’ll definitely break it down. It’s three days long, so I’ll recap each day and what not.

• Dirty Pena says:

All you really need to know is that whoever the Yankees draft will undoubtedly be a huge bust since the Yankees don’t care about their farm system.

• Cecala says:

It is a shame we don’t have the elite scouts that are hoarded by Boston to draft top of the line talent like Casey Kelly. Woe is me for only caring about a team that overpays for free agents and doesn’t care about defense because they sign strike out pitchers.

4. Dela G says:

maybe a toolsy shortstop falls to them? ;)

5. Reggie C. says:

Yelich’s lefty swing and projected power would fit well in Yankee Stadium. Of course its all projection, but the kid is 6’4, 190 according to his mlb draft report, so its just a matter of creating more loft in his swing but keeping his bat fast … i think. Not sure if that makes sense as i’m a novice when it comes to discussing hitting mechanics.

One thing re: Whitson. is there any chance this kid drops due to signability concerns? I’ve read Whitson is second only to Taillson among the HS pitching ranks.

6. DJH says:

I agree aim for the high upside.

7. VO says:

Mike, where do you see High School shortstop Mike Antonio going?

8. Drew Vettleson. The Yankees must keep the ambidextrous pitching market cornered.

9. Frittoman626 says:

What are the chances the Yankees draft Dylan Covey

10. zs190 says:

Austin Wilson would be nice. Supposedly the best tools guy in the draft. HS bat that can potentially be very good if he can turn tools into production. Tough sign that will probably slide, could see him potentially slide to 32.

11. theyankeewarrior says:

Let me just remind everyone that the Sox are picking 20th today because the Mets decided to trade them Billy Wagner for a bag of baseballs. Did Omar totally forget about draft compensation or did he not know B-Wag was a type-A?

12. JohnC says:

Theres been so many names connected to the Yanks, I won’t be surprised one way or the other who they pick. I’m sure they have a list of about 20 players they are looking at, and as those names come off the board, it’ll come into focus who they will take.

13. Luca10 says:

Mike, Dan Klein in 1st round as a fast mover reliever and Rob Rasmussen in 2nd round? What do you think?

• Mike Axisa says:

Not a fan of Klein, and even less of a fan of taking a reliever in the first round. How often has that worked? Twice, with Street and Cordero. Waste of a high pick.

Rasmussen fits better in the third round, but a college heavy team will probably take him in the second.

• zs190 says:

Devil’s Advocate: MLB draft report on him seems to suggest that he has the repertoire (solid average fastball, curveball, slider, with good feel for a changeup) at least to start, Brett Cecil was a closer in college too and he looks like a pretty solid starter now. Not sure if Andrew Cashner was a reliever in college or not but he got converted to starter and most reports seem to suggest that it has worked well.

I’m not saying Klein is somebody we should pick because even if he works out, he seems more like a #3-#4 kind of guy, but Dan Klein doesn’t seem like he’s strictly a reliever.

• Luca10 says:

Oh, I’m not suggesting them for the Yankees. As you said, the Yanks have to take the highest ceileing available.

Just asking your pow on thei draft stock.

14. Scout says:

I watched the Yelich video again when I saw this post. Granted, it is only a tiny sliver, but the throwing motion is as bad as I have seen in a pro prospect. Is there any history of a shoulder injury with him? The swing did not strike me as very consistent, but again that may be a reflection of the editing. If the Yankees are serious about him, they’ll have scouted him closely.

I almost always prefer a high upside pitcher in Round One, and now I have soured on those with an injury history. The organization is thin on starters who project at the top of a rotation (as in, there are none).

15. dan says:

what are the chances yanks get Rob Rowland at all?

16. dan says:

what are chances yank will at least get boobby wahl or rob rowland