Sep

Andrew Brackman active for tonight’s game

This whole thing keeps getting weirder and weirder. We know that 2007 first rounder Andrew Brackman (along with some others) is with the big league team to work out with the coaching staff and what not, but now Chad Jennings is reporting that the Yanks have activated Brackman for tonight’s game. Not that I expect him to pitch (at all, the rest of the season), but Brian Cashman did give Joe Girardi the okay to use him.

Brackman was already on the 40-man roster, so no move had to be made. He’ll collect a few days service time but not enough to alter his arbitration or free agent clocks, and his paycheck probably won’t even change since his annual salary is presumably set by his big league contract. He’ll be easy to spot during batting practice and stuff, he’s the tall guy.

Categories : Asides

1. SamVa says:

hahaha oh lord… I can’t wait until he comes in and like K’s the side against the sox in the 7th inning of a game we are winning by ten runs and then we have the BRACKMAN TO THE PEN discussion for the next three years.

2. Actually, Carig and Feinsand are saying that Cashman said to expect Brackman to get some work in before season’s end

3. HotCarl says:

Brackman to the 8th!

4. Steve H says:

Can we add him to the post earlier about the last two spots on the playoff roster? I’d rather have him than the replacment level shit-fecta (h/t Salty).

Not going to happen (though like the post said this keeps getting weirder and weirder). It would be good to see him get some innings in though.

5. Big Stein says:

What’s his number?

6. Carlosologist says:

Brackman better pitch a scoreless garbage time inning. Doesn’t matter if we’re up or down (I’d like it for us to be up), I just want to see the biggest man in baseball pitch.

7. Maybe he’ll join the 60s club with Chamberlain and Hughes.

8. Jorge says:

I would LOVE to see the Yanks go up 10-0 tonight, have CC pitch eight strong, and have Brackman come out to pitch the 9th. It’d be like Andre the Giant tagging in Big John Studd.

• Zanath says:

If we won 10-0 I’d be shocked. I’d be happy. But I’d be shocked. I do think we will win tonight, but it’s more than likely going to be a close game.

9. vin says:

I’M SO CONFUSED!!!!! JUST MAKE A DECISION ALREADY!

Had to get that out.

10. southeryankeefan says:

I just went from 6 to midnight

11. John Cerra says:

Why not see what he has got? Frankie Pilliere’s scouting report had him throwing a plus 94 mph fastfall touching 97, and a a knee buckling curve ball…with a decent change. Think about Joba in 2007…to throw a shut down inning out the bullpen you need 2 pitches if one is a plus fastball.

He is a starter and can go longer…sounds better than Gaudin and Mitre…

12. John Cerra says:

That’s it…I take Brackman before Javy on the post season roster.

13. Alan says:

BRACKMAN TO TEH PEN!11!ONE1!

Whatever, this is a non-story. He’s up here for the end of the season to get his cup of coffee and see how the big boys handle themselves. I’ll be shocked if we see him on the mound for more than two innings over the remainder of the season.