Oct

The Texas Two-Step brings Yanks one win from ALCS

Fat Elvis is leaving the building. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Throughout September, Yankee fans worried that the team was squandering the opportunity to secure home-field advantage in the ALDS. Yesterday, the Bombers showed everyone why it didn’t matter. Powered by seven strong innings from Andy Pettitte and a home run from his fellow Texan Lance Berkman, the Yanks downed Carl Pavano and the Twins by a score of 5-2 to take a two games-to-none lead in the best-of-five ALDS. Fittingly, Nick Swisher — or at least his Twitter handlers — called the duo “the Texas Two Step,” and I think that’s a fitting nickname. The Yanks return home on Saturday looking for just one more win to secure an ALCS berth.

We’ll have more analysis on the game in a bit.

Categories : Playoffs

1. Brooklyn Ed says:

I seriously love it when Mariano Rivera is freaking GODLY during the playoffs!!! Let’s sweep them on Saturday, Phil Hughes. Oh, and Brian Duensing has more pressure than Hughes.

2. I’m not going to buy into the theory that the Yankees slowed down to purposelly avoid the Rangers and get to play the Twins instead.

I’m not, I swear.

3. UWS says:

My god, listening to Baseball Tonight you’d think Hunter Wendelstedt gave the game to the Yankees.

Would a stress-free sweep be too much to ask?

4. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

When I think of Jim Thome’s championship-less plight and Tragic Field’s Twins , These lyrics came to mind…

“When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
    When you’re sure you’ve had enough of this life, well hang on
    Don’t let yourself go, ’cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes…”

5. CBean says:

Two days ago, everyone laughed at me in a team meeting because I said the Yankees didn’t need home field advantage to win the ALDS, they already had the advantage of being the New York Yankees. And now Hughes can prove me right on Saturday! (Also, I’m getting to go to the game through work! I’m so excited!)

6. sleepykarl says:

The Yankees; We’re better than you and we know it.

7. mustang says:

Great win! Andy just no words the “CORE” of this team it will never stop amazing me.

Now we get two days of the Yankees hate machine reminding everyone of 2004. I see ESPN has a nice 30 for 30 film “Four Days in October” no surprise there.

Taking nothing for granted, but one more win and all the haters can go back in their holes until the next round.

8. iJoel says:

I’ve been a follower of RAB for a long time although I never really commented much.. Just wanna say hello to all and the Yankees suck!! Nah just kidding! Andy Pettitte really shut a Lot of these critics up today. Idk if I was guessing or I just believed in Pettitte’s Postseason Resume but I knew he wouldn’t disappoint.. It earned me 50$ =D

9. pete says:

For all the Yanks problems, the Twins have a bigger one.

They’re playing the Yankees.