Nov

Open Thread: TGIF

I know it’s the day after Thanksgiving and that a whole lot of you are in the middle of a four-day weekend, but there’s a large contingent of us that don’t have that luxury. Working the day after a holiday can be rough, especially when you’re still feeling fat and tired from a big feast. Anyway, that above is the latest graphic from RAB diehard Tyler Wilkinson, who managed to capture the feelings of Yankee fans everywhere in Brian Cashman‘s face and some block letters. Baffled indeed.

Here’s tonight’s open thread. The Islanders ended their 14 game losing streak by beating the Devils this afternoon, but the Rangers still have a game to play tonight. The Knicks and Nets are off. Talk about whatever you want, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. You promised no more Derek.

Anyway, if any Yankee fans want a treat, turn on YES. They’re airing Opening Day 1996 right now. Young Andy Pettitte just pitched to young Johnny Damon who hit a grounder to young Derek Jeter. Everyone looks so young and little. It’s like the baseball equivalent of “A Pup Named Scooby Doo.”

2. Can I get that in wallpaper resolution?

3. Mike HC says:

I’m digging all the Jeter contract graphics. If the Yanks and Jeter are going to turn these negotiations into a media circus, we should sure as hell have some fun with it. Nice job Tyler.

4. mike c says:

the 6/150 has been reported as false. why is it RAB’s agenda to keep pushing this?

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

A-Rod’s fault? He was a top 3 player in the game at the time. I mean yes he’ll be grossly overpaid but at least he produces at a good clip.

6. Andrew S. says:

Sorry if this has been brought up, but why can’t they just give him a bunch of performance bonuses that add up to a raise?

maybe a $15M base plus:
    $1M for 3000 hits
    $1M for .300BA
    $1M for 200H
    $1M for 100R
    $1M for Gold Glove
    $1M for MVP

Basically if he plays like Derek Jeter he should get paid like Derek Jeter. But if he plays like old balls DJ, he’ll get a pay cut. Good idea? Bad idea?

7. Nostra-artist says:

Casey Close-”That 6 year/150 mil report is inaccurate and frankly a damned lie. We won’t sign for a penny less than the 10 years/275 mil that Alex got.”

8. Andrew S. says:

Maybe Jeter needs to find a good mutual fund.

9. Accent Shallow says:

I am moving tomorrow. Who wants to help?

• KEITH: Better bring your gloves, it’s freezing out there. It shouldn’t take too long. I’d
      say maybe, oh, four hours. Really though, Jerry, there’s not that much. First we got
      the bedroom, we got two dressers and the bed.
      JERRY: Is there a box spring?
      KEITH: What’s that?
      JERRY: Is there a box spring?
      KEITH: Yeah there’s a box spring but it’s attached to the headboard and we’ll have to take
      that apart. Then we got the couch.
      JERRY: Is that a sectional?
      KEITH: Yeah. Twelve pieces. …coffee table.
      JERRY: Is that a thick marble?

[… Jerry and Keith start to laugh and Jerry walks behind Keith so they don't make eye
      contact and break up]

KEITH: Three inches thick. Got it in Italy. But the BIG problem is going to be the
      convertible sofa. You see when you move it it tends to open up so it’s going to be
      real difficult getting it down the stairs.
      JERRY: STAIRS??? There’s no elevator?
      KEITH: Nah, it’s a brownstone. Three floors.
      JERRY: I’m sorry I can’t do this. I can’t do it. I can’t. It, it’s too soon. I don’t know you. I
      can’t help you move. I’m sorry. I can’t. I just can’t.

10. bexarama says:

Baby Andy all cuddled up in the snow :3

11. The look on Cashman’s face can only express this:

“Did this mother fucker really just ask me that?”

12. Kiersten says:

My new kitten! I can’t handle how cute he is.

13. Nostra-artist says:

I am officially sick to death of the “what’s in your wallet” guy from the Capitol One commercials.

• JerseyDutch says:

Second. Also, “That logistics!”

• Jess says:

I don’t get it. What the hell are those guys? Vikings with British accents? And why are they suppose to be funny?

• Mike HC says:

I think, not sure, that the current commercials are the evolution of the original idea, which was that a group of Vikings will come and track you down and kill you if you didn’t switch to a Capital One card. Now, it is like one Viking who has assimilated into modern society. Agreed that the theme has run its course.

14. Gonzo says:

Required reading on why closers are overpaid.

15. MikeD says:

Where is that original picture from, meaning the pained Cashman look? I’m guessing some press conference. Can only imagine the question.

16. Reggie C. says:

MY Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is required listening. Bought it a couple nights ago and I can’t stop listening to it. Kanye’s a nut case but if these are the sounds stuck in his head that drive him crazy, we’re a most fortunate listening audience.

17. Does anyone know what the difference(s) is between a Certificate of Naturalization and a Certificate of Citizenship? Have the difference(s) changed in the last century?

My great-grandparents immigrated to the United States from Italy but my great-grandfather was issued a Certificate of Citizenship in 1929 while my great-grandmother was issued a Certificate of Naturalization in 1944. I’m at a loss as to why this happened – as far as I know, both were the first in their families to immigrate to the U.S.

18. First time lawng time says:

LMAO wow I just went to baseball refernce website and it shows the current payroll of the teams and SD has 5.5million ayrill at them oment. Stupid I know I just thought it was funny to see

19. First time lawng time says:

Lol that graphic is really good. I enjoyed it. Nice job. I personally liked the “It was arods fault”
    at the bottom lol

20. Jonathan says:

Cash looks like Taub from House in this. Anyone else see it?