Nov

Open Thread: Important Offseason Dates

Now that the 2010 baseball season is officially over, we can all turn our attention to the Hot Stove League. The Yankees figure to be prominent figures this offseason, as always, and their first order of business will be re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. Cliff Lee is a not-to-distant second … or is that third? Either way, you get the drift.

The baseball offseason is full of important dates for various events, such as arbitration deadlines and the like. Here’s a round-up of this winter’s key dates, with a brief explanation…

• Nov. 2nd-6th: Period for teams to negotiate exclusively with their own free agents. This used to be 15 days.
  • Nov. 7th: Free agents can now negotiate – and sign – with any team.
  • Nov. 16-17th: GM Meetings in Orlando. There will be rumors, but probably not any major moves.
  • Nov. 17th-18th: Owners Meetings in Orlando. Everyone complains about the Yankees.
  • Nov. 20th: Deadline for teams to set their 40-man roster with regards to the Rule 5 Draft.
  • Nov. 23rd: Last day for teams to offer their free agents arbitration, which they must do to receive draft pick compensation.
  • Nov. 30th: Last day for free agents to accept an arbitration offer.
  • Dec. 2nd: Last day to tender contracts to players with less than six years of service time. Another batch of players will hit free agency as they’re non-tendered.
  • Dec. 6th-9th: Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista. All hell breaks loose.
  • Jan. 5th-15th: Period for teams and players to file for arbitration.
  • Jan. 18th: Salary arbitration figures are exchanged.
  • Feb. 1st-21st: Salary arbitration hearings. Everyone likes to avoid these.
  • March 2nd-11th: Contracts of players with less than three years of service time can be renewed at any salary by the team (as long as it’s 80% of his previous year’s salary).
  • March 28th: Deadline to release players with non-guaranteed contracts without having to pay them their full 2011 salary.

I have no idea when the Rule 5 Draft is this year. Usually it’s on the final day of the Winter Meetings, but there’s been talk that’ll be moved up to late-November. That Nov. 20th date for setting the 40-man roster isn’t even set in stone (all of the other ones are, however). You’re also going to see a lot of options picked up and declined this week, those things usually have to be addressed within three days of the end of the World Series (or something like that) per the contracts.

Anyway, you may notice that everything is earlier this offseason than in years past, and that’s by design. MLB and the union want to give players as much time as possible to find jobs, and it’s hard to blame them given the way the market’s played out over the last few years. It’s also good for us, because all of the Hot Stove action starts that much earlier.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the evening. The Knicks are playing the Magic in the Garden have been postponed because of asbestos at the Garden, so that’s pretty much it for local sports. Now I remember why I hate the offseason. Talk about whatever, just be cool.

1. Free Agency seems like it coming by much faster than last year.

2. The Knicks/Magic game actually got cancelled because of the whole asbestos-cleaning-stuff that fell from the attic. So yeah, nothing going on tonight.

While I feel that ponytails are a very nice hairstyle, you could always talk about political garbage.

3. JobaWockeeZ says:

Well Elijah Dukes has been arrested…

4. Carcillo says:

No baseball, football, hockey, or basketball that I care about tonight.

Splendid. I won’t be around here for long, I suppose.

5. Jake says:

Open threat! Every man for himself!

6. swishers fauxhawk says:

Zach Parise out three months. Ugh.

Let the tankjob begin in Jersey.

7. Carlosologist says:

I was at a thing earlier this afternoon, so I caught up with the afternoon threads. I came upon the Mesa thread. Um…

If people have deep psychological issues, then obviously the logical thing to do is make sexist comments that are loosely related to the thread’s topic.

8. candyforstalin says:

we’ll find out which party takes the senate: the high deficit party or the other high deficit party.

9. ZZ says:

A couple of thoughts from ZZ in light of some controversy today.

1. I discovered today *gasp* some of you guys talk about RAB posters and comments made here on twitter. Twitter has become like a locker room at a HS. Crazy. Anyway, ya know its not very nice to talk about people behind their back. ;)

2. This place exists to discuss, not argue. When some asks you a question or challenges your opinion it is not always about arguing or disagreement. It is about furthering the discussion. It is about making the discussion more substantive. There is no reason to take such offense or get so defensive. I love asking questions challenging how people think or feel about something even when I agree with them. That is one of the best ways to learn, change your mind about things, and develop how you feel about something. Even if you agree with something you may develop even more reasons to trust your stance or if you don’t agree one of the people in the discussion may end up changing their mind. In the end it never hurts, because ideas or opinions suck if they don’t get challenged and put through the ringer of thought.

10. I hope all you jackalopes voted today, regardless of your political affiliations or preferences.

Democracies can’t truly enforce the will of the people if the people don’t let their will be known.

11. first time lawng time says:

LOL I heard noone talking about the WS today. I also saw 1 (ONE) article mentioning the Giants winning.

Yeah, pretty lame series if you ask me. I’m sure the ratings were poor.

12. ZZ says:

Damn. I forgot thought 3 from ZZ. This one is for bex.

I actually LOVE statistics and sabermetrics.

• bexarama says:

Ha. I totally do not believe you re: the last one. At all.

Did you see when I thought you were Joel Sherman? Only you actually like Posada so you clearly have more sense than him. ;)

• ZZ says:

lol. I did not see that. Do you have a link?

But, really I do love statistics and sabermetrics. But statistics are meant to be challenged and questioned very strongly. Some people like Rob Neyer have actually referred to sabermetrics as a science. That is laughable given the lack of questioning and testing that goes on with these statistics. There needs to be more to make these statistics stronger and more reliable. There is too much just acceptance in the community IMO.

I love statistics and that is why I question sabermetrics so much.

• Whenever people bring this up they get shouted down as a hater but I tend to agree with what you’re saying. I think it gets taken as an attempt to discredit work even though it’s not.

• bexarama says:

It was kind of old and I unfortunately do not. Just, Sherman wrote this article talking about AJ and it sounded a lot like something you would write, and it had a lot of ideas you’d expressed.

I love sabermetrics too. I think they’re really fascinating. I use them to evaluate players but they are not the be-all-end-all. I don’t think too many people take them as gospel. Don’t know any saber-inclined people who just, I don’t know, go down the list of players by WAR and that’s their MVP ballot. I know I’ve questioned the defensive metrics on RAB before, and therefore WAR. I know I’ve said I’m not much of a FIP fan at all (and therefore I don’t like Fangraphs’ pitcher WAR). But I think they’re really useful at helping us evaluate players. Certainly better than W/L and BA.

13. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

at least i get to see winter league and the pitching matchup is jamie moyer vs john halama.

14. first time lawng time says:

I think I’ve figured it all out.

Josh Z is Ron Dibble! Right?!

I just saw that thread…lol

15. first time lawng time says:

So let’s make a list of all the memes from this year:
    I have:
    1. Ron Dibble
    2. Taft = not a citizen
    3. Only the Yankees have issues
    4. posada sux lol whatevs
    5. pony tails
    6. Granderson is a switch hitter (lol what?!)
    7. Granderson looks like Jay-Z
    8. first pumps
    9. Cleveland does not exist
    10. DEEP AND THICK
    11. apathetic and violent

Did I forget anything?

Feel free to contribute!

16. mbonzo says:

Boof Bonser is a free agent again. The Yankees need more players with stupid names. Imagine the fun Sterling would have with Boof.

17. Carcillo says:

To all hockey fans – do you see the Lightning (7-3) as being legit this year after being pretty bad the past three seasons? I have no concerns about the offense (especially with Stamkos developing into a top-3 goal scorer in the league), but I could see problems in net manifesting itself, especially if they keep going back to Mike Smith (Lightning brass loves that guy).

I’m certainly not placing this team on an elite pedestal, mind you, but more or less wondering if the playoffs are a likely possibility.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I pegged them as a low playoff team entering the season, meaning a seventh or eighth seed. With their ridiculous offensive talent, they could definitely finish higher than that. Stamkos is insane.

18. candyforstalin says:

contract offer to cliff lee:

2011: 23m
    2012: 23m
    2013: 23m
    2014: 23m
    2015: 23m club option/8m buyout

19. mbonzo says:

“If prop 19 passes tonight, Tim Lincecum will have the best week ever.”
    -Some Reddit commenter

20. MikeD says:

Is there any reason to sign a player before November 23rd, since that’s the last day to offer a player arbitration? Wouldn’t a team want to wait to see if, for example, the Blue Jays were to offer Downs arbitration before signing him? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

• Almost nobody ever gets signed before the arb deadline; I doubt that changes this year.

That being said, the one reason you could feasibly justify signing a player before the deadline is if you’re 99% certain that the player will be a Type A, 99% certain that the player will be offered arb and 99% certain that the player will decline arb, meaning that the picks you forfeit by not waiting until after the deadline would have been the same picks you forfeit if you waited.

Like, say, Cliff Lee.

• MikeD says:

Thanks. I was trying to figure out if a team’s management was slow in offering their former player arbitration, would that allow another team to quickly sign that player, thus eliminating any chance of having to also surrender draft picks. If so, it’s too obvious of a flaw in the system, which means I’m misunderstanding it, or there are most likely rules preventing it.

21. first time lawng time says:

Fun game: If you could be any player on the Yankees roster, who would it be?

22. Kiersten says:

Nov. 7th: Free agents can now negotiate – and sign – with any team. The day Cliff Lee becomes a Yankee.

FTFY

23. bexarama says:

Oh also now that baseball is totally over for 2010: ANDY COME BACK DON’T LEAVE US. (sobs)

24. first time lawng time says:

Fact: I don’t care what anyone says, Apollo Ohno = ugly.

25. UWS says:

Just caught up on the clusterfuckMelky Mesa thread. Holy cow, there’s a lot of anger there. And since I know you all want to know, I do not wear my hair in a ponytail.

Question re: arbitration and draft picks. Something TSJC said upthread made me confuzzled. If you sign a FA BEFORE arbitration is offered, do you still lose the draft picks? ie, does the old team still offer arbitration even though it’s obviously a moot point by then? Am I being stupid?

26. first time lawng time says:

WOw Bristol Palin is crying on DWTS.

What a loser.

27. Nuke LaDoosh says:

If I were Cash…I would give Jeter a 4 year deal for guaranteed $50 million ($12.5 million per year straight lined) and for any year where he gets 200 hits he gets a $5 million bonus Plus for any year where he scores 100 runs he gets a $2.5 million bonus. Done!

28. Kiersten says:

So I know we usually have a strict no politics rule, but it is election day, so:

thank Mo Christine O’Donnell is not a U.S. Senator.

29. bonestock94 says:

Politics seem to be a never ending disaster.

30. FIPster Doofus says:

Heh. Guys named Canseco and Rodriguez are going against each other in the Texas gubernatorial race.

31. So who’s claiming Randy Moss?

I’ve got a feeling Dan Snyder has an intern calling Goodell’s office every five minutes to see if the waiver paperwork has gone through.

32. candyforstalin says:

i’m calling it: 50-50.

33. Carcillo says:

Watching Faux Fox News, and I see Sarah Palin on the set.

Now I remember why having Obamanation in place wasn’t the worst thing that could’ve happened from that Election.

• mbonzo says:

MSNBC is taking a crap on Rand Paul. Mind you that I’m a Democrat, and voted down the line Democrat this year, but I really don’t mind Paul winning. As a government major its nice to see someone win who actually believes in their own ideologies instead of picking the ones that get you votes. I may not agree with him, but I’m glad someone got elected that believes in the issues and not the system.

34. Joey - hughes#34 says:

I used to think that the Yanks would go with more money/less years with Jeter (something like 3/60), but after hearing Hal’s comments today I think they are gonna go the other way. Maybe something like 4/50 with a mutual option for the 5th.

• UWS says:

I’m sticking to my 2/30 offer, maybe with a mutual option. And yes I’m aware of the PR complications. I’m sort of hoping Yanks will not cave in to Jeter’ ridiculous demands despite that. Not very likely, of course.

4 years for Jeter at this point would be beyond terrible.

35. UWS says:

Hmm, Jhonny Peralta’ option was not picked up by DET.

Thoughts?

36. Reggie C. says:

THE RENT IS 2 DAMN HIGH!

37. Pat D says:

Actually, this misses many important dates. Specifically, the days when the postseason awards are announced, and the day the HOF voting is announced.

Tee hee.