Dec

28 teams offer Cliff Lee 7 years

I honestly hope you had something better to do than follow the Cliff Lee saga today. Because unless you favor the theater of the absurd, you likely got nowhere but frustrated. Here’s what happened, in essence.

• The Nats are “very much” in on Cliff Lee, to the point that they’d offer seven years.
  • Two hours later: oops, the Nats aren’t in on Lee.
  • A team not named the Nats has offered Lee seven years.
  • Wait, now there are two teams who have offered seven years. It’s a double mystery!
  • Right on cue, the Angels are mentioned as suitors. Not only that, they could trade a pitcher to make room for him.
  • Of course, amid all of these rumors, we hear that the two presumed suitors, the Yankees and the Rangers, not only won’t go to seven years, but also haven’t been allowed to make an offer. So random mystery teams can offer seven years when seven years is insane, but the Yankees can’t make their own offer.

It adds up to nothing but a mockery. Given the way this week has unfolded, there’s absolutely no reason to pay attention to anything said about Lee until he’s on the verge of signing a deal. It’s pretty clear that Lee’s agent, Darek Braunecker, is trying to play everyone. I don’t blame him. But he can’t blame me for tuning out.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. bexarama says:

I cannot stop laughing at this post. Mostly because it’s so true.

2. Kiersten says:

He’s not doing a very good job.

3. Daniel says:

you got to hand it to Braunecker, he has a lot of people fooled. Idk if he has the Yankees or Rangers fooled, but this is some Scott Boras shit.

4. Dirty Pena says:

I’m just waiting to hear what Lance Berkman has to say. Then I’ll form my opinion.

5. Plank says:

Tomorrow’s Headline:

Lee to Seattle 7/175.

BOOM!

The way I see it it’s between the Mariners, Pirates and ‘Spos.

6. Hughesus Christo says:

I’m not believing anything until incarcerated bob tweets it.

(he did break Pena to cubs an hour before heyman tonight)

7. JGS says:

+200 on the “Ludicrous Speed” tag

8. China Joe says:

I believe it’s more of a travishamockery. This kind of reporting is fun. Let’s all try:
    A Japanese team (presumably the Hiroshima Carp) are reportedly offering Lee 7 years, 1 billion yen and your mom is willing to go and your mom is willing to add an eighth year.

9. China Joe says:

I think I know where the two 7 year deals came from:
    1. Dodgers half-owner Frank McCourt offered Cliff Lee 7 years/ 160 million to do his wife.
    2. Then Jaime McCourt, the Dodgers other half-owner, turned around and offered Lee 7 years / 170 million to turn around and do her husband.
    And Cliff Lee was all like “You want me to do a guy?”
    /Beavis and Butthead’d

10. PatsWin says:

I know this sounds crazy but I could see a scenario where Lee’s agent overplays his hand and screws Lee out of a few million by trying to fool everyone. Although this is highly unlikely, its not impossible.

11. peteypabs says:

Lee just got an offer of 10/250 from Hanks Yanks

12. mbonzo says:

Though I know some people won’t believe him, one piece of good news to come out of this is that CC said he still won’t opt out of his contract even if Cliff Lee gets crazy money this offseason.

• JGS says:

Maybe he won’t use the optout per se, but if he doesn’t at least leverage it into a renegotiation of the end of his contract, then his agent isn’t doing his job.

• mbonzo says:

If CC is comfortable in NY and content with the massive amounts of money he is bringing in, his agent has done his job. A normal player would wanna go for the extra years, but CC is a laid back guy with the biggest pitching contract in baseball and second biggest overall to Arod.

• Plank says:

If he can renegotiate to get an extra year or a few million extra, why wouldn’t he?

If you had the chance to get a raise, would you pass it up?

• mbonzo says:

Not if I was being paid $24+ million a year and had to move my family to do it. I think CC could pull off getting 2 more years out of his contract, but maybe he doesn’t plan on playing that long.

• TLVP says:

I don’t think that CC’s been so outstanding in the last 2 years that he is worth more now than he was when the contract got signed. Maybe he’ll get a year or more two but I doubt he’d get more money per year. His WAR was 4.3 and 5.4 and with $23m pa that is $4.7m/WAR. That sounds about fair – if you aim for 100 wins that wound cost you $244m before any relief from players under control.

Lee has had 5.0 and 4.3 WAR but has a fantastic post season record that more than compensate for the small difference in WAR compared to CC.

Bottom line I don’t think that CC is likely to improve that much on $23m even if Lee gets a $150/6 but he might get the Yankees to extend by a year or two

• TLVP says:

A scary thought – A-Rod is so far $7.3m/WAR under his new contract and those are the three first years of a 10 year contract…

• seimiya says:

No reasonable person should expect a man of A-Rod’s age – regardless of his talents as a baseball player – to live up to a contract that massive. It was a dumb contract. That’s why we put Hank inna box.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

has a fantastic post season record

Don’t get me wrong, I think Lee is a terrific pitcher, but that fantastic post season record is, IMO, more a result of SSS than anything else.

Or did you forget his performance in this years WS?

13. First Time Poster says:

I think I read over twitter that The Rangers just offered Lee 15/400 MM to play nets… not sure what they are going to do with Lundqvist…

14. Juke Early says:

Lee’s agent is a nerd, the Yankees are the hot chick, and he’s all excited because he has her attention. Meanwhile somebody better have a sweet insurance policy & a “no hunting” clause ready for that hillbilly. He gets on the wrong side of a razorback hog or some other inbred with a high powered rifle, it won’t even be a 7 minute contract.

It’s not haterade genius, it’s the fountain of knowledge.

15. Jake H says:

Cliff Lee’s agent is going to drum up so much interest and make his client sign the day before spring training. By then every team will have offered a 15 year contract!

16. bob says:

You got it wrong – 7 teams are offering 28 years

17. Risto says:

I seriously hope the Yankees hold firm on their stance of not offering Lee seven years. Seven years for him is lunacy.

18. Mark B says:

I think Boston is the mystery team involved in the Lee negotiations. If they somehow can unload Dice-K, they have na awful lot of payroll coming off the books after next year and could comfortably take on Lee’s salary. Hope I am wrong…

• jsbrendog (returns) says:

dice-k = full ntc to all 30 teams

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Epstein says he’s not willing to trade Dice-BB. Reportedly he likes the depth.

• A.D. says:

Likely if they unload Dice-BB would mean that they’re swapping big contracts (i.e. Beltran) or probably eating some of it

• Mark B says:

If they were to acquire Beltran, this would give them enormous leverage after 2011 as they would have not only Beltran, but Ortiz, Papelbon and Drew coming off their books. This gives them the ability to sign Lee now. The question is whether they want to pay a huge luxury tax in 2011 and go the distance of 7 years to get it done.

Don’t think for a minute Theo has forgotten losing out on Texieria and how signing Lee would be a HUGE blow to the Yanks in 2011, especially if Pettitte retires.

19. Monteroisdinero says:

This would all be so much cheaper if we could just fix Joba’s mechanics, weight, and inability to throw a change or curve for a strike when behind in the count.

Ah-forget it. Give Lee 28 years.

20. Mike HC says:

I tend to think that Lee’s agent intent was to just throw so much stuff out there that teams don’t know what to believe, keeping everyone in the dark. It probably won’t get Lee that 7th year, but the perception seems to be trending now that 6 years seems likely, which is one more year than most people thought he would get. The Werth deal had a lot to do with that as well I guess.

Or I could be wrong and Lee’s agent is just an idiot.

21. OldYanksFan says:

All this BS probably means the Lee camp doesn’t believe anyone will give them 7 years, and 6 might be a stretch. Again, I hope the Yanks start the bidding at 5 years.

Considering the years, AAV and Lee’s age, I think every team is scared of going 6 years.