Dec

Cashman: Posada’s our DH

Via LoHud, Brian Cashman told reporters this afternoon that Jorge Posada was in fact slated to be the team’s regular designated hitter next season. “He’s our DH,” said Cashman. “That’s what he is, unless he plays himself off it.” Harsh, but it’s what’s best for the team. Looks like Jesus Montero is going to get a chance to sink or swing next season.

Categories : Asides

1. mbonzo says:

Good, I couldn’t imagine having Montero/Posada as our catching rotation. Teams would run all over us.

• pat says:

Cervelli was objectively terrible behind the plate last year.

• mbonzo says:

Which is why they are looking in to Russel Martin. I still have hope for Cervelli, he was very good behind the plate in 2009 and in the minors. 2010 was his first year catching more than 42 games since 2007 so I wouldn’t expect his numbers to be great, but he looked pitiful. He should rebound.

• MikeD says:

Why would Martin sign with the Yankees? I doubt he wants to be a back-up, so his only hope to play would be Montero’s failure. I think the Red Sox have a more attractive situation to offer since I don’t believe for second they’re committed to Salty.

• mbonzo says:

I agree, but their interest shows that the Yankees want a better fielding catcher than Posada or Montero.

• The Three Amigos says:

Most money? Injured and wants to catch less for one year to fully heal and try to rebound? Work with Kevin Long to try and regain his former bat? Montero may not even start in the majors and with Posada DHing, cervilli would go to AAA. More then enough catching for Martin, plus he would most likely be a late game defensive replacement for Montero too.

• Tamagura says:

I agree. They need to give Cervelli a chance. He was really great in 2009. Many Yankees slumped in 2010. I think Cervelli has a great future as a catcher. He Has a lot of heart. Also, I think he is a ‘real’ man because he does ‘not’ wear & ‘fuss over’ batting gloves.

• He was also AJs personal catcher, who gives you no chance to throw anyone out. He threw out 43% in 09, so I suspect that AJ had a lot to do with it.

• Zack says:

FWIW: If you take away Cervelli’s starts with AJ, he was still only at 22.5% this year.
          (He was 24 SB : 2 CS with AJ; 31 SB: 7 CS with other SP)

• Chris says:

Whether it was AJ or just a bad year, Cervelli’s minor and major league history suggest that he’s pretty good at throwing runners out. Hopefully he bounces back.

2. Letting Montero start next season almost makes up for Joba staying a reliver

Almost cash almost

3. Mickey Scheister says:

Have him catch Pettitte, for old times sake!

4. “..unless he plays himself off it”

That could be taken two ways. That if he somehow has a tremendous ST behind the plate, he could earn himself some time behind the plate.

The other way to take is he’s our DH, unless he sucks at DHing, and then he rides the bench. I suspect this is what Brian was thinking.

5. Jerome S says:

over/under: .265/.375/.490

6. Gonzo says:

I wonder how a Martin signing would change things. Montero starts in the minors? Cervelli traded?

• radnom says:

Montero still gets an opportunity to win the job out of spring training, but if he doesn’t get it he spends a few months in AAA then comes up late May/early June. Cervelli is stored in the minors until needed.

I think this is actually a bigger signing for the Yankees than most people realize. Both having him on the roster with Montero and being able to fill in the first month or so as a starter would be enormous.

7. Andy says:

Do we really want Posada DHing? Are there no better options out there? I know we don’t want him catching, but that doesn’t mean that we necessarily want him DHing.

8. Squishy Jello Person says:

Yep, still loving that bat

9. Crosetti32 says:

Yanks need a new GM…when Cashman talks to the press about Yankee players, I get the impression it’s his form of payback for not getting picked for the teams in school.

10. Accent Shallow says:

I’d really rather see Montero start in AAA, and have him play his way onto the squad.

11. bexarama says:

I honestly thought the “unless he plays himself off it” comment was really unnecessary (unless Cashman meant that in a good way).

12. billy's bartender says:

makes sense to have Montero start the season in NY. He is going to struggle the first time thru the league, so lets let him struggle in april and may. i’ve heard the ball off his bat- he will catch up to big league pitching

13. Jonathan says:

I think a lot of people are forgetting another part of Martin’s game. He can handle 3B and in a limited (extremely) sample size UZR likes his defense there. I think having him be able to play most of the backup innings at 3B while catching a bulk too makes him extremely valuable to us. Obviously, on the infield, Arod is the guy that needs the strong majority of time off his position and replacing Pena or Nunez’s bulk innings with Martin could be very valuable.

14. Monteroisdinero says:

If we don’t get Lee, spend the money on Crawford, DH Swish and Posada catches 30-40 games and is our bench super-sub in every other game. We lose a bit on our $13M investment-too bad. One less slow and bad baserunner in our offense for EVERY game. If Montero is not ready for some reason, Jorge plays more if he can stay healthy which is increasingly questionable. Hopefully Sado won’t teach Jesus his technique for blocking home plate.

15. B-Rando says:

I hope Montero gets the job out of spring training. I don’t think anyone expects him to come and just start raking (which would be a pleasant surprise), but let’s let him get through his growing pains while the season is young so by mid-season, he’s had a chance to work some of those rookie issues out.