Dec

Open Thread: Ramiro Mendoza

(AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

Ah good old Ramiro Mendoza. I’ll admit it, I didn’t really appreciate his work until he was gone and the Yankees’ middle relief when to crap. Ramiro made 277 appearances for the Yanks from 1996 through 2002, including 57 starts, pitching to a 4.08 ERA with 5.3 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 (taking out intentional walks), making up for the lack of strikeouts by getting grounders with his sinker. He’d give the team one batter, one inning, two innings, or five innings without a problem, the original version of Al Aceves. Knee and shoulder injuries derailed Mendoza’s career after he defected to the Red Sox as a free agent in 2003, though he did make one appearance with the Yankees in 2005, his farewell voyage as a big leaguer. They just don’t make relief help like they used to.

Anywho, here is tonight’s open thread. The Devils, Rangers, and Knicks are all in action, so there should be enough going on to keep you occupied. Talk about whatever your heart desires.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Any serious runners out there?

How do I go about picking a good pair of running shoes? My budget is around a hundred bucks right now.

• The best option is to go to a running specialty store, and they’ll do tests like the “Wet Foot Test” to determine your foot type and what shoe would be best for you. Then they will being out a bunch of different shoes and ask you to jog around the store a bit to see if you like firmer shoes or shoes with more cushion, etc

If you have a neutral to mild-overpronated arch, you are pretty much in business to get whatever shoe you want because those are the most common foot types.

You should be able to find a great shoe for $60-$90 rather easily.

I personally like Nike shoes like the Nike Zoom Structure Triax series.

• Newbie says:

Go to a true runner’s store, not modells or something. There will be someone who knows what they’re doing that will fit you with the right shoe. The shoes are different for everyone; what is great for one may be horrible for another.

And a $100 budget is perfect.

• Bryan L says:

I ran high school Cross Country for four years. In my opinion, New Balance and Saucony are your best bets. Make sure you try them on and they fit perfectly before you buy.

• Ariel says:

Read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and then get a minimalist shoe, something likes Vibram Five Fingers or a Nike Free

2. Kiersten says:

Well, that’s what you get.

3. Question for Joe/Stat junkies:

I was looking through Fangraphs, like ten minutes ago, going through all the remaining lefty relievers, and saw the Win Probability stat… What is the difference between WPA, -WPA, and +WPA? The latter two seem pointless to me.

• YankeesJunkie says:

WPA= Win Probability Added which is WPA+-WPA-
      WPA+= Total win probability added per batter
      WPA-= Total win probability loss per batter

• JGS says:

-WPA and +WPA is just the WPA stat broken down into its component parts. They all sum together to give you the final WPA.

4. The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Siceks top 20 Yankees list came out today…

• radnom says:

Really high on Noesi, interesting.

• Plank says:

Nice. I’ve been waiting for this. I guess he doesn’t believe in the 3 B’s. Maybe we should trade Noesi in order to keep the nickname.

I don’t understand why everyone is always so high on Heathcott. I just don’t see it.

• Sleepykarl says:

He’s been playing through some injuries and has mega tools. He did show some holes in his first major league season, but showed good walk rate and shown signs of being Gardner with some power.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He seems to like the Killer Bs. He says Banuelos might be a B+ (for a guy who hasn’t pitched more than 50 innings in AA that’s a good thing), likes Betances a lot, and is fairly bullish on Brackman. With Brackman you have to keep in mind that he’s 25 and doesn’t have a real track record of success anywhere. Sure he had a great year this year, but he didn’t have a very successful college career and sucked last year. I like him a lot, but it’s easy to understand why the evaluators aren’t as high on him.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Yup. In Sickel’s system he doesn’t rank a lot of people as A’s so being a B is very good. And at this point last year he lef tout Betances from his list and called Brackman a future reliever. They went from nobodies to B level prospects. When (if) they show some consistency in health those two will be top 10 pitching prospects. Banuelos just needs to prove his velocity spike to see if he can be a legit ace or a good number 2.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It also sounds like Banuelos will get bumped to a B+ and Brackman will get bumped to a straight B. Mark Newman seems to hate Slade Heathcott though, which makes me sad.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah I don’t see how ‘playing hard’ is necessarily a bad thing. Even if he hasn’t blown anyone away he’s still a good prospect. If he improves on contact then a line of .280/.380/.400 is very impressive along with his speed and defense.

And thats only adding 20 points to his average. He’s put up the same exact line as Fuentes but I don’t see much scouts disagreeing that he’s a good prospect.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s pretty raw, and at least he has power projection. I didn’t dislike the pick at the time, and I still don’t hate it. Although I’d be happy if he remembered that he doesn’t need to strike out 30% of the time and it’s okay to hit for power.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

I love the tools. He has great range in CF with a strong arm. Good plate discipline too with a 12% walk rate. That sounds eeriely similar to GGBG who has shown to be quite valuable. And that’s not quite close to his ceiling either.

I’m not concerned about the power. I think he can get moderate power but with someone with that skill set power isn’t a must. He just has to show more contact skills but all in all he’s a good prospect. Similar to Raymund Fuentes who was a big piece in the AGon deal.

5. BillR says:

Mendoza wanted to be a Yankee so bad in ’03 he was willing to take much less money to stay with the yankees.

6. It'sATarp says:

I don;t get the Zambrano rumors…if we thought Grienke might be a head case…what makes Zambrano better? if we;re going to trade for a starter i’d rather they reach for the best. We have depth and two picks (one first round…one possible first round thanks to javy) this year so we can restock. Getting a guy like Zambrano is annoying since, he’s a jackass, He cost a lot of money, declining ground ball rates, walks a lot of people and has never pitched in the AL.

• radnom says:

what makes Zambrano better?

He (basically) only costs money and not Montero. I could go further, but that should be enough.

For the record, I hope a better option than Zambrano comes up.

• Peter Lacock says:

I’m in favor of trading for Zambrano as long as the trade is expanded to include Starlin Castro. Start with Swish or Gardy and ENunez, add Nova or Noesi and go from there. No Montero, B’s or Phelps-Warren-Stoneburner. Maybe get a LOOGY like James Russell or Scott Maine from them too.
      The OF opening can be filled by Jeter.

7. Slappy White says:

Do you guys think exploring a trade for Fausto Carmona makes any sense ? MLBTR sats he may be available .

8. bexarama says:

I said it in the Pettitte thread but today MLBTR Tweeted “Yankees announce Pettitte deal.” Turns out they meant Prior, not Pettitte, and corrected it. :/

Picture me letting out this shriek of utter joy and then my face just… falling. Sobsob

9. Would anybody here like the idea of Gio Gonzalez? He seems like a good fit for the staff and would likely be on the move anyway considering 2011 is his last pre-arb season.

• Granderslam says:

Assuming Pettitte returns, I would love him in the 5 hole. But is he available?

• Too many walks, but I’d take a flier on him for sure.

• JGS says:

arb eligible =/= free agent

The guys you dump when they hit arbitration are the ones who only had major league jobs in the first place because they were dirt cheap (Melky, Cervelli). When they cease to become dirt cheap, they are non-tendered.

Gonzalez is way above that level. He put up a 3.23 ERA in 200 innings as a 24 year old. Sure there is a big home/road split there but he’ll still be playing in Oakland next year, and he’s the kind of guy you hold on to through arbitration.

He’s not available for any price that would be worth paying.

10. Esteban says:

Knicks off to a nice start.

11. Dan says:

I posted this is the off topic thread but whatdya think of this 3 way nba trade:
    Heat get: billups and nene
    Heat send: bosh

Nuggets get: chandler, galo, fields, currys expiring contract, a first round pick from knicks and second rond pick from heat
    Nuggets send: billups, nene, anthony

Knicks get: bosh, carmello, back of the rotation guy from nuggets
    Knicks send: chandler, galo, fields, currys expiring contract, a first round pick

Not sure if the teams would do it but what do you think?

12. Plank says:

I’ll always remember him for his biggest achievement: being the worst member of Boston’s “Closer By Committee(tm)”

13. Dan says:

Thanks i thought it was kinda good. I actually saw someone over at the bleacher report propose something similar without the knicks but i through the knicks in because it doesnt make any sense for the nuggets to want bosh

14. JohnathanCold says:

Trade for Carpenter
    Beg Andy to return for one more run at it

Crisis averted

• Avi says:

I don’t get this Carpenter thing. Why would St Louis ever trade their best pitcher ( or 1A with Wainwirght)? If the $15M they owe him for 2011 was so burdensome would they sign Lance Berkman for $8M? It’s probably more likely that Felix gets traded than Carpenter.

15. Granderslam says:

I have a question. Assuming the White Sox match up with the Yankees in a trade scenario, who would be the best pitcher to consider for our rotation (with or w/o Pettitte): Buehrle, Peavy, or Floyd?

• JohnathanCold says:

Probably Buehrle

• YankeesJunkie says:

Danks or Floyd, Buehrle is too expensive since option vests if he is traded and that is another 15 million in 2012.

• Buehrle has a weird clause in his contract that says if he gets traded, his salary will rise a certain amount. He also heavily relies on the fielding behind him as he is a ground ball pitcher who can’t strike anyone out.

Peavy has been injured for quite a while it seems. I’d rather pass, although I would have loved him 2 years ago.

I’m impartial on Floyd, I don’t know whether I like him or not, but he is certainly an upgrade over basically half the rotation, so I’d think about it.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Floyd by far. He had a 3.48 FIP last year. With the Yanks defense he should be closer to getting that then the horrendous Sox defense.

Strikes out a mdoerate amount of guys being at around 7.6 but walks little at around 2.7 BB/9.

• ZZ says:

In regard to Buerhle I see it twice here and I have seen it a bunch of times when his name has come up, but people are misinterpreting his no trade clause.

* 2008: full no-trade clause
      * 2009 – July 15, 2010: limited no-trade protection allowing Buehrle to block trades to certain unspecified clubs. A trade triggers an escalator paying $1M raise to $15M annually, plus a guaranteed fifth year paying $15M for 2012.
      * July 16, 2010-2011: Buehrle may not be traded without his permission, under right as 10-and-5 player

That raise plus option becoming vested clause ended on July 15th 2010.

16. Accent Shallow says:

Just for the record: Nik Turley pitched 72 1/3 innings this year.

He gave up no HRs. For his career, he’s over 130 IP.

One bomb.

17. Avi says:

Some good farm stuff today: John Sickels of Minorleagueball.com ranked the Yanks top 21 prospects. He says “The pitching is quite rich; I count eight guys with the ability to hold rotation spots at the major league level, including a couple of potential anchors, and there are more arms behind them.” Truly amzing depth.
    I want to see the Yanks get creative and use some of that depth (I’m talking the middle guys like Nova, Noesi, Warren, Phelps, Laird Stoneburner etc) to improve the team via trade.

Also Baseball America came out with their top 10 prospects for the Braves and Arodys ranked 7th. Check out this Q&A with Bill Ballew of Baseball America, the guy that put together the top 10.
    RJ (New Orleans): Since the Braves farm near the top amongst teams, how high would Arodys Vizcaino rank on most other organizational lists, say the Tigers for example.

Bill Ballew: He’d be higher in many organizations, obviously. He would have been higher on the Braves’ list if not for some concerns about his injuries over the past two years. He has a chance to be a special pitcher, especially given the improvements he made while at Rome last spring, and should become that type of hurler, provided he avoids the injury bug.

18. T.J. says:

I’m in for a Zambrano trade as long as it doesn’t involve any major projects.

I’m thinking Berkman-level prospects.

• Granderslam says:

I’m eh on Zambrano. I feel like the Yankees won’t take a chance on Greinke because of his supposed “mental capability”, yet they would on someone who is just downright crazy. I mean, I totally understand the fascination- he fits our needs, his talent level, and his relationship with Rothschild- I’m just not into the idea myself. I feel like there has to be other options out there.

• radnom says:

The Yankees won’t take a chance on Greinke because of his astronomical cost.

The situations are not really comparable.

I agree though that there are possibly better options out there – I wouldn’t terribly mind Zambrano though.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

If he’s booed like Vazquez the dude is probably going to kill someone. I’d rather him being plan Z. Unless the Yanks only have to pay him beans if the Cubs are that desperate to move him.

19. JM says:

Let’s say the Yankees took half of Zambrano’s salary. What would it take to land him? I’m terrible at matching prospects and stuff non-Montero league so I can’t really gauge what Zambrano would be worth or what a package of prospects would be worth. What would a Romine+Killer-B+other mid-level prospects acquire?

• JM says:

Two part question btw

• Romine, Killer B, and a mid-level prospect is too much for a rental, especially if the Yankees are eating most of the contract.

I think that package could land a guy like Nolasco, or someone has the stuff, but not necessarily the numbers to go with it.

• Avi says:

I like Z better than Nalasco. If the Yanks trade for Zambrano, I’m pretty positive it’ll only be with Chicago picking up part of his contract and that a “B” won’t be included. Nova, Laird, Nunez, Heathcott are the type of prospect you’ll see go to Chicago.

• JM says:

I just have absolutely no idea what teams look for in prospects from other teams. It’s really not as straight forward as dollars in Free Agency.

• It'sATarp says:

i think it might land Flyod. maybe even Grinke if we throw in a gardner or joba. Everyone assume when you trade for top pitcher you have to give up your best prospect but thats not the case. Halladay trade: Sure Jays got Drabek BUT phillies manage to keep Dominic Brown.
          CC trade: nothing to see here …move along
          Santana trade: see above.
          Dan Haren: joe saunders LOL

so yea it’s not guaranteed that when we trade for a top pitcher we’d have to part with montero. Plus the royals have a power hitting ctacher who might move to the OF or end up as a DH.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

I’d do it for Floyd. He’s on a team friendly contract with good peripherals. Plus he’s only entering his prime. If the Yanks get him and Pettitte they are in very good shape.

• You don’t get Greinke without giving up Montero.

• Would you give up Greinke without getting Montero back? I don’t think you would. I know we like to joke that Dayton Moore is an idiot, but the chances he takes a package that doesn’t include Montero are likely incredibly small. The Royals have said they want up the middle talent in the trade; the only one who fits that bill is Montero. Quality always rules over quantity, and the quality doesn’t get much higher than Montero these days.

• It'sATarp says:

your undervaluing our pitching talent and the fact that Royals do not need an offensive catcher. If they trade greinke they’d value a pitching prospect in return more than a player who has no role in their organizations since his role is filled (DH,Of,C?). What are they going to do with montero? trade him? i could see them taking pitchers + romine more since they want pitching and romine has more defensive tools than myers and more liekly to stay at catcher than Montero or Myers. royals can get Quantity and Quality from the yankees and it doesn’t have to be montero.

• Avi says:

Wow. Very well said.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Thee Royals Big Four is probably better than every B other than Banuelos.

• If they trade greinke they’d value a pitching prospect in return more than a player who has no role in their organizations since his role is filled (DH,Of,C?).

Sure, but at the same time, the Royals have a good amount of LHP prospects themselves. They can internally replace Greinke more easily than we think. We also may be overvaluing our pitching talent since some of it is still a little ways away from MLB-ready.

What are they going to do with montero?

I assume the same thing the Yankees will do: let him fail at catcher before doing anything else with him since it makes his bat that much more valuable. But, like you said, they could also flip him and get more prospects in return.

Romine’s also farther away and has probably taken a bit of a hit (whether completely deserved or not) in terms of status after 2010.

I think the only possible way that a deal for Greinke gets done without Montero is if multiple Killer-B’s are attached as well as Major Leaguers, like Gardner or Joba, and (right or wrong) I don’t think the Yankees would do that.

Sidebar: Because of the way the team/organization is constructed, I think the Yankees would rather give quality (Montero and few others) rather than quantity (no Montero but many others) to keep depth (even if those pieces are still a little way away).

• radnom says:

All those examples were for players with one season (or less in most cases) left in their contracts. Greinke might not be the most comparable situation.

• It'sATarp says:

Off course…but like many people said patience…we cna go into the season and try to land grienke mid season for less if hes not traded by then. But from recent transactions, it seems that it’s not always necessary to trade a team top prospect if they want a ace.

• radnom says:

I’m not disagreeing that people are drastically overvaluing Grienke’s trade value but the Royals have no incentive to trade him midseason (unlike any of those teams you previously mentioned).
                Grienke has a higher trade value than any of those pitchers you listed.

• try to land grienke mid season for less if hes not traded by then.

But isn’t it more likely that the price for ZG will be higher mid-season since there could be more suitors/a more desperate situation, thus giving the Royals much more leverage?

• It'sATarp says:

good point…but i’ll honestly say it’s hard to gauge the trade market since we’ve seen some weird mid season trades when the value give and the return just doesn’t make sense.

• T.J. says:

That’s too much IMO.

Like I said, I’m only dealing for Zambrano if he’s coming incredibly cheap probably something similar to what we gave up for Berkman.

20. Esteban says:

STAT and Felton. Two best FA signings in Knicks history.

21. Avi says:

I’d drive Burnett to Chicago if the Cubs take him for Zambrano.

• Accent Shallow says:

Zambrano’s a hell of a pitcher, but he’s a crazy person, and has a 1.8 K/BB ratio over the past three years, and that’s with getting to face the pitcher. I’d project him better than Burnett, but who the hell knows.

• Big Juan says:

Meh. I’d honestly rather have Burnett. Based on literally nothing except a personal dislike for Big Z.

22. nsalem says:

Anybody watching Pirates Yankees on MLB?

• Stratman9652@aol.com says:

Yeah, kind of a trip seeing the way they did it back then. Look at the batters stances and the pitchers deliveries compared todays players. Amazing the way thing have progressed.

And did he just go to the pen in the second inning or did they skip way ahead?

• Accent Shallow says:

Here is the box score. Yes, the Yankees went to the pen in the 2nd.

Look at who got the win, too.

• TopChuckie says:

The game is uncut.

Yanks had relievers up while they were batting in the Top of the 1st. Weird.

According to baseball-reference.com, the Yanks’s #3 thru #5 starters all had at least one save, was I believe wasn’t tracked back then. Whitey had 4 relief appearances, the fewest of any starter. Bobby Shantz was their “closer” with 11 saves and was one of the relievers warming up in the Top of the 1st and the announcer said Casey had considered starting him.

23. JM says:

Would ANY pitcher be unavailable for the top 10 Yankees prospects? This is hypothetical, of course.

24. Jimmy McNulty says:

Why the hell do people want Nolasco? He’s a horrible fit for the division and the park. High flyball rightie in The Stadium? That’s a horrible fit.

• Lots of strikeouts, few walks. That always works regardless of division.

• Accent Shallow says:

I’m skeptical in re: Nolasco. I worry that he’s Javy Vazquez part II. (Not the NYY edition, but in general — someone with great peripherals who’s merely an average-to-above-average pitcher)

• It'sATarp says:

nolasco’s stat line reads better than hughe’s at this point.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Except RA.

• It'sATarp says:

true but i like his walk rates and strike out rates…i not sure why is ERA is as sky high as it is since it looks like in term of things he’s in control of…well he’s doing pretty well.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Why his ERA is always sky high? He allows too many fucking home runs and can’t pitch with men on base. Yeah, he’s in control of the stuff he has direct control over…except flyballs, and more particularly home runs. Every stat dork out there has said that there’s likely a ‘pitching with men on base’ skill or lack there of that FIP doesn’t detect that explains the long term FIP/RA differences.

• Accent Shallow says:

OK? Nolasco is also 4 years older.

Look, the K/BB ratio is gorgeous, the HR rate is bad to hideous, but the FIP and xFIP are attractive (no surprise on the xFIP, since that’s basically just K/BB ratio).

He’s also underperformed those nice peripherals for awhile now.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Javier Vazquez 2004? Don’t get me wrong I think he’ll be a bit better than that, but he allows way too many fly balls. Especially as a righty in the Stadium? No thanks. Going from a big park where he’s underperformed his peripherals two years running in the NL to a big park and the toughest division in sports. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

25. The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Pettitte is likely to return accoridng to Heyman. If they get him the rotation is probably slightly better than 2010. Though with upgraded lineups in the Beast I want Floyd or perhaps Nolasco. If they do that they’re pretty much set.

• Mattchu12 says:

Yeah, I don’t see why it wouldn’t have a pretty good chance of being better.

CC will be CC.
      Andy will be Andy.
      Hughes will probably improve (not predicting Cy Young improvement, more like 3.50ish ERA improvement).
      AJ will probably improve to a 4.30-4.60ish ERA territory.
      Whoever the fifth starter is will be better than Javy.

26. Xstar7 says:

The Knicks might just win tonight

27. Avi says:

White Sox signed Jesse Crain. 3 years.

28. Avi says:

Rays signed Bobby Jenks. Dam, good pick up for them.

• Mattchu12 says:

Good for them. I kind of feel bad for their two fans to see them crippled like this. Then again, if Desmond Jennings explodes and replaces Crawford’s production, BJ Upton starts to show some improvement, sign Manny Ramirez as their DH, and Jenks regains his form, they might surprise some folks?

29. Mattchu12 says:

So, preferred off-season plan?

1) Sign Andy Pettitte.
    2) Sign the Hairston Bros.
    3) Sign Brian Fuentes. (I do not want Pedro Feliciano.)
    4) Hold a hardline on a Montero-less package for Zack Greinke, if the Royals don’t budge (they won’t), let Nova be the fifth starter.

30. I’m just disappointed Mike didn’t work in Mendoza’s super-cool nickname somewhere into the post.

31. JeffG says:

“Pettitte thought likely to return because family supports it. but friend says andy, upset over low ’09 base, wont accept a “lowball” offer” …who the hell is this friend? Hilarious!

32. Take the 24 mil we didn’t spend on Lee and:

12 mil for Andy
    5 mil Fuentes
    5 mil for Wood
    1 mil a piece for the Hairston Brothers.

33. Esteban says:

Pierce pushed off!

• China Joe says:

tough loss, but every team on the rise has nights like this. The Knicks showed America tonight that they’re for real.

• Esteban says:

Yea, I’m not too upset. It sucks because they had the chance to win and were leading for so long, but at the same time, this game shows that they’re legit.

34. candyforstalin says:

i like jenks. no way fuentes and wood take 1-year contracts, at this point.

35. mbonzo says:

I always thought Wang would be a good reliever with that sinker. If he looks good Yankees should take a chance on him or Webb, if one of them makes the team, even as a reliever they will be well worth the money.

36. yankees1717 says:

so i saw a tweet saying the yanks were discussing felix, (i know, i know, it won’t happen) but i did some mild research and found a seattle post about it. one commenter said that if we started with hughes, cano, montero, and valdez (i have no idea who that is) and threw in swisher and took back bradley, the mariners might consider. holy crap, i mean i love felix as much as the next guy, but that’s just crazy.

37. http://seattletimes.nwsource.c.....ake_2.html

OK, apparently this Yankee-King Felix stuff started out harmlessly enough with this guys blog post, and now everyone from Ken Rosenthal to Jack Zduriencik has commented on it. He makes clear in the piece that he was just speculating.

38. ADam says:

The guy had such a small head… but loved his ground ball efficinecy

39. Nom Chompsky says:

After thinking a lot about it, getting Cliff Lee really didn’t matter all that much.

People thinking that Cliff Lee immediately makes the Phillies some sort of juggernaut are seriously overestimating the impact that any particular player can have.

Think about it this way: Forget 110, he only makes them an 100-win team if they were a 96 win team before. Which they MIGHT have been, but I’m skeptical. He’s not Pedro in his prime, he’s a pitcher whose been very good for 3 years.

Or, put another way: the Yankees added a 6+ war pitcher last year too. It didn’t magically turn them into an 110 win team.

I’d hammer the Philles under 98 wins.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Agreed. Lee is a great addition to an already loaded pitching staff, but Philly’s offense will take a step backward with Werth’s departure. Along with Utley, he was one of their two best offensive players.

• radnom says:

If you’re talking about Vasquez lol. Lee will probably have sliiiightly better season.

You miss the point anyway. The difference between 98 and 110 wins is meaningless. Both get you into the playoffs. Some very Yankee teams with very mediocrerotations in the late 00′s were able to win 100+. Thats not what it was about. Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels will be very tough in the playoffs. The Philies are the CLEAR National League favorites. Unfortunately the division series is a bit of a crap shoot no matter how good you are.

40. James A says:

Best fit at the years, dollars theyre likely going to get: Jenks, Wood, or Soriano?

41. China Joe says:

Not a great week for New York sports so far: Lee rejects us and Pierce dances like a goddamn clown on the court of MSG. Here’s hoping the Knicks take it out on Lebron and the G-Men remind Eagles’ fans that Philly is still a loser town.

42. Jimmy says:

RIP Bob Feller. One of the legends from the 40′s & 50′s.

43. Jimmy McNulty says:

Fanhouse’s scout guy says that he thinks Montero can play catcher.

44. Avi says:

Kerry Wood is close to signing with the Cubs according to this report.

• candyforstalin says:

now someone sign fuentes, please.

• Avi says:

They have to have something up their sleeve here. There’s reports they’re going after Jenks. Not that Jenks is better but he’ll probably be more cost effective. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re making a play for Soriano either.