Dec

Open Thread: Snowpocalyse 2010 (cont’d)

Tourists. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

It’s still a snowy mess here in New York, but at least most of the streets are plowed to come degree. It’s amazing how bad weather can bring civilization to such a standstill; I couldn’t even get chinese food delivered last night, two days after the storm. What the hell? Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The Vikings are at the Eagles (NBC), and the Knicks are in Miami to get their asses whopped by the Heat again. You guys know what to do, so have at it.

Weekend Writer Update: You’ll be happy to know that we’ve finally gotten around to selecting five finalists for the two weekend writer positions, so with any luck we should have the search wrapped up by the end of the week. We’ll probably hold off on sending out emails letting everyone know the deal until Monday since I suspect quite a few of the applicants are away on vacation and what not.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Squishy Jello Person says:

Booker for president

2. ultimate913 says:

the Knicks are in Miami to get their asses whopped by the Heat again.

Not cool, Mike. Not. Cool.

3. mustang says:

The snowstorm causes me to lose cable service and I missed the Giants games from the second quarter on and that’s the best sport news I had all month.

Still in the 5th level of sport hell!

• mustang says:

The cable came back in time for this “the Knicks are in Miami to get their asses whopped by the Heat again.”

It just doesn’t end.

4. KofH says:

In Alabama 2″ of snow shuts us down for three days–you guys are still ahead of us!

• Kiersten says:

In Floribama we’d probably shut down if we had 3 snow flurries.

• Mickey Scheister says:

Yeah, I lived in the Redneck Rivera (Ft Walton, Navarre, Pensacola, FL) for a while and if they THINK it’s gonna get icy or flurry, they wave the white flag! I’m in Atlanta now and it’s pretty icy here, so bad the wife ran into the babysitters car while parked in our driveway, awful. I’m just glad not to be farther north, these pics from NY & PA look as awful as Vick tonight!

• YankeesJunkie says:

I am remember when I was three living in Montgomery and snowed half a foot. Ridiculous!

• whozat says:

My sister just drove from eastern LI back to Jersey today. Normally takes her 2.5 hours, 3.5 if there’s traffic…She left here at 9 AM and got there around 5 PM. She had to park three blocks away from home, and her husband had to carry their 70lb dog to their house over his shoulders.

• Brian in NH says:

In New Hampshire a lot of things closed during the actual storm because it was a blizzard afterall. no sense in doing things when you can’t see or drive. But everything was back to normal by night time on Monday.

18 inches of snow? thats nothing

course…i have yet to attempt to survive an upstate NY winter in the Buffalo or Rochester/Syracuse area

5. With HOF season around the corner, I’d like to discuss a particular player and his Hall candidacy. Is Todd Helton a Hall of Famer? I think so. He’s never had an OBP less than .362 save for his rookie season. He has a triple slash crown under his belt.

6. icebird753 says:

I hope I got in (never sent an email lmao)

7. max says:

MLBTR says ‘Soria Wouldn’t Block Trade to Yankees’ and talking about how the Yanks offered Montero for him last July.

Does anyone think the Yanks would make a trade like that today??

8. bexarama says:

whoah Oney Guillen on Bobby Jenks.

hahah memo to bobby jenks get a clue u drink to much and u have had marital problems hugeee ones and the sox stood behind u

they did not air out ur dirty laundry, u came to srping not drinking and then u sucked and started srinking again be a man

u cried in the managers office bc u have problems now u go and talk bad about the sox after they protected u for 7 years ungrateful

if it wasnt for u and mainly u freddy garcia would have like 17 wins and the sox would have beat the twins

and u self diagnosed urself bc u didnt want to pitch un real i hope the sox let this guiy fucking have it

oh and yes i remember clearly u blowing a hugee game in 09 and u laughing ur bearded ass off while everyone busting there tail

dont make me air out more then i have 2 say ur sorry dont disrespect the White sox ever

i thought u were a man not some punk who runs away and talks bullshit. u coward. say it to there face when u were with them

although it wouldnt surprise me if the sox take the high road and be classy instead of destroying this yellow beard dipping idiot

and to think u were actually a cool guy and ur word meant something, to bad u dont hit in the AL so they can drill that ass

one little story remember when u couldnt handle ur drinking and u hit a poor arizona clubby in the face i do.

last tweet i hope sox fans boo his ass since he is no longer with ur team

POPCORN.GIF

9. True or false: Jesus Montero will be the first primary DH to be elected to the Hall of Fame.

10. Attn: Mike:

I was being very sarcastic about Bruce Chen earlier.

11. I’ve seen this Hyundai “Jingle Bells” ad more in the last two days than I did the entire holiday season combined.

12. Steve H says:

Helton has a career .873 OPS on the road. As a 1B, that’s just not HOF material. I know that guys usually hit better at home, but that, along with a relatively short career, he’s not in for me. Helton to me falls in the Will Clark, Don Mattingly, John Olerud, Keith Hernandez field of “just not enough”.

13. Slappy White says:

I dont give a rats ass about the Hall of Fame

/Clemens’d

14. Totes McGotes says:

Big East basketball tips off tonight!

/GoPCFriars’d

15. Dick Whitman says:

Couldn’t get Chinese delivered? I got Motorino to deliver the night of the storm no questions asked and they were pretty quick about it, too.

16. pat says:

Three more points from Vick and I win my work league. About 150 more from Vick, McCoy and Maclin and I win my big money league. Belated Christmas miracle plz. I even helped a lady carry her stroller across River Ave today.

17. Jerome S. says:

Is there a mystery team for the weekend writer?

18. John V says:

I think we should hand the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation to Nova and Phelps! Nothing you find out there now will be as good, plus both are better the Javy Vas!

19. mustang says:

The NY Knicks showing signs of life!

20. mike c says:

3 point game

21. Plank says:

From the commenting guidelines:

personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. Any comments that we deem libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing or threatening will not be tolerated, and we may ban repeat offenders from contributing to the site.

From an article yesterday:

This isn’t the first time this kind of vitriol comes out. Every time someone posts something against the commonly held beliefs of some readers, they get attacked and called names.

Granted being called dense isn’t the worst name in the book, but it’s certainly a personal attack and an insult.

• What you said above doesn’t involve me, but I’ll address something else you said:

because he doesn’t play great defense. I don’t understand the reason for the exception in this case.

The exception is because there aren’t enough PAs to go around for Manny to make up for his awful defense by hitting his way out of it. Granted, he would be playing the field less and that would diminish some of his negative impact.

As for Steve saying Hairston and Jones are better players, no one’s doing that. They’re saying (as am I) that Hairston and Jones are better suited for a 4th OF position than Ramirez is.

• Plank says:

As for Steve saying Hairston and Jones are better players, no one’s doing that.

Steve H referring to Manny:

I wouldn’t consider him the most skilled player

and this:

• I presume the 5th OF will be someone like Golson who has good D. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a defensive replacement and a big bopper on the bench? The Yankees did exactly this last year (or tried to) with Thames and Winn. Why would they have all their bench guys be defensive replacements. What if they are down by one in the 9th with Pena up at bat?

There’s a big difference between Thames and Ramirez: Thames was an ST invite who made the team over a Rule V pick. Manny Ramirez is going to be MUCH more expensive than Marcus Thames and would like get the same amount of playing time. Even if Manny hit well in 200something PAs, I don’t think he’d be worth the cost. Thames was also able to be more effective later in the season because he was strictly a DH; that’s something that isn’t likely to happen with Ramirez because of Posada being the full time DH. Yes, Posada could always get hurt but there will be cheaper options to replace him than Ramirez.

As for the linked comment, I think Steve was referring to the latter part of your statement. Playing off the bench, Manny probably wouldn’t have that much more of an impact than either guy; he’d only be doing it for a lot more money.

• Plank says:

That’s fair if you think Manny will cost too much or he won’t agree to a bench job, but the idea that a defensive guy is what the Yankees need instead of getting an obviously better player whose defense is not the strongest makes no sense to me. Especially when the other backup OF (Golson or someone similar) is already a defensive guy and the Yankees have a truckload of money to spend.

• but the idea that a defensive guy is what the Yankees need instead of getting an obviously better player whose defense is not the strongest makes no sense to me.

This is where I think you’re missing the point. Manny is, no doubt, the best free agent hitter out there right now. Hell, as a hitter only, he’s better than Carl Crawford. But the best overall player for the job doesn’t always represent the right player for the job.

As for the other parts: I highly doubt Manny would a) be cost efficient for the Yankees or b) take a reduced role. Someone out there will definitely give him a full time job, even if it’s just as a DH.

• the Yankees have a truckload of money to spend.

Just because they can spend doesn’t mean they should spend, especially on a fourth OF.

• Plank says:

If the player is worth it, then it wouldn’t be wasting the money. Paying a few million for a generic player like Scott Hairston instead of spending a few million more for a player that can impact your team positively is a waste.

I’ve always said Manny agreeing to be 4th OF is a big if. So is Andruw Jones (the focus of the previous column.) He has signed every contract with the expectation that he would be a starter. Why would he be different from Manny?

• nsalem says:

Plank: Answers to your questions from this afternoon.
              Koufax’s elbow issues would have been resolved by Tommy John Surgery, this information came from Jane Levy’s book Lefty (highly recommended).
              Al Spalding did not start a sporting good store he was a manufacturer.
              He started by selling baseball gloves. His baseballs were the official ones of MLB through 1976 and his basketballs are still used by the NBA.
              His company made the rubber balls we played with as kids and he also wrote the rule book for MLB. I would imagine he did quite better financially with this company than he would have on a ballplayers salary in the 1870′s.

• Plank says:

I wonder if Koufax would have been seen in a lesser light if he had a normal aging curve at the end of his career. He went out on top so his rate stats are insane. If they had fallen down like most players, would he be seen as a less dominant pitcher?

• nsalem says:

His 5 great years were so dominant, I think he would have maintained his status. He also had a legendary persona that transcended baseball. His great seasons came after 5 seasons of relative failure. He is remembered in many quarters for not starting the first or second game of the 1965 World Series due to a Jewish Holiday though he was not thought of as a very religious individual. He was a very private and thoughtful
                  figure who resided in a major market and was the subject of some very intense rumor mongering. Lefty is a great book and I would imagine there is lots of good info on him on the internet. If you have the time, read and decide for yourself.

• Jerome S. says:

We don’t tell a lot of people, but RAB is actually a Mo-worshipping cult that sacrifices dissenters.

• mbonzo says:

Plank I completely agree. From time to time I like to act as devil’s advocate or incite some sort of debate. Theres a lot of people on here that will call you dense or crazy. I’ve seen regulars do this from time to time too, but its really no different than when you debate with people face to face. As soon as you bring up a point that opposes what they think, instead of taking the time to analyze it, they will just say, “You’re just dense if you don’t see things my way.”

I’d like to do a little experiment and see if Mike, Joe, or Ben were to say the stuff that gets written off as “insane” and see what the reaction would be. They do a great job of analysis, but RAB readers are much more polite to them than themselves.

The only instance when I saw the readers disagree and basically call a writer insane, was when Mike posted about Yankee fans after the violent and apathetic remarks. I happened to agree with him and saw many posters disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. For instance, I said the majority of people in the lower levels get tickets from their companies (something I think we can all accept), but people started arguing that they sat there, thus you can’t assume regular people don’t sit there.

Theres a hive mind here, yet I find it more interesting to read the writer’s analysis than join in on bandwagons. So I say, Plank, don’t let the bullies get a hold of you. If anything, they’re the dense ones for not attempting to think outside-the-box.

• Plank says:

Thanks for that.

I think some of the posters here have an idea in their head, then any new information they get they either use to bolster their argument or disregard it. I love when I get swayed. I feel like I get smarter if I learn something new and change my opinion of something because of it.

Also, to run with your experiment, I’d love to see the reaction to the writer’s comments if they posted under a pseudonym.

To no fault of the writers, some posters take their opinions as gospel truth. I think even the writers would clarify and say that isn’t so. People come here to read their opinion, and their opinion matters, but it’s not fact just because one of the writers thinks something.

If Mike Axisa writes a column about why the Yankees should sign player A and you write a response saying you think player B is better for them and show why, that should be a welcome comment. I feel like it really isn’t here.

• Plank says:

I just want to clarify before I get slammed, I’m not talking about all posters, but there can definitely be an unhealthy culture of groupthink here.

22. Gonzo says:

Dave Gershman would ask for Montero, Sanchez, Joba, and Adams for Soria. Via twitter

23. mbonzo says:

I guess I missed an update, but wheres my RAB radio show! I’m guessing the weather has something to do with it.

24. Klemy says:

Living around Buffalo, I can’t even take these pictures seriously. All kidding aside though, I’m sure it’s a major issue there due to the inability to deal with it.