Dec

Yankees ‘considering’ Matt Diaz

Via Ed Price, the Yankees are “considering” free agent outfielder Matt Diaz for a platoon (a.k.a. the Marcus Thames) role. There’s no indication that they’ve actually made him an offer or anything like that, just that he’s crossed their minds. Joe took a brief look at Diaz last week in his non-tender guide. Diaz would be a fine choice, thought it sounds like the competition will be stiff.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Brooklyn Ed says:

Could Diaz field??

2. theyankeewarrior says:

Once we sign Crawford, there will be no use for Diaz.

3. JerseyDutch says:

Did Thames sign in Japan or is that still speculation?

4. Max says:

All aboard the Matt Diaz train!

5. I wonder if Diaz (and Hairston) will get anything more than platoon deals. I can see Hairston getting something more playing time inclusive because he can handle CF, but I won’t hold my breath.

6. China Joe says:

If Pettitte and Lee fall through, can Diaz pitch with his left hand?

• Granderslam says:

Ha! Let’s hope so. But if we land land and Pettitte retires, I imagine that Cash will look at the trade market for a SP option. I like Nova, but I think he would fit perfectly in a long-man role. Plus, having him in the BP provides more depth.

• vin says:

No, but Swisher can.

7. Jimmy McNulty says:

They’re also still interested in Russell Martin.

• Granderslam says:

Rosenthal: “#Yankees, #RedSox definitely on Russell Martin. #Mets, #BlueJays less interested. Martin prefers catching to super-utility.”

But I think Matt Diaz would be a fine choice to complement the lefty outfielders. I would easily take either Diaz or Hairston honestly. Both viable backup options.

8. Mister Delaware says:

“Matt Dee-az sucks. We need Crawford.”

9. icebird753 says:

They should bring up Melky Mesa. Nice name, and great power numbers.
    Sincerely, Stupid Yankees Fan

Bring back Melky Cabrera! The guy was the Yankees’ next Bernie…you can’t teach being clutch, especially in October. The Yankees have no one clutch, especially not A-Roid. What a waste of money. A waste!
    Sincerely, moronic yet anonymous personality on WFAN

10. kenthadley says:

how about Russell Martin as the starting catcher, and give him a few games in LF when letting Jesus or Frankie catch? Berra played both for many years.

• Martin could only start if Montero’s not up to start the year. There’s not much of a point to Montero being on the team to start the year if he’s not going to catch. He needs to be given every opportunity to fail before being replaced fully behind the plate.

11. Poopy Pants says:

Any chance A-Rod gets confused and tries to bang Matt Diaz?
    Can the Yankees trade for Orlando ‘Kate’ Hudson?

12. Amol says:

That last link seems to go to a Google Reader page that I’m not authorized to see.