Jan

Open Thread: Greg Golson

(AP Photo/Brandon Wade)

Earlier today we discussed the two-year anniversary of Andy Pettitte re-signing with the Yankees (well, one of those anniversaries anyway), but today is also the one-year anniversary of the deal that brought Greg Golson to New York. DotF Hall of Famer Mitch Hilligoss headed to Texas in the deal, and he went on to post a .335 wOBA in 275 plate appearances last year. I can’t find anything about an injury, so I’m not sure why he only made it into 69 games. Anyway, Golson spent most of the year with Triple-A Scranton (.325 wOBA), but he came up in September and made regular appearances as a defensive replacement, including the biggest defensive play of the year. He also found his way onto the playoff roster. Golson didn’t and most likely won’t have a big impact during his time with the Yankees, but they turned a replaceable minor league into some depth and a marginal late season upgrade. Hard to complain about the move.

So here’s your open thread for the night. The Devils, Isles, and Nets are all in action, but talk about whatever your heart desires. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Tom Zig says:

MORGAN! Where are you!?

• Angelo says:

Yeah…Does anyone know the time for his announcement???

• Kramerica Industries says:

GEORGE: You wanted to see me, Mr. Steinbrenner?

STEINBRENNER: Yes, George, please, come in, come in.

STEINBRENNER: Thanks for the card. I loved it. Gosh it made me feel good. You know, word has it that you were the brains behind the whole thing.

GEORGE: Oh, no, not just me, the whole organization. Especially Mr. Morgan.

STEINBRENNER: Morgan, Morgan, you know his name is conspicuously absent from this card. Almost like he went out of his way not to sign it.

GEORGE: Oh no, Morgan is a good man sir.

STEINBRENNER: You can stop kowtowing to Morgan. Congratulations, you got his job.

GEORGE: Wa, uh, thank you sir, you know I am not quite sure I’m right for it.

STEINBRENNER: Stop it George, he’s out, you’re in.

STEINBRENNER: A lot more work you know.

GEORGE: I know.

STEINBRENNER: A lot more responsibility. Long long hours.

GEORGE: I know.

STEINBRENNER: Not much more money. But you’ll finally get the recognition you deserve.

GEORGE: That’s what I’m afraid of. You know Mr. Steinbrenner, . . .

STEINBRENNER: You know as painfull as it is I had to let a few people go over the years. Yogi Berra, Lou Pinella, Bucky Dent, Billy Martin, Dallas Green, Dick Houser, Bill Virdon, Billy Martin, Scott Marrow, Billy Martin, Bob Lemmon, Billy Martin, Gene Michael, Buck Showalter, … uh, tut!, . . .George, you didn’t hear that from me. [George exits] . . . George!

2. NJYankeeFan says:

Mike, if your watching or anyone else, Wally Matthews reported today the Aceves back injury is much worse than first thought and he’s out for the entire 2011 season. I thought Aceves was recovering from a fractured clavicle on his left side which shouldn’t be a big deal to come back from considering he’s right handed. What gives??

• Mike Axisa says:

Got a link? I haven’t seen that.

• T-Dubs says:

Larry (NY)
        Why haven’t the Yankees brought back Alfredo Aceves yet?

Wallace Matthews (12:28 PM)
        Back injury much more serious than orignailly assumed, wil likely miss much if not all of 2011

• T-Dubs says:

Heh:

Wallace Matthews (12:32 PM)

Howie, I have long been in the camp that says Joba should remain in the pen. However, circumstances being what they are, I tend to agree with you. What do the Yankees have to lose at least trying it again this spring? With the strengthenign of the bullpen, they might even be able to leave him in Florida for a few weeks for a couple of extra starts.

• Steve H says:

I saw that in his chat today as well. In last weeks chat Wally said that Betances and Banuelos were both closer to the majors than Brackman because Brackman has never pitched above AA for any extended period of time.

AA Innings:
      Brackman 80.2
      Banuelos 15.1
      Betances 14.1

AAA Innings:
      Brackman 0
      Banuelos 0
      Betances 0

Even when presented with these facts, Wally didn’t back off, just saying “it’s what the Yankees feel, not me.” Long story short, I wouldn’t take what Wally says in a chat without a grain of salt. I don’t think he answers questions on his feet too well.

• Jose the Satirist says:

As someone who used to craft questions in his chat to provoke funny responses, I can confirm this. He is extremely predictable and can be guided towards a certain answer.

• The reason he offered was wrong, but I think its correct to say that the Yanks feel Dellin and Manny-Banny are closer to the bigs than Brackman right now. But even with that being the case, don’t take it to the bank. How organizations feel about prospects can swing wildly from season to season.

At the Cashman breakfast, Brian said the two guys who are closest to the bigs right now are Phelps and Warren. He said that he expects the Killer Bs to get a full year in the minors, but did mention them as high upside rotation candidates for the future. Both have “higher ceilings than Phil Hughes”.

• Steve H says:

I can see Manny just because he’s more polished, but I’d be pretty surprised to see Betances before Brackman. If a guy went on the 15 day DL and they just needed 2 or 3 starts, I definitely think they’d bring up Brackman since he’s already on the 40 man.

• radnom says:

I definitely think they’d bring up Brackman since he’s already on the 40 man.

Agreed, but thats more the situation from his signing bonus and really has little to do with who the Yankees think is more ready for the bigs. Before Betances had surgery a couple years ago I remember seeing a lot of optimistic reports saying he might be ready by 2011….in which case it wouldn’t surprise me if the Yankees feel he is more ready. I don’t think the extra 60 innings in AAA make a huge difference either way. I honestly would believe either one.

• Steve H says:

For a long term callup I could see it being any number of guys (including Brackman). But I think they’d give him the shot at a short term MLB assignment, to not have to put someone else on the roster. Of course any long term injuries could make it easy enough to find said roster spot.

• radnom says:

Yeah, that was my point. I guess it depends how you measure closer to the majors. Brackman obviously has an advantage in a fill-in situation due to his contract but I was simply pointing out that fact was irrelevant when comparing the current development of the 3 B’s.

• Brackman’s been on the 40 man since the day they signed him. That tells us nothing about where he is in his development.

3. Golson's Rocket Arm says:

GOLSON!!! The man the myth the legend

4. bexarama says:

Morgan Ensberg’s announcement is the new Chuck Greenberg conference call

Speaking of Chuck Greenberg, did anyone else see he’s taking credit for Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies and not the Yankees? wut how.

• mbonzo says:

Chuck Greenberg might be the lowest class owner in baseball.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Why is that?

• mbonzo says:

He called Yankee fans violent and apathetic. He held a meeting announcing some Cliff Lee information and started a big hype over it, ended up he just said they were still trying to sign him. Now he’s claiming he’s the reason the Yankees didn’t sign him.

The guy’s in charge of a club that just went bankrupt, and most of what he does is just to troll the Yankees. He’s a joke, and the other owners should be upset they let him buy one of the clubs that need the most attention to be fixed.

• bexarama says:

also, I feel the need to re-post this from the original Pettitte thread

The entire thing is great but I just happened to notice this part.
      And Andy Pettitte’s last postseason win was four years (and five starts) ago.
      At the time of this writing, Pettitte’s last postseason win was the 2005 NLDS. Let’s look at his games since then.

2005 NLCS Game 1: 6 IP, 5 ER. He was stinky and he lost.
      2005 NLCS Game 5: 6.1 IP, 2 ER. Left trailing by 1, the Astros came back to take the lead, and then Pujols sent a Brad Lidge offering to the moon.
      2005 World Series Game 2: 6 IP, 2 ER. Left with a lead, bullpen barfed it up.
      2007 ALDS Game 2: 6.1 IP, 0 R. He was winning when he left, but midges happened.

Oh, and Smoltz’s last postseason win was during that 2005 NLDS too. He hadn’t pitched at all since then. And you know, Andy’s gone 5-1 in the postseason (with the loss being a 7 IP, 2 ER game) since Stark wrote this so SHD.

5. yankees1717 says:

did we ever find out whether nova pitched in winter ball?

6. Avi says:

A few Yankee realted Q&A’s with Jonathan Mayo from his top 50 prospects chat today:
    Minoryanks: Who is the Yankees’ future catcher? Jesus Montero, Gary Sanchez or Austin Romine?

Mayo: More immediately, Romine. But I think Sanchez is the guy in the future. I don’t know if Montero will ever catch full-time, but we’ll have to see. Obviously, if he can, his value goes up. For those of you wondering why Montero was No. 9 (I know there are Yankees fans who think he should be higher), it’s the questions of defense that put him there.

anon41293: Explain to me how a bunch of guys at A-ball or below are ranked above a 20 year old killing Triple-A? Chapman is already in the Majors and he’s a reliever. Dustin Ackley is 22 with a .776 OPS and no position.

Mayo: I couldn’t resist one more question about Montero, because there are plenty and this one had just enough edge to it to reply.

So, allow me to explain:

1. The methodology: I poll as many scouts as possible and they give me their top-30 lists. I dump that into a spreadsheet and do an AP Poll kind of thing… so if they put Trout No. 1, he got 30 points, and on down.

The more scouts, the more opinions, the better the list. So the simple explanation is that more people ranked the guys at A-ball or below above Montero.

Now, to go further than that. Ackley does have a position. He’s just new at it. He’ll be able to play second base. And if all else fails, he can play center field, but I don’t think it will come to that. Chapman still qualifies, as does anyone who still has rookie status.

Finally, this list — and lists like this — don’t just look at stats a guy has at a level. Scouts evaluating Ackley really don’t care all that much about what his OPS was. And your 20-year-old you’re so high on, most people think he’s a DH. And DHs won’t rank as highly on things like this.

smc42276_2: Which prospect outside of the top-20 has the highest ceiling?

Mayo: If you’re going to go pure upside, I’d probably have to go with Gary Sanchez, the Yankees catcher. I’ll put the O’s Manny Machado as the runner-up.

• Zack says:

Those scouts knocked Montero because of his defense had no questions about Chapman’s ability to start?

• Steve H says:

Yeah, that’s interesting. A good to great DH>>>>>>A good to great reliever.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah it’s weird. Top hitting prospects have a much much much much much safer bet of contributing to his team. I guess it’s the lefty + 100 MPH fastball thing.

• Avi says:

The 3 guys I have a problem with being ranked ahead of Montero are Ackley, Moustakas and and Hosmer. Ackley’s minor league numbers are poor and he isn’t ever supposed to hit for power. He’s also not a sure thing to stick at 2B. Moustakas is a guy who swings at everything and never draws a walk which is def cause for concern, MLB pitchers can exploit that. Hosmer doesn’t have the power that Montero does. At worst Montero is a first baseman not a DH, so I don’t get why he wouldn’t rank ahead of those guys based on uncertainty as to weather he’ll stick at catcher.

7. Sheepmeister says:

So Klaw ranked the yankees 9th on top farm systems behind KC, TB, ATL, TOR, PHI, LAA, MIN, CIN and only 2 spots ahead of boston. I know that its all semantics but I would think that it should be closer to 5 for the yanks.

8. Teh Comp Pick says:

Wow Jorge Cantu only got 850k! Wonder if there woulda been anyway to fit him on the roster. At that price you’d think every team would have been in.

9. Question. I have Time Warner cable and bought an LCD TV recently. Do I need a new cable box?

The old one makes the picture look like crap, so I had the TV self program the channels with the cable wire hooked in, but now I lost half my channels.

10. Why is Heyman tweeting contract offers for Andy? Did I miss something?

11. pete says:

anybody with Sirius XM wanna keep us updated on Ensbergate?

12. Avi says:

To me Mike Trout is being overrated. How many elite players are their that don’t hit at least 30 homers annually? Trout looks like the center field version of Derek Jeter. A high average guy without a lot of power. His hitting style reminds me of Jeter’s. He inside-out’s the ball with a short swing that doesn’t have a lot of leverage. A very good player? Yes. An elite superstar type of a guy that’s deserving of the best prospect in the game while only in class A? I personally don’t think so.

• mbonzo says:

Trout slugged .490 at the age of 18. For an 18 year old, thats a lot of power. Montero slugged .491 at 18.

• Avi says:

He doesn’t project to hit for above average power (more than 20 homers a year).

• mbonzo says:

Sure if he kept hitting for .490 slugging I’d say he’d be a 20-25 homerun guy, but again he’s 18. You have to look at power numbers in terms of age. Ryan Howard slugged .460 in his second year, in A level. An 18 year old will develop more power as they get older, and Trout is no exception. So he DOES project to an above average power hitter because most 18 year olds can barely hit .400 slugging.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

He has projection but he doesn’t have elite power. He’s no where close to Stanton, Harper, Montero or like Moustakas. Stats lie like a bitch in the early levels.

• mbonzo says:

You can’t count Harper yet, he could have just as much power but we don’t know since he’s barely played professionally.

Now I am not arguing that he currently has more power than any of the other guys listed, but if you compare their slugging based on age its very similar.

At 18 years old Montero slugged .491.
              At 19 years old Moustakas slugged .468
              At 18 years old Stanton slugged .611, but at 19 he slugged .501.

As you can see, its hard to call Trout “a high average guy without a lot of power.” He’s right on par with some of the best power hitting prospects. My point is, you can’t judge an 18 year olds power based on what 30 year olds hit, you have to base it on what the average 18 year old slugs.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Trout also plays a premium position and steals tons of bases. His numbers in A ball were ridiculous to say the least I am pretty sure he wOBA over .450 there.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

There is a wide range of what Trout’s ultimate power ceiling is. The range goes up to 25-plus home runs per season and no lower than 15. Given his strong base, broad shoulders, strong legs and wrists, Trout should have no problem driving the ball at every level.

A problem with some high leg kick hitters, Harper does not over-stride. Instead he takes a relatively short, controlled stride. He maintains balance, and starts his rapid hip rotation. This is where power is created. The core-strength, flexibility, and shear velocity of his hip rotation (sometimes referred to as ‘core stretch’) all point to Harper’s prodigious power potential. Actually, potential may not be the right word. He could hit big league fastballs today. He’ll need some experience to be able to lay off big league breaking balls but Harper is as close to his power potential as any hitter this young has ever been — at least of anyone within my lifetime.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Montero got a .165 ISO that year where Trout hit for .149

But still Montero’s power is on the 80 scale. I don’t think Trout has that. But he has everything else going for him.

• mbonzo says:

Well Montero’s talent is his unbelievable power, which I don’t expect to compare to Trout. Trouts real talent is in his speed, contact hitting, fielding, and ability to get on base, but he also has a lot of power compared to other 18 year olds.

• Mike Axisa says:

If he’s a CF version of Jeter, he’s the best prospect in the baseball. Remember, he was just 19 last year. The power will come eventually, even if it’s 15-20 a year.

• radnom says:

Yeah, I can’t believe someone would use that as a disparaging remark.
        If he’s the CF version of Jeter he’s a freaking HOFer.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

It’s the tools. But for CF it’s fine if he doesn’t hit 30 homers. It’s not like many CFers can anymore. There’s like Hamilton and Grandy.

Trout is similar to Hamilton but with more SB’s and less power. And will likely be healthier.

• mbonzo says:

At 18 Hamilton slugged .510 and at 19 he slugged .476. Trout has better power numbers 2 years into the minor leagues and he’s a year younger.

• Tim says:

Its not about what stats he has at lower levels. It is about the projection to the major league level based on swing mechanics, and other things. Everything I have heard is that he will hit for about average power (I’ve read anywhere from 15-25), which is very good considering his overall tools.

• bexarama says:

Trout looks like the center field version of Derek Jeter

If he looks like that at 19 and is good defensively to boost, that’s… pretty amazing, especially considering the state of center fielders right now (it’s bad, baaaaaad). Also, it’s not like Derek Jeter has no power; he’s not Elvis Andrus or Brett Gardner.

13. Mantle28 says:

I just did that cool game where it guesses your person everytime and as a joke a I did Mike Axisa and it got it :0

14. theyankeewarrior says:

What is going on with Morgan? What did he say? Anyone?

15. bexarama says:

Ensberg’s news: Jeter is taking early batting practice.

No seriously.

16. mbonzo says:

Was Morgan Ensberg a bigger troll to Yankees fans as a radio host or as a Yankee?

17. pat says:

Sofia Vergara. My goodness.

That is all.

18. icebird753 says:

FAR OUT: His latest tweet was this: JETER TAKES BATTING PRACTICE.

19. T.J. says:

Now that we’ve signed Colon we should trade CC and Hughes and make the rotation AJ, Prior, Colon, Nova, Mitre.

20. Avi says:

Tweet from Klaw:
    I was being facetious – obviously. RT @jthornbuckle: do you really consider Arodys Vizcaino a throw in to the Vazquez/Melky trade?

21. mike c says: