Mar

Sunday Night Open Thread

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Cheer up, this was the last Sunday without meaningful Yankees baseball until (hopefully) late October. Run out the clock on the weekend with this open thread, so go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. nick says:

I went to the yankees vs twins game today and got a ball signed by justin maxwell, steve garison, and cano! I was two feet away from montero but he only signed one ball for some girl. I was so mad I couldn’t him to sign, but overall it was a great time.

2. 20 teamer, Sean P’s league over at TYA, picking 11/20:

P-Nova
    P-Padilla
    P-Capuano
    P-Westbrook

3. AndrewYF says:

Fantasy baseball question:

I’m on CBSSports, and it’s a weekly lineups format. However, this year they’ve decided to combine the first (half) week and second full week into one whole period, so there’s 11 days instead of the usual 7.

So, it’s a rotisserie league and there’s no innings cap, so you really just want the most amount of innings so you don’t fall behind on strikeouts, because everyone is using at least 6 starters.

I have Madison Bumgarner and Ervin Santana. Bumgarner’s scheduled for 1 start in this period, at San Diego. Easy decision, right? Well, Ervin Santana is scheduled for 2 starts, one in Kansas City and one at home against Toronto. However, there’s also Joel Hanrahan (Pirates closer), who has 10 games against Chicago, Colorado, and St. Louis, not exactly high-octane offenses. So he could easily replicate whatever Bumgarner’s going to do, only with some extra saves.

I also have Brett Cecil scheduled for two starts against Minnesota and Anaheim, so I could conceivably sit him for Bumgarner. But I’m not sure, and I’d rather have that extra chance for a win.

I’m thinking I sit Bumgarner and start Hanrahan and Santana. Is this a mistake?

4. barry says:

Yankees on 30 teams tonight on MLB network. Probably worth watching…

5. Jenny says:

My bracket is in tatters.

6. Sabermetrically Challenged says:

Charlie sheen makes me hard

7. Kiersten says:

Well, if Kentucky wins on Saturday and Monday, then the entire season will be meaningless.

Zing!

8. mbonzo says:

Why aren’t the Yanks interested in Silva? If they’re interested in Milwood enough to sign him, don’t you think they’d give a guy like Silva a chance too?

• Mike Axisa says:

Rothschild knows Silva from last season, I’m sure he had some input.

• mbonzo says:

It seemed like he had some improved success with Rothschild. I guess they didn’t have the best relationship.

• CMP says:

I think the Yankees would have to be concerned with adding Silva to C.C., Joba and Colon for fear someone that someone could get injured during their stampede to the buffet table.

• Steve H says:

Also, Silva seems like kind of a dick. I’ve never heard anything bad about Millwood. Even if they were both free at the same time, I think Millwood would certainly get the call. Now that Millwood has already signed, I see no reason to kick the (spare) tires on Silva.

• Tom Zig says:

because Silva now has a bad clubhouse guy reputation. When you’re talking about superstars teams will overlook that, but when you’re talking about someone who will give you replacement level value in return, well it may be a deal breaker.

9. Drew says:

Any particular reason Buddy Carlyle started the game today? Lol

10. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

Is anyone attending the first 2 home series i just bough sum tickets for mondays game vs the twins.

11. Mat Uk says:

Just had a terrible draft!

12. dkidd says:

BN – Ted Lily
    BN – Derek Lowe

15. Ori says:

Don’t you mean early november? Late October could mean an ALCS loss

16. Jerome S. says:

Me on Facebook:
    me: less than a hundred hours to opening say
    idiot: Jeter’s going to break his ankle on opening day and never reach 3,000 hits
    Me: why would you say that?
    oh right, cuz you’re a Met’s fan and what passes for hope at Citi is an impending sense of doom. In that context, thanks for the compliment.

17. Jimmy McNulty says:

Couple of things:

I wonder who’s the odd man out in Scranton? I think it should be DJ Mitchell. He’s most likely a reliever long term, and every other pitcher in the rotation projects as a starter somewhere.

Season starts Thursday, were all stoked

I have this wicked sore on my ear, any suggestions for gentle cleansers for the wound?

• Tom Zig says:

I would probably pop it and then use peroxide to clean it, but I’m not a doctor so don’t take my word for it haha.

• Mike Axisa says:

Definitely don’t pop anything, you’ll leave a scar, even if it’s just a small one. It’ll also take much longer to heal that way.

Peroxide is always a safe bet for a cleanser, but dab it, don’t wipe. You’ll risk tearing something open.

No, I’m not a doctor, but I play one on a blog.

18. Jimmy McNulty says:

Holy Shit, the Cubs released Silva? Wow. I doubt he’d accept a minor league deal, but if they didn’t have Garcia I think the Yankees should pick him up.

19. Nick says:

So whats happening with Romulo Sanchez?

20. Total Dominication says:

My draft from the RAB American Conference League, 20 teams.

1. (10) Carlos González (Col – OF)
    2. (27) Kevin Youkilis (Bos – 1B)
    3. (46) Brandon Phillips (Cin – 2B)
    4. (63) Ichiro Suzuki (Sea – OF)
    5. (82) Mat Latos (SD – SP)
    6. (99) Roy Oswalt (Phi – SP)
    7. (118) Francisco Rodríguez (NYM – RP)
    8. (135) Starlin Castro (ChC – SS)
    9. (154) Jason Bay (NYM – OF)
    10. (171) Juan Pierre (CWS – OF)
    11. (190) Colby Lewis (Tex – SP)
    12. (207) Ian Kennedy (Ari – SP)
    13. (226) Kurt Suzuki (Oak – C)
    14. (243) David Freese (StL – 3B)
    15. (262) Tyler Clippard (Was – RP)
    16. (279) Plácido Polanco (Phi – 2B,3B)
    17. (298) Scott Baker (Min – SP)
    18. (315) Brett Cecil (Tor – SP)
    19. (334) Danny Valencia (Min – 3B)
    20. (351) Will Venable (SD – OF)
    21. (370) Scott Podsednik (Tor – OF)
    22. (387) Jon Garland (LAD – SP)

21. Tom Zig says:

P: John Danks
    P: Jason Hammel
    BN: Chris Narveson
    BN: Juan Gutierrez
    BN: Matt Lindstrom

I think I did alright.

Just going off of last year’s stats, I’m weak in the OF, but I’m hoping Snider can have a good year.

My RPs are a bunch of question marks, I don’t even know if any of them are actual closers, but we’ll see.

22. Phishin' says:

I was down at Spring Training from Thurs until Sunday and I met Joba at a bar after the Friday nifty game, the Blue Martini. He bought (forcefully) my friend and I shots. He’s a real quiet guy. I told him he looked like he was throwing hard earlier that evening, his response, “they had me at 97″…..