Apr

Open Thread: Hughes’ Throwing Program

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

As you know by now, the Yankees placed Phil Hughes on the disabled list yesterday so he could deal with what’s being called a “dead arm phase.” He’ll begin a throwing program tomorrow according to Ian Begley, who reports that Hughes will throw long-toss on Sunday and Monday before resting on Tuesday. He’s going to throw the ball on a line rather than up in the air, and Larry Rothschild is going to pay attention to his arm speed. The soonest he would throw off a mound is Wednesday, but that’s not guaranteed. I don’t care what they do, as long it gets Hughes right.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Mets and Braves are playing the second game of their doubleheader, and the MLB Network will be carrying a game as well. Who you see depends on where you live. You’ve also got NBA and NHL playoff action all over the place, so there’s enough to keep you occupied on a rather miserable (weather-wise) night. You all know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jt says:

mike, did i miss dotf yesterday?

2. First time lawng time says:

Went to the game last night…what are Jeter’s and Cano’ walk up songs? (or at bat songs, whatever you want to call it)

3. CS Yankee says:

Which (so far) is more amazing in a non-Met way;

1)Jorge Posada, to date, would have 5 more HR’s than M&M’s toatal from ’61 combined?

2) That Andrus would have more power than Jeter?

3) Garcia would be our #2 SP & his ERA would hover around CC?

4. bexy on another computer says:

So I missed almost the entire game today (except for, I am not kidding, the top of the eighth, obviously I should never watch another Yankee game ever again), and just, whoah. Freddy Garcia. O_O That was not expected.

Alex plz 2 b ok.

• First time lawng time says:

According to the media Arod is bad for the Yankees. They were20-3 without him last year which means he has no value. Lol

• mbonzo says:

Woah Freddy Garcia is right, but I don’t see him having too many games like that. Seemed like the Rangers were sitting fastball on him and he had some remarkable command and movement on all his offspeed stuff. Not saying that I wasn’t impressed, but I’m sure the next team to face him will be looking for breaking balls, and whats the chances he has that kind of stuff on his offspeed pitches next outing? I’m just happy Yankees won today.

• Ted Nelson says:

Of course he’s not going to throw a shutout every time, but he’s had plenty of good starts since he returned from injury

5. Pat D says:

An ad for Out of the Park Baseball 11? That’s pretty cool. I can vouch for the quality of that game from previous versions, but I must warn you that if you don’t like simulation games, you’ll hate it, and if you like simulation games, it will suck away endless hours of your life.

6. Xstar7 says:

I wouldn’t be too worried about A-Rod’s injury yet.

7. Thirty5Thirty6 says:

So Jeff Weaver came into my work today. I had to hold back the urge to do something.

• Drew says:

That’s awesome. He was my favorite terrible Yankee of all time. My favorite was when he ate his glove while walking off the mound.

8. dela g says:

Today is my 24th birthday! I feel so old!!

I’m glad the yanks delivered at the game. I went to today and yesterday’s games, both very memorable when hanging with my friends

9. 28 this year says:

anyone see the Royals grounds crew guy fail? They almost killed a guy. Poor royals, at least the guy is replacement level so its not hard to find another.

10. Ben says:

For me, the most impressive part of Garcia’s outing was the sixth inning. For one, it was probably his most impressive inning of the game. 1-2-3 with a strikeout and 2 (!!) swing and misses. But it was also Garcia’s third time facing those three hitters, and it didn’t matter. He mixed in the change more, and was quite effective in the inning I most expected him to struggle.

I don’t expect his success to last long, but today was certainly enjoyable.

• It’s pretty tough to hit in this weather, especially for a team that’s accustomed to Texas heat. I certainly want to see much more from Freddy before I start getting too giddy.

That being said, boy did the Yanks ever need that start from somebody. The night before we were wondering if Nova is the #3 AND if he’s ready for the bigs.

11. Zack says:

#Angels Conger gets 3rd consec start at C. Mathis upset w/ playing time, meets with Scioscia behind closed doors. Declines to talk w/ media

Mathis upset with PT after 3 games? Imagine how Mike Napoli felt.

• Pat D says:

That’s utterly hilarious since Mathis is quite possibly the worst offensive player in baseball.

• Tom Zig says:

Jarrod Saltalamacchia says hi

• Pat D says:

Wow, I didn’t realize he’d been so horrible this year.

But I was also looking at Mathis’ entire career. Over 4+ seasons a slash line of .199/.263/.314, which is an OPS+ of 53. That’s just sustained failure.

Oh, and I love this comment from his B-Ref page sponsor line: “Scioscia says Mathis is one of the Angels’ most valuable players. With Ervin Santana struggling, guess who catches him? Mathis. The Yankees didn’t win their first WS in the 90′s until Joe Girardi joined the team. Mathis is that kind of catcher.”

Now, this is great for two reasons. First of all, it shows that Mike Scioscia isn’t as smart as for which he’s given credit. Second, while Girardi was no offensive standout, he was nowhere near the automatic out that Mathis usually is. I’m sorry, but I don’t think any player’s defense can cover up that putrid production.

12. Gonzo says:

I don’t have ESPN insider, but what did the article about arm injuries and long toss? Damn, I can’t remember the author, but it was a couple of months ago. Don’t need to break any laws, I was just wondering aht the conclusion was.

13. Things that make me feel old (and I’m only 33):

Gerald Wilkins’s son is playing in an NBA playoff game right now. Damon Wayans’s son stars in a new ABC sitcom that debuted this month.

• Pat D says:

Things that make me feel old (and I’m only 30):

My body. That’s what happens when you’ve been overweight for much too long.

14. Craig says:

Two things: Good to see Lance Berkman doing well and I got my Banuelos shirt the other day, quality pickup for $15.

15. ZZ says:

People should probably take a look at what Garcia did last season before declaring how shocking his performance was today or that he can’t keep pitching well.

Game logs are your friend.

• bexy on another computer says:

It’s not that I don’t think he can be an okay contributor, it’s that he might’ve been rusty and he was playing a team who’s been pretty darn good at scoring runs so far.

• Want to have some fun? Look through some game logs for the past few seasons for Josh Beckett. The AJ Burnett comps are very apt.

• Urban says:

Garcia had a high percentage of quality starts, and in those games his ERA was about 2.70 (going off memory here). So that means when he’s on, like he was today, you’ll get a good game. It also means that when he’s bad, he’s horrid. We’ll be seeing both. Let’s just hope he maintains the high percentage of quality starts this year.

16. Granderslam says:

Does anyone have info or link to Lance Peddleton scouting report. Just curious. Thanks!

17. mike c says:

I’m interested to see how bartolo colon does filling in for hughes… if he keeps doing well would he be taken out of the rotation? maybe hughes to the pen?

• Jerome S. says:

Hughes = Joba C. 2013?

• Tank the Frank says:

I don’t think he’ll do particularly well, at least in the long run. He doesn’t have a usable breaking ball from what I’ve seen. He’s got the four-seamer and two-seamer (that lose velocity as the game goes on) and a usable changeup.

I don’t believe the Yankees see him as a long-term option. Plus Hughes is just too valuable to put in the pen. The Yankees can’t keep paying $15-20 million for starting pitching and filling out the other two or three spots with over-the-hill/injury risk types on minor league deals. They Hughes to be a cheap innings eater in the middle of the rotation at the very least.

18. Jerome S. says:

If you think that Soriano is “broken” right now, you’re insane.

All I’m saying.

• Tom Zig says:

he hasn’t pitched in a while and doesn’t pitch well in the cold (or that’s what the going rumor is). I’ll give him a reprieve until the the weather warms up and the schedule gets more consistent.

• mbonzo says:

I think its just the reality setting in that the Steinbernner’s plan to sign Soriano to replace Lee was one of the dumbest things to say or do. As if the signing of Feliciano wasn’t bad enough, Soriano has already made it next to impossible to replicate his numbers for next year. It really is a possibility that Soriano does not have the mentality to hold games. On the other hand, its small sample size, all he’s done so far was cost the Yankees 1 game, but might have saved a few as well. So I obviously agree with you that its too early to decide what his season will look like, but the accumulation of all that is wrong with Yankees’ pitching this week (Hughes, Feliciano, Soriano) sends NY fans into panic mode. Seems that everybody forgets how well Colon and Garcia have ended up for the Yanks so far. Although the stats haven’t been there for Nova, he’s kept the Yankees in every inning up until the 5th inning yesterday.

Summary: Typical Yankees fan says, “Yankees, 8-5, in first place? Who cares, SORIANO SUCKS point me to the suicide bridge.

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

I have a feeling that if LA falls out of it Cash will try to get Scott Downs.

• mbonzo says:

Its possible, but I don’t think he’d be learning his lesson there. Yankees bullpen is fine, they need an adequate LOOGY and Scott Downs is more than adequate and not a LOOGY. If Boone Logan becomes good, Yankees will be fine, if not they should just target a failed lefty starter. The last thing they should do is trade some nice prospects to the Angels for Scott Downs who promptly goes down with an injury.

• mike c says:

plus if everything goes right the yankees should be able to call up baneulos and use him in the pen come september

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

“If Boone Logan becomes good”

There’s the sample of all of Boone Logan’s career where he’s been a fairly mediocre pitcher compared to 2010. I don’t think he’ll become good again, and I don’t think a middle reliever signed to a 3/15M contract will command anything more than a Brandon Laird type prospect at the very most. He’ll basically just add depth to the bullpen if Soriano doesn’t breakout of this funk that he’s in and probably be the 7th or 8th inning guy if there’s a good lefty (lefties I suppose too) coming up in the inning.

• mike c says:

the angels aren’t going to trade scott downs for brandon laird… the angels don’t mind paying wells so I really doubt they care about what they are paying downs

• Mickey Scheister says:

I am concerned with Soriano, I expect he’ll figure it out but a 9.xx ERA thru 6 appearances is brutal from a guy with the expectations he created with a 1.70 ERA thru 64 appearances last year. It does look eerily similar to his 2004 season, the last season he posted a sub 2 ERA. What incentive does he have to perform well? I doubt he’ll match the salary he signed for and the opt-outs are just in case he has another superb year. I’m not running for bridges or freaking out, just a realist stating facts. For the record his WHIP is half what it was in 04 and ERA+ is much better but his velocity is down and control is off after a career high in IP the last two years combined. I also am aware of the SSS involved. All that said, I HOPE he gets it together and proves me wrong!

• bexy on another computer says:

What incentive does he have to perform well?

You mentioned the opt-outs. This offseason is closerpalooza, which means that yes teams will be signing closers, but other teams will be looking for closers. So there is that.

• Urban says:

His incentive is he’s a professional athlete and clearly does not like getting his ass kicked on a national stage pitching before the NY media.

He will also want to use his opt-out in the next couple of seasons to be a closer again and make even more money, so he has quite a bit of incentive.

It’s early. It means nothing. I would be more concerned if he was throwing 89 mph today, as he was when he had his other meltdown. He was hitting 94 and that’s a good sine. He has always been a very good relief pitcher when healthy, which he is now. He’ll be fine.

19. A-Rod's Wingman says:

Glad to see they finally DLed Hughes, he was about as close to dead as you could possibly get. Hopefully he’ll turn it around, the team needs him this year. Good game today, Freddy Garcia was awesome, I about shit myself when Teixeira was able to power that shot through in the first. Soriano’s lack of velocity is starting to get a bit concerning, but Joba was fucking awesome again, and Robbie bailed the team out in the eighth. Glad to see Jeter show some signs of life today, hit a deep fly ball that would have been out on a normal day, so that’s encouraging.

20. So how did Joba look today? I was listening on the radio, but Serling and Suzyn were gushing over how good he looked. Which may or may not mean absolutely nothing.

21. Epy0n says:

Garcia threw his changeup 24 times and 16 of them were strikes. His FB was impressive to topping at only 87mph but out of 33 FB’s 22 of them or 66.67% were strikes. If you look at his strikezone plot his command was on point hurling the ball low in the zone. What a great day today.

• mike c says:

his change up was ridiculous… he had guys whiffing at 68 MPH pitches and then mixing in the fastball. he was vert smart with his pitches, pettitte-esque

• Pat D says:

Well the way he was changing speeds with such a diminished fastball, it was reminding me of Mike Mussina when he was successful his last couple years.

When he didn’t change speeds well enough, he got hit and was pretty terrible. However, when he mixed it up enough, he kept hitters off balance and had success.

• Monteroisdinero says:

no 68 mph changes 24 times a game in Andy’s career-a different kind of smart-but great location was key.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Location location location. Important to all pitchers except…

Phil Hughes

22. Monteroisdinero says:

Getting pumped for a game at Trenton this week and one or two at Scranton Fri/Sat. I hope Jesus is still hitting in the .400′s when I get there.

23. Epy0n says:

If you are really trying to get into triple a baseball or highschool baseball what are some good sites to go to that are informative?

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

Into AAA baseball? minorleagueball.com, Baseball America, or even just go to games at your local park are good starts. HS baseball? Depends on the community.

• Epy0n says:

Thanks Baseball America is great!

• Mickey Scheister says:

I live right next to the Gwinnett Braves Stadium (CoolRay Field, 2 miles away) in GA, AAA Yanks will be there for 4 games the last weekend of the month, I can’t wait to see Montero and hopefully ManBan will be pitching! I just moved there at the end of the AAA season last year, it’ll be my first AAA game.

I used to go to BlueRocks games in DE, not AAA.

24. Epy0n says:

Dallas Braden vs Justin Verlander. Impressive start so far for Braden, mixing his pitches well.

• Remember when Justin Verlander inexplicably lost his fastball in his second year in the bigs?

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

That was one of the more odd things I’ve seen. Hopefully Phil Hughes goes through the same thing, mainly the getting it back part, but you can get your stuff back too apparently.

25. Hall and Nokes says:

Gawd…….how dire are the mets?

26. Monteroisdinero says:

King Felix 1-2 and losing 7-0 to the Royals today. Trade Montero for him?

Who else do they have to make it fair?

Clearly a case of too many innings and a dead arm. It’s the hottest thing since oblique injuries.

27. Craig says:

Anyone else looking forward to this Mets firesale?

28. A-Rod's Wingman says:

Where can I find data about letting inherited runners score?

29. Total Dominication says:

A-rod is leading the AL in all 3 parts of the triple slash line.

30. epy0n says:

Vladimir Guerrero swings at outside pitches almost 53% of the time. 0_0

31. Craig says:

This storm is CRAZY, a huge bolt just struck my backyard and the subsequent thunder woke me up; terrible experience

32. Jenny says:

just when you think the Mets couldn’t sink further, they do.

33. Speedy says:

What does all this have to done with Phil Hughes’ Throwing Program? I guess it is an open thread. But…

I was thinking once they figure out Hughes’ problem, they could use him in the overworked bullpen to build up pitch count. In 2009? he was lights out in the BP. Right?