Apr

Open Thread: Tight back for Soriano

(AP Photo/Gail Burton)

Like many of you, I was wondering what the hell was up with Rafael Soriano when the Yankees had a one-run lead in the eighth inning today and he was nowhere to be found. Joe Girardi announced after the game that his Eighth Inning Guy™ has some tightness in his lower back, and he was unavailable yesterday as well. He’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow to see if he can pitch. Hopefully he’s okay, because it’s unlikely Mariano Rivera will be available on Monday after throwing 30-something pitches today.

Anyway, here is the open thread for the night. The ESPN Sunday Night game features the Reds and Cardinals (Sam LeCure-Jake Westbrook), plus I’m sure there’s NHL and NBA playoff action on somewhere. Talk about whatever you like, go nuts.

Categories : Injuries, Open Thread

1. squishy jello person says:

Re Montero: There aren’t many times I’m glad I’m a woman, but this is one of them

2. Midland TX says:

The bullpen got nailed, but rose from the dead.

• Hurling Darvish says:

Our offense should be able to pickup the pitching late in games often enough; better late than never today, I suppose.

3. A-Rod's Wingman says:

Regarding today’s game, I don’t think anything’s wrong with Mo or Girardi did anything poorly. Freddy Garcia throws garbage, if he goes through six unscathed, you don’t want to risk any correction. The bullpen was well rested and had a three run lead. Perhaps, they should have brought in Robertson instead of Chamberlain, if they knew Soriano had a tight back, but that’s all I got. Mo hadn’t pitched since Tuesday, no one’s at fault there, relievers can’t pitch every five days and be expected to remain sharp. Shit happens.

• YankeesJunkie says:

If this maybe a one or two run lead and Garcia did not look good in the sixth then I would agree. However, Garcia was still strong and he at least deserved a shot in the seventh inning with a three run lead. Most of the time it won’t matter and the Yanks will win, but just for the sake of getting more distance out of your starter it should be done.

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

Yes, but Freddy Garcia sucks. Anytime you over extend him you’re playing with fire. He’s had two good outings, but he hasn’t been a good pitcher since 2006. I mean, he’s probably good enough for the Yankees for their purposes…but he’s not a guy you want facing the line up much more than three times through.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Does not have to be a long leash, maybe just one hitter getting on, but still he earned a leash.

• Hurling Darvish says:

I agree, leave Freddy in until he gets a runner on at least; maybe you can pickup a cheap out or two. I mean he had given up 2 freaking hits all game and the 2 walks came in the second inning. He’s a big horse and he doesn’t throw hard anyway. The risk is neglible.

Soriano being N/A, plus two guys you don’t trust at all (Pendleton & Carlyle), leaves you just 4 relievers (counting Boone Logan) in the pen for 3 innings, leaving basically no wiggle room.

It turned out OK, but still seems a bit of a waste of an arm that they may need tomorrow or more likely the day after.

• bonestock94 says:

While I don’t oppose the gist of your post, I don’t think fear of correction is a good reason to pull a pitcher. Sometimes pitchers have entire fluke seasons without correction.

• Right, but 90 pitches for a guy who hasn’t pitched all that much is a pretty good reason. Going into the game, I would have signed up for 6 IP no runs in a heartbeat. If Joba doesn’t do his job after that, that’s on him.

• bonestock94 says:

Yea I’m fine with that, I was speaking in general terms. I don’t blame Girardi at all today, Joba and Mo weren’t sharp.

• Poopy Pants says:

Thanks for your expert opinion, keyboard warrior.

4. A-Rod's Wingman says:

Third in points this week in fantasy, Mo and Carmona cost me this week. Also, should I drop Thorton for Capps? I’m leaning yes, I don’t trust Ozzie to use his best reliever as the closer and Joe Nathan lost his job and still looks shell shocked after A-Rod in the 2009 ALDS a la Brad Lidge.

5. pete says:

So the Yankees are pretty good at this hitting home runs thing, huh?

6. First time lawng time says:

Way to blow the save (again) Rivera. Nice job.

7. Someone offered me Kuroda for Dunn in an RAB fantasy league. I don’t want to do it, but still want some pitching help…
    Sometimes thinking about fantasy baseball hurts.

8. Rookie says:

Wow. There’s a shocker. Mike Axisa and others point out that Girardi is overusing Soriana, Mo, and Chamberlain and two of them start to suck and the other one gets a sore back. What a coincidence. Who’d a thunk it?

• Could you link me to anything that has Mike criticizing Girardi for his overuse of Mo, Soriano or Joba? I know he’s not a fan of the “8th inning” role and has complained about Dave Robertson being overused, but I’ve yet to see him gripe about any of the people you’ve mentioned.

BTW-There’s a reason for it. It isn’t true. They haven’t been overused.

• Mike Axisa says:

Oh I complained, maybe not in a post or comment, but I definitely though he was using all three guys too much early on. I know they played a lot of close games, but Girardi’s steadfast refusal to break The Formula and incorporate Robertson in the 7th-8th-9th inning mix to rest some of the others was infuriating, especially since he warmed up every damn game.

• Mike, do you watch the post games and get Girardi’s answers on why he makes the decisions he does? I ask because almost without exception, his answers are more thoughtful and based on more information than the complaints most people make.

I used to 2nd guess him as well, but when I got his side of the story I almost always found him to be in the right, either that night or long term. After a while, I learned to trust him.

• One other thing. When I mentioned relievers not being overused, I was referring to a piece that Mo did a few weeks back.

Check out the Marc Carig quote halfway through the piece. They track everything, including warm ups. Nobody gets overextended.

• Rookie says:

In that case, they’re awful at math — because they’re definitely overusing Joba, Soriano, and Mo. And like Mike Axisa has said, I don’t understand how warming Robertson up almost every game can’t be overuse.

• No, they’re not awful at math, actually you are. Here’s the schedule:

In the 27 days since the season started on March 29th, the Yanks have only played 18 games. Joba and Mo have appeared in 11 games in those 27 days, while Dave Robertson has appeared in just 9. Which comes out to (roughly) 2 days off for every appearance made for all three guys.

So tell me again, how exactly has Robertson (or anyone else) been “overused”?

• Rookie says:

Because you asked, Nostra-Artist,

Joba’s appearances:
                April, 7th, 9th, 10th — three out of four days
                April 14th, 16th, 17th, 19th — four out of five days

Soriano’s appearances:
                April 4th, 5th, 7th — three out of four days
                April 16th, 17th, 19th, 20th — four out of five days
                followed by stiff back and not being available to pitch

Mo’s appearances:
                April 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th — four out of six days
                April 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 19th — five out of seven days
                followed by extremely un-Mo-like ineffectiveness in his next two starts

And I don’t claim to be an expert on the topic, but I echo Mike Axisa’s concern that I suspect having David Robertson warm up to get ready to come into what seemed like every game for awhile takes a toll whether he comes into the game or not.

Also, it’s a long season. Mo hasn’t had more than 66 appearances since 2008. He’s had 11 appearances in the first 10% of 2011’s games in the first 25 days of the season. I don’t think that’s a smart way to use a 42-year old pitcher no matter how much he may have defied Father Time in the past.

Just my opinion…

• bexarama says:

The last time Joba pitched before today was 4/19.

9. pat says:

Manuel let Halladay throw 130 pitches today. Wowsers.

10. Xstar7 says:

Now that the Knicks have been swept out of the postseason, what’s next for them? Trade what’s left of their young core for another superstar with an expiring contract?

11. http://www.fangraphs.com/leade.....#038;ind=0

Stat of the day. For Reds pitcher Edinson Vozquez, 35.3% of his fly balls have left the ballpark.

12. MikeD says:

BTW Did we lose one of the three new weekend writers? I’ve been in and out a little less frequently of late on weekends due to other commitments, so perhaps I’m just missing one by timing.

13. mbonzo says:

I’m in a dynasty league, and I figured I’d put Alexi Ogando on the market since it looks like his LOB% and BABIP are ridiculous right now. I’ve been offered a minors package, headlined by Wilin Rosario. Is Ogando for real? I picked him up thinking he’d be a killer holds guy, and possible saves, but he’s been an amazing 2 pitch starter. Does he keep it up?

• Hurling Darvish says:

I think this is a tough league to be a 2 pitch guy, but he has been pretty good. Let’s see what happens when teams get to see him again. The AL West is the lightest hitting division, especially excluding Texas, the only really good hitting team, so he may be able sustain it.

Also, he’ll be running into some inning pitched issues later on, I would think. Texas is probably thinking that he’ll make the transition from reliever to starter like CJ Wilson, but I’d be worried about a breakdown of some sort.

I see Feliz is on the DL with shoulder immflamtion; I wonder if that had something to do with the attempt to stretch him out to a starter in ST.

• Hurling Darvish says:

I meant inflammation; I botched that one like the O’s entire infield today.

• mbonzo says:

I was always impressed with Ogando as a reliever. Very Rivera like. I didn’t think he would do well moving over to the rotation, and while his FIP, BABIP, LOB% are telling me he’s gonna get worse, he’s kept his WHIP incredibly low his whole career. Even against the Yankees he only gave up a few big hits, and that was his worst outing ever.

14. Pat D says:

Just want everyone to know, in case you missed it, that at the beginning of Baseball Tonight, they showed very brief highlights of a few games. They showed the double that Rivera gave up that tied the game.

Bobby Valentine used that opportunity to say, “All good things must come to an end…is the end here for Mariano Rivera?”

I’ll hang up and let you all discuss.

15. goterpsgo says:

I may be stating the obvious but I want to commend Cashman for buying low again on someone who was given up on but has come back to contribute big time. In ’09 it was Swish, this year it’s Russ Martin.

Is it too soon to call him a True Yankee? :D

16. JohnnyC says:

I’m watching NY1 here in the city and Bud Myshkin just finished the weekend sports update, finishing with highlights from the Yankees-Orioles game. The anchor turned to him and said, with a cheery smile, “how about those Mets?” Bud paused a beat and drily replied, “It’s a long season.”

17. Plank says:

The Captain at his finest. Stay Classy.