Jun

Jeter on pace to rejoin team on Monday

Via Brian Costello, Derek Jeter ramped up his rehab work in Tampa today and is expected to begin a two game rehab assignment with Double-A Trenton this weekend. He would then rejoin the team on Monday in Cleveland. “I feel good now,” said the Cap’n. “I feel a lot better. I’m ready to get out of here.” Jeter has been running the bases and taking batting practice all week. Trenton is home this weekend, so if you want to head to either or both games, you can get tickets here.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. A-Rod's Wingman says:

Sigh…

2. Jonathan Harker says:

Good news only if he accepts a demotion to the 8th or 9th spot in the lineup.

3. Bpdelia says:

Jose reyes ain’t walking though that door and though I dislike jeter he is still a better player than nunez so this is positive

• Angelo says:

You “dislike” Derek Jeter? I’m not even sure if that makes sense…

• Bpdelia says:

Yah it makes sense. I dont go for self absorbed peopke who make it to 37 without an actual meaningful relationship. With no kids. And I dont like people who build tacky mega mansions as altars to their own egos.

I dont like a guy who so badly overvalues his woth. And I dont like a single man living in a 10000000 room mansion.

I consider it an iredeemsble character flaw.

Dont tell me who to like as humans.

He is still better than nunez though and thats all I really care about.

• Bee says:

Oh noz.

A professional athlete stayed single and sowed his oats freely for years instead of getting married young and cheating on his wife on the regular like all the rest of them do.

How entirely unlikeable!

• ultimate913 says:

Jose reyes ain’t walking though that door

At least not through trade, I hope.

• Dino Velvet says:

is still a better player than nunez so this is positive
      ——————————————–
      Jeter is a better fielder, but Nunez is a better hitter.

more importantly, Nunez doesn’t disable the offensive by batting first like the captain.

• Jeter is a better fielder, but Nunez is a better hitter.

Jeter: .297 wOBA, 83 wRC+
        Nuñez: .292 wOBA, 79 wRC+

Not really, no. They’re a wash offensively; Jeter might be a bit better.

• Guest says:

Good point. My one pseudo-counter: we have an incredibly small sample size (two weeks plus a few more starts) of Nunez hitting at this level. We have a very large sample size (1.5 yrs) of Jeter hitting at this level.

So while Jeter’s season numbers give us a pretty good indication of how Jeter will hit the rest of the season, I’m not sure Nunez’ do.

He could be better, he could be worse. I would learn towards thinking Nunez will be better than his current numbers over the course of the season…

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Nuñez a better hitter?

Jeter: .260/.324/.324 .297 wOBA
        Nuñez: .243/.291/.359 .292 wOBA

Not sure what stats you’re looking at. Slightly higher on base %, but I’d take my chances with Jeter over Nuñez any day of the week!

• gc says:

So the offense was “disabled” before Jeter got hurt. Rrrriiiiiiiight…

4. David, Jr. says:

This could get them winning some games.

5. CBean says:

so 3000 with Rays?

6. Dino Velvet says:

Crap.

Just when the team is on a roll, the old man comes back to drain the life out of it.

12-3 without jeter.

• MikeD says:

I know. They’ve been doing great with Jeter, or for that fact Colon and Hughes and Soriano. I don’t want any of these guys back.

Kind of reminds me of when the Yankees had a winning record with A-Rod out of the lineup. Means, well, nothing.

• Guest says:

No, no, TSJC. You’ve got it all wrong. *Sighs in exasperation*

The man we need for 3B is Cody Ransom.

/Ian O’Connor’d

BTW, Does anyone know the backstory behind O’Connor absolutely scrubbing that article of the interwebs? Or is it just that we can’t find any of those old newspaper articles through google because they weren’t archived?

I would love to read that thing again for some giggles, etc.

• David, Jr. says:

If they had a winning record without ARod, that must have been because others stepped up to a huge degree, because ARod always put up major numbers.

A winning record without the current version of Jeter is much different, because a guy with a .324 on base percentage and the power of Romero Pena wasn’t contributing much of anything in the first place.

7. Dalelama says:

Just curious if the comparative offensive stats factor in dp propensities.

8. that guy says:

cant wait to see jeter’s nonexistant range at short. but hey atleast he throws accurately.

9. AaronGuielWithASmile says:

Even if you’re one of the irrational Jeter haters, the captain coming off the DL means that Ramiro Pena never has to hit again.

That’s good news no matter who you think is a “gayboy”

10. Monteroisdinero says:

Does Jeter hit another HR this season? Any more trips to Texas?