Sep

ALDS Notes: Posada, Valdes, A-Rod, Dickerson

The Yankees workout at Yankee Stadium was rained out this afternoon, or rather the workouts on the field were cut short. I’m sure they got their work  in under the stands indoors. They have not yet released their ALDS roster, but bits and pieces have trickled out this afternoon. Let’s recap…

• Joe Girardi said that Jorge Posada, who has had a total of 38 plate appearances over the last 31 days, will be the DH against the Tigers right-handed starters. That’s all four of them. Posada has hit a respectable .269/.348/.466 against righties this year, but I really have a hard time seeing him catching up to the heat Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer will bring. (Mark Hale)
  • Despite rumors that he could earn a postseason job, Raul Valdes will not be on the  roster. There’s really no need for a second lefty because Detroit’s only significant lefty bat is Alex Avila, who has more than held his own against southpaws this season. Valdes will go to Tampa to stay sharp for a potential ALCS role. (David Waldstein)
  • Alex Rodriguez missed last night’s game because of some soreness in his surgically repaired knee, but Girardi said that his third baseman is healthy enough to play tomorrow and remain at third base throughout the postseason. (Chad Jennings)
  • Chris Dickerson will be on the playoff roster, presumably in that fifth outfielder/defensive specialist/pinch-runner role. (Jennings)
  • In case you missed it amidst the craziness last night, Girardi announced that Freddy Garcia will start Game Three behind CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova. Sabathia will start a potential Game Four on three days rest, Nova a potential Game Five on normal rest. A.J. Burnett will work out of the  bullpen.

And finally, MLB announced umpire assignments for the four LDS matchups. Gerry Davis will be the crew chief for the Yankees-Tigers  series, and will be joined by Tony Randazzo, Eric Cooper, Dan Iassogna, Ted Barrett, and Bill Welke.

Categories : Playoffs

1. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Didn’t Posada double off a Verlander 99 mph fastball this year?

2. CountryClub says:

Has TBS said who will be announcing the games?

Not the worst umps in the world.

3. MannyGeee says:

hmmm. Posada vs good fastballs = a whole SHIT TON of ugly swings.

good thing the binder is gonna tell us that a 21 year old hitting machine shouldn’t be starting at DH in the ALDS.

4. BJ says:

Out of curiosity, why does so much information need to be announced so far in advance? Why do teams announce who their playoff starters will be? I could see the argument that it aids in playoff roster construction, but I think it would be roughly the same whether we knew or not.

5. Dennis says:

really, Posada for all 4. Does Joe know these games count now.

6. Stratman9652 says:

How the hell are Joe West and Angel Hernandez umpiring LDS games??? Unreal. At least they aren’t on the same crew.

7. James says:

Jorgie’s “playoff experience” and “veteran leadership” is too valuable to leave on the bench!

8. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

In the good old days the Yankees would bring in old veterans such as Johnny Mize,Enos Slaughter Robin Roberts and others to help at the end of the season and World Series.They would usually help a lot. I am saying this in defense of Jorge Posada who is a proven vet and these men are not scared in tough situations.

• Jorge says:

Enos Slaughter would help on the bench right now. Imagine the element of surprise and distraction when an actual dead person is brought out in the 8th. Valverde may just fist pump himself in the face.

• nsalem says:

When did Robin Roberts pitch for the Yankees? I must have missed this.

• Greg says:

According to baseball reference, he was acquired after the 1961 season from the Phillies, but never pitched a game for them. He went to Baltimore in May of 1962.

• BK2ATL says:

You know what? Posada is definitely a shadow of what he used to be at the plate. But if his performance this month and last, when he NEEDED to step up (after being benched, pinch-hitting HRs), have shown us anything, it should be that he is a man of pride. He still believes that he can contribute, and he certainly has done so, when embarrassed. I look for him to have a big hand in us winning #28.

Montero, Jones, and Chavez will be right on the bench, if needed. I like this Posada decision.

9. Kiersten says:

I don’t know who any of those umpires are. That’s a good thing.

But taking A.J. over Colon? Blahhh.

10. Jorge says:

I can guarantee you that, if the Yankees lose this series, Jorge Posada’s being in the lineup (which, wait for it, HASN’T ACTUALLY HAPPENED YET) will not be in the top three reasons they lost.

Even after the final game of the season, after watching the Red Sox do the most glorious of choke jobs, still finding things to complain about.

11. Charlie says:

How about we leave it all up to the men who got us here.

12. Greg says:

Everyone forgot Montero got hit with a ball yesterday. We dont kne the extent of the injury.

13. Tiny Tim says:

CC should start game 4 on short rest. If we’re up 2-1 we want to win game 4 to avoid Verlander. If we’re down 2-1 we obviously want our best out there to force another ballgame. Good move.

14. 0407pesky says:

Typical classless remark by a Yankee fan; but then again, I would not classify Yankee fans as the brightest bulbs on the earth. Yeah, let’s root for a wife beater while where at it! Where was that oh so venerated “Yankee Pride” last night? It’s a big fallacy-there is no pride (pure and simple). Girardi is just another egomaniac; he fits well with New York. What a bunch of losers! Baltimore dignified the game by playing like professionals. The Yankees disgraced baseball by laying dead.
    Do you actually think players like Dom DiMaggio (whom may I add was 100 percent more of a good man than his brother) , Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, and Lou Gehrig would have laid down and died for 3 games?

I certainly would not be celebrating a sweep by the Tampa Bay Rays. You guys are the next to go.

I’ll check in with you next week when Detroit bombs your Bronx bombers.

No excuses for the Red Sox – they did not deserve to win. What’s your excuse for disgracing professional baseball?

YANKEES ARE THE MOST CLASSLESS TEAM IN SPORTS.

• bobtaco says:

Wait, Manny was playing last night?

• 0407pesky says:

Excuse me, look at the post from the idiot who said it’s great that Manny will get some royalties from Tampa Bay winning what a bunch of losers

• Brian S. says:

It’s too bad the Yankees don’t have class like the 2011 Boston Red Sox, who hit Yankee batters >20 times this season, got into beanball fights with sub .500 teams, had a player divorce their wife with cancer, do bat flips when they hit a home run off a rookie, insult hispanic players, and have a racist fanbase.

• 0407pesky says:

Oh, I am sorry you did have a few truly class players/ men i.,e Gehrig and Maris.

But what did “Yankee Universe” (sorry your attempt at a copy cat phrase to Red Sox Nation has not caught on yet give it up)do- caused Roger Maris to have a medical breakdown because he beat a thug’s record.

• Al says:

HAHA, yea, sure. Go watch the 2004 videos, Mr. Classy.

• Brian S. says:

The Yankees didn’t owe anything to anybody last night. They weren’t going to use any elite relievers two days before the playoffs. The only thing they needed to do was remain healthy, because the last series didn’t mean a damn thing to them. The Red Sox are the biggest chokers in MLB history, and no one to blame but themselves. Your team is the laughingstock of baseball.

• 0407pesky says:

No, your team will always be the laughing stock of baseball…

Gee. 2004 ALDS Dave Roberts does that ring a bell???

• Al says:

What? Kiss the rings, beaaatch.

• Jorge says:

Bringing up 2004: A true sign of desperation. Move on, buddy. Both teams have won championships since, and this is honestly one chapter in a much longer history. Rest up, take your meds, and you’ll be in a better mood come pitchers and catchers reporting next season.

• pat says:

It was the ALCS. Thanks for playing.

• Brian S. says:

Uh, does yesterday ring a bell? What about 2009 when your team was swept and watched the Yankees win a chamionship? How about not winning a playoff game since 2008?

• Dave B says:

I wonder if Drew or even Crawford would have been better in the 5 hole than a rookie catcher who has played a handful of games in the biggest game of the year? Turn your bitterness to your manager, my brother.

• Ed says:

Red Sox fan logic

Yankees lose last game of season, saving best players for playoff game in under 48 hours.

Red Sox lose 20 of 27 games in September, blowing biggest September lead in baseball history.

Ergo, Yankees have disgraced professional baseball.

I get it! Makes total sense!

• Jorge says:

I’m still looking for where the class remark he’s referring to was.

For all his references to Dom, Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, this is still sounds like the response of a 10 year-old who just began watching baseball this season and doesn’t realize that teams that CLINCHED THEIR DIVISION ALREADY correctly focus on lining their team up for the postseason in those final games over playing their “A+” lineup or pitchers and that. If you’re going to need Mariano and DRob, potentially, for three days straight starting on Friday, hell no, they are not pitching on Wednesday.

The only disgrace here was the $200 million payroll who only bothered to play the middle, and not the start or end, of the regular season. Stick your Pesky Pole in that.

• 0407pesky says:

Remark right here from “Tubby”

Tubby says:
        September 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm
        My favorite part of the Sox collapse is that Manny Ramirez is now going to get a playoff share and possibly a ring.

How many championships has your 200 million payroll brought you in the past decade?? Case closed.

The laugh is on all of you…..just checking your blog for the afternoon has reassured me that Red Sox fans are the most intelligent in baseball. What a pathetic blog site.

I WILL ENJOY WATCHING DETROIT TROUNCE YOU

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

I WILL ENJOY WATCHING DETROIT TROUNCE YOU

Well, you’ll have to watch our team, since your team will be playing golf instead of play-off baseball.

Oh, and blaming God for not making the post season? Now that’s classy!!!

• Xstar7 says:

You’re a pretty sad person, venting your frustrations on a Yankees blog after the Red Sox just completed one of the worst choke jobs in history. Get help.

• nsalem says:

The Yankees may very well be the next to go however the Yankees did not lay down in any of these games. They have an obligation to be competitive but Girardi’s greater obligation is to have his players well rested for the playoffs. They did not use their best pitchers last night and they didn’t do it against the Red Sox on Sunday night either. Stupid comments on this board do happen but they are not the general rule. Yankee fans do tend to root against the ReeSox but the same can be said for most Sox fans. I understand you being angry but it wasn’t the Yankees that cost your team a shot at the playoffs.

• 0407pesky says:

Check my post – Red Sox fans admit when we do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

What nonsense his players have to be “well rested”. They get paid enough to play in EVERY GAME. I would think the most overrated player of all time (geri jeter-yes that is what my brother calls him – get it) and his sidekick A-Rod should be very well rested. How many games has A-Rod played in the last month?? Did Jeter enjoy his All Star break holiday…DISGRACEFUL

• Jorge says:

You’re able to speak as much for all Red Sox fans as I am able to speak for Yankee fans, meaning that neither one of us are able to.

With A-Rod’s injury, Jeter’s All-Star controversy, etc., you’re just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Your team choked and missed the playoffs. The good news is that they’ll be undefeated on Opening Day next year. Rest up.

• 0407pesky says:

Oh no, Suzy Waldman has a breakdown over Roger Clemens and Joe Torre. Francesa can’t even stand Sterling and Waldman

• Jorge says:

Nothing to do with my point but, please, feel free.

• 0407pesky says:

Nothing to do with your point…did you not just post the following;

“The one tangible example I can give of where you’re wrong is your friend Shaunessy last night assuming victory in the 8th inning. Call them what you want, but you’d never hear that kind of crap from Sterling, Waldman, or Kay. YCPB, Susyn.”

OMG….there could be a library of faux pas that Sterling and Waldman have made in their careers. You can bet they won’t be in the Baseball Hall of Fame like Curt Gowdly.

Oh sorry typo error – Gowdy

• Jorge says:

Your attention to detail is duly noted.

I was speaking as to the specific incident of Shaunnessy counting his chickens before they hatched on national TV. For all their antics, no, I don’t think you’d ever catch Waldman or Sterling doing that. Too superstitious. Too against the YCPB edict. You generalized my statement. I never said they were beacons of consistency.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Francesa can’t even stand Sterling and Waldman

———————

But yet he always has them on his show.

• nsalem says:

No they get paid to play as their manager sees fit. I guess this is as good a place as any to express your disappointment.

• Alberto says:

Disgraceful was Carl Crawford attempting to catch the Andino liner. Disgraceful was Papplebon throwing meatballs to 8 and 9 hitters last night. Disgraceful was Adrian Gonzalez’ post -season interviews.
          I know you want to hate on Jeter and Arod right now, but the fact is that the Yankees will line up against Detroit at the YS tomorrow and I will be watching along with my Yankee buddies, you will be hating like a jelous girlfriend, bitter, lonely, angry with a long long winter ahead….
          (And whats with geri-jeter joke, is it some sort of racist thing, mr.class?)

• johnnybk says:

About to break commenting rules in three…two…one

you’re an idiot. go away.

• Jerome S. says:

Is that famous Bostonian syphilis infecting your mind, too?

• Pat D says:

Hey, sour grapes, where’s the “classless remark?”

Right here from Tubby

Tubby says:
        September 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm

• Pat D says:

Wow. We seem to have different definitions of “classless.”

• 0407pesky says:

Guess so…..being happy for a wife beater is really classy

• 0407pesky says:

Didn’t Joe Torre start a foundation for domestic abuse victims? Oh, maybe he thinks the comment is classy too? Doubt it

• Xstar7 says:

Nobody feels happy for Ramirez. The situation is just very ironic.

You, 0407pesky, are the epitome of Red Sox fans. You’re gritty, you’re gutty, you’re an underdog, and you post comments on blogs the right way. Peter Gammons would be proud.

• MannyGeee says:

He jumps before he posts his comments… That’s how he stays alert and on his toes… Truly gritty!

• 0407pesky says:

Well, let’s just say my father might be proud (or maybe not) I am not a guy. I am a wife, mother, and daughter to one of the greatest Red Sox fans who ever lived – my father. I was blessed to have the most humble, selfless, family-oriented father one could ever hope for. He also loved the game of baseball. He did not live to see the Sox win a World Series as he died from a stroke in Jan 04 at the age of 76. He was drafted by the Phillies after playing college baseball in Texas. He did not make the cut but he played with heart and intensity. My father had a tough life but he never complained.

During summers, beginning at the age of 6, he would take a train from eastern CT to NY to visit his aunt who lived in the Bronx. He would walk to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees play. He was a Red Sox fan but he was also a baseball fan. He saw all the great players from the 30′s, 40′s, etc. You’ll be pleased to know that he thought Mickey Mantle had more raw baseball talent than anyone he ever saw play. My sister and I sat behind the Red’s dugout for the first game of the 1975 World Series. My father should have been in one of those seats with a friend but he decided to give the seats to his daughters. How many father’s would do that? I love baseball and the history of baseball because of my father. I am a diehard Red Sox fan and; yes, I absolutely detest the Yankees. In my opinion, Joe Giradi showed no respect for the game last night. No surprise to Red Sox fans. Sorry, I am not the only one who feels this way. He was OK with Proctor throwing out his arm until the Ray’s won?? Not a good reflection on him. Well, it’s been fun but I really don’t appreciate the vulgar language of some bloggers. You should try to clean it up.

To put it all in perspective, my hero is not David Ortiz, Pabelbon, Pedroia, or Beckett,etc. My dad is my hero.

The good news is my grandfather was a Detroit fan. GO TIGERS.

One last parting shot…..

Knute Rockne had it all wrong you don’t go out there to win win win. Go out there to lose lose lose just ask Joe Girardi and Company.

It is what it is.

• Adam Parker says:

I don’t recall you coming here to complain when Proctor was in against the Sox and Jacoby homered off him.

• Pat D says:

You know what? I can see your point. I forgot about that already.

Trust me, I have no love for Manny whatsoever. I have to think that the person who posted that meant it in a more ironic fashion based upon how Manny just up and quit and that he used to be with the Sox and all that. I don’t think he really feels good for Manny.

But, again, I will say you have a point.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Disgracing baseball by starting their regulars?

• Jorge says:

I’m so sad he’s gone. Just like his favorite lice-infected team.

• Jerome S. says:

You’re actually a disgrace to Red Sox fans, many (ok, a few) of whom I know to be sane and intelligent people.

15. theyankeewarrior says:

Sucks that DET has no LH starters. Our lineup is mush better vs. southpaws.

16. Jorge says:

Hopefully, what I’m hearing from Bill Simmons on Kay right now is just straight satire.

17. Johnny O says:

Does anyone have a link for the full post season roster?

• Heisenberg says:

“They have not yet released their ALDS roster”

-Mike Axisa

My guess is they don’t need to be released until sometime before game time tomorrow.

18. Pat D says:

So long as Chad Fairchild, Doug Eddings, Dana DeMuth and Kerwin Danley don’t umpire any postseason games.

19. Rainbow Connection says:

Can someone explain why Freddie Garcia is pitching game three?

20. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

Sorry about the Robin Roberts gaffe. My memory is not what it used to be. But how about Bob Kuzava and Bobby Shantz. Although we lost the 60WS it was no fault of Shantz who pitched well in relief and we should have won if Stengel had pitched Ford or Shantz in the first game. And Kuzava helped win a series against the Dodgers in 52 or 53 Icannot recall which. The thing is that these vets produce unde stressful conditions.

21. Heisenberg says:

Romine
    Ayala
    Colon
    Noesi

Anyone else?

22. Jesse says:

Man, I thought the Red Sox trolls come out when the playoff games are being played, not a day before they start. But, I’m not surprised they are out to be honest since they completed the greatest choke in MLB History, they just wanna ruin the fun. Fuck them.

• nsalem says:

You said they were a “lock” to win 6 out of 7 from the Orioles. What Happened?

• Dave203 says:

I still think the Mets blowing it in 2007 was worse than this Sox collapse. With 17 games left, the Mets led the division by 7 games! The Sox were only up 3 at the same point and already 4 games out of the division. Surprisingly, they both had the same record for their final 17 games — 5-12 (.294). Both ugly, but I think the Mets blowing their lead was worse.

• Jorge says:

Mets were worse. Blew the division and WC in one fell swoop. That was painful, though. The Sox? More fun than a barrel of Dustin Pedroia’s beard lice.

• Jesse says:

Nah, this one is greater. This team was supposed to unseat the ’27 Yankees as greatest team ever. The Mets are the Mets. Not surprised.

23. Favrest says:

I appreciate everything Jorge has accomplished as a Yankee but giving him the nod over a player that has been a difference maker is the same kind of shit that Torre pulled when he started Sheffield at 1B in 06. Go w the better player, or the rest of the team will suffer.

24. David N says:

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to give Joe West a crew chief position in a playoff series? Poor Milwaukee and Arizona – you just know someone’s going to get screwed in that one.