Sep

Mo on 602

Categories : Players

1. RRRRRRandy says:

In honor of Mo, I plan on going to his steakhouse (Mo’s New York Grill) in New Rochelle and eating some steak. It’s not great steak, but it feels like the right thing to do.

Congrats Mariano.

2. Jesus Freak says:

If Mo steps up his game, he could be as good as Casey Kelly.

3. U Thant says:

I was at Opening Day 1997 when he blew a save against the A’s and McGwire. I turned to my cousin and said, in a fit or frustration, “This guy won’t be the closer for long.”

As my cousin and I have recalled throughout the years, I couldn’t be any more thrilled to have been wrong that day.

Congratulations Mo.

4. FIPster Doofus says:

Class act.

5. Brian says:

100% class (as usual). It’s so great to see such a humble man- especially after watching football all day yesterday, where WRs celebrate after every 8 yard reception. It has been a true honor to be able to watch the greatest pitcher in history. I can’t wait to see 700.

6. Tom Zig says:

The closest ones to Mo are really K-Rod and Papelbon. K-Rod is over 300 away, and Papelbon is like 380+ away

7. Tom Zig says:

If Mo has another 40 save season next year, I wonder if he’ll stick around for another 2 years to get to 700.

8. Kiersten says:

“You know me better than that.”

Haha, pretty much exactly what I was thinking when she asked that question.

9. Tom Zig says:

I honestly didn’t think Mo would set the record this year. 43 saves seemed like a lot for a 42 year old. I expected him to set it in April of next season. But he keeps on proving us wrong.

10. Rey22 says:

The legend.

11. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I have watched many MLB games. I can remember the yanks losing to the Milwaukee Braves way back when as a young boy. Being a Yankee fan I have seen some of baseball’s best both for and against. I don’t think anyone can say for certain who was the very best pitcher, ever. But I think we can all say the Mariano Riveria is and will be the very best closer ever in our lifetime and beyond. The man has one or two pitches that baffles and defies logic for its ability to beat hitter after hitter. The batter knows its going two places in relationship to the plate inside or outside. The high strike in baseball is relatively removed from existence by the umpires so every pitch is from the kees up to the belt and still contact is practically non existent.

But the ability that I admire about MO is his humbleness. The man is thankful for everything in his life. How fortunate that us Yankee fans got to witness the greatest closer ever to pitch just like some got to see the Babe.

I hope when Mo decides to hang-up the spikes. He goes out on his terms, still on top of his game.

12. Kiko Jones says:

I don’t recall ever rooting for the Yankees to ground into a double play. But today, in the bottom of the 8th, I hoped Swisher would. He did. And…

Like many Yankee fans I am in denial about the day when Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” will no longer accompany Mo’s familiar trot to the mound and the almost assured outcome. In the meantime, props to Mo, a humble giant and my second fave Yankee of all time. Gracias por todo, caballero.

13. teddy says:

yanks gotta mo on this homestand, i hope

14. teddy says:

honor mo on this homestand

15. Alibaba says:

Mo is the greatest relief pitcher of all time. Some people might bring up the pre-save days when relief pitchers routinely had to pitch multiple innings. Mo would have been successful in that role as well. In fact, he has pitched multiple innings many times early in his career.

Plus, what a class act. I feel lucky to have watched him is entire career.

16. deron says:

Even though the save is an overrated stat, Mariano is still an all-time great pitcher. His numbers aside from saves are remarkable. He also has broken the all-time record while still currently the best at his position. The only guy I know that did that was Jerry Rice when he broke the all-time receiving yards record.