Sep

Pitching plans after the rain out

Friday night’s rain out against the Red Sox threw a bit of a wrench into the Yankees pitching plans, but nothing major. Let’s recap what Joe Girardi said both before and after the postponement was announced…

• Freddy Garcia was supposed to start tonight, and he’ll simply be pushed back to Saturday. That means A.J. Burnett and Ivan Nova will start during Sunday’s doubleheader, but your guess on the order is as good as mine.
  • Phil Hughes played catch today and will throw a bullpen session tomorrow. If all goes well, he and his inflamed back will start one of the final three games of the season in Tampa. I’m guessing it would be Tuesday, so they could see how he feels on Wednesday and Thursday before having to make a final decision about the ALDS roster.
  • CC Sabathia will throw a simulated game before Sunday’s doubleheader, his final tune-up before Game One of the ALDS next Friday.
Categories : Pitching

1. Jesse says:

Still really hoping Hughes’ bullpen session goes well tomorrow, so he can start in Tampa and hopefully start in the playoffs. It would be HUGE for him if he can get healthy and start in the playoffs and pitch well. It would most definitely salvage this nightmare of a season for him for sure.

2. BigBlueAL says:

At least Burnett will still be in line to start Game 2 of the ALDS :-)

3. Jesse says:

Quick question, how come there wasn’t a series preview for this series against the Red Sox? Just curious, I enjoy the series previews a lot and I think it’s a very underrated series of pieces you guys do here.

• mbonzo says:

My guess, quite a few regular posts happened to fall on today. On top of that, this series is hard to preview when rosters and probable pitchers were hardly set today. (Now we know a bit, obviously)

4. OldYanksFan says:

2 weeks ago I was pretty sure it was CC, Nova, Freddie and Bart. While Freddie and Bart have looked bad lakely, what’s the alternative? I guess Phil in the 6th inning guy and AJ is long man?

• Jesse says:

No. Phil will start in Tampa, dominate, and start in the playoffs. Colon in the bullpen, Aj off the roster.

• MannyB ace2be says:

I truly believe if colon gets 10-14 days off he can give us one or two good starts

• Ian Kennedy says:

No preview because the RAB bloggers didn’t want to hear anymore complaints from “Jesse” about Cashmans inability to produce homegrown pitching talent.

• The Grandy Man says:

Even John Sterling acknowledges how each franchise benefited in the 3-team deal that landed the Yanks a 40+ HR CF, who happens to also be in the top 5 in more than a few offensive categories; But Cashman cant produce a legit pitching prospect right? I’m loving the new regime he has going for this franchise. Either way it’s a double edged sword. He trades prospects, “Yanks have no patience for the kids”. He holds onto them, “Yanks have too much patience with kids”. Even on a blog on the Internet it’s so easy to spot a person who has never competed in athletic sports and will never understand the level these guys are at.

Keep nitpicking. Now if only Cashman could oversee the new contract for the AM radio broadcast. “Jesse” suggests Ruben Rivera & Deion Sanders take over the broadcast if Cashman decides because there legit homegrown talent that Cashman could never produce.

• Bob Watson says:

How ironic it will be if Cashman doesn’t resign with Yankees & the next GM that comes along makes bad decisions & everyone complains & says “oh man I wish we still had Cashman…”. Inevitability; so predictable the majority of Yankee fans. Clueless IMO. Sterling says he will be publish “Brianball” after the smash hit Moneyball.
                /sarcasm #truth /WTF

• Jesse says:

That’s funny, tell me one elite homegrown starting pitching prospect the Yankees have on their roster right now that was drafted by Cashman, who in fact has been GM for 13 years.

It’s funny how easy it is to spot someone on the internet who thinks they know these things about their favorite team but in fact doesn’t really know it all. It’s pretty comical.

Keep trying, “The Grandy Man”.

• Jesse says:

Ian Kennedy, what are you doing on a Yankees blog? You were a disaster with the Yankees, go over to the D’backs blog or something…

• Jesse says:

Btw, that was a reply fail. You tried to reply to my question above this one on why there was no series preview. Nice one.

• Urban says:

Ron Guidry?

Garcia hasn’t been sharp, but he’s a feel pitcher. He’s one of the horses that got them there so they have to keep riding him. I’m not worried about Freddie any differently than I have been all season. I actually thought he was a decent pickup from the start. When he’s on his game (as he has been for most of his starts), he will give a quality showing. If his command is off, he’ll get hit hard. There’s not much in between. Over the past two seasons, he’s given a quality start about seventy percent of the time. We’ve been seeing a regression lately, on both his quality starts and HR rate, but there’s no reason he can’t go out and be great in the postseason. Let’s hope so. The Yankees are going to need him.

5. Urban says:

Any idea/guesses on why they’re having CC throw a simulated game on Sunday? I understand their plan to restrict his pitches, but why not have him do it in read game circumstances. They might even be able to help him nail down his 20th. Have AJ start one of the games, and then bring CC in to pitch the 5th-7th innings. He gets three innings of work in against real hitters, and he just might end up with a win out of it.

6. Cuso says:

Better watch out for a ‘representative’ start from AJ on Sunday.

If he pitches well against the Sox, you know it will fool Girardi/Cash into bringing him as the #4 starter.

Not looking for it to happen, but just pointing out the inevitable flawed decision.

• Cuso says:

change the word “looking” in my original post to “calling”

It makes more sense in the sentiment i was trying to convey.

• SamVa says:

I am so fearful of this. I feel like he’s going to go out and throw like 7 shut out innings and strike out 12 and then be handed a start in the playoffs. I like AJ a lot, but I may, wait for it… cheer for the sox to light him up. I would feel a lot more comfortable.

7. Ro says:

Hey all- Check out Kevin Kernan’s post at the NYPost this AM. It is exactly what I said on here yesterday. At this point, I can’t see how you don’t give AJ the ball for game 3.

8. pat says:

Hector Noesi for Game 3 starter.