Sep

Sabathia will not start again during regular season

Via Jack Curry, CC Sabathia will not make another start during the regular season. The Yankees ace left-hander is likely to throw a simulated game on Sunday, which will line him up for Game One of the ALDS next Friday. I guess this means Hector Noesi will make another start, and I approve of that. Sabathia won’t get a second consecutive 20-win season, but so be it. The playoffs are far more important.

Categories : Asides, Pitching, Playoffs

1. Brian S. says:

Why don’t they just have him start on short rest against Boston? And why are they playing Jeter, Teixeira, and Swisher today? I guess they WANT Boston in the playoffs.

2. Jesse says:

Who woulda thought. This is how they’d cut down their 6 man rotation! You just can’t predict baseball!!

/SarcasmDetectorMustBeOn

3. yobo says:

His next start would be on Monday. It makes sense.

4. Jorge says:

I look forward to the site exploding when Betances doesn’t get a start by season’s end.

5. Kiersten says:

I don’t like this. CC is always weird when he starts after extended rest.

• D-Rob's Great Escape says:

Well sometimes the teams do a tuneup outing out of the pen or something on their normal day and only throw 60 pitches or so the Yanks did something similar with CC when they won the WS he just started with a pitch limit, I guess they figure a simulated game where he throws piches is the same as that so he’s not really getting “extra” rest.

• Jorge says:

He once ate a mayonnaise sandwich inside-out after being rested an extra day.

6. Jacob says:

I don’t think anyone really expects him to start a game this year. But I will throw a totally unjustifiable tantrum should he not pitch at all.

7. Tyrion Lannister says:

So CC knew it was his last shot at 20 Ws and that’s why he wanted to finish. Joe should have let him go if he wasn’t going to start again until next Friday.

• steve (different one) says:

Didn’t he do exactly that? How much longer should he have gone? He’s already been criticized here for leaving him in as long as he did…

8. Jesse says:

Off Topic:
    I saw on the Ticker on YES Network that Hughes is unlikely to make another start this season, is there truth to that story?

9. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

He can’t win 20 games? BUST!!!

10. Eric says:

I could see Joe giving CC a relief appearance on a throw day if he has a chance to vulture a win (pull an Aceves). Admittedly this is not a very likely possibility, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened.

11. Paulies Favorite Water Cooler says:

Granted the big fellow usually pitches worse with extra rest but maybe this is what he needs right now. He has pitched so many innings over the past few seasons. I don’t see how this can be anything but good….. Fingers crossed

12. KeithK says:

Pitchers don’t usually like to go 9 days between starts. I’ve heard plenty of anecdotal complaints to this effect. And this move will look silly if my dream scenario plays out – three way tiebreaker for the AL wildcard pushing the first game of the playoffs back to 1 Oct.

13. Kevin says:

DOubled edged sword IMO, but running him into the ground won’t help either.