Oct

Eight Yankees file for free agency as offseason begins

The 2011-2012 free agency period officially started at 12:01am ET this morning, and eight Yankees have filed for free agency: Luis Ayala, Eric Chavez, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones, Damaso Marte, Sergio Mitre, and Jorge Posada. Free agents can talk to other teams right now, but they can not receive any offers until 12:01am ET this coming Thursday. Adam Rubin has the full and official list of free agents as supplied by the players’ union.

The 40-man roster is now at 35, but Colin Curtis still needs to be activated off the 60-day DL.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. OldYanksFan says:

I don’t know what Colon is asking for, but I think it’s nuts not to talk to him. I would say the same for Freddie, but I think Freddie is worth a lot more on the open market and will command a decent contract.

Colon pitched 164 innings to a slightly better then league average ERA. My guess is someone else with those numbers would get at least $5m? But becasue of Bart’s circumstances (age, history, suspect health treatment), I think he get’s less? What’s he worth as a FA? And isn’t he worth that to us?

2. Plank says:

Speaking of the 40 man, who are the interesting names that are newly rule 5 eligible and need to be protected?

• Mike Axisa says:

Phelps and Mitchell are the two remaining no-brainers. Romine and Kontos had to be added, but they were in September.

• THU says:

Manny Banuelos. He’s a future fixture in the rotation. He was in Triple-A at the end of this year. Should really be beast or so I’m hoping.

• hogsmog says:

TELL ME MORE!

• Tom O says:

Banuelos is a beast but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t need to be protected because he’s not eligible for the Rule V this year. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone, but since he was signed before he was 18, and has only been in the farm system for 4 seasons, he would first be eligible for the Rule V in 2013. Of course hopefully be dominating in the big league rotation by then.

3. UYF1950 says:

Just a thought on the 8 FA’s listed. Marte and Mitre if there is a God in heaven will not step foot in the Bronx again, except if they are pitching for another team. Posada has obviously been a very valuable piece of the Yankees for years but father time has caught up with him. It’s time for him to retire. He’s really only viable as a specialty left handed DH and for at most $2M on another team. It’s time for the Yankees to give a young player (Montero) a shot. Chavez and Jones could conceivably be back if they are willing to accept roles and money similar to what they had in 2011. Ayala performed probably better than anyone expected but the journeyman pitcher probably doesn’t have a spot in the pen in 2012 for the Yankees. He should be able to hook up with another team. That just leaves Colon and Garcia. I think it’s fair to say without those 2 the Yankees never would have made the post season. I think both those players will receive offers from other teams for more then the Yankees are willing to “guarantee” them. But if not there may be a spot for one or the other but not both. Just my thoughts.

• OldYanksFan says:

If one ‘assumes’ that Jesus is BUC some 40 games, then it might make sense to DH ARod those games and have Chavez play 3rd (if we resign him, of course). He could also DH on the dozen+ games that Jesus sits altogether.

Has Chavez every played 1B? If we let Posada man 1B, maybe Chavez could do that also. And of course, when ARod sits altogether, Chavy is at 3rd. My point is (especially if Chavy could play 1B a tiny bit), might we offer him about 200 ABs?

I think he’ll take a bench role (who would sign him as a primary position player?), but thre are bench guys who rarely see action and bench guys that actually contribute. I don’t think he will resign with the Yankees if he doesn’t think he will get much more than 100 ABs.

Last year he got 160… pretty good considering he was injured.
      If he could play 1st, he coud spell Teix a dozen games, ARod pretty often, and a bit for Jesus… and be an important member of the team.

Am I dreaming?

• UYF1950 says:

OYF – I think Chavez has only played 1B about 5 or so games his entire career. I don’t think 175 AB’s are out of the question. Keeping in mind some of his at bats last year came when A-Rod was hurt although Chavez did miss some time at the same time A-Rod was out of the line up. I think the biggest issue with Chavez is, is that he has expressed a desire or at least an inclination to “retire”. I think if he decides to play the Yankees will certainly be his 1st preference. That’s just my opinion.

4. Colin says:

what happens if a player DOESN’T file for free agency? they cant sign with another team? have to stay on current team? forced to retire?

• Plank says:

I would think they are still under team control, and either they would go to arbitration, or more likely, they would play for whatever the team wanted to pay them (the minimum.)

• UYF1950 says:

I don’t think so. All of those 8 players mentioned contracts expired with the Yankees in this case after the World Series ended. The Yankees have to offer those players arbitration. If they are offered arbitration and accept then they accept the decision of the arbitrator on salary if they decline the arbitration offer from the team they are as the name implies Free Agents.

• Plank says:

I mean if the Yankees offer arbitration, the player automatically goes. If not, the player and team try to iron out a deal and the player either accepts it or retires, just like in the pre FA days.

• UYF1950 says:

Plank, a player who is a free agent like the one’s mentioned in the piece do not have to accept arbitration from the team. The only players that are obligated to accept arbitration are those players with 4 to 6 years of MLB service or the Super 2′s as they are know.

• Plank says:

The whole question was about players who do not declare free agency. I can’t envision a scenario when a player wouldn’t declare, but the results for them wouldn’t be good if they didn’t.

The team offering arbitration are as small as the player not declaring free agency. The chance of both is zero, but within the current (soon to be expired) CBA, those are the possible outcomes.

5. Erica says:

There was some silly article in today’s Daily News predicting where the free agents were landing and one of the predictions was that Jorge would go to the Orioles.

Erm.

In other news, it was really confusing waking up after dreaming that the Yankees won the 2012 World Series and realizing that hasn’t happened yet.

6. viridiana says:

can the Yankees still offer arbitration to Garcia? Seems to me like they should. if he declines, they get draft pick, if he accepts, they’re probably not on the hook for all that much considering his low salary last year.

• Plank says:

The arbitration offer deadline hasn’t occurred yet. I’m guessing they will offer. I would be he will get something like $8-9MM.

• Tom says:

I think Yankees will offer him arbitration… I think he is projected to just barely qualified for Type B status so offering arbitration is a win/win (they either get him on a 1 year deal or get a sandwich pick if he goes elsewhere).

7. smurfy says:

I hope the Yanks will sign both Garcia and Colon, and enlist them to instruct as well as pitch. Each should be counted on for a good 150 innings, and to stand down when it’s time to bring a young pitcher in for a few starts.

8. Yanks29 says:

Why does everyone want Colon and Garcia back? Your asking for trouble the 2nd time around. Let’s say CC resigns, and the Yanks get Darvish or Wilson, that means you’ll only need to replace one more person so why not Jackson or Oswalt on a one year deal, maybe 2 at max. Why not upgrade while you can

9. AC says:

I agree. It’s been fun let em both walk.