Oct

Open Thread: A goodbye to Bald Vinny

I met Vinny Milano (a.k.a. Bald Vinny) for the first time earlier this year, but I doubt he remembers me. Apparently people introduce themselves all game long. Vinny, in case you don’t know, runs a Yankees-related clothing line and also leads the Roll Call at Yankee Stadium. You all know what that is, I assume. He announced yesterday that he will not return to the bleachers next season because of married life and fatherhood, real life stuff. The Yankees never bothered to get involved with his business (either through licensing or something else), so it had to come to an end. The Roll Call was around long before Bald Vinny was and it’ll continue to be around long after he’s gone, but it’s just sad to see another piece of the Yankee Stadium experience fade away. The place just won’t sound the same in the top of the first.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The Tigers and Rangers resume the ALCS at 8pm ET on FOX, and that’s it for sports tonight (aside from two non-local NHL games). Talk about whatever you like here, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

Theo is on the “cusp” of leaving Boston. Epic win.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

According to MLBTR, Boston would require “something real” as compensation were he to leave. I do believe Carlos Zambrano would qualify as something actually real. :)

• BK2ATL says:

Do we get credit for both Francona and Epstein “losing” their jobs???

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I wish that “Tito” was still there, hes a crap manager. They won in 04 and 07 with the top talent and in spite of their manager. Sorta like Uncle Chalie in Philly and to some degree Senior Snooze Joe Torre for the Yanks (although he is a better baseball man than both of the other two but that is not saying much)

2. Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

I spent my afternoon listening to the Nick Swisher album that quietly dropped today on Spotify. Anyone else listen yet?

It’s a charity album. Well-intentioned classic rock covers with a bunch of kids as background singers. A better version of Bowie’s “Heroes” than you’d expect, but most of it is pretty hilarious.

• Pat D says:

I heard portions of it on iTunes a few months ago. Sounded enjoyable enough. I thought it was interesting that he did a cover of John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”

• Slu says:

I did not know this existed until you posted. And good for him for doing something fun for charity, but it is pretty hilarious. Proud Mary is something else.

3. Craig says:

Is anyone as excited for this new Batman movie as I am?

4. Jesse says:

So it looks like Theo is going to the Cubs. Now they don’t have a manager OR Gm. Awesomeness.

5. Andy says:

I really fucking hate Wally Matthews. He’s worst than the NY Daily News with the obvious Alex hate:

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Just stop reading his articles. They don’t deserve your page view.

• Andy says:

I just don’t understand why ESPN keeps him around. You would think the biggest sports network in the world would have the resources to recruit more talented and insightful writers. And the whole “ARod sucks, causes drama, is a self absorbed etc” theme is so played out at this point, I can’t beleive ESPN still considers it newsworthy. I love that “ARod being ARod he found himself to be the last out” line, as if somehow he intentionally made that happen.

• Pat D says:

You also gotta love his Twitter pics. First he put Colon’s head on the Hamburgler. Now he’s got Girardi’s head on Mr. Spock. I’m not sure what he’s trying to say with that one.

But he’s clearly a vindictive prick who likes to belittle others.

6. A-Rod's Wingman says:

So over at Fangraps Mike Newman said that Ivan Nova should be a fifth starter in the NY market in his latest chat. I, for one, think this is complete bullshit. Not that I think Nova’s a two or anything, but if Ivan Nova keeps this up there’s nothing wrong with having him as your third best starter.

• Tom Zig says:

I think you’re misinterpreting what he said. I believe he meant that Ivan Nova should the Yankees 5th starter, not that he is a 5th starter. Meaning that the Yankees should have higher standards.

7. kenthadley says:

Phils looking for a closer. How about Soriano? Not sure what he’d bring, but I imagine a team like Philly would be interested.

8. Jake LaMotta's Left Hook says:

Maybe we will see a trade between Cashman and Epstein if he joins the cubs!

Too bad that the Cubs already have a shortstop in Castro, Epstein won’t have to struggle there =(

• BK2ATL says:

Hindsight is 20/20….but this dude in our lineup….with Cano….oh, the dreams….

“If the Yankees want Miguel Cabrera to succeed Alex Rodriguez as their third baseman, it’s going to cost them.

Brian Cashman met with the Marlins at about 6 p.m. last night at the GM meetings. No offers were made, but a source with knowledge of the situation said the Marlins made it clear that the Yankees would have to include either Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain or Ian Kennedy in any trade for Cabrera, something the Yankees are not willing to do.

The Yankees would likely offer a deal involving their next tier of prospects, which includes Alan Horne, Humberto Sanchez, Ross Ohlendorf and Jose Tabata.

“The Marlins have evidently let it be known that he’s available, so we’re looking into it,” Hank Steinbrenner said. “But everything is really very preliminary.””

• Jesse says:

Yeah, of course hindsight is 20/20 but just think, if that trade was made, the Yankees wouldn’t have to worry about A-Rod’s ridiculous contract, especially with A-Rod being eight years older than Cabrera. And when Cabrera was traded to the Tigers he signed an 8-year, $152.3 million deal, so I’m sure if he was traded to the Yankees he’d sign that kind of deal which is very, very manageable for the Yankees. Also, they’d probably have to move Cabrera to first base after 2008 because of Giambi, and then acquire a new third baseman, say a trade for Adrian Beltre who was with the M’s at the time, no?

Also, if Cashman played his cards right he could have traded say Joba and a combo of those four second tier prospects for Cabrera and would still have IPK and Austin Jackson to trade for Granderson.

Sure hindsight is 20/20 and I won’t bash Cashman because the trade wasn’t made, but damn. I am drooling over the possibilities.

• Pat D says:

Considering what the Marlins ended up taking for Cabrera (and Willis, for that matter), seems to be a bit of a blunder.

In hindsight, of course.

• Sarah says:

The great news is the Yankees don’t need Miggy to play 3B because ARod is signed until the end of time.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

yeah but they would have moved Alex to RF

• Jesse says:

Don’t know if you’re joking or not, but I’ll go as far as guaranteeing that A-Rod wouldn’t be back if that trade happened.

• Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

It was a joke buddy.

• MannyGeee says:

Funny, because you’re kidding, but only kinda.

If Miggy is under contract with the Yankees in 2007′, there is no way in holy fucking hell A Rod opts out. Because NO ONE offers a corner infielder on the wrong side of 30 a $30M per season contract, no matter how close they are to 600 homers or 3000 hits.

Unless he’s a Steinbrenner of course, in which case you do it twice.

9. Erica says:

I’ll be sad to see Bald Vinny go. He was a part of the experience, but it’s understandable that he has to move on.

Do you guys think the Yankees should have gotten involved in licensing his products at all?

• Sarah says:

It does seem odd to me the no one has tried to capitalize on what Vinny has done, but I guess part of that is the economy of the last few years. Also, I guess his stuff doesn’t really fit the Yankee image.

It is too bad that he’s moving on, but he, like the rest of us, has to make a living.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I am no fan of the bleacher creatures. I have sat out there before during some big games ALCS and the like and I find them to be crude vile and a good portion of those folks say same stuff to opposing players that should have them banned from being able to go to games. In ALCS game 1 in 2009 a good 15 or 2o people (and i use that term loosely) were threatening the life of Bobby Abreu’s family. That aint right. And that was just some of the stuff I saw. People that get that deep in the muck are not real fans. Not saying “Bald Vinny” is not a true fan, or that there are not good baseball fans and good people in those seats but there are some real scumbags and I dislike them more than the lames who usually sit inside the concrete moat.

• Dave203 says:

Honestly, spare me the baseless insults of the Creatures. I have been sat there for for 6 full seasons now and never, have we threatened anyone’s family. I have been there for every playoff game, including Game 1 ALCS, and nothing remotely close to that occurred. Sure, there are some of us who don’t make the classiest of jokes. But honestly, if you don’t want to here us “harass” other fans and the opposing team, go sit somewhere else. They are jokes — we go to the games to have fun. If you want a place to take your 3 year old, don’t sit in 203. There are plenty of other bleacher sections for you.

The heart of Yankee Stadium is in Section 203 — bottom line. The players have regularly acknowledged this and there have been countless games where we have been the only section represented until the final pitch. Even questioning whether Vinny is a true fan is pathetic.

• Jim says:

Guy is a joke. He acts like he invented the roll call. I for one am happy he is gone. No one should give a crap and I am pissed there is even a post up about this. At least make fun of the guy.

• Dave203 says:

I smell jealousy. Vinny never claimed to “invent” the roll call — he just brought it and led it with the Creatures. Don’t hate because you are not part of it. I take it your just another one of those fans who would love to buy a seat in our section for just one game. I’m sure you leave games by the end of the 7th to avoid traffic and spend most of your time taking pictures of yourself and posting them on Facebook from the game. Figures why you would hate a true diehard fan like Vinny who shows up for every game without fail — rain delayed, snow, etc. Never mattered how bad it was, he’d be there to start the roll call. You only wish you could be the fan Vinny is.

• ED says:

Don’t be such a hater.

10. karel capek says:

Just bought Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for 20 bucks. Is it too late to praise a game that came out 5 years ago?

11. Jimmy McNulty says:

I’ve been wondering this for a while, who is the worst pitcher that you’d call an ace? I’d say guys that I’d call aces would be: CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, Jon Lester, Dan Haren, Jared Weaver, Zack Greinke, Adam Wainwright (when healthy), and probably David Price and Cole Hamels. The worst guy I’d let in that club would probably be either Hamels or Price, whoever you think is worse.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Haren.

• vin says:

To me, of all the guys people refer to as an ace, IPK is at the bottom of that group. But on your list, I’d go with Haren or Price. No real reason, just a hunch.

• MannyGeee says:

I am going on a limb here but I would say Lester. And I REALLY like Lester. He is a very good to great pitcher, but not an Ace. I am not sure he could carry a staff like most of those other guys could…

I would not want him starting 3 games in a 7 game series.

12. Sarah says:

McCarver points out that AJax needs to get on base so Miggy can drive him in. Isn’t that AJax’s entire problem, that he’s not very good at getting on base?

• Jesse says:

It is, but don’t you just love McCarver’s excellent analysis during each and every game he broadcasts? It’s just mind boggling.

• Sarah says:

It’s so good to have him back!

Also, love the Detroit fans booing AJax. Do they want Curtis back yet?

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I tried to look at the positive of the Yanks not getting to the ALCS and World Series as I did not have to hear Buck and McCarver. I dislike Buck waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than McCarver and I am no fan of Timmy.

13. Supernova says:

Just amazing to see the Rangers get to Sherzer and now to Fister and we couldn’t touch these guys in games 2 and 5. That’s what professional lineups do though.

• S says:

We touched Fister, we just couldn’t nail him when we had the bases loaded.

your right about Scherzer, which is sad since the team normally dominates two pitch Fastball/Slider guys.

• Sarah says:

The real reason we didn’t get to Fister in Game 5 is Leyland pulled him before the 3rd time through, because the third time through in Game 1 he got clobbered.

And Game 2 was the one Joe sort of managed us out of, bringing in Ayala and Chavez.

14. Michael P. says:

While were saying goodbye lets throw one Theo Epstein’s way. Rats always know when to leave a sinking ship…

15. Alfredo says:

Mark Texiera for Matt Cain. Would that be a trade that make sense or the giants wouldn’t want to take they money. Who do u guys think would do it and which team wouldn’t?

• Sarah says:

The Giants do not need a 1B. Brandon Belt will take over when Huff resumes sucking.

Also, they will not be trading Matt Cain. More likely they will try to sign him to a long term contract this off season. If any pitcher on that team were available via trade, it’s Jonathan Sanchez.

• Supernova says:

There isn’t a team in baseball that will touch the Teixera contract with a 10 foot pole. You’ve got an .820 OPS 1st baseman that has an albatross of a contract. Nobody else can afford it.

16. Alfredo says:

Mark Texiera for Matt Cain. Would it be a trade both the yankees and giants would be satisfied with? Who would win the trade?

17. David N says:

Yes, Tim McCarver, it’s unlikely that Perralta would be covering second if the runner wasn’t going from first.

Well done.

• Sarah says:

McCarver has great insight that he shares throughout the game. He’s hard hitting, for sure.

• David N says:

Did he just say that Colby Lewis pitches in a spacious ballpark?

• Sarah says:

I’ve stopped listening, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I think he also mispronounced Yosemite (called it “Yosemint.”)

• MannyGeee says:

Sure… A lot of seating, ample parking and a TON of urinals in Arlington. Look at all the elbow room Nolan Ryan and GW Bush have for their Club Seats!

That by definition, is a spacious ballpark, no?

18. mbonzo says:

Everyone said I was crazy!
    I’m still crazy, but at least I was right.

• Jesse says:

Ha! I’m glad you posted that mbonzo, thank you very much.
      Because as you see here: http://riveraveblues.com/2011/.....nt-2810383

I was right on the money!

• BK2ATL says:

Wow, how wrong was Mike on that one….Guess he wasn’t so secure after all, esp. after the owner’s remarks.

• mbonzo says:

He was right in the sense that they didn’t fire him, but I still think that if Epstein leaves, its a mutual send off. You can never underestimate how much Red Sox fans and owners will overreact to losing.

• BK2ATL says:

You honestly think Francona just walked away??? It was one of those “stepping down for personal reasons” deal. Like, if I don’t voluntarily leave, I will get fired.

It’s the same with Theo. The writing is all over the wall. Just read what’s being said by the front office, owner, Boston press, etc. He wasn’t coming back, one way or another.

That fanbase is ruthless. They chased the only manager and GM to bring a WS title, oops 2, to Boston in almost 90 years, out of town because a group of spoiled, underachievers choked.

19. Alfredo says:

Would you guys consider Beltran over Swisher?

• David N says:

If it were a one-year thing, yes. But Beltran is going to want much longer than that, and I’m not sure I’d want to commit that much money.

If Swisher is to go (and I’m not convinced he has to), I’d rather go after someone like Ethier.

• Jesse says:

No. Beltran is a Boras client, so it’d take more than a pretty penny to sign him, also it’d take a multi-year deal to get a very injury prone player. Plus, Matt Kemp is a FA after next season, I’d plan my right field situation around him, meaning have Swish for one more year and go get Kemp to play right field for 2013 and beyond.

• Max R. says:

Hamilton would also be a RF option after 2012.

It also would provide me with great schadenfreude after hearing about the Rangers’ fans obsession with the Yanks.

It would be great to get either.

• Sarah says:

I doubt the Jesus loving Hamilton wants to come to the Godless city of New York. I also would expect Texas to try to extend him.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Like the Jesus-loving Pettitte?

• Sarah says:

No. (1) Pettitte clearly started with New York.

(2) Living here, I’ll just say he fits in well in Texas. The team loves him, and the local media sort of eats up his story. He’s both the face of the franchise, and a good redeeming story about the evils of drug abuse and how God can save you. My sense is that he’s comfortable here, and would not want to leave. Just a guess, though…

• David N says:

Hamilton is kind of injury-prone also. Not to mention the question of how well he’d do in NYC given his past history and all the demons thereof.

But yes, it would be great to get him out of Texas.

• BK2ATL says:

Hell no. As less Boras as possible….

Plus,IMO, Beltran’s best days are definitely behind him, esp. in the OF.

• MannyGeee says:

Man, hell totha no. Too many injuries. Say what you want about Swishers ‘non-clutchiness’, dude is out there for 150 games a season, year after year. And oh by the way, tends to hit a lil bit whilst he is out there.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

20. David N says:

Damn, if V-Mart is hurt the Tigers are really screwed….

21. Sarah says:

Don Kelly is no Brett Gardner.

22. Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

Am I the only one watching the political debate ? These clowns are slightly more tolerable than McCarver.

23. Sarah says:

“This guy is a winner. He’s a winning ballplayer.” Deep stuff, that.

24. Alfredo says:

I would take beltran for 2 years and if Matt Kemp becomes a free agent I put him in left and if not trade Granderson for a very good young prospect Matt Moore or stephen strasburg like player.

• David N says:

Beltran will probably want more than two years. If he doesn’t, Boras certainly will.

• Jumpin' Jack Swisher (formerly Jorge) says:

You’re not getting either of those guys for Curtis Granderson. Players like that are as unmovable as can be.

No need as well to play “revolving outfield.”

25. Sarah says:

Is AJax going to run?

26. Jesse says:

4 wide to Miggy.

27. Alfredo says:

Imagine Miggy and Cano in the same lineup! That would be awesome.

28. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I just turned on the game and I am already sick of McCarver. “you have to try and get him out on balls…”

29. Stratman9652 says:

Miggy can smell fear can’t he? The guy is a beast.

30. FachoinaNYY says:

Holy shit that was almost the second guy Hamilton has killed this year.

Wow, guy has to think about that all the time. Surprised it hasnt been a bigger story.

31. Baseball Jesus says:

How the hell did we lose to this sorry ass team from detroit ?

32. Jesse says:

In football related news, Jets trade Derrick Mason to the Texans for conditional draft picks…

33. Darren says:

McCarver said “Detroit fans, are thinking, if Detroit wins tonight, that gets us to Verlander”

I havent looked at matchups or anything, nor do I care to, but isn’t Verlander going to pitch again regardless of the out come of tonight’s game??

34. David N says:

Damn, that didn’t even look like he swung that hard.

35. Lateforwork says:

Just saw Arod and Tex on entourage and it refueled my anger…assholes

36. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Soooo…Doug Fister is pretty good.

37. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

How long before McCarver calls Benoit and Valverde the best closer/set up man in baseball?

38. David N says:

Leave it to Fox to play up Valverde’s antics.

Can he please blow this one and still have the Tigers win? That would make my night.

39. Sarah says:

Time for the best closer in baseball.

40. David N says:

I love how none of the Tiger fans they’re showing look at all confident in Valverde.

41. Bald Vinny is the Jets equivalent of “Fireman Ed”…douchy non-representative of a fan base. This is the same guy who leaves games early to hock his t-shirts.

Guy got waaaay to big for his britches.

• Jim says:

Thank you! The guy is such a fake. He acts like he started the roll call and created the creatures. F him. What a joke. I can not even believe he got a post on RAB. He really grinds my gears…

• Dave203 says:

Just another wanna-be Creature jealous of Vinny. Spare me the baseless insults when you don’t even know the guy. The Creatures are the true fans of Yankee Stadium — the rest of you come and go. The Creatures are the constant force. The players have acknowledged this time and time again. You can dispute it if you choose, but its only out of pure jealousy and your own shortfalls.