Oct

The official Vent About Game 3 thread

It started and ended with Derek Jeter. His single on the first pitch in the top of the first set up the Yankees’ first run, and his strikeout with the tying run on second ended the game. There was some interesting stuff in between, too.

1. The Yankees got started right when Curtis Granderson tripled over Austin Jackson’s head and gave the Yanks a 1-0 lead. Two batters later Alex Rodriguez brought home Granderson, giving CC Sabathia a two-run lead before throwing a pitch.

2. Problem was, CC was all over the place. From the TV camera angles the umpiring appeared poor, but TV can be deceiving. Still, it appeared that the strike zone grew for left-handed batters, and the Yankees had plenty more of them than the Tigers. Hence, the feeling that the Yankees were getting shafted. But really, it was about CC’s lack of sharpness. It didn’t hurt them in the first two innings, but it would eventually lead to runs.

3. Verlander settled into his normally dominant mode, which bought the Tigers some time to break through against Sabathia. They did that in the third, benefiting from a bottom of the order rally. In fact, Sabathia didn’t record an out in that third inning until Miguel Cabrera grounded into a double play. The world is a strange place.

4. Sabathia eventually put down the Tigers in order, but he resumed his struggles in the fifth. Again the bottom of the order got things going, and Ramon Santiago, who should hit at the bottom of the order, put the Tigers ahead. Sabathia did manage to escape the inning without further trouble.

5. Meanwhile, Verlander continued to cruise.

6. With Don Kelly slated to lead off the sixth, Girardi stuck with Sabathia. There’s little problem with this. Kelly is a light-hitting lefty, lefties were facing a tougher strike zone, and Sabathia is hell on lefties. Kelly threw a wrench into the plans by laying down a bunt, which got by Sabathia. Base hit.

7. Yet Girardi did not remove Sabathia for the righty Jhonny Peralta. Yes, Peralta has something of a reverse split, but the circumstances were a bit different than a typical LHP/RHP situation. A hard-worked and shaky Sabathia stood on the mound, while the well-rested Rafael Soriano waited in the pen. Peralta doubled home a run. Sabathia stayed in for yet another batter, Alex Avila, whom he owned in the previous two at-bats. Even still, the sacrifice was a favorable outcome.

8. After going down 0-2 with two outs in the seventh, Jorge Posada hung in there to draw a walk from Verlander. That kinda changed the game there. Before that he was in complete game mode. Now he had to work a little harder. Things got harder still when he hit Russ Martin with a 100 mph fastball in the ribs. But that put the tying runner on, which came in handy when Brett Gardner split the outfielders. On Sunday Girardi pinch hit for Gardner in a similar situation. Last night he decided to stay with Gardner, and it paid off. Tie ballgame.

9. But not for long! On the first pitch of his at-bat Delmon Young took a fastball to the opposite field, just clearing the fence. Tigers back up. Valverde looming.

10. In the ninth Valverde came in, and he was wild from the start. Nick Swisher helped him out by popping up a 2-0 pitch, but after he homered yesterday it’s understandable why he went after the pitch. It was hittable, but he just missed it. Posada waited out Valverde, drawing another walk. Russ Martin then nearly put one out, flying one deep to the track. Like Curtis Granderson’s fly the previous inning, it would have been out at most parks, no less Yankee Stadium.

11. Gardner drew a walk, and Jeter did a good job to run the count full. But he couldn’t get the job done, or even pass the baton. He swung through one and ended the game.

12. See you back here tomorrow night, when the season rests in A.J. Burnett‘s hands. That terrifies everyone. Maybe the pressure will bring out the best in him. It’s really the only hope the Yankees have of extending their season.

Categories : Game Stories

1. C says:

Tough loss. Go get ‘em tomorrow.

2. Avi says:

One bad strike call against the Tigers in the 9th and Leyland is SCREAMING from the dugout. Where the fuck was Girardi all game!??

3. Chris says:

Where is the venting? I am fuming at this pathetic display. You are asking for Soriano? Well you got Soriano. Who the hell has any hope in him after his awful season. And Sabathia? The one stable element in our rotation that we NEED to make a run? Not up to the challenge. Verlander on the other hand knew he what he needed to do…

• Alex Taffet says:

To be fair, he did allow four runs. Imagine he did that every time out for the rest of the postseason. We’d all look back and say, “wow, he was really mediocre”

• Greg says:

Yeah, but he still went 8 innings saving his bullpen for today. Imagine if CC had went 8 innings and given up 4 runs. We would be claiming “he grinded” or “what a horse!”

• Rainbow Connection says:

Exactly. CC is treated with kid gloves on this site. This game is on him. Maybe he can lose 150 pounds in the offseason so he’s not so exhausted come September/October yet again next year. After he opts out and the Yanks make a poor decision in bringing him back for too many years and dollars, will he reveal that he needs knee surgery again? Of course it will happen, he’s obese.

• jim says:

Someone on the Yankees staff should’ve mentioned something to CC about the weight. He lost so much, after the all star break is when I noticed he was bigger than Colon and starting to overtake last year. There was a change. Someone should tell Martin it’s okay to take a pitch now and then. Even moreso when your guy just threw 28. As a team, I am wondering how they are the most patient lineup in the league? So many first pitches, so many pop-ups, so many K’s on terrible pitches. I agree, even Noesi instead of Ayala…or how about Kontos, who looked good for a one inning job. Lastly, if Swisher is a Yankee next year, I suggest the Yanks hire Ken Griffey Sr. to teach Swish how to climb an outfield wall. I remember Sr. taking away so many homers in left. “Boy the way Glenn Miller played…” But, I digress….enjoy the rest guys. (subliminal…Tito)

• Alex Taffet says:

I never said he was not better than CC. CC was atrocious. Verlander was merely mediocre.

4. mbonzo says:

The series ain’t over yet. I like the Yankees chances in the next 2 games, Porcello has a fantastic 5.56 ERA against the Yankees.

5. Bobcc says:

What about Colon???

6. ED says:

As much as he’s driven me crazy this season, Jorge has been solid in the playoffs and I’ll be too sad if yesterday was his last at Yankee Stadium. Take this series back to New York!!

7. JBID says:

Good:
    - Alex. He made walks, took pitches, and looked patient. Didn’t really get a pitch to hit.

- Derek. Nice to see him continuing his good hitting.

- Gardner. Total surprise.

Bad:
    - Girardi. Effed everything up. Left Sabathia in. Left Martin in in the 9th when Montero should have had a go. Both are righties, Montero is a better hitter and has 100% more power. That same pitch would have had 50 more feet on it.

- Sabathia. Turned in an A.J. Burnett-esque performance. There’s no disguising it — he was atrocious. Sure, some strikes weren’t called, but you can’t cry about that. He was dancing all over the sides. He was, in a word, bad.

- Teixeira. He’s become a black hole in the lineup. He was horrible all year, and he’s horrible now. Somebody take the bat from his hands and demand that he hit singles and doubles for the entirety of next season, because his home run count is absolutely meaningless. Nobody cares.

I’m sure there’s something else, but I’m forgetting now. I don’t think the Tigers were all that great, apart from Verlander. It’s just that the pitching was bad. Soriano and Robertson had no problem with them.

Oh, and the Soriano home run was totally predictable. That guy can’t hold a tie down. He no longer has the skill. Can’t wait for him to leave.

• Ryan says:

Wait wait wait. Let’s look a little closer at Derek’s “good hitting”…

• JBID says:

2 for 5. Average player only hits that much a game. It’s unfortunate it didn’t come in the ninth inning, but it happened to come at the times when it did. Law of averages. The rest of the team let him down. He’s not the only one who batted with men on base.

• JBID says:

The average player hits LESS, sorry. That was a mistype.

• IBelieveInAJ says:

11 men LOB this series. Jeter has been as unclutch as you can get

• IBelieveInAJ says:

11 men LOB this series. Jeter has been as unclutch as you can get.

• Yankee Fan 1 says:

He’s scored a bunch of runs and gotten a few hits. More than what a lot of others have done.

• I says:

Right, I think those who thought A-rod is a target and hatred Jeter should think twice, why you give Tex and Swish a pass either?

Why? Oh, they are likable guys(in your mind, at least better then Jeter).

If you didn’t blame those likable player first when A-rod get boo but Jeter, remember, you’re doing exactly the same thing either.

• Jetrer says:

he’s been fine with nobody on base, but he keeps killing rallies, incredibly unclutch

• I says:

You’re better not the one who said “How dare you called A-rod is unclutch, that’s not such a clutch thing”

And remember, if Jeter didn’t get his first inn hit, yankees won’t score runs that inn.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I think A-Rod has like a sub .300 OPS this post season, that’s about as Mark Teixeira, the whole line up except for Cano, Granderson, Gardner, and maybe Jeter has been pretty fucking terrible.

• Carl says:

JETER is 0-5 with RISP with 4Ks. Yup, defend Captain Clutch. LMFAO

• I says:

How fortunate A-rod is, he go 0-5 first game but Yankees win the game, Tex with 0-8 two game, didn’t get burn bc not face the “high leverage situation”.

• Bill says:

Pinch hitting Montero for Martin would not have been a good move at all. You can’t give a 21 year old prospect his first ever postseason at bat pinch hitting in the 9th inning with the tying run on base. It’s way too much pressure. You would just be setting him up to fail. And you cant say Martin had a bad at bat. He just missed a go ahead homer. It would’ve been out in most ballparks.

• Mike says:

Tex has transformed into Jason Giambi (with a better glove)

• ItsATarp says:

Jeter has the worst WPA in the last two games. Basically yes he’s hitting, but he’s not taking walks or getting hits when there are men on base. the fact is Arod without hits has about as good as a OBP as Jeter right now.

• I says:

Actually, A-rod’s 2 RBI is mostly bc Jeter’s effort. He should thanks Jeter.

Image if he get 0 hit 0 RBI this series?

• ItsATarp says:

Actually he should be thanking Grandy. But the point is Jeter isn’t doing much in high leverage situations. Arod hasn’t really seen a high leverage situation yet. He has been drawing his walks and getting on base though.

• I says:

“high leverage situation” doesn’t change yankees pay A-rod 31MM this year, and he bat 4th in our lineup, and he get 0 hit 0 RBI(if not bc Jeter)

I never blame ONE player after a lose game. But suggesting we boo other people instead of Alex is equally dumb.

• ItsATarp says:

“But suggesting we boo other people instead of Alex is equally dumb.” How? When everyone is preforming like shit we should pile it up on Arod? Makes sense.

• Yankee Fan 1 says:

So the runs jeter has scored in the beginning of the games don’t count because it wasn’t a high leverage situation? I dunno, those 2 runs in the 1st off of Verlander were pretty big and would have been huge if CC was on last night.

• Greg says:

Arod – good? Does he have a hit the entire series? Has he hit the ball hard? He was lucky to walk. There was no way he was getting a hit off of Verlander.

Jeter – good? He has been terrible with RISP.

8. eric says:

Lets just get to Nova v Fister on Weds

9. I’m generally one of the most level headed guys on the thread, and I’m furious at Girardi and Jeter. I can only imagine what the true bridge jumpers are feeling.

10. bobtaco says:

How short a leash does Girardi give AJ?

If things get dicey as early as the second inning, would he pull him?

• Rey22 says:

He has to. Elimination game, season on the line. If Robertson has to come in to strand the bases loaded in the 2nd, you make the move and worry about the 8th later.

Of course, Girardi would probably go with Ayala and argue he was looking for the groundball after he allows a bases clearing double or something :/

• Bill R says:

I bet if the yanks are down 4-0 by the 4th he yanks AJ for Hughes

11. Ryan says:

We’ve been here before. One win tomorrow and suddenly we have the advantage. Game 5, Nova on the mound, Yankee Stadium. I believe in AJ.

12. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

The Yankees will win this series.

13. Matt DiBari says:

I think its over. There’s no reason to have any faith in AJ Burnett and I expect an epic implosion tomorrow.

So I’ll watch tomorrow with no expectations and hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Tyrion Lannister says:

Yeah, this is the way I’m going to approach it as well. I think if AJ can find a way to win it and get it back to NY suddenly we’re back in a great position to win at home. You just never know what he’s going to give you though.

• Bill R says:

I just hope we don’t see a repeat of the David Wells 2002 ALDS Game 4 against the Angels type game. Where he went 4.2 IP with 8 ERs and there was just no hope to come back…

14. Tyrion Lannister says:

Didn’t have a problem with leaving Soriano in there for the 2nd inning. I expected him and DRob to go 2 tonight if needed. What I had a problem with was leaving Sabathia in there after he was ineffective all night. That cost us. Girardi has really cost us this series and the hitters aren’t doing enough to overcome him.

• Adam Parker says:

I dread Soriano pitching anymore. He is just not dominant, and doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as RoMo.

Just say no to SoRoMo.

15. Asl says:

Teixeira and Swisher are the most unclutch baseball players in decades on the Yankees. Tex is beyond useless is almost scary.

16. Avi says:

Worst postseason loss ever!
    (’04 not withstanding)

17. Mike Axisa says:

Just get it back to the Bronx.

18. JBID says:

Somebody tell A.J. to dye his hair brown so we can call him A.J. Brunett.

19. ItsATarp says:

The Tiger have hit 3 fucking homeruns that barely got over the wall. Talk about luck being on their side.

20. Tyrion Lannister says:

And I’m sorry but Gerry Davis was an embarrassment tonight behind the plate. Deceiving angles my ass. Once Verlander got in a groove Davis got strike happy. But CC’s close pitches on the corners were rarely called strikes. We still had our chances but baseball needs to do better.

21. The Humungus says:

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

Please.

As I have said from the beginning, the telling of the tale of the Yankees 28th World Championship shall be the greater for the struggle inherent, for it shall include the greatest of all miracles, the redemption of AJ Burnett.

Have faith.

22. Gonzo says:

Game 7 mentality. Get ‘em good guys.

23. Avi says:

Those two strike calls against granderson and cano killed. I think it was the 2-1 pitch to granderson and it was the strike three call on cano. Both CLEARLY high.
    #KILLTHEUMP

24. Rey22 says:

I think the worse part were the two almost homeruns by Granderson and Martin. Juuuust a bit more and we’re celebrating a 6-5 epic victory. Dammit.

25. Peepee Hands says:

Why do you say that CC was all over the place, when you yourself said the strike zone was expanded for lefties? I can think of 4 or 5 pitches where CC was painting on the outside corner with 2 strikes and didn’t get the call. I would hardly say CC was all over the place. Its hard to make the same pitch that was just called a ball, so what happens is he gets to be too fine and moves his location in a little bit to get the call again, and what happens… see Brandon Inge. I am extremely convinced the walks he gave up and the hits thereafter where a result of the strike zone, or lack thereof.

• Adam Parker says:

There were some blatant calls that were a strike in one instance, and called a ball the next.

The same thing happened with Verlander except in reverse… a called ball then became a strike in the same exact location, killing the Yankee batter’s mojo (I distinctly remember it happening to atleast Swish).

26. JBID says:

Mark Teixeira is actually my favorite currently active player — has been for some time; I like first basemen, Gehrig being paramount — been he is quickly annoying me.

I have a fantasy of firing him, taking the salary hit, and when he’s like “Why? Why?”, I shout

IT’S BECAUSE YOU SUCK

27. Joe says:

I kinda want that last week of meaningless baseball back. Things were so much easier back then. It was a better time.

28. Jesus Freak says:

FIRE RITARDI!

29. FIPster Doofus says:

I can’t fathom how Jose Valverde gets away with being so awful. He’s really not good at all.

• IBelieveInAJ says:

50-50 in save situations. Yeah he is erratic sometimes but he’s got absurd stuff. Really good. And had an awesome season.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I’d care about his saves if the stat itself wasn’t so incredibly overrated. Case in point: He got a save tonight for coming in and sucking. Swisher and, to a lesser extent, Jeter let him off the damn hook.

• Cuso says:

because people like Nick “I wanna be the hero” Swisher to let him off the hook

• Rainbow Connection says:

You can’t get your face all over TV and promote yourself for your next career by simply ‘walking’. You have to swing for the fences even if the pitcher can’t throw a strike.

30. Cuso says:

Swisher on a 2-0 count is “insta-swing.”

For some reason, he beieves that swinging on a first-pitch-get-me-over fastball that he hits a HR on (when we’re trailing by 4 runs) means that he’s gonna see that pitch when the opposing team is going to throw him a meatball when protecting a 1-run lead.

Really, someone else tell me again how I’m wrong about Swisher.

Someone else tell me how because he hit a homer yesterday taking a game from 5-1 to 5-2 means he should have a perpetual green light. I’m really curious how that argument goes.

Swisher apologists unite! Go ahead!

• Esteban says:

So he shouldn’t take advantage of fastballs down the middle? 2-0 you don’t need a green light. He missed the pitch, but when if he doesn’t get under it and hits HR (or any other hit) would you have criticized him anyway.

• Jesse says:

Swisher should have swung on the 2-0 pitch because it was right there for him to crush. He just popped it up. But go ahead, keep bashing him. I’ll never bash him because I got to meet him last year and get a picture with him. He’s also a pretty good player who has a great attitude, just another reason why it’s hard to bash him.

• Jetrer says:

“he’s gonna see that pitch when the opposing team is going to throw him a meatball when protecting a 1-run lead.”

That is exactly what he got, a meatball, he just badly mis-timed it.

• Mike Axisa says:

Call me a Swisher apologist, I don’t care. If he can’t swing at a 2-0 fastball over the plate, when can he swing? What’s the point of working the count if you’re just going to keep the bat on your shoulders there?

• Karl Krawfid says:

If you’re gonna swing 2-0 you have to put a better swing on the ball than that.

I mean drive the damn ball. If he throws a split 2-0 and you swing over it and look silly, you’re still batting.

He looked like he was trying to cover both pitches.

• Jonathan says:

I’m not disagreeing with swinging at a 2-0 pitch but making him throw a strike when we know how wild he is wouldn’t have been the worst idea. The point of working the count would be to draw a walk and perhaps start a rally. All that being said Nick has plenty of power and that would be a good time to swing if you’re going to tie it up. I think he just flat out overswung and got under it. It happens. My only beef is that we all know Valverde can get himself into a lot of trouble and he let him off the hook. Of course you could counter that with the fact that Nick took him deep yesterday. Either way it fucking sucks.

31. Professorg says:

Anytime there’s any pressure, AJ chokes. Why would tomorrow be any different. Our only chance rests with our offense. If ARod and Tex continue to sleep, I think we’re done. Our pen will probably have to shut down the Tigers starting in the 4th. If that means Ayala pitches, we’re toast. If AJ gets shelled right away, we’re history. Look, we faced the Koufax of his day and scored 4 runs, better than most teams have done. CC could have won without his ‘A’ game, but not his ‘C-’ game,
    which is what we got. By some miracle, if we win tomorrow, I really think we’ll win the 5th game with Nova. I know, coulda, woulda….

32. Kostas says:

I would love to see this go back to NY. Unfortunately, that is a great mountain to climb. Regardless of how Porcello has pitched, we have AJ. He is as predictable as a Jeter DP or Tex swinging wildly at a change up… The fact is that the Yankees have played one game well, the other two they have been reduced to mediocrity. The hard part is that as a Yankee fan – spoiled or not – you expect more out of your team. Playing ARod who is 50% at best seems pointless. Pitching Ayala in game 2 as a sudden white flag completely wrong.

Nothing has worked since Cano’s grand slam and now the season sits in the hands of AJ. Like a declining America, $200 million does not get what it use to, that is unfortunate.

33. Ghostwriter says:

I’m going to take advantage of the offer…to vent. 1st of all, I used to come to RAB for the game threads to get away from the crazies. Now, it’s like a disemzombied brain free for all. I can’t see how sane people take it.

The hitters have to step up, and that includes Robbie. He lights the world on fire for a day, and then, poof. And, that’s me speaking as a long-time Robbie defender. Seriously, Swish, lay off the coffee or crank or whatever is giving you the jitters and making your shoulder fly open. Enough with the pop-ups. Posada and GGBG can’t do this all by themselves.

And, oh yeah, Mr. Mgr, F the matchups when you’re pitcher’s gassed, OK? Seriously, look out at the field. Look at your pitcher. Look at the score. Put the binder away and go to the guys you rested for a reason.

Thanks.

• Kostas says:

There is a lot to be said about the manager. I believe he is a smart baseball man, but he has no confidence in anything out side the numbers in that notebook. That is unfortunate because he misses quite a bit.

• David N says:

Yeah, Cano looked like he was swinging for the fences a lot tonight.

34. Mark says:

At least none of you jumped off their couch yelling that ball is gone on the Martin swing in the 9th, damn me!

35. Avi says:

Look at the title of this video. I’m gonna throw up.

36. Jesus Freak says:

It’s 2006 all over again!

Yanks get best record in AL and home field advantage.

They win game 1 in convincing fashion.

But it rains.

The pitching sucks. The heart of the line-up goes cold.

Topped off by stoopid non-moves by Torre.

We lose 3 in a row to the Tigers.

37. stuart a says:

leyland schooling the binder boy.

does girardi realize this is the playoffs?

too bad Girardi did not go to Ayala today..

hey Joe the pen rested from the white flag act on game 2.

the ump sucked plain and simple….swisher swinging early is why he and tex suck when it matters. swisher, tex, arod, and martin are zombies. they suck… jeter at least gets some hits, not with men on base but he still gets some hits.

this series is over. you clowns are counting on AJ burnett the worst starter the yanks have had in about 50 years, look up the #’s. if aj wets his pants during the game I will not be suprised….

more shrewd and piercing questions fro mthe Yes crew. these guys and gals are clueless.

does girardi have a take sign???I know he does not want to insult the vets with a take.

russell martin cannot hit…he can block all the balls he wants he cannot hit at all…..

38. nsalem says:

No venting here. Offense will explode the next two games with double digit run production. Not worried about AJ tomorrow. Either he’s good or will be removed at the first sign of trouble, Porcello has started 4 games against the Yankees and has walked more than fanned (only 8 K’s). Last two AB’s by Posada were incredible. He is going out in style and I’m happy for him. Montero will shine in the CS when we face all those lefties against Texas. We should have no problem producing against Porcello and Fister 2nd time in a week. This series bears no resemblance to our loses in 2006 and 2007 when we were just getting blown out in our final losses. We were in these games till our last at bat the last two games. Anybody who thinks this season is over is a troll or an absolute idiot who has no clue about what he is watching. I can’t wait till Thursday night to see Valverde with that stupid grin wiped off his face.

39. Thomas Cassidy says:

They’re going all the way.

They don’t have a fucking choice.

This is Posada’s last year.

Also, fuck you, Girardi.

40. Jonathan says:

This was easily the most painful loss for me since the Midge Game. Can AJ not pull a Jaret Wright tomorrow? It’s possible, and I’m hopeful, but so many little things have gone against us it feels like the mystique isn’t working. I really hope we can at least take it back to the Bronx. Anything can happen. Girardi, for once in your fucking life take a guy out 1 batter early instead of 3 batters too late. Soriano was 2-0 on everyone..I thought he’d go to DRob but hindsight is 20/20. We really need to just dominate on offense and take some pressure off the staff.

41. stuart a says:

can’t believe Tex popped out tonight.

no friggin way.

arod with some drivel now… is tex and swisher on the team?????????

kim jones with some really insightful questions..

if they win tommorrow i will be shocked and ecstatic.

42. Pat D says:

Being at work when this shit goes on makes it all the more worse. Especially when you’re talking to people whining about their cell phones.

I just hope that, should they lose tomorrow, the game won’t be over before I have to leave. Otherwise, I could easily murder some of my co-workers.

43. stuart a says:

jerry davis the ump is a clown…

the tbs crew should look at the k zone on occassion.

the ump was equally horrible.

cc opt out. who cares. you think you can get more coin elsewhere go for it… CC was avg tonight and the ump killed him.. killed him over and over.. ajax to lead off the gamewas the classic. CC struck him out 4 pitches before he walked him……

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Anyone who thinks CC should be let go is not a true Yankee fan.

• Matt says:

Try reading posts before you criticize. You pull this same nonsense over and over again. It’s getting old.

He dared CC to opt out because he thinks that he won’t get a better offer from someone else. He actually said that CC was much better than his line showed tonight.

It’s hard to know that though when you attack without reading.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Hate to say it, but CC will get substantial offers from teams. Washington has money, so will the Cardinals if they don’t resign Pujols, Same with Milwaukee if they don’t resign Fielder. I don’t think that ANYONE should take it for granted that CC will return, and fans should not have a “meh, let him opt out” attitude.

• Matt says:

Again, he is not criticizing CC and saying that he should opt out. He is just pointing out that if he does opt out, he won’t get more than he is currently making.

I’m impressed. This might be the first time in quite a while that you didn’t respond to being proven very wrong with more excuses and attacks. Good for you.

• Pat D says:

I’m breaking O:S of you just to ask you this simple question: How awesome is it be you? I mean, since you’re never wrong about anything. It must truly be a privileged life. Power to you.

• Mike Axisa says:

Let’s put money on this, $100.

• mbonzo says:

Says the guy dropping personal attacks. The point of debate and discussion here is to learn from one another and enjoy each other’s ideas. How you get enjoyment out of mocking people and trying to “win” arguments is beyond me. Who cares who was right and who was wrong? Theres no need to make personal attacks on com mentors if they’re trying to add to the discussion.

• Jetrer says:

He will absolutely get more. Maybe not more dollars per year (though that likely will happen too) but he will add years, and thus, dollars.

• Jetrer says:

“cc opt out. who cares”
              sounds like he doesn’t particularly care if CC comes back

• forensic says:

It has nothing to do with being a ‘true yankee fan’. Saying it about one start isn’t smart and it’s emotions talking. Saying he shouldn’t be back because of a myriad of other issues that could be brought up regarding him is far from stupid.

44. Brian S. says:

Have you guys seen the PitchFX strikezone plot? Verlander had the zone a foot outside and CC threw several pitches up and away to right handed hitters that were called balls. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Yankees get fucked harder by an umpire than Gerry Davis did tonight.

45. Rey22 says:

I’m not ready for baseball season to be over, so the Yankees better fucking win tomorrow.

46. Ghostwriter says:

Look we all know AJ is capable of 4 to 5 shutdown innings. They just need to be innings 1 through 4/5. Then, as soon as he even looks like he’s getting into trouble someone hits the Gong and Sandman, a 70′s version, gets the hook out. Then, Joe G lets Robertson, Mo and the “most rested pen ever” polish off the job.

It can happen.

47. stuart a says:

i do not think cc should be let go. if he is going to extort the yanks for an extra $45 mill adios. No team will ever pay him what the yanks have. the guy is 31 and not exactly jack lalanne…

his contract is more then fair and generous.. btw CC did not come up big tonight but the short rest and ump killed him.

the rain in game 1 screwed up the whole series and it does not suprise me…

48. duzzi23 says:

Tex is an abortion offensively god forbid he’d use that stupid shift where he could get a hit every time up. Tex is one of my fav players but I can’t defend him he disappears every postseason I think he’s 0-last 24 in the playoffs. Girardi is doing a terrible job managing this series. CC should of been pulled after the 5th. Is it too late for them to fly Andy Pettitte from Texas to start tomorrow?

49. stuart a says:

the alds is a joke.. 5 games series after 162 games. makes no sense…

girardi’s lack of immediacy is a serious problem…

the ayala move in game 2 is a symptom og his mentallity… leyland has pulled all the right strings and he has managed like it is the playoffs, girardi has not.

tex has been bad in the playoffs for 3 years and that is the facts. same with swisher also. these guys never take pitches. guess on pitches and swing for the fences….that does not work in the playoffs agains good pitchers.

granderson redid his whole swing and made changes but Tex? not so much…people should be all of tex, he is a 30 year old middle of the order guy who is not getting it done. his regular season was terrible. he hit 220 lefty…………

tha yanks with tex and swishers troubles are much better against lefties………….

50. Ghostwriter says:

Let CC go? Really? So, what a starting rotation of Nova, Hughes, AJ, Colon/Garcia and EJax/CJ? There are people that think that’s a good idea? Because, um, hate to break it to you, but the Killer B’s are not ready, yet.

• Brian S. says:

People are just frustrated. There is not a better use of money than on CC Sabathia, and I’m sure people will come to their senses soon. But we need more high-end depth behind him next season.

• Ghostwriter says:

There is no high-end depth coming. EJax and CJ are the best of the lot, I believe. Unless ManBan can pull a Matt Moore or the Yanks can find a way to take Kershaw off McCourt’s hands, it’ll likely be more of the same next season.

• Brian S. says:

I wasn’t a proponent of signing CJ Wilson before but we may need him. I also like Yu Darvish but he’s a risk.

• David N says:

Not doing anything is also a risk. I’m not sure anyone out there is legitimately better than Darvish this off-season, especially if you figure that you’ll have to outbid Texas to get CJ Wilson, and Texas is probably going to overpay him.

51. Jesus Freak says:

Part of this is also on Cash for not pulling the Dan Haren trade.

It’s so important to have multiple big arms in the post season because hitting is so streaky and rotations can get jammed up because of rain delays and rain outs.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Nova was supposed to go to Arizona in the Haren deal. Say Haren would’ve taken his place as the No. 2 and would’ve gotten the win in Game 1. OK. The Yankees would still be down 2-1 and pitching Burnett tomorrow.

I know, I know – fallacy of the predetermined outcome.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Still trying to figure out that non move. Some say Nova was the deal breaker while others claim it was Joba

52. stuart a says:

this team which ran during the regular season and did some other things well goes into the playoff hit the dinger mentality.

really why is russell martin swinging at the first pitch every AB??

there is no rationale….NONE………….

tex 2 and 1 trying to jack a ball out and pops to left.. .it is deja vu all ove ragain..

tex stinks…

53. pat says:

I believe.

54. dkidd says:

for some reason, i still believe we win this series. just get jorge back to the bronx!!!

oh, and girardi sux

55. Buck Foston says:

The “human element” can kiss my Irish ass.

Give us fucking robots!

• mbonzo says:

You don’t get it, instant replay would ruin the continuity of statistics in baseball. Did Babe Ruth ever use instant replay when he was hitting homeruns? They should never change the game, also minorities shouldn’t be allowed to play and no more stupid Tommy John surgery.

• Buck Foston says:

I’m talking about the strikezone.

People went ape-shit when the Cyclops was introduced in tennis, and yet bitches about it anymore. Why? Because it’s effective.

They have to take the calling of balls and strikes out of the hands of the umps. They have clearly demonstrated that they are unable or unwilling to give a fair and balanced zone.

You could argue that it’s the most critical part of the game, and the arbitrary nature with which it’s being handled is just unacceptable.

I know I’m tilting at windmills, but this is a vent thread after all…

• Buck Foston says:

*no one bitches*

• mbonzo says:

I agree that replay needs to be used, but not on balls and strikes. Instead, umpires need to be fired and hired at the MLB level to earn their jobs. I have no idea what Selig is waiting for to implement replay for a larger scheme, but something will change soon.

56. Jesus Freak says:

If only Steinbrenner was alive. :(

57. Bill says:

Looks like Girardi will have a short leash on Burnett.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

AJ for 3
      Wade/Hughes for 1
      Soriano for 1
      DRob for 2
      Mo for 2.

I’d love to see this. The off day would then let Mo and DRob pitch an inning in game 5.

• forensic says:

He should’ve had the short leash with CC instead given what he was coming back from and their numbers against him. Now he’ll have too short a leash with Burnett and bring in Hughes to really give it up.

• Bill says:

I’m in the group of people that think AJ should’ve pitched tonight and CC pitch tomorrow. As one guy said in the game thread, the chances of losing to Verlander is high and this way you have CC pitching on normal rest in Game 4. Most sane people would trust CC over AJ in a must win game. And I think Girardi should have brought Soriano in to face Peralta.

58. Gonzo says:

We are going to win this series. I just got the feeling.

59. CUYanks says:

The season is not over. We can certainly have a 2 game winning streak against the Tigers, non-Verlander division. All we need is to win a game vs. Porcello, with Mo available for 2 innings. It can be done.

60. mucinex overdose says:

if we lose fans should be irrate enough to hunt down that ump and kill him

61. ED says:

Actual texts from tonight:

MOM: Gardner won’t do shit, I would have put AJones in.

*Garnder hits double, ties game*

ME: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Despite the loss, that was pretty awesome.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I also advocated hitting Jones for Gardner, thinking Gardy wouldn’t catch up to Verlander’s 100-mph heat. Oops.

62. Jesse says:

So, say the Yankees have a lead after 6 innings of any kind, and I mean ANY, from a 1 run lead to a 15 plus run lead, Girardi will go SoRoMo to close it out, right???

63. Karl Krawfid says:

We need this version of Tex back.

Look at that left swing.

64. forensic says:

I love how the two best pitchers on the team have gotten 4 of the 108 outs in the series…

• forensic says:

Sorry, 81 outs, got a little ahead of myself…

• wheres montero? says:

i like how montero with his 1+ OPS hasn’t gotten a single AB.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

To be fair, Posada has been very very good in this series.

• Jesse says:

He has, and because of it he won’t get an AB, which is a shame. I would have loved to see how he fares in postseason play with the pressure on, albeit in a very small sample size.

• mustang says:

WooooW!!!!

Really!!! Yes the postseason is the perfect time to test run a 21 year old rookie who been in the MLB for month!

Just wow!

Super prospect thing way too far!!

• David N says:

Yeah, if this is Posada’s last series as a Yankee, he’s going out in style. He should be playing, he should not be pinch-hit for, etc.

Problem with wanting to pinch-hit Montero is that there’s really nobody to hit him for. The hitters who are killing us are A-Rod and Tex, and you can’t bat for them because they can always run into one and hit it out.

• ED says:

Montero will get at-bats in the next series when we face more lefties.

65. Risto says:

The umpiring in this game was downright disgraceful.

66. The offseason begins 10/5 says:

tex was a waste he gets worse and worse every year and in the playoffs he becomes ghost. swish is also a bum.its sad for a team with 200 million dollar payroll to have a rotation like this. freddy is a just freddy i got no words about him. all tho i like nova he is no way a number 2. burnett im not going to waste time typing or id be here till tomorrows game. hughes is one the most disappointments in awhile cuz i expected him to grow from last year and be come a reliable number 2. soriano was just sooo dumb and was a move just to say the yankees did something. a-rod he is heading towards the end but i think well i hope he is injured and thats y he sucks. and the sad part about all this is free agent class sucks in pitching. i have no clue how the heck the yankees can improve their rotation. i get that the yanks won a ring with most these players in 09 but in the offseason they need to shake some things. who knows im just pissed right now. and the worst part of it all tomorrow aj freaking burnett is pitching so yankees better start packing for the offseason bunch of overrated bums.

• Jesse says:

I chose not to read what you wrote after seeing your handle, and I wont. But let me guess, you blame Teixeira for being a waste, CC for sucking, Girardi being a terrible manager, and probably comparing this team to 2009 or saying, “this team wouldn’t be playing like this if George was around!”.

And I’m serious, I didn’t read it and I won’t read it, but I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if I was right.

67. stuart a says:

the umps strike zone was the size of his brain..

jerry davis, what a clown… CC hit the border of the box 25 times and got about 3 of the calls……..

68. mustang says:

They are going to pull this thing off no worries!!!

69. we miss you pettitte says:

said this last year and am going to say it again not getting haren last year is gonna haunt us for awhile not having that true number 2 is killer

• Jesse says:

The Yankees would have had to give up Nova to get Haren you know?

• ItsATarp says:

Haren comes and what? Pitches as well as nova did this year? Sure we might get 2-4 more wins out of him in the regular season. But it becomes moot in the postseason.

• Mike says:

Haren>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nova not even close.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Keep in mind that Haren is in the AL West.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Haren’s still quite a bit better than Nova, Nova’s no slouch but you’d immediately take Haren if given the option. There’s a lot of hyperbole here, but hey…that’s par for the course amongst nerds.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Think long term – Haren is 31 and not getting any younger, and Nova is 24 and under team control for several more years, and he seems to be improving every year. I would have easily traded Joba for Haren, but I’m not so sure about Nova.

• Evan3457 says:

Yes, but tactically, in this series, he’d have been the game 2 starter, he’d have pitched Saturday night, would likely have pitched well and gotten the W.

And then the Tigers would’ve won yesterday and today, we’d be right where we are right now, down 2-1, needing AJ not to suck excessively.

Now, if they win tomorrow, and Nova has a bad game in game 5, then there’s a point in there somewhere for this series.

70. Chris says:

LOSERS blame the umpire..winners find a way to win even when the umps suck.

• Evan3457 says:

Not when it’s more or less a +10 strike call advantage.

For VERLANDER over CC. In Detroit.

As Mr. Miyagi put it: “Too much advantage. Your dojo”.

71. stuart a says:

yep tes’s and martin swing early approaches work. ie martin hittin 232 an dtex 2220 lefty. maybe ichael young and others should follow there lead. after all hitting 220 is better then 300+….

trying to cheat to hit a homerun is a bad approach. try to get on base…these are not teams scrub pitchers, only girardi uses a scrub pitcher in a meaningful situation.

tex, martin, swisher, arod have done nothing for at least 2 years in the playoffs…swinging for the fences at comerica, good idea….

texiera stinks, his approach lefty is horrible. he runs into a pitch on occassion and that is it… the softest 39 homer 111 rbi sta line I have seen in a long long time…………

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He hit a ball oppo field pretty hard and popped out on a 99 MPH fastball…most hitters in baseball wouldn’t even catch up to that heat.

• Evan3457 says:

Martin hasn’t been here two years.

Tigers won the game by swinging for the fences.

72. Barney Stinson says:

Really hope I’m wrong guys but I’ll see you in 2012 :(

73. ItsATarp says:

The game thread was an abomination. one bad outing and it’s suddenly, we shouldn’t resign CC. We wouldn’t be here without CC. Not to mention he has been good for us mostly. Even last year where he “sucked” he had one really bad outing vs the Rangers where we won anyways. Then in game 5 he clearly didn’t have his best, but managed to get us through 6 innings and only 2 runs, so there would be a game 6.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

In 16 post season innings last year he allowed eleven runs, three home runs, walked seven batters and fanned fifteen. That’s a pretty rough stretch. Most people that “don’t want CC back” will immediately change their mind once the dust settles and the reality of a rotation fronted by Ivan Nova, CJ Wilson, or the unknown Yu Darvish sets in. He’s been a fairly unspectacular postseason pitcher throughout his career. That said I still think he’s a top five pitcher in baseball (from year to year I don’t expect him to be a top five pitcher, but there’s always a few guys who has a big year then slows down or has a big year and gets injured, CC’s usually in the top ten every year and pitches in a brutal division…so I give him the nod for a top five pitcher) sure you pin this loss on him, but if they had someone better than AJ Burnett going tomorrow I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

• ItsATarp says:

A lot of that was that really bad outing vs Texas which we win in the end. He gave up 5 runs in that game. Vs twins he went 6 4 runs 3 ER, then in game 5 he went 6 2 ER. Those games certainly were terrible but by CC’s standards they were meh. But it’s still good outing for any other person.

• Greg says:

He always seems to have “meh” games against the top teams when matched up against their ace. I’m trying to recall the last regular or post season game where he stepped up with an elite performance and I can’t. I remember him being outperformed by Beckett, Weaver, Lee, et al…..

• Grit Storage says:

You know what’s just as annoying as people getting over-excited in the game threads? People getting over-excited about people getting over-excited in the game threads.

74. Jimmy McNulty says:

Well, on the plus side CC’s really hurting his case in an opt out. The “big game pitcher” we all fell in love with in 2009 is looking like a distant memory. In about 85 post season innings he has an ERA just south of five. Of course they should bring him back, but that’s about the only positive I can glean out of this.

75. forensic says:

Watching the postgame now, and very little infuriates me more than Girardi laughing and joking about the questions about A-Rod and Tex not hitting and his excuses being that they’re facing good pitchers and not people out of the stands. Then why are your pitchers getting hit around? Are they just guys out of the stands? Can you not expect supposed good hitters making $20 million to hit good pitchers sometimes???

76. Umbrelladoc says:

Before you trash the players and the manager look at brooksbaseball.net. CC did not get a single call on the outside corner to righties or 8/9ths of the lineup. He lost about 2-3 inches of the plate. Meanwhile Verlander got multiple strike calls 4-5 inches off the outside corner to lefties. He’s already the cy young winner and he gets that advantage. Yet the yankees tie the game and have the go ahead run on base In the ninth.

77. dkidd says:

i’m thinking positive until the last out is recorded. this team will get it back to the bronx

aj’s line: 6.1 4 2 2 1 7

• forensic says:

I think he’ll pitch well but, right or wrong, no way Girardi doesn’t pull him before pitching into the 7th.

78. Kiko Jones says:

Here’s a wonderful bunch of stats:

• Cano, A-Rod, Tex and Swisher went a combined 0-for-14 in Game 3, with Rodriguez’s two walks being the only times any of them reached base. They left six runners on base.

• Gardner’s game-tying double off Verlander in the seventh was his first extra-base hit in 55 post-season plate appearances.

• Tex and A-Rod are a combined 1-for-21 with four walks and two RBIs in this series.

Even if AJ pitches like he did in the 15-inning game vs BOS in Aug ’09 or Game 2 of that year’s WS on Tuesday night, the Yankees are coming back right after the game to clean out their lockers if the offense doesn’t show up.

• Jimmy says:

That sums it up well. Pitching isn’t what’s losing this series.

• David, Jr. says:

It isn’t Girardi, either. It is pathetic performances by superstar players. You forgot to include Sabathia, our “ace” – 13 base runners in 5 1/3 innings – performances like that legends make!

However, they are still in decent shape. If they can just break out of it a bit, they will slaughter Porcello. Then back to New York where you well see Detroit implode like the AL Central nobodies they are.

• Nixk says:

The Yankees are supposed to win against Verlander when they score 4 runs off of him with CC on the mound. I’m sorry. Not even debatable.

• Greg says:

Generally good post. Certainly we got all we could have hoped for out of Freddy in game 2 and the O needs to step up against Scherzer and win that game. Would have liked a little more out of our 23mm ace than what we got last night though, poor umpiring and all.

79. nycsportzfan says:

i was worried this team was gonna fall right into the category of the 2005 2006 2007 2008 teams and that is a TEAm that will always of course go to the playoffs but once there the BATS are quiter because the level of pitching is highers and the pitching is just OK because the staff is not great as a WHOLE Its the same type of team! When u have a LINEUP like ours we’ll always go to the playoffs just becase we’ll kill the bad teams and get just enough pitching going forward and then once the playoffs get here and your seeing good pitching all the time guys like Freddy Garcia won’t cut it! This team always has had a eerily similar feel to the teams i mentioned above

Heres to hoping they prove to be not like those teams and AJ pitches a GEm and NOVA takes us to the next rd!

80. first time lawng time says:

The offense and Sabathia have sucked this entire series. In fact, Sabathia has sucked since September. So much for having an ace.

81. Mike says:

CC didn’t have his best stuff . . but he fought threw it ..

So pissed at our offense .. Why does it take them 7 innings before they start hitting ???

Swisher , Martin. Arod , Tex …. have done SHIT this series. WAKE THE F up

82. Monteroisdinero says:

I think AJ will pitch well. Because you can’t predict baseball, I predicted we would lose last night and win tonight. It’s all about AJ’s curveball location and Girardi pulling the trigger on his anti-implosion inning gun.

We were up 2-0 with CC and got 3dp’s early in the game. We lost and although the ump squeezed us-we should have won this game.

A Montero post season ab is the key to #28.

83. Monteroisdinero says:

Good time to be a sports fan in Detroit as Lions 4-0, Michigan 5-0.

Time to regress.

84. Monteroisdinero says:

When will ARod drive a ball deep to or over the fence? The guy is just awful at the plate for what he is supposed to give us.

A cheap grounder to score a run from 3rd seems like a great accomplishment for him nowadays.

• steve says:

you can say the same thing about Tex . Swisher, and Martin.

• Monteroisdinero says:

No. Martin drives the ball. Swish has hit a HR. They are underperforming yes but they have bat speed and can get it done from time to time.

ARod just sucks with the bat. Very few clutch hits this year with x-tra base hits/HR’s.

Desmond jennings hit 2 HR’s in one game last night. So nice to play young guys and not be a slave to salary and reputations of years gone by.

So ready for Montero to start destroying RF in YS next year.

85. Bavarian Yankee says:

CC sucked big time, no doubt about that. He just can’t get it done in the big games this year. He was pretty lucky too, I think his FIP was well into double digits yesterday. Imagine what will happen if the Yankees lose this series and then CC opts out of the contract. He could be the most disliked man in NY pretty soon.

Not much the offense can do when 4 runs against Verlander aren’t enough. Gardner once again had a great game btw.

86. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I watched the game as everyone else did. I shut the TV off in disappointment as everyone else did. But I’m glad I did not comment immediately after the game. I would have been just as ugly about the team as have been in their posts.

We have a chance to bring it back to NY with AJ going against a right-hand dominated lineup. I know AJ is a .500 pitcher but maybe he has a good start in him for about 5.1 innings. Then bring in the bullpen. Winning against Verlander would have been a treat. But when game one was suspended you knew our rotation was F$$ked.

Now, to my rants CC did not belong pitching in the 6th. He was spent with no control of his pitches either through fatigue or umpire error. Girardi has made decisions the last two games which has me baffled. Soriano just laid a big fat pitch to Young which Smoltz called just prior that he’s a dead fastball or first pitch hitter, HR. If Soriano opts. out and I don’t think he will just let him go. I rather loss with a AAA guy than 13 million a year in crap on the mound. Arod, I believe is hurt but Teix. he’s a big disappointment. If he going to continue as the number 3 hitter then he has to change his approach to hitting because his HR’s don’t impress as he tries to lift the ball into the RF seats, misses and strikes out with RISP.

Detroit got the bounces tonight, broken bat hits, bloop hits, etc. Tonight we’ll see if the Yankees are actually worth the 207 million dollars of contracts and their mettle to win and take it back to NY a beat Fister in NY.

I must still be angry.

87. S says:

Brooksbaseball says that the ump was giving Verlander the regular strike zone+ another 6 inches off the plate (9 pitches he threw were no where near the plate). It also showed CC not getting any borderline calls.

Its one thing to be beaten, its another to get screwed because of an incompetent ump.

88. Kosmo says:

C´mon this is great theatre isn´t it ? The season rests on the shoulders of one AJ Burnett and a sputtering offense. The irony of it all.

89. RJ says:

If this was covered above… all apologies

I hope Bud Selig is happy… to have a bunch of non-field items impact the game is sad, yes Verlander is better than CC this year and if you played that game with both guys on normal rest its likely you get that outcome more often than not… if only because bunt them over Joe would actually trust Soriano to throw meaningful pitches.

The Yanks have homefield advantage but play games at 8:40,… they have homefield, they should atleast have the option of playing at their normal local time, their fans should have some benefit, the D-Bags who are actually in the PST should play late. If they played game 1 at local time, CC & Verlander get 5ish in.

If you trust the TBS strike zone box, the strike zone wasn’t close to consistent.

Now, this comes down to who has a better back end of the rotation.

I did wonder that with Ayala’s ERA he wasn’t used in higher leverage innings, now I know why. So there is actually one guy on the roster that bunt them over Joe utilizes correctly (most of the time).

90. TomH says:

I have no idea what will happen, although I am gloomy about not just the next game but the Yankees’ longer term prospects.

It’s possible, but not probable, that AJ will turn in a good-enough performance and that Nova will come through in NY. However, that merely takes into the next series the Yankees’ current problem: lousy pitching and hitting controlable by the kind of good pitching they’re likely to face in October. For whatever reason, CC hasn’t been sharp for several weeks. The rained-out game showed signs of the old greatness in him, but we know what happened. ARod is not right. Teixeira has become a soft target for even average pitchers.

Nevertheless, there were some extended stretches last night where Verlander would have been just as effective against Musial, Williams, and Dimaggio as he was against the Yankees’ current best. Frankly, I was astounded that they scored 4 runs off him.

The umpiring was a canard. CC had to adjust to it and could not because he lacked sharpness as well as that devastating knock-out fastball that Verlander was using against the heart of the Yankees’ order. It reminded me of watching Gibson in 1964 or Koufax in 1963 against other Yankee teams.

91. ArchStanton says:

Jeter didn’t work the count full in the 9th. Just pointing that out from the write-up- it was 2-2. Not that it really matters :)

92. Jorge (needs a new name) says:

It was tough to watch Sabathia, but he got tagged for as many runs as Verlander did. His biggest crime wound up being not going as deep into the game and having us have to watch Soriano give up that HR to Delmon Young.

It’s in AJ’s hands now and, um, Rick Porcello’s. Do I believe? Hell yeah. Would a first-round exit surprise me? Hell no. The team rode the Garcia/Colon patchwork the entire season. It got them farther than they thought, but it may just fail them at the very end.

Get this done, AJ. You’ve got it in you.

93. MUIDATS EEKNAY says:

Rivera only threw 3 pitches on Saturday, and has barely pitched at all in the last week. He should start tonight. Seriously.

94. dalelama says:

Well now that Francona is available we can dump Girardi. The previous response to fire Girardi pleas has been, “Well who are you going to replace him with?” Now we have an answer.

• Pat D says:

Fucking stupid.

What the fuck makes Francona so special?

• dalelama says:

He has won twice as many WS as Girardi with less talent. I never remember Francona making the obvious bonehead mistakes that Girardi has. If you don’t like Francona LaRussa is available. At least now there are replacements for Girardi who must go.

• Pat D says:

Francona has not won with less talent. Those Red Sox teams had just as much talent as the Yankees have had recently.

LaRussa costs his team a ton of games with his idiotic decisions. You think Girardi does that? LaRussa is ten times worse.

Neither of them would do any better than Girardi.

95. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Is it too late to trade for Bruce Chen?

96. mike says:

This team reminds me ( and others ) of the mid -00′s, where a mediocre staff propelled by good offense got to the playoffs…their best pitcher (wang, Mussina) pitched relatively poorly, and the vaunted offense didn’t show up.

Until/unless the yanks add quality starters to their staff (and Mr. Nova, we are not speaking about you) this will be the same story in the future as well.

This doesnt excuse swisher, tex or arod – all of whom have a lifetime of playoff disappointments partially offset by 2009- but those guys can apparently get you thru the regular season and no further.

97. JWT says:

If you want to win a championship, you have to go into the other guy’s park and beat their ace. Failing that, you have to be able to win an elimination game on the road — or else you simply lack the balls to even consider yourself in the discussion for a championship.

98. steve s says:

Some random thoughts after reading this entire thread:

1) Not sure if Yanks will win tonight but very sure that if they do then they will win Game 5.

2) On CC, the issue on his opt-out is not really about getting more years or a raise which is a side-bar red herring; its about whether this guy still wants to play in NY which was the reason for granting him the opt-out in the first place and convincing him to play in NY despite many trepidations. From all that I can tell he seems to enjoy living in NJ and playing in NY but will he enjoy the media scrutiny that comes with exercising the opt-out or being attacked in the media as not worthy of more years or more $$$? I think it’s very naive to think that in this current baseball economy (short of the “one stupid owner” theory) that there are other teams who will be willing to add on years or $$$ to CC’s contract but its not inconceivable that the Angels for example may come close to matching his current Yankee contract and that CC would jump at that no matter what the Yanks do to entice him to stay.

3) On Swisher, I think we are way beyond the small sample size for his post-season performance. Yanks need to pass on what seems to be his resonable option price and either add a stop-gap (Carlos Beltran anyone?) or a short platoon year or two (don’t have any idea who those platoon players might be at this point in time) until the outfield talent in the low minors are ready.

4) On Tex, offensively speaking, he’s beginning to remind me of the arc that Tom Tresh’s career took who mysteriously (perhaps due somewhat to injury) lost his ability to hit and went from being an All-Star to terrible by the ripe old age of 30 or so.

• Gabe says:

Tom Tresh was never as good a hiter as Tex though.

• steve s says:

I agree but my point was that, relatively speaking, the “arc” of their careers are beginning to look similar (with no reasonable explanantion for the loss of hitting ability). Tex was a much better hitter but, back in his day, Tresh was initially a top performer and highly regarded and received MVP votes in multiple years.

• Dave says:

The only thing wrong with Tex is that he decided when he got to Yankee stadium he was going to hit a home run every at bat.

• Pat D says:

Replacing Swisher with Carlos Beltran or any other “stopgap” is dumb. Swisher struggles in the postseason? Fine, maybe. But you’ve gotta produce in those 162 games prior to even get to the postseason. He’s done that every year so far.

The outfield talent in the low minors is at least 3 years away.

99. Mike HC says:

I thought the Yanks were not getting the calls. I don’t know if I would go as far to say that they got “shafted,” but sometimes the majority of the calls just go the other way. Hopefully things even out calls wise tonight with AJ on the mound.

100. JobaWockeeZ says:

So much for the top 3 MLB pitching staff everyone was bragging about.

101. Brian says:

Phil Hughes said – That means attacking with his fastball. He walked the only two batters he faced in the eighth inning of Game 1 of the 2009 world series. He felt he was being squeezed by Gerry Davis, and yelled toward the veteran ump from the dugout

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports.....z1ZonVLl3T

Gerry Davis does not like the yankees or CC and he should be fired.

102. Mike HC says:

I also think Girardi should be more willing to pinch hit Montero over Martin in big spots.

103. Tiny Tim says:

If this series is lost I think CC opts out and he’s gone. Hopefully he takes Girardi with him. This series has been so poorly managed. Joe Torre is available. At least you know that he would use the bullpen.

104. Rockdog says:

Tough loss, but you turn the page. I still think we have a good shot of winning tonight, especially as we can use the bullpen if AJ falters. And if we can get to a game 5 at home, I like our chances. Keep the faith, all.

105. Brian says:

AJ pitched game two of the 2009 world series and pitched great after CC got the loss in game one with Gerry Davis behind the plate. Everyone is saying 2006 i am saying 2009!

106. Tiny Tim says:

This club has rarely showed any fight in these elimination games. All those losses to the Angels, Tigers, Red Sox, and Indians. 2009 may have been the last great hurrah for this once great franchise.

• Dave says:

Agreed. If they don’t win tonight they’re pretty much out of contention for the rest of the century. AJ pitching to save the franchise.

• Rockdog says:

Oh no!!! We’re DOOOOOMEED!

• Tiny Tim says:

It’s certainly over for a while. CC ain’t coming back. He knows the tough situation we’ll be in for years to come with Jeter and ARod’s contracts. Mo is retiring soon. Teix is ineffective. About the only good pieces currently starting are Cano, Granderson, Gardner.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Not that negative about the situation. This is a short series. We won the most games in the AL and easily won the division.

ARod and Tex do not give us clutch power hitting and this is what is killing us. The postseason is not the regular season where you can go off on the O’s, Royals and A’s in low pressure situations. We need a youth injection. With Posada going and Montero getting 5-600 abs next year and contributions from Joba/Hughes/Banuelos/Betances it is not as bleak as folks think. Nova is legit.

Girardi needs to toss his binder.

• Rockdog says:

Tim is just trolling, dude. It is not bleak at all. We certainly have issues, especially around starting pitching, but what team doesn’t. And the strong farm system should help, one way or another. My guess: we sign CC and 1 other big name (Darvish? Wilson?) in the offseason.

Hard to be confident, of course, down 2-1, but I am not giving up. The Yankees are my team, and I am with them until the last out is made, this and every season. Period.

• Dave says:

If by a while you mean next year, you’re exactly right.

107. JohnC says:

Keep the faith people!!! AJ will come through for us tonight. Thought Granderson had one there in the 8th but just died at the wall. Same with Russell Martin’s shot in the 9th. Swisher had a great pitch to hit there on 2-0, just missed it. We’ll get to Porcello tonight.

108. Rockdog says:

Worst 97 win team EVER!!! I am now thinking about becoming a Mets fan? What do you think Tim? Or should I root for the Tigers (or is it the Red Sox) like you do?

109. thenamestsam says:

I don’t understand the narrative around here that the offense hasn’t showed up. 16 runs in three games is pretty damn good, and is almost exactly in line with what they did in the regular season. Someone is going to say that nine of those runs came in a blowout, but that’s always how offense works.
    Sure you can say that some individuals haven’t produced to the level you’d want, but some have produced above the desired level. Again, look at any weeks worth of games and that’s how it is. Some guys are hot, some guys are cold and the offense scores five runs a game. Try to keep a little perspective.
    It’s a two game losing streak against a good team in which they had the winning run at the plate in the ninth inning both games. They’re playing fine right now. A couple plays here or there and we’d be talking about a sweep. Anyone calling for large-scale changes is a fool.

110. Darren says:

Didn’t you know, deep down in your blue and white pinstriped heart, that the season was going to come down to AJ Burnett?

After all of the opportunities Girardi gave him, all of the extra chances to prove he was worth it, you just knew that somehow, we’d be sitting here hoping Good AJ can show up for 6 innings and redeem himself.

Let’s hope the story has a good ending. See you at the Stadium on Friday. (Thursday will be rained out.)

111. Gerald Williams says:

AJ is going to be a BEAST tonight!

112. MannyGeee says:

It seemed (without any physical evidence, mind you… just an observation )as if the strike zone moved ‘up’ as the game went on. that high strike seemed to get called a TON in the latter innings, where I did not see it earlier… just me?

113. MannyGeee says:

and also…

tonight is going to be an absolute slug fest. ALOT of balls in play.

God help the team that thinks they can outslug the Yankees though.

114. jonathan says:

CC has not been right for quite some time now, he has to be considered a problem for the rest of the playoffs….if there is a “rest of the playoffs”