Oct

The Yankees don’t want the Yankees to be called the Yankees anymore

Via Paul Sokoloski, the Yankees have informed their minor league affiliates in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Tampa, and Staten Island that they want them to drop “Yankees” as their nickname. “There’s only one team they want as the Yankees,” said Jim Timlin, chairman of the Lackawanna County Stadium Authority board in Northeast Pennsylvania. “And they live in the Bronx.”

“It was a recommendation,” added Timlin. “We don’t have to listen to them. But it would be a good idea to go along with them. The Yankees, when they come back [to Scranton] in 2013, may have a different name. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre-something. The naming rights are up for grabs.” The Triple-A Scranton franchise will play all of their 2012 home games on the road as PNC Field undergoes $40M worth of renovations.

There’s something fishy going on here, no? The Yankees just offloaded their stake in the Staten Island franchise, and now asked them to change their name. Meanwhile, they’re purchasing the SWB franchise … and are still asking them to change their name. I’m sure there’s some weird legal reason behind it, but it just seems off from where I sit.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. “The Yankees, when they come back [to Scranton] in 2013, may have a different name. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre-something. The naming rights are up for grabs.”

Hold on… What does that last part even mean? Are we going to be following the SWB Dunder Mifflin Marauders or something?

2. Nesto says:

Imcluding Trenton?

3. Nesto says:

Including Trenton?

4. Mickey S says:

The Bombers

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Tampa Tarpons.

6. Mister D says:

I can think of two possibilities:

1. By using Yankees for Scranton and SI, someone feels the “real” Yankees brand name is being watered down (I would disagree, and love the way it reinforces the brand and legacy from top to bottom).

2. They realize that if all these teams are called “Yankees” and dress as Yankees, it might supress the marketing potential of the minor league teams. Only way to verify that would be to check the sales of Trenton vs SWB/SI merchendise.

7. southeryankeefan says:

I don’t like this. Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought George liked it like that because once you were drafted you were a “Yankee” and should conduct yourself accordingly.

I probably made that up but its something I always thought was cool how every level was the Yankees and not some cheesy minor league team name.

8. Mr. Furious says:

I don’t think that the people in the Scranton area would be too terribly broken up to see the old Red Barons name return.

On a tangentially related note, I wouldn’t mind seeing the “Wilkes-Barre” dropped from the team’s name when the sale goes through, given Luzerne County’s conduct in regards to the franchise over the years, especially recently.

9. Bavarian Yankee says:

who cares what the nicknames of the minor league affiliates are? Call them whatever, “Douches”, “Weirdos”, “Cookie Monsters” (and sign David Ortiz :D). No one cares how they’re called.

10. Sandman says:

What’s next, a crackdown on little league teams?

11. Yes That One says:

I like it. There should only be one team called the Yankees. And the minor league teams can pick a mascot with local significance, which people should like. For example, I see on Wikipedia that the Scranton area was once populated by the Scahentoarrhonon people.

The Scranton Wilkes-Barre Scahentoarrhonons. I like it.

12. I think this is kind of silly. I like that they’re called the Yankees. Whatever.

13. FIPster Doofus says:

The Los Angeles Angels of Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

14. CMP says:

Glad to see after getting bounced out of the playoffs in the first round they’re focusing on important matters.

15. Paul VuvuZuvella (formerly Nuke LaDoosh) says:

Isn’t Pawtucket the PawSox. Maybe Scranton can be the Scrankees. I’m aligned with Tampa being the Tampons.

16. Since they can’t use “Clippers,” I kinda like “SWB Iron Horses.”

17. Crosetti32 says:

One of the teams should use the name “Highlanders” I think the yankees would cream their pants over that.

18. Juke Early says:

Just like naming your kid after yourself — that’s a lame dynastic move. A distinctive entity deserves its own identity in life. Minor leaguers are not Yankees yet. In my region, the Salem VA team, which changes affiliations more than most guys change their “socks,” is now affiliated w/the Bostons. Naturally, they are now the Red Sox. Who wants to be as unimaginative as those fatheads. Of course, now, those wannabes will probably… oh never mind.

19. Darren says:

The Clippers were the Clippers for a long time and Bobby Meacham didn’t seem to mind.

20. Westcoastyankfan says:

I understand that the Yankees also asked the state of New York to stop calling itself New York.

21. Alex C. says:

Staten Island Baby Bombers??

I mean that’s what they call the team sometimes.

22. Alex C. says:

Staten Island Baby Bombers??

I mean that’s what they call the team sometimes.

I don’t know about Scranton and Tampa.

23. Midland TX says:

Some famous Scrantonians who could lend a name:

Joe Biden
    P.J. Carlesimo
    Jerry Orbach
    Bill O’Reilly

24. Aj says:

The Whitey whackers over the unfortunate Whitey Ford pretzel incident.

25. pete says:

The S-WB Masons. If you don’t like having a box of paper for the team logo, superimpose The Free Mason’s logo on it too! If you dont’ like the WB Mason guy as the mascot, use Jim Mason!

26. Bob Stone says:

I, for one, vote for a marketing strategy of extending the Yankee name everywhere. Failing to do that, I would like to see a uniform minor league name like those suggested above (Hghlanders, Bombers, etc).

If George Steinbrenner was still alive, I think he would have wanted a uniform marketing presence by using the Yankee brand up and down the system.