Nov

Open Thread: A Darrell Rasner Follow-Up

(Michael Heiman/Getty Images)

Earlier this week I wrote about former Yankee Darrell Rasner, on the anniversary of the day when his rights were sold to the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan. I have two quick follow-up items to post, the first an email from Rasner’s father, Darrell Sr., who was nice enough to clarify what happened to his son this past season…

Mike: Darrell Jr. had a groin pull in early May after a 2-2 start. He returned in mid July as a closer and saved 17 games, 1 hold, 1 win and 1 loss in 22 appearances. He never closed before and considering he had to learn on the fly, not bad. FYI.

Good to hear he’s doing well, minus the groin injury. Secondly, NPB Tracker reports that Rasner and Rakuten have agreed to a new contract for next season, which will pay him $1.5M plus performance bonuses. That’s exactly why guys like D-Ras head to Japan, to land paydays they were unlikely to find here. Good for him, that’s some pretty nice scratch for a year’s work.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. There’s a bunch of college football on, plus all three hockey locals are in action. You can talk about anything your heart desires here, it’s all fair game.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jesse says:

Ah, the days of depending on Dan Guise, Darrell Rasner, and Sidney Ponson to make the postseason.

I’m glad those days are over…

2. themgmt says:

Must be a really slow off-season to warrant not 1 but 2 Rasner updates.

3. The 2008 Yankees won 89 games despite having thirty of them started by either Rasner or Sidney Ponson.

4. MannyGeee says:

Hate to say it, but I actually miss basketball… Not into hockey, and there truly ain’t dick on the TV tonight.

Damn you, rich guys fighting with other rich guys!

5. Nightwing says:

Anyone else find this to be stupid?
    Tbh, I like the rule.

6. Jimmy McNulty says:

So a lot of people were talking about the Union’s interest in the draft and hard slotting, lets look at the first round of the 2008 draft and see the guys who are already big leaguers:

Eric Hosmer, Buster Posey, Lonnie Chisenhall, Brian Matusz, Gordon Beckham, Ike Davis, Daniel Schlereth, Justin Smoak, Jemile Weeks, Brett Lawrie, Brett Wallace, Pedro Alavarez, and Andrew Cashner.

There’s also Gerrit Cole, Yonder Alonso, Ryan Perry, and Aaron Hicks on the way. Christian Friedrich and others still have time to turn their careers around.

Suffice it to say I’d say the first round bonus issues should be pretty important to the union teams, especially considering that teams are getting better at drafting I’d say there’s a legit chance that 2/3 or so first rounders will make the majors in the near future. Thus, it should be important to the union.

• RetroRob says:

I really don’t get what you’re saying. Actually, I think I do get what you’re saying, but it doesn’t make any sense. Eventually the MLB union will represent whatever players eventually make it to the major leagues. It doesn’t have to be the guys you mentioned; it could be other players, or most likely those same players. The Union cares about the players they represent NOW, not who they might represent in the future. As long as MLB exists, there will be players the union represents. Those are the ones they care about…as soon as they’re part of the union.

7. Jesse says:

Really hoping USC wins to shake up the BCS.

8. Yu aint Matsuzaka says:

Side note that wasn’t mentioned in this thread as of yet:

Final game of the 2011 N.P.B season tonight.
    I’d expect a Announcement sometime tomorrow once it’s monday over in Japan regarding whether or not Yu Darvish will be posted.

9. FachoinaNYY says:

Montero was signing autographs in Syracuse, NY today. I got two balls and a bat. Can’t say much about him other than he seemed quiet. Cool experience overall, though it was pretty pricey!

10. Craig says:

I want John Danks on the Yankees as much as the next guy, but is he really a #2 to slot behind CC?

• Jesse says:

Not sure if he’s a “#2″ but at least he’d be a very good “#3″, IMO. Maybe with the help of Larry Rothschild he can take the next step.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Sure. Why not? Burnett was the Yankees’ No. 2 when they won the World Series in 2009. He gave them 200-plus average-ish innings. That’s good enough in my book. The Yankees have an ace; another would be nice, but they can get by with decent complementary pieces behind CC. That’s what Danks is, basically.

The Cardinals certainly didn’t have an all-world No. 2 this past season, but it didn’t preclude them from winning it all.

• MannyGeee says:

meh, dont put baby in a corner. you cant decide whos gonna be a #1,#2,#3 until October. you need a stable pitcher to take the ball every 5 games and give you 200+IP of non embarrrasment. label Danks what you want in terms of pole position, hes gonna be what he is.

FWIW I am sorta lukewarm on Danks and I am a big Romine fan, but I make that deal TODAY if hes the centerpiece. a still young, still decent ML starter for a non pitching prospect in a position of strength? all day long kid.

• FIPster Doofus says:

CC is No. 1. Everyone knows it. Whatever happens after that is a lot harder to predict. Entering last season, nobody expected Nova and Garcia to be taking the ball in the second and third playoff games.

Anyway, Danks for Romine+? Get it done.

• RetroRob says:

AJ Burnett was declared the #2, although I always viewed Pettitte as the #2.

11. Craig says:

This whole Cespedes thing irks me; teams are apparently gushing over him to the point of a $50 million payroll and he’s never seen MLB or MiLB. All this over a YouTube video? Hell, I’ll get in shape too and post a video f me doing athletic things.

12. Soriano is a Liar says:

So Darrell Rasner Sr. read RAB, and just wanted to check in with some info? Or is it the more likely but less awesome scenario that Mike or another writer just sent him an e-mail inquiring…

13. bankers hours says:

I doubt we can get Danks for Romine but if we can do it as long as there are no other top players involved.

14. Pat D says:

Wow, the BCS is gonna look f’ed up tomorrow.

Especially if Baylor holds on.

15. Jose M. Vazquez.. says:

In a 19Nov 11 column in the Daily News I saw a proposed trade of AJ Burnett and Jayson Bay. The reasons: both have 2 years left in their contracts, both make 16mila year, both have worn out their wellcome and finally,they coiuld both use a change of scenery. I would make that trade although I don’t know where I would play Bay except for platooning him wit Gardner or maybe occasional DH when Montero catches. Anybody out there agree this is a good trade for both?

16. Anthony says:

Fun quiz I made up on Sporcle. Try it out!