Nov

Orioles have asked to interview Oppenheimer about GM gig

Via Buster Olney, the Orioles have asked the Yankees for permission to interview amateur scouting director Damon Oppenheimer for their still vacant GM job. Olney says they might also have interest in pro scouting director Billy Eppler, who was the runner-up to Jerry Dipoto for the Angels GM position.

Baltimore has already offered the job to two very qualified candidates (Dipoto and Blue Jays’ assistant GM Tony LaCava), but both have turned it down. These are highly-coveted gigs, there are only 30 GM jobs out there, and to have two people turn it down is pretty damning for the O’s. Danny Knobler reported yesterday that owner Peter Angelos would not let LaCava bring in his own front office people, which is just mind-numbingly stupid. Be glad you weren’t born an Orioles fan, folks.

Categories : Asides, Front Office

1. Will says:

No! You can’t have our Opp!

2. bonestock94 says:

Not really threatening

3. meaty balls says:

what a jerk, yea you can run our team but you cant have any say in anything,,, skeet skeet

4. Greg c89 says:

But I WAS born an O’s fan. Not all Yankees fans are born that way and live in New York, believe it or not. Plus, when I was a kid the O’s were winners ( well, before they became the biggest losers a few years later) and the Yankees sucked. But I picked them anyway.

5. S says:

Another reason to dislike those orange douches

6. Thomas Cassidy says:

I’d tell them to go fuck off. Angelos is a douche-bag. They can only talk to those two if they compensate us, that’s what I’d say. I want a posting fee.

7. Dave203 says:

Sure no problem… Wieters for Opp… done deal…

8. Urban says:

Just because two other people turned the job down doesn’t mean D.O. will turn it down, and if he does, then they’ll probably go after Eppler. As noted, these are coveted jobs and neither Oppenheimer or Eppler have Assistant GM titles, let alone GM titles, on their resumes, so I can see one of them taking the job. Who knows, maybe Angelos will give them a bit more freedom after what happened with the two other candidates.

9. DERP says:

I thought their contracts were up. Why do they need to ask for permission?

10. Soriano Is A Liar says:

1) Baltimore hires Opp

2) Fans descend on RAB with Nick Swisher for Adam Jones+Brian Matusz trade proposals (bonus points if they say Rothschild can “fix” Matusz)

3) Facepalm

11. E-ROC says:

I was actually an O’s fan before becoming a Yankee fan.

12. Kevin says:

Will they disrespect Flanagan if they say no?*

*All due respect,the O’s tried to use his death as a shield as an excuse for why they were screwing the Yanks over.

13. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

Ok here’s the game plan – Opp goes to Baltimore & pulls a Trojan Horse move – through a series of trades unloads Orioles top prospects in trade with Cash. After several big time trades Cash takes Levines job as president & Opp comes back as GM.

• Alibaba says:

Kicking Levine off will be a huge plus, but won’t happen. Normally, I always favor giving permission in such cases. But, given the owner, I think that the Yankees should refuse and then explain why to Opp.