Open Thread: 2/17 Camp NotesBy
The big story of the day is obviously the imminent trading of A.J. Burnett to the Pirates for $13M in salary relief and two “prospects,” a deal that is only pending physicals and MLB approval. Meanwhile, here’s the latest from Tampa…
- Joba Chamberlain threw off a half-mound again, and he’ll do so three more times next week. He’ll then get up on a full mound for the first time during rehab the following week. “I’ve been very blessed not to have had anything go wrong,” he said. (Anthony McCarron & Erik Boland)
- Michael Pineda is currently at 280 lbs. but said he’s most comfortable at 270. He’ll drop the ten extra pounds during camp. Remember, he’s 6-foot-7, so his 280 isn’t like Bartolo Colon‘s 280. (Boland)
- CC Sabathia lost a ton of weight this offseason (again), and he’s had conversations with the Yankees about maintaining his weight during the course of the season. It’s unclear if Sabathia or the team initiated said conversations. (Buster Olney)
- “I just want to be in the rotation. I don’t mind if I’m number one, two, three, or five,” said Ivan Nova. “I don’t care. I just want to be in the rotation and win games.” My guess? He’ll be the three to open the season, which means nothing. (Boland)
- There was no on-field batting practice for the big leaguers today, but a bunch of pitchers threw bullpens. Nameless, mystery pitchers. (McCarron)
Here’s your open thread for the night. The Devils and Knicks are playing tonight, and reportedly MSG and Time Warner have struck a deal so New Yorkers can actually see what all this Linsanity stuff is all about. Not sure if the network will be back on in time for tonight’s game, however. Talk about whatever you like here.