Mar

Andy Pettitte to attempt 2012 comeback in the Bronx

It came out of nowhere, which makes it all the better. Minutes ago Jack Curry reported that the Yankees have signed Andy Pettitte to a one-year, $2.5 million minor league deal that does not include any incentives. Joel Sherman has since confirmed the report. At 1 p.m. the YES Network will have more details. Chances are Pettitte won’t be ready for Opening Day — he does need to get into the swing of things — but he’ll be around for the 2012 season. Forget Michael Pineda. Forget Hiroki Kuroda. This is the most exciting news of the off-season.

Update by Ben (1:03 p.m.): According to multiple reports, Pettitte got the itch to rejoin the club when he visited Spring Training a few weeks ago. After considering a return throughout the off-season, he reached out to the club recently, and the team responded in kind. As Sherman reported, Yankee sources said, “It’s Andy Pettitte; if he wants to come back, we say yes.”

For now, Pettitte’s comeback attempt — and that’s what this is — will have little impact on the starting rotation. Pettitte, who turns 40 in June, will have to work his way back into game-ready condition, and the Yanks plan to give him as much time as he needs. He should probably be viewed as an option come mid-May or even early June. Much depends upon the current condition and the shape of his left arm and legs.

When or if Pettitte is ready to return to the Majors, the Yanks will have the luxury of seven viable starters. He could slot in behind CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda while taking pressure off of the young Ivan Nova and Michael Pineda with Freddy Garcia and Phil Hughes in the wings. Pettitte’s return would also make Garcia, signed to just a $4 million deal, a potential trade chip.

It’s something to think about how, just over two months ago, the Yanks were facing a shortage of starting pitchers but now find themselves awash in arms.

Update by Mike (2:01 p.m.): In an appearance on YES, Brian Cashman said the team offered Pettitte a substantial contract back in December, around $10-12MM. He decided to work out on his own to see how he felt before accepting, but basically told the team to plan on now having him. Following the Pineda and Kuroda moves, Cashman told Pettitte to stop working out because they didn’t have room for him. Andy kept going and here we are.

Categories : Pitching

1. Cy Pettitte says:

can’t even put into words how happy I am.

oh my fucking god yes.

2. JobaWockeeZ says:

He’ll be a great 5th starter.

3. Joe R says:

We found our second LOOGY!

4. Adam says:

Wow, totally shocking. What does it mean for the rotation long term? Who gets bounced?

5. PhillyMatt says:

Expectations at 39?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Less of a mystery than Hughes. I think he’ll be better.

• Knoxvillain says:

21-7, 2.28, 234ks.

If he doesn’t post something similar he better go home!

I’m glad he’s back though. Nearly shit my pants after I checked to see if it was April Fool’s Day and it wasn’t.

6. Joe R says:

But really tho, im kinda nervous as to why its happening. Has to mean something went wrong no?

• Cuso says:

No. It means what he didn’t want to admit all along.

The family was a convenient excuse. The potential Clemens trial was too much of a burden to bear to think he could continue to pitch last year.

• Nathan says:

This.

He probably felt it wouldn’t be fair to the team to commit to pitch while having to worry about possibly getting called into court.

I felt all along that Andy wasn’t done but wasn’t sure he would be able to leave the family life after getting a taste of it.

Regardless of his reasons or what not, welcome back #46!

7. Johnny O says:

Someone get suzyn waldman’s reaction

8. Damix says:

Funny, I just mentioned him in yesterdays chat.

9. Ray Fuego says:

Will there be a trade? Freddy or Hughes leaving town?

• Cuso says:

If they get to mid-May and everyone is healthy and Pettitte is ready to go pitch, then Sweaty Freddy will be a trade chip.

But that’s a big “if” on several levels.

10. Craig says:

So, Hughes is expendable then? Garcia is obviously going to be moved toward the deadline.

11. Rich in NJ says:

This thing about never having too much pitching? It may be wrong.

But YAY!

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hughes is a question mark, Garcia is replacement level, Pettitte is 39 and Phelps and Warren are prospects. The depth is sufficient but yeah it’s not too much at all…

12. Grit for Brains says:

::::HEAD EXPLODES:::::

13. Mister D says:

“How do you say no?” – Yankees front office

“WTF???” – Bernie Williams

14. Slu says:

Wow. I don’t see where he fits, but there will be an injury or two eventually. Happy to see him back though.

15. DM says:

I hate the move. I checked fangraphs — he did absolutely NOTHING last year.

16. PhillyMatt says:

I believe he wants to start game 7 of the world series and have mo close it for #28 and the both of them ride off into the sunset…

17. Garcia says:

I can’t see him transitioning to the bullpen at this point. That starter mentality would be too tough for a competitor like Andy to shake. Maybe he gets in shape by April and we feel comfortable shopping Hughes if some contender suffers a big injury. Keep Freddy in the pen and spot-start him so Andy gets his rest. This is mostly just me convincing myself that this will work out amazingly.

At the very least we should keep him in shape for the entire season and then add him to the roster just in time to have him playoff-eligible. I’ll take him at 39 over most other guys in a must-win game.

• Havok9120 says:

No kidding. I’d line him up ahead of anyone else as #4 unless he’s just totally lost it in the last 16 months or so.

18. BronxBombers98 says:

YES!!! Best news of the offseason!!!

19. jsbrendog says:

wtf. so we needed him last yr he says f u and now he is singlehandedly fucking hughes? dont the yanks ened to see if hughes can be a starter for their austerity budget? or at least for trade value? i love andy butcome on. selfish.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hughes won’t get the shaft unless he gets hurt which is very possible, or if he sucks which is also very possible. And he hasn’t earned shit that his spot is a definite. Not compared to everyone else on the rotation.

• DM says:

He never got to take a curtain call and wave good-bye. I think Mo and he hammered this out in the clubhouse — or in the pew.

• Ted Nelson says:

Hughes is a FA before 2014, so unless they extend him before that he’s going to be at market value when the $189 budget kicks in.

• Havok9120 says:

Yes, DAMN HIS EYES for wanting to experience family life for a bit after a couple decades in baseball and before kids start growing up too fast.

Selfish schmuck.

20. Brandon says:

I am one of the happiest people alive right now. So fucking amped!!!!!!

This, IMO, means that Freddy is likely hurt for alittle longer and will be the long man/spot starter and the battle for 5 is between Hughes and Pineda, which Hughes, IMO, will likely win. I would not be the least bit surprised if Pineda starts out in the minors. Its quite obvious the Yankees are not pleased with him what so ever. Once Andy is ready, there will be some wheeling and dealing, and in all honesty, I am thinking it might be Pineda to be on that chopping block which makes the Montero deal look even worse. Damnt, Andy, why couldnt you make this decision in say, January?

21. Pinade is greata says:

Word is he threw a very impresive BP. He seems to still have major league stuff.

22. Stratman9652 says:

Perhaps why they cleared Dickerson’s 40 man spot before ST?

23. Don W says:

Checks calendar to see if it’s actually April 1st. Nope…WTF!?!!?

24. ND Mike says:

I see no confirmation from other sources. Sounds like someone is jerking someone around to me…

25. Esteban says:

bex just died

26. CC says:

OH MY ANDY

27. Pinade is greata says:

Andy will have to earn a rotation spot.

• Ed M says:

Are you kidding? Andy more than earned a rotation spot. I would much rather have Andy than Sweaty Freddie or Hughes any day. Are you serious going to say that you wouldn’t want Andy on the mound instead of Garcia in a playoff or WS game?

• Needed Pitching says:

how about we wait and see if Andy has anything left in the tank first

• Ed M says:

I agree. However, he wouldn’t come back unless he had something in the tank. He has nothing to prove. He walked away form 10 million in December. Today, he is still a better pitcher than Hughes, Garcia, or Kuruda. When push comes to shove, I would want him on the mound over them any day.

• Needed Pitching says:

” Today, he is still a better pitcher than Hughes, Garcia, or Kuruda”

Maybe, maybe not. He does have something to prove. He has to prove he can still get major league hitters out and stay healthy enough to do it after a year away.

I think he likely can, but it is far from certain.

28. Bartolo says:

OMG.

Also does he only make the 2.5M if he pitches in the majors?

29. E from NY says:

Makes sense to me. Hughes would probably be on some sort of innings limit coming back from a shortened 2011 season. It gives the Yankees another in-house option if fatigue or a change needs to be made. It’s like mashing two part time starters into one. I like it.

30. Ross the Albatross says:

My guess is they are looking at AP as another Garcia. Freddie won’t stay healthy all year, and we know that the most we can expect out of him is something similar or slightly less than last year. Hughes is still young enough that he has more upside potential. I don’t think they are looking at this as a way to eliminate the need for Hughes as a starter.

I’m not saying I think Phil will become a solid starter….he might, and he might not. It’s possible Phil will fail this year and end up a permanent bullpen pitcher. But I don’t think they would be thinking of Andy as a contingency for Phil this year.

31. Chris G. says:

He will be a player coach and teach Manny Banuelos to be a True Yankee. Did anyone tell him that Scranton doesn’t have a home field?

32. Steve (different one) says:

Is it April Fools? I mean, I LOVE Andy Pettitte, but this can’t be true, can it?

33. Gerald Williams says:

It’s also reported here… http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/b.....quiet-camp

34. Holy Ghost says:

Love and Hate this move. I was hoping to see Manny B get called up in the event that Garcia or Hughes get hurt.

• Havok9120 says:

Good Lord, what’s the rush guy?

• Delaware - Ralph says:

Seriously… I mean I want to see him also but one last look and Andy! Come on!

• Havok9120 says:

Not only that, but his control has been flukey, and not just in Spring. It went from his calling card to a bit of a ?. I’m not worried, but can we at least get him a full season of AAA before we throw him to the wolves? Or are we just itching to try and screw up a pitcher so that we can restart the “the Yank33s sux0rz w1th p1tch3rz” narrative?

35. Bartolo's Colon says:

this is awesome, I can’t wait until 5 or 6 years from now when mo comes back to pitch. it will be like this, only much cooler

36. Esteban says:

Can’t believe what just happened.

37. bexarama says:

I haven’t commented in months but HOLY HOLY SHIT A:LJGDLKA:GJLKSJG:LSDGLLDJGK:SGrpot0

38. IBN Goon Squad says:

#IBN had this first.

39. DM says:

I’m glad everyone is being objective about this. Andy will be 40 in June, didn’t pitch last year, no ST — but he’s already bumping someone.

I like the move b/c you can never have enough — but no one shows a hint of doubt about him being effective or healthy? Amazing.

• RkyMtnYank says:

You would probably be hunted down and killed for such a thing here, but, I am in that category. AP is not going to give you anything better than Hughes/Phelps/Warren/Mitchel etc.. hasn’t for years, unless it’s maybe in the post season. I like Andy but I don’t see a need or reason for this at all.

• bill says:

132 ERA+ in 2010. I think that’s better than any of the pitchers that you’ve listed have ever done.

• Needed Pitching says:

this.
          Saying he hasn’t done anything better in years than a bunch of guys who haven’t done anything yet (except Hughes) is flat out ridiculous. Pettitte certainly shouldn’t be guaranteed anything until he shows he has enough left in the tank though.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

0.00 ERA in 2011. That’s a Cy Young number right there.

• DM says:

I don’t know if the $ is guaranteed (hope not) — but no one knows what he can do at this point. That’s my issue; but here he’s been instantly vaulted up the ladder. I could see him looking fine and filling in here or there this season — or pitching to a 5.00 era and wallowing — or shutting it down with a sore elbow.

• Havok9120 says:

Its a MiLB deal, so not guaranteed.

Aside from the collective Fangasm going on, the reason this kind of talk is happening is because, as stated above, his 2010 was better than Hughes has ever pitched and than Garcia has pitched in a decade (if even then). Nothing should be (or will be, methinks)handed over to him by default, but the guy is a very, very, very good pitcher.

Heck, he’d have a good shot at being Boston’s #4. There’s something we can brag about.

• DM says:

“but the guy is a very, very, very good pitcher.”

I don’t disagree much — but I’d alter your statement above — change “is” to “was” and add “the last time we saw him over a year ago.” It’s not about Hughes or Garcia. It’s about Andy of old vs what he is now. Do you remember when Clemens came back to the Yankees mid-season on his white horse? Not the same pitcher.

Hmmm… I wonder what the reaction would be if Ibanez had retired after 2010, then came back and signed in 2012 after a year off. The time off at that age has to be a consideration. And those who speak of “whose spot is Andy taking??” at this point are slightly off the reservation.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, no doubt they are. My stance is that nothing has changed until and unless Andy shows he can get ready and be effective.

However, I fully expect both of those things to happen. I really don’t think he’d come back if he didn’t think he could do it, and unlike a lot of pitchers who depend on pure (and ever diminishing) stuff, I trust him to know his limits fairly well. I did not, and never did, trust Clemens the same way. Perhaps that’s just me.

40. Bartolo's Colon says:

so its only a matter of time before they dfa ibanez and bring posada back to hit lefties for a core 4 reunion tour

41. A.D. says:

I really don’t understand this, at all.

• ROBTEN says:

Neither do I.

It’s fine if he’s willing to stay in the minors as depth, but I would imagine that they indicated that there’s more than a small chance he’ll be called up when he’s ready. Otherwise, why would be come back at 40?

It seems to me that it is some indication that someone (Hughes?) is going to be traded and they don’t feel like any of the young starters are ready to take on a significant portion of the season if necessary.

Rotation (after May/June?):

CC
      Kuroda
      Pineda
      Pettitte
      Nova/Garcia

• Havok9120 says:

Breathe. Cashman made it pretty clear that the seat was open primarily because of Andy’s True Yankee ™ status, and because Cash had offered him a spot previously.

42. Chris says:

There goes Hughes and Garcia. Someone is getting traded.

43. Gerald Williams says:

I will be soooooooooo pissed in Pineda goes to the minors. They’d just be babying him like Joba and Hughes… look where that philosophy got us. Let the kid go out there and work it out. He’s got the stuff, and the Yanks are good enough to let him figure it out in the PROS. We didn’t trade Montero for a minor league player who can’t throw over 92!

• Landry says:

Easy, chicken little.

• Ted Nelson says:

Joba was never once sent back down to the minors… which a lot of people think is a big part of the problem…

And how does pitching in the minors or majors change whether he throws over 92 MPH exactly?

44. Granderslam says:

What about potential Bullpen role as well?

45. boomer says:

sabathia nova kuroda pineda hughes garcia pettitte. trade one, other to the bullpen. eventually

46. Robinson Tilapia says:

I think the biggest news of the day is that JobaWockeez and I agree on this.

Way too early to think about role or how it affects anything. The team will have its five starters at the start of the season, he’ll get into baseball shape, and we’ll go from there. Where it leads is something none of us know yet.

All I know is that this is ANDY F’ING PETTITTE and when he says, “I want an opportunity to come back,” you say, “yes, Andy” and root for him to be the best pitcher he can be.

47. UncleArgyle says:

Huh. Glad to have him back, but pretty flabergasted by this. Nice to have another lefty. Wonder if he can still bring it at 40 after a year off.

• Havok9120 says:

Your namesake was a badass even a decade or more older AND with only one eye.

Andy’s got this.

/fourthwall’d

48. rek4gehrig says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMg. I’m so happy I could cry. I cant wait to see the STARE

49. Matthaggs says:

Multiple unnamed sources report Suzyn Waldman just had a mild stroke while masturbating. Attempting to confirm.

50. CJ says:

This is crazy Ninja. Or does this go down as Stein-Ninja?

• Steve (different one) says:

Neither, it’s Pett-ninja.

He called them. There is no way you say no at that price. Too much upside.

51. paul a says:

Can Jorge Posada be far behind ?

52. Fernando says:

I don’t like this move at all. They needed him last year, but do they really need him this year. They have a lot of guys knocking on the door in AAA. I love Pettitte, but he’s been gone for a year and people are talking like he’s already the #2.

As for the silly comment above that said that this pushes Pineda to a 5th starter or minors, that’s just silly. Heck, let’s get Guidry and we can move Sabathia to the loogy role.

53. Erica says:

I’m excited. I’m very excited. I’m curious to see where this goes, how he factors into the rotation, what becomes of our excess starters. I wonder how much gas he has left in the tank but having seen the way Andy has played over the years – I don’t think he’d do it unless he knew he could.

Welcome back! This news certainly made a gloomy Friday in New York City that much more enjoyable.

54. CUYanks says:

We needed an extra starter for the potential one-game playoff.

55. Mike says:

What sort of return could we expect for Garcia? I am hoping for more than just salary relief.

• CJ says:

Garcia and phelps for parra.

• Fernando says:

I’d totally love to have Parra. Solid glove, great arm, decent speed, young and hits for a decent average. Plus, nice insurance against having to use Ibanez or Jones in the OF. And even more insurance should they decide to not sign Swisher.

• Havok9120 says:

I’d love to see it, but what little I’ve read says that that doesn’t come close to getting it done.

That DOES sound about right for Dom Brown if the Phillies wanted more pitchers for their collection though. I’m not a Dom Brown fan, however.

56. matthaggs says:

“If Posada and/or Bernie Williams calls, I am NOT here and you don’t know when I’ll be back.” – Brian Cashman

57. RetroRob says:

Memo to Mariano Rivera:

Mo, spending time with family not all it’s cracked up to be. Don’t retire.

See you soon,

Andy

58. john says:

Andy Pettitte for prospect watch!

59. Mike HC says:

Love it. Maybe he doesn’t plan on this being only one year if it goes relatively well.

Ease him into it this year, use him in a couple different roles maybe depending on injury, and then have him as a legitimate rotation option next year.

We lost one legend (Jorge) and we gained back another (Pettitte). Odd.

60. Dicka24 says:

Awesome news, but a couple of points.

1) Pettitte is 39 and over a year removed from competitive ball. There’s no guarantee that he’ll even pitch for the Yankees. Should he struggle in his minor league tune up starts, which I presume there will be, he might hang em up for good.

2) If he does make it back to the Yankees it won’t be until May or June. So there’s no need to alter the plan that’s already in place.

CC
    Kuroda
    Nova
    Pineda
    Hughes

LM: Garcia

3) The guys in place are no locks to perform, nevermind stay healthy. CC & Kuroda are the most likely to produce. After that Pineda is a second year starter moving to the AL East. Nova is pitch to contact, middle of the rotation youngster who could very well struggle. Then there’s Hughes who no one has true confidence in, and Garcia who most of us think over achieved last year. While I hope all 6 are pitching awesome come June, the likelyhood of that being the case, as well as healthy, is slim imo.

Last) Should Pettitte make it back, I’d guess Hughes to the pen, Garcia moved. That or one of the younger guys (pineda/Nova) being sent down if they struggle. Hope it’s not Pineda cuz the fans will go ape shit after trading Montero for him.

61. paul a says:

I wonder how Red Sox nation is taking this news. They’re crying for starting pitching and we are now knee deep.

62. Mike HC says:

I also think Andy smells a WS title with this team and wants in, ha.

63. Virgil Earp says:

Why didn’t he come back last year when we needed him? Now he’s going to have a fight on his hands just to make the rotation. This means Phil and Freddy in the pen because Andy Pettitte is a starting pitcher.

• Steve (different one) says:

He didn’t even want to come back 3 months ago. He changed his mind. And it cost him $8M, so he’s not BSing.

64. Anthony says:

this is one the best things i have heard in a while…my cuz posted it on fb and i didnt believe till i checked it out…awesome…the rotation will be like this barring any major injuries come oct:
    1 cc
    2 nova (think he is our number 2 till proven otherwise)
    3 pineda
    4 kuroda
    5 hughes
    spot starter garcia
    now thats what i call a rotation! go yanks!

65. Gonzo says:

Andy with some of the youngsters in the farm system for a couple months is always great no matter the MLB goal outcome.

66. anthony says:

shit forgot to put pettite in thier lol andy and hughes splitting time as the 5th starter garcia spelling everyone or injury replacement

67. Monterowasdinero says:

Thank you Mrs. Pettitte. You have just made a fairly boring ST much more exciting.

The Empire State Yankees and Andy Pettitte. A collector’s jersey!

68. forensic says:

Maybe they could also sign Ford, Guidry, and Wells to ensure no pitching prospect ever has an opportunity in this organization. Oh, and Brian Gordon too, since that was so important last season.

He’s 40 and hasn’t pitched in over a year. What a waste of time, roster spot, and money.

• BigDavey88 says:

Minor league deal.

• forensic says:

Which they still have to pay. Which still gives him starts over guys who could actually have a future.

• Needed Pitching says:

they pay if he makes the team, most likely the 2.5M is non-guaranteed

“Which still gives him starts over guys who could actually have a future.”

There are plenty of starters in the Yankee system that have 0 future as major league starters, hell even Kei Igawa still got some starts for the Yankees last year. It’s entirely possible Pettitte contributes more to the Yankees this season than 80% of the starters in the Yankee system ever will.

• forensic says:

It’s not a spring training invite. It’s a full contract that they have to pay even while in the minors. And I’m not even going to get into the prospects. They only have no future because of the organization they were unlucky enough to be stuck in. Theyball must wake up every day hoping for a call they’ve been traded.

• Havok9120 says:

No, no they don’t. Non-guaranteed means he gets paid if he makes the team other than (I assume) the MiLB minimum.

As for the rest of your ragepost….I get where you’re coming from. I do. But you’re acting like these guys have been ready and blocked for years. It was one season for God’s sake, really only, what, a half dozen starts? None of them were really ready during most of 2010 from what I recall.

Andy Pettitte’s last season, 16 months or so ago, was better than probably 2 of the three blocked guys will ever manage. And that has nothing to do with the organization, that has to do with the talent and skill of AP. If he sucks, we pay him a hundred grand and he never sees YS3′s mound again. If he’s anywhere near 2010 form, he’ll get the starts. Know why?

Because he’ll do better than Phelps and Co. would in the same situation. And probably better than Freddy, too. Breathe.

• Needed Pitching says:

Most of the starters (over 50%) in the Yankee system have no future as a starter with ANY ORGANIZATION. Are you really that concerned that Andy might take a few of their minor league starts???

• Needed Pitching says:

” If he is added to the major league roster, he gets a $2.5 million deal.”

• David says:

Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes called. They respectfully disagree.

• Havok9120 says:

And Joba (not a well done introduction, but he got one).

Oh, and Robertston, Cano, Nunez, and Gardner also sent their regards. Chien-Ming Wang also poked his head into the clubhouse after the game to object.

Heck, it was this same leadership that thought putting the duo Kennedy and Hughes together in the 2008 rotation was a recipe for success.

• Steve (different one) says:

Stupid Yankees adding possibly excellent players at very low costs!

• forensic says:

With their budget constraints nothing is very low costs, especially several million. And I fail to see how a 40 year old pitcher who hasn’t pitched in over a year will be so excellent. And everyone seems to enjoy forgetting the several mediocre/barely above average years he had before that last fluke and injury shortened year.

• Needed Pitching says:

It’s entirely possible he won’t be excellent. It’s a minor league contract. He has a chance to show if he has enough left. If he does, this is a great signing. If he doesn’t, they lose virtually nothing.

And even league average for 2.5M is a tremendous value.
          And Pettitte managed at least 3.5 fWAR if 5 straight seasons (including 3 of at least 4.4) before his “fluke” year, hardly barely average.

• Steve (different one) says:

Lol. When were these “mediocre” years? 2009? Give me a break.

• forensic says:

2008 was mediocre and the three around it were barely above average, as were two of the three before that.

If not for the name Nobody would want anything to do with signing someone like this for $2.5 million to take roster spots from potential prospects and better MLB pitchers.

• Havok9120 says:

I’d love to get another ~4.4 fWAR pitcher. Even 3-3.5. Sign me up. That’s hardly something Joe Schmoo of the Orioles (or the BoSox for that matter) will throw out there this year.

If he does well, he gets paid and makes the team better for very little money. If he stinks, he makes dirt and losses a couple months of his time. You’re acting like we signed him for the next half decade.

• Needed Pitching says:

who is he potentially taking a spot from that would definitely better. If Andy isn’t pitching well, he won’t make the team. If he is pitching well, it’s entirely possible he would be better (or at least as good as) than Hughes, Garcia, and/or Nova

As for prospects, Banuelos and Bettances both could still use a full year in Triple A, and Mitchell/Phelps/Warren aren’t high ceiling guys. Delaying someone who MAY one day be good enough to be a decent 4/5 starter is really no big deal.

• Steve (different one) says:

You have a warped definition of “average”. Which probably explains why you are so angry about this: you don’t realize how good Pettitte is.

• Landry says:

Of all the BS to get upset about….

69. Dick says:

A possible scenario. Hughes has one more option left. If Hughes spends a few months of the 2012 season in the minors it would delay his free agency from after 2013 to 2014. In that way they could have Hughes as a starter in the austerity year without having to pay free agent wages.

70. RetroRob says:

I’ve always said that Pettitte strikes me as the type of pitcher who could remain effective into his early 40s. So now looking forward to his push for 300 wins in 2015!

Just kidding. Hoping he can help the team in 2012. I think he can.

71. velocitee says:

Cash said no, but Andy came back? lols.

• RetroRob says:

…and cost himself $7.5-$9.5 in the process.

No issue with the Yankees offering him a minor league deal that could result in a $2.5 million salary if he makes it. I would have been much more concerned if they guaranteed him $10-$12 million and a lock on one of the rotation spots.

72. Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s going to fit in where he fits in. Coming back at this age is more “love of the game” than anything else. If that means five strong starters force him into a bullpen role, it wouldn’t surprise me if he gladly takes it. Things, as we say every day, though, have a habit of working themselves out.

Feel free to offer the “Andy Pettite’s not coming back for no bullpen role” argument below.

• mustang says:

I don’t only think your right about the bullpen I think that’s the idea from go.

• forensic says:

No way he pitches in the bullpen. These old tenured guys run the organization. Much like jeter will never move defensively or in the lineup, like posada sits for one day and gets what he wants, pettitte will get whatever role he wants, wellbeing of the current and future of the organization be damned.

• Needed Pitching says:

and why Bernie is still the starting DH …

Oh wait

• forensic says:

Are you actually trying to assert that Bernie wasn’t around long past his usable time, especially in cf? Please…

Sigh.

And Mo should retire to make room for Joba and Betances. And Kuroda and Garcia are old, dump them. WE NEED TO GET THE PROSPECTS UP.

Except, wait, no we don’t. Because they probably wouldn’t be as good. If Andy has nothing, he goes home, if he’s good, he comes up. Either way it isn’t the end of the world. The B’s aren’t ready (or even close) and Mitchel, Warren, and Phelps, while probably all ready, aren’t exactly top-notch prospects.

You’re completely right about Posada, but you’re acting as if that’s the average. It isn’t. If anything, we rushed the last crop of pitchers and wrecked a season in the process. A crappy reason to slow the next crop down to a crawl, but we haven’t done that too badly.

• Needed Pitching says:

“These old tenured guys run the organization” – your statement

I’m asserting that the old guys don’t always get what they want.

If they did, Bernie would have worn the pinstripes longer.

If they did, Posada would have caught last season, instead of being relegated to platoon DH status.

73. Chip Off the Ol' Knoblauch says:

Listening to Cashman on YES. Apparently he and Andy were talking way back in December about him coming back. I wonder if Andy had said yes then if Montero would still be around…

• RetroRob says:

More likely Kuroda. They offered him the $10 million that went to Kuroda. The Montero/Pineda move is about a long-term arm.

• Chip Off the Ol' Knoblauch says:

I thought about that too. Though if they thought Manny and Betances were ready for 2013, they could’ve sucked up the extra money this year and had Montero, Manny, and Betances for 2013 and beyond. Fun stuff either. I’m happy he’s back and hope he’s got some left in the tank.

• Havok9120 says:

Nah, I don’t see it. Kuroda took over AP’s role and money after the 2011 guys weren’t quite up to snuff. Pineda was more about skipping out on spending 20+ million for one of the pitchers that may or may not be available this offseason.

74. Bavarian Yankee says:

wow, April 1st already? This is ridiculous tbh. I LOVE Andy Pettitte but I think this is a mistake. Is Brett Favre his new agent?

75. JFH says:

i love the news. but, wtf? this is out of nowhere!

2nd half rotation?
    1.cc
    2.kuroda
    3.pineda
    4.nova
    5.pettite?

76. I cannot fucking believe this! When I saw the email from the Yankees regarding this news, I thought I was getting an old message from two years ago. This is crazy, but I’m really glad he’s coming back as an insurance policy for the rotation. The crazier part of the story is that Cashman wanted him back for $10-12 mil in December. How desperate was that?

77. Harris says:

Andy Pettitte is like Nanny McPhee. When he is wanted, he does not show up. But when he is not needed, he shows up.

78. FIPster Doofus says:

This is insanity. I can’t even process it.

79. Monterowasdinero says:

I will be pleasantly surprised if Andy stays healthy enough to compete for us. Let’s see how the back and arm do. I am 30/70 against him being an effective starter in 2012 but it is still exciting and intriguing.

I would feel more confident in Jorge being a 2.5M lefty DH instead of Ibanez.

80. j says:

Pettite replaces Hughes in May. Hughes takes Joba’s old spot in the pen. Joba goes back to being a starter.

81. MikeO says:

Andy will get the ball if the Yankees find themselves in a one-game wild card playoff. There’s no one I’ve trusted more in a big game than Andy.

82. flamingo says:

I DON’T BELIEVE IT

83. forensic says:

I’m not even really in favor of $10 million for Kuroda. I can’t imagine if they had thrown that money away on Pettitte instead.

84. LiterallyFigurative says:

The Yankees might as well trade Warren and Phelps and Mitchell. They will NEVER get a chance to pitch on the big-league team.

Heck, the Yanks would have rather traded for Brian Gordon (really?!) to start two gameslast year than let one of these young guys pitch. Now, half the rotation has to be kidnapped and held for ransom for them to even get considered.

I love Andy, and I’m happy for him, but from an organizational standpoint, this has to be disheartening for some of the young arms.

• Needed Pitching says:

““They would rather pay $2.5 mil to a guy who didn’t even pitch last year than give me a shot.”

-a guy who was also very good the year before and is a Yankee legend, it’s not like they are being blocked by someone like Dontrelle Willis

• Ted Nelson says:

I guess you must subscribe to the Mayan 2012 prophecy?

And that whole bullpen thing, who needs it?

• CJ says:

Phelps Warren Mitchell are #8,9,10 starters. Never have too much pitching. These guys have to be pissed.

• FIn says:

The last organization I would want to be a prospect for is the Yankees. Its just too hard to get a shot at the big league team. The stars need to align for you. Even if you do get a shot, you better not struggle for long. Unless you are Phil Hughes, he has received more chances than any other prospect I can remember. Lets hope the Yankees faith in him pays off.

• Al says:

He is going to be a mentor to the young kids. How much can ManBan learn from Andy? I think a ton. This is not burning up the Yankee pocket. Phelps is not blocked because Andy aint pitching for more than this year. Its a minor league deal for a Yankee legend. What do you have for 2013? Freddy, Kuroda and Pettitte will not be in 2013 rotation

85. A.D. says:

Hopefully this can lead to a trade to bring in a young hitter

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

what would it take to get that Montero kid from Seattle? They’re not going anywhere anytime soon…

86. Manny's BanWagon says:

If Hughes is pitching well come June when Pettitte is ready, the Yankees are going to have an interesting dilemma.

• RetroRob says:

It’s not going to take Pettitte until June. He’s about a month behind the other pitchers. May 1.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

The guy hasn’t pitched competitively in about a year and a half.
        No way will he be ready in 6 weeks.

I’d guess early June is more like it.

• Havok9120 says:

It’ll all depend on what kinda shape his legs are in. No way for us to know yet. I think mid-late May at the latest. I’m with Rob, I very much doubt it takes till June.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I’m still not giving out hope on Phil Hughes.

I hope he can at least get 8-10 starts to hopefully prove himself a viable starter or once and for all show he can’t get the job done before he gets forever banished to the bullpen without being given a real chance.

87. Randi says:

Great to hear Andy coming back, but lets see exactly what he has first before we get overconfident about this guy.

88. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Way too lazy to find the link I predicted this months ago when Andy do that radio spot.

89. mustang says:

Andy Pettitte lefty reliever out of the pen:

1- The Money. The guy got offer 10-12 to start in December he is now going to settle for 2.5? 2.5 is reliever money not starter money.

2-He can walk away. It’s a lot easier for him and the team if he wants to walk away from a reliever role rather than a starter.

3- Farewell tour with Mo.

4- Feeds ego. Andy being called into hard situation to save the day feeds that larger ego very well.

5- Fits into the team needs.

If there a role for him as starter so be it, but I think Cashman made this move eyeing the pen and Andy knows it and is more than welling.

90. NRW Yankee says:

In Germany, when something that exciting yet surprising happens we have that saying “I werd narrisch!” which means I go nuts due to joy!!!!!!

My first Yankee Jersey was the one with the 46! I guess I get it out of the closet for tomorrow! I´m super-excitied and I´m looking forward to my next to NYC in September (the last long home-strech!). With any luck, look who might be a starter then ;-)

91. statboy yankopherson says:

anyone else think this was a joke when they saw it? talk about too good to be true

92. jack knife says:

OK ILL BE THE ASS LET ME FIRST SAY i LOVE aNDY pETTITE AND WHAT HE MEANT TO THE yANKEES IN THE PST. BUT THAT WAS THE PAST. i AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS MOVE BECAUSE IT AGAIN STUNTS THE GROWTH OF THE LEFTYS WE HAVE. IT BUMPS EVERYONE BACK A NOTCH. SO HERES THE DEAL YOU WANT PETITTE TAKE HIM AND SET THE OTHER KIDS FREE, LET THEM GO WHER THEY CAN PLAY TRADE THEM RELEASE THEM BUT LET THEM GO. TIME DOES NOT STAND STILL AND I WOULD THINK THAT THEY WANT OU ALSO SO GO AHEAD EVERYONE BLAST AWAY AT ME CAUSE I AM NOT EXCITED ABOUT HAVING MR PETITTE BACK

93. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Okay guys, I’ll come back to Melky in time, but I believe a handle change is in order. From now on I will comment as AndyisDandy.

94. bonestock94 says:

WTF WOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95. Michael says:

I am continuing RAB Conference South League™ created two years ago. The settings haven’t changed (6×6 with OBP and QS, 20 teams, H2H) and the league will continue to be renewed each year. I invite all committed fantasy managers to join. League activity has been great the past two seasons. Here is the link to join:

By chance, if any of you were part of this league last year and no more spots are left, leave me a reply. Many former managers from last season have their E-mails hidden on Yahoo! and could not be invited back, hence the openings.

96. FIn says:

Cant say I’m overly excited. A 40yr old that hasnt pitched in 2yrs. I love Petite, but I dont expect much out of him. If it was a major league deal I would actually be upset, but on a minor league deal, it cant hurt to have him as insurance against injuries/bad performances. What do they do with him if hes ready to play MLB and there is no place for him in the rotation?

• Evan3457 says:

Backup SS and C.

• Havok9120 says:

We’ll know when we get there. If Hughes or Nova is effective but not overpowering, I can certainly see one of them replacing Freddy as the longman. But only if AP earns it. I don’t think he (or Cash) would approve of an Andy Pettitte Sympathy Game.

Hal would though. It’d be freaking HUGE. AP never got a proper send off anymore than Moose did.

97. jack knife says:

dont u assholes worry about whether its caps or not why dont u worry about the content it will stunt the leftys growth asshole

98. great points altogether, you just gained a emblem new reader.

What could you suggest in regards to your post that you made a few
    days ago? Any positive?