Mar

Open Thread: 3/8 Camp Notes

(REUTERS/Mike Cassese)

Time to panic, the losing streak has hit four games. The Yankees lost to the Blue Jays 6-1 this afternoon. Ivan Nova got hit around pretty hard, allowing five runs on six hits (one homer and one double) in 2.2 IP before reaching his pitch count. He told Jack Curry that fastball command was the problem, but “I know I’m going to get it back.”

The lone run came on a Colin Curtis solo dinger, but the only other extra-base hit was a Ramiro Pena double. Mark Teixeira did single to left as a left-handed batter, so hooray for that. David Phelps and Dellin Betances weren’t great, but they didn’t allow any runs in 3.1 combined innings. Cesar Cabral allowed a run in his inning of work. That’s pretty much it, here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

Here is your open thread for the night. All three hockey locals are in action tonight, and MLB Network will be showing a game later on. Talk about whatever you like here, enjoy.

1. Johnny says:

Can anyone give an estimate on how likely it is for this thing with Dave turning out real bad? I don’t consider missing a couple of weeks of Spring and maybe missing Opening Day to be a crisis situation or anything, though it’s certainly unfortunate, but could this get any worse than that? DRob himself seems pretty nonplussed about it; on the other hand Girardi’s comments read like he’s fuh-reaking out about this.

• MannyGeee says:

Got to be something, “cause for concern” leaves me a little, well….. Concerned.

But without knowing what it is for sure, Who’s to say.

• jayd808 says:

It’s a lisfranc fracture. “Lisfranc joint injuries are rare, complex and often misdiagnosed, as this one was. Typical signs and symptoms include pain, swelling and the inability to bear weight.”

“Clinically, these injuries vary from mild sprains to fracture-dislocations. On physical examination, swelling is found primarily over the midfoot region. Pain is elicited with palpation along the tarsometatarsal articulations, and force applied to this area may elicit medial or lateral pain. Radiographs showing diastasis of the normal architecture confirm the presence of a severe sprain and possible dislocation.”

Fuck. I’m a programmer and even I can diagnose this.

“Negative standard and weight-bearing radiographs do not rule out a mild (grade I) or moderate (grade II) sprain. Reevaluation may be necessary if pain and swelling continue for 10 days after the injury” — so no one will know until the end of March. Least of all that numbnutz Girardi whose blind faith, trust and generosity of spirit borders on the murderous. If not the criminally insane.

In other words, trying to remain calm here, we are screwed, we are doomed, my friends. We won’t see David until June or July and by then he will have lost his thowing motion and like Chien Ming Wang will be released to the Nationals in 2014 following a shoulder injury brought on by favoring the tarsometatarsal articulations (Yes, I can pronounce that). David was one of my favorite guys, a key to the 28th championship.

The season is lost, gone. I hate to overreact but this is the end of my spring, my high pants for hope. What’s the losing streak now? Six games? I can’t stand it. It’s like that Red Sawks clubhouse guy and Dustin Pedroia have stolen my childhood all over again. Why did I get up today?

• whozat says:

It takes a while to come back from something like this. I’m working on one right now, and it’s been about two weeks. I can put weight on my foot again, but I can’t push off on the ball of my foot. At all. The risk is that DRob comes back early, compensates by overthrowing, and then Chien Ming-Wang happens.

• DM says:

He’ll miss time without being able to throw at all. So, he’ll need ST all over again. The fear factor is what others have alluded to. He has to be 110%. They have to be ultra cautious. His success is contingent more on his delivery than other pitchers. He’s sneaky fast b/c it. Any little change in that might make him less effective or lead to some other arm issue. And remember, he already had elbow issues a few years ago.

You move Soriano to the 8th inning. And let all those other arms in camp chase the carrot of that open spot.

2. velo says:

for games certainly is a lot!

3. MannyGeee says:

Up vote anything Tony Peña…. I fcking love that dude, seems to be incredibly well liked.

Seriously, you never hear, “you know who’s a dick? Tony Peña….. Reeeeeeeeeeeal asshole…”

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d much rather see Yankee pitchers figuring out the kinks, see what is working, what needs more work, and whatnot, this early in Spring Training. If it means ST losses and angina for some fans, then so be it.

Here’s to good news and a speedy recovery for D-Rob. While I want him back as soon as possible, the team would be able to weather the storm without him. It would mean Soriano being the Soriano we saw at the end of last year, the rest of the guys moving a step up the bullpen depth chart, and guys like Kontos showing that they belong in the big leagues. He may be the “vital piece” they’d be able to be without at the start of the season.

• forensic says:

Hey, four straight losses sucks whether it’s march, may, or august. Plenty of time left but I certainly hope to see some semblance of improvement over the next week of games, since very few mlb guys have actually done much good. One offensive starter hitting anything and one pitching starter getting through a good start isn’t impressive whenever it is. Ironically enough, the one good start was the most analyzed and criticized of any of them.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Wins and losses mean absolutely nothing in March. You may remember this from every other year Spring Training has existed.

• forensic says:

I didn’t say they mean anything, I said they suck, which they do. If you like watching losing teams and games, then I don’t know what to tell you.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s not about whether you like watching your team lose.

This is literally practicing with another team on the field right now. Guys are throwing pitches in situations they wouldn’t throw them in during the regular season because they want to see where they at. Where a player is at is not being judged on what their line on the box score says. Nova’s location was off, but his arm was strong. How the level of ability of a team can be judged on what is going on right now is beyond me.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

No one in their right mind watches spring training games with the expectation of their team winning every game.

Maybe getting to see some young guys play and do something good is about the best you can expect.

• Havok9120 says:

As far as I recall, we haven’t played down to our Spring Training record in several years. Losing in ST is just one more form of training. Looking at it from that perspective, it doesn’t suck much at all.

Losing teams suck when they’re losing games that matter. I don’t mind when we lose games when we have the division clinched and I don’t mind losing ST games. Such is life.

5. max says:

the post leads sarcastically with the “time to panic” because the Yanks are losing ST games, but if ever there was a time to panic, now is the time:

When the Yankees says “cause for concern” re: an injury, they typically mean it! This is one of the best relievers in game that we could very well lose for a long time. What if this injury is like Wang’s???

THIS IS A HUGE DEAL AND IT SEEMS TO BE FLYING UNDER THE RADAR. WHY?

• Mike Axisa says:

My policy is to not panic until we actually know he’s going to miss significant time. Robertson’s great, but he is still just a reliever. They’ll live.

• max says:

I understand the not panicking until we know more logic.

However, the notion that “they’ll live”, while possible true, is a silly thing to say. Losing an elite reliever could be the difference in winning the AL East and winning the Wild Card.

• Plank says:

It’s March 8th.

• Mike Axisa says:

You can say that about any injury ever.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s not the closer. Rafael Soriano is sitting right over there. Everyone moves up a notch on the depth chart and one of the 10,000 guys they have as AAA bullpen depth comes up. The same five starters remain.

So what exactly was silly here?

• GardnergoesYardner says:

How is it silly? Would you rather them die from the Robertson injury instead?

In all seriousness, the pen is strong enough to withstand this kind of injury. All he might miss is part of April, unless something really serious comes up. Should not be an issue.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

+ 10,000,000

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Exactly.

Any reliever, with maybe the exception of Mo is replaceable.

• max says:

Yankees brass*

• steve (different one) says:

How is this “flying under the radar”?

It’s being talked about everywhere.

6. mike says:

i did a double-take at first – Viz looked like Damon with a shaved head !

7. Craig says:

Guys like Kontos, Whealan, Curtis (Colin); do they have ANY future with this team or are they simply trade bait?

Let’s hope the Cards fall outta it, and we reacquire Berkman.

Berkman 2012!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d say Kontos has a real shot of being a bullpen piece this year. Whelan and Curtis would be trade bait if they had actual trade value.

• Plank says:

I would say Whealan and Curtis have no future with the team and are not trade bait. They are AAA players.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

They possibly have a future. Kontos has the best chance, but Curtis is less than a fringe player at best and Whelan’s stuff didn’t play well at the MLB level (I know it was one game or so, but I had nightmares about all of those walks for weeks) They’re better off serving as org players than being traded for scraps.

Trust me, we don’t want Berkman again. His power dropped off majorly in the 2nd half of last year, plus Cards would likely want a lot for him even if they do fall out.

• RetroRob says:

Berkman had his dead-cat bounce.

Pass.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Ethier will be a Yankee at the deadline.

8. GardnergoesYardner says:

Nova looks like he got slapped around today. Hopefully it’s not a cause for concern, although it seems like he’s giving up homers now with men on.

What’s with the offense though? Only one run in the last two games, which was the garbage time Curtis jack. I know it’s just ST, but our offense is our greatest asset, and we don’t want to put too much pressure on the young guys by not scoring. There are very realistic scenarios in which the offense could be a problem on this year’s team.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Name one team to which this statement does not apply.

Go ahead, I’ll wait.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

I never said it couldn’t apply to every team. I’m just saying that it seems like a lot of people take the New York offense as a given, and it could very quickly become a question.

YOu know how hard it is to win games in those stretches where they just suddenly stop scoring. There’s virtually no margin for error then, and for young guys like Pineda and Nova, putting them in close situations all of the time puts a lot of pressure on them.

Of course, Nova’s never lost a game he’s left with the lead (or whatever that stupid stat that Michael Kay kept tossing out there is) so we should be fine.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

The Yanks had the #2 offense in MLB last year, and there’s no legitimate reason to think it won’t be one of the best this year.

That is not to say they won’t go through some rough stretches where the offense just goes silent; I’m sure they will.

You know who also went through some rough stretches (albeit very few of them)? The 1998 Yankees.

They lost 4 straight and 6 of 9 over two different stretches in August.

Thinking that any team can avoid those stretches over 162 game season is foolhardy.

The best teams don’t eliminate them, they just limit them.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

Obviously no team can avoid the stretches without offense. It’s a result of playing a 162 game season.

The Yankees are certainly a very established offensive team, but even last year, there were times when Cano and Granderson seemed like the only guys who could hit, most notably the playoffs. That could very easily take them down, especially if A-Rod faces injuries again, Jeter comes back to Earth, and Tex and Swish don’t improve, all very real possibilies. That’s all I was saying.

9. Monterowasdinero says:

The games and stats mean nothing in early March. Although DRob’s injury is concerning (and totally screwed up-going down stairs?) it is still his ankle/foot.

Not his arm.

It will be fine. We know what he can do. Look at it as a positive to see our other young pitchers a bit more.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

It is his push off foot though. It’s not like it’s a useless part of his body.

I agree that it is an opportunity for our young guys. Hopefully a young Scranton buck can step up and provide some quality innings from the pen for however long Robertson’s gone.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Hopefully? That would be a less than ideal situation since we have the king of closers and Soriano….

If they need a Scranton guy to step up then the situation blows.

• GardnergoesYardner says:

I didn’t mean step up in a late inning role. I meant just step up and be a quality pitcher with the roster spot left over if DRob misses time.

10. Jesse says:

Michael Pineda starts tomorrow’s game against the Braves which is televised on YES, right?

11. Craig says:

Anyone wanna play me in draw something?: czm26

12. Manny's BanWagon says:

It’s comical how people are panicking about Robertson’s injury.

The Cardinals lost a 6 WAR starter and legitimate Cy Young candidate in Adam Wainwright last year before the season even started and they still won the World Series.

13. Samuel says:

“David Phelps and Dellin Betances weren’t great, but they didn’t allow any runs in 3.1 combined innings.”

I thought Phelps was rpetty good. Pitching around Arencibia and Bautista with men on were the smart moves, and Phelps retired the next guy each time.

Two semi-intentional walks and a ground ball single over 2.2 innings? Good appearance again by Phelps.

Betances flat out is just not that good. He can’t ever locate, and just to throw strikes he throws to the middle third and gets hit.

Trade him while he still has some value.

• Monterowasdinero says:

Agree with this. Phelps is a pitcher. Betances is a thrower. I’d trade him in a heartbeat. His mechanics are poor and he is hype as a big body with a big arm. Takes a lot more than that. If we can’t fix him, trade him to an organization that can and get some value for him.

14. whats wrong w/dave? nothin.