Mar

Report: Mo to announce decision this summer

(REUTERS/Steve Nesius)

Soon after arriving at camp, Mariano Rivera went from being the world’s greatest closer to the world’s greatest troll by announcing that he knows what he’s going to do after the season … but won’t tell anyone. His tone and other comments indicate that 2012 will be the final season of his Hall of Fame career, but Mo says he will have mercy on us all and reveal his decision at some point this summer. “I think maybe it will be before the All-Star break,” said Rivera to Kevin Kernan yesterday.

“These are only games, now we are talking about lives,” added Rivera. “There is nothing better than that. That’s closing the deal … There is definitely a higher calling. I’m not a man to talk about fame or what I have accomplished, none of that stuff. To me that is good, but it is not important … If I can get hold of a teenager and tell him, ‘You know what, Jesus loves you, He cares about you and your family,’ that is the message. That’s what I want to do.”

Put me in the camp that thinks he’s going to retire, only because I’ve kinda been assuming he would retire after each of the last three or four seasons. I think it was my way of bracing for the inevitable, assume the worst each year and you’ll never be disappointed. If he is retiring, the midseason announcement would be appreciated so we could all give him the grand send-off he deserves. As much as I loved Mike Mussina, I was kinda bummed when he retired because we hadn’t had a chance to give him that huge ovation off the field and demand a curtain call and all that.

The Yankees will eventually replace Rivera the closer, someone capable of shutting the door in the ninth inning about 40 times a year. They’re never going to replace Mariano though, that aura of invincibility and comfort of knowing that he’s out in the bullpen to make things okay even when there’s total chaos on the field. There are no funny dances, no beards, no fist pumps, just class. I’ve always loved that calm, collected, and business-like approach. Mo’s retirement will be very bittersweet whenever it happens, and I hope it’s later rather than sooner.

Categories : Players

1. David Ortiz's Dealer says:

To the extent there is no BS, fistpump, facial hair, dances, D-Rob seems to fit the mold.

• Mike Axisa says:

Robertson breaks out the fist pump from time to time, but I actually don’t mind them. Once in a while is fine, but after every strike like Jose Valverde in the ALDS? Nope.

• Rey22 says:

Robertson definitely has the fist pump, and he uses it when he gets out of jams. I guess I recall seeing him doing them often since they bring him into so many messes other pitchers have created. With that said, I don’t mind at all, as long as it’s not over the top annoying like Valverde and Papelbon.

• David Ortiz's Dealer says:

Sorry… I was using the Cervellian scale of fistpumpness.

• Darren says:

I wouldn’t mind a Fu Manchu or a Goose-ian handlebar.
            Stupid Yanks and their stupid conformity.

in Evanston, Dan Mattingly’s hair benches YOU.

• roger clemens says:

my fistpumps are the best

2. jsbrendog says:

there has never been and never will be anyone like him when you combine performance, demeanor, legend, etc. one of a kind. has there ever been anyone who has had anything bad to say about him at all? how could they?

3. steve s says:

In tribute to Mo on the day he does announce perhaps the RAB banner should be changed to “RIVERA BLUES” for that one day because that’s what we will all be feeling.

4. vinny-b says:

I hope not.

my #3 fave baseball player of all-time

1) Paul Molitor
    2) Robin Yount
    3) Rivera

_

5. sevrox says:

Rivera Venue Blues

6. RetroRob says:

I really don’t know why he’s dragging this out, unless he’s trying to leave himself some wiggle room in case he has second thoughts. If that’s not the case, he should have either come straight out and announced it, or he should have said nothing at all.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Dear Rob,

I’m sorry if I offended you in any way.

Love,
      Mariano

PS: I’m Mariano Rivera, bitch. I do what I want.

• David Ortiz's Dealer says:

as long as he doesnt go Rocket or Farve on the issue whenever he wants to say it is fine with me

7. Sean says:

It is NEVER appropriate to refer to Mariano Rivera as a “troll”.

8. Tcmiller30 says:

“You know what, Jesus loves you, He cares about you and your family,”

He was traded! We have Pineda now Mo. Get over it!!

9. Cris Pengiucci says:

The more he talks about it, the more his words sound like this is his last season. I hope I’m wrong and he continues on forever, but, even for Mo, that is unlikely. I’ll enjoy watching him as many times as I can this season. My daughter will probably cry and wear her Rivera jersey for a month straight when the inevitable does happen. I’ll try to follow Mo’s lead and handle it with poise and professionalism (try).

10. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I often wondered the feeling that entered into the mind of opposing hitters when at the plate or waiting to hit against Rivera. Even on a major league level some negative thoughts must have occurred to some of the players.

Than Mo with all the positiveness waiting to throw the one pitch that everyone knew was coming and could not hit. The beauty of his third strike call on the outside corner to the lefty just watching go by with no ability to hit it. Some umpires over-matched with his ability to place the pitch in non hittable spots to the hitter and presumably over the plate. The broken bats flying further than the ground ball to the infielder. But as Mike indicated his class if Mariano should teach a class it would be the humility classes to professional athletes who overreact to some event that they were involved in.

I have many favorite players in baseball mostly Yankees because as a fan of game and who has played the game through college. Its not easy to be good let alone dominate for so long. This is why my feelings for Mo are so near the top of my favorites list.

11. Bronx Ralphie says:

Some of you may disagree with me but I do not think Mike Mussina deserved a “huge ovation off the field”….ok…maybe I take it back…he should have his number retired just for his relief appearance in Game 7 against the Red Sox in the 2003 playoffs.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Mussina’s probably one of the best big-money free-agent signings in the history of sports. He was a great Yankee.

• Darren says:

I blame him for us losing the Tigers series. Bad bad karma to sit there and complain about the wetaher like a little baby. Screw him. I went to the game and they called it for no reason It never rained.

He’s an annoying douche.

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

The greatest of all time. I also believe this is his final season. If you’ve never seen him in person, walk, swim, rob someone if you have to, but get to YS3 this year. If you’ve seen him a million times over, get your “Enter Sandman” fix one last time. There will never be another.

13. FIPster Doofus says:

This is definitely it for Mo, I think. He came up when I was 8. It’s gonna be weird, and way worse, without him. Sad.

14. Dutch Treat says:

As far as greatest yankees ever, he’d have to make the Top 5…Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mo. For the longest time I thought we were watching that and it was Jeter, over the last 5 years though, Mo has grabbed that HUGE honor.

• Yankee Fan 1 says:

Mo is absolutely the greatest CLOSER of all time. Rating him over a 1st ballot HOF SS is silly though.

• JAG says:

Rivera is a 1st-Ballot HOF pitcher, easily one of the best if not the best relievers of all time as well. Jeter had demonstrable defensive flaws and several HOF SS could be touted as better than him, while the same cannot be said of Rivera.

I’m not necessarily saying he’s definitely a better Yankee than Jeter (which is kind of an odd distinction anyway), but I don’t think it’s just “silly” to say he is. Both opinions have definite merit.

15. DM says:

He’s always been a holy roller. It sounds like the man of the sand is gearing up to be a man of the cloth. Missionary Mo.

16. Monterowasdinero says:

# of saves Mo had after his 26 year old season-5

# of saves Houdini had after his 26 year old season-3

The next 600 are going to be the tough ones for DRob.

17. Erica says:

Mo is never going to retire. Nope.

/delusion

It’s the most incredible experience being in the stands when the ominous tones of “Enter Sandman” blare over the P.A. system and Mo jogs out of the bullpen. Chills.

He is the greatest.

18. Big Jim Walewander says:

One part of me is simply thankful beyond words for Mariano’s career, and is ok with his decision, and can “let go”.

… then I’ll simply spend years convinced that he’ll retire, watch his kids grow up, do missionary work, get elected to the Hall of Fame and then return to baseball at 48, simply for love of the game and the challenge. He’ll still be whip-thin, and he’ll make up for his slower cutter with a change-up, and we’ll feel like we’re watching Satchel Paige.

19. Mykey says:

Decision this summer? Ugh, is Mo taking his talents to South Beach?

• Jesse says:

Maybe when the season is over he’ll head on down to South Beach and watch Peyton Manning and the Dolphins.

20. Virginia Yankee says:

The line about talking to kids gives me the impression that he intends to retire and start ministering to kids. I don’t think any of this talk would have come up had he not planned to retire. In the past it’s always been some statement about being able to play at a high level being the deciding factor.

21. Lorraine Smith says:

You pathetic, big-mouthed, know-it-all, wanna-be critics . . . don’t you ever have anything decent to communicate with others? You’re talking about one of the highest regarded ball players in the game. He is a moral, kind, talented, team player and much more that you obviously know nothing about or even know it exists in certain people. I feel sorry for you and any children you may have or come in contact with. You’re certainly no role model.

• Bryan V says:

That was a really well thought-out post. It’s clear that you closely read what was being said in this article, and in past posts here at River Ave Blues.

Wait a second… no it’s not. GTFO!

• Sayid J. says:

May God have mercy on your soul.

• Chris G. says:

Lorraine, I know you didn’t read the whole article. I might suggest you read the whole article before you come out and bash the people at RAB. If you did read the whole article I might suggest a dictionary so you can look every single word that was written up. You have a lot of nerve writing what you did. First, it was not thought out. Second, it was disrespectful. Third, it made you look like a complete ass. Read next time. Read carefully. You are the one that comes off as a “big-mouthed, know-it-all, wanna-be critic.” see what I did there? I read your post and used quotes from it. Reading is a wonderful thing. Try it sometime.