Apr

Pettitte gives up six runs in latest minor league start

Via Marc Carig and Bryan Hoch, left-hander Andy Pettitte gave up six runs in his latest minor league tune-up start today. He threw 95 pitches, which is the good news. Joe Girardi downplayed the results, saying most of the damage was wind-aided. Getting stretched out really is the most important thing at this point.

The Yankees have said they want Pettitte to throw 100 pitches in at least two minor league starts before considering him for the big league rotation, though I assume this game counts since 95 is close enough to 100. Either way, it’s all but guaranteed that Andy will make at least one more minor league start. That could out him on track to rejoin the rotation late next week if all goes well.

Update: Mark Feinsand and Erik Boland have the entire pitching line: 5.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 8 K. He actually threw 96 pitches, including 71 for strikes (74.0%).

Categories : Asides

1. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

um, ok but we got wind in Da Bronx too.

2. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Andy Pettitte is 40 years old. He will be good, if he maintains health, but not great.

Everyone take a deep breath and lower your expectations.

Better than Phreddy but not the Andy we have known in the past.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think most are expecting Pettitte to be at the same level when we last saw him.

If he can give the team league-average innings then it’ll be a positive. Six runs against an A line-up is concerning, although not having seen him pitch it’s kind of meaningless. The wind might have blown a ball out, or over the head of a fielder, but ten hits is a lot.

• Reggie C. says:

“PHREDDY” … Hilarious! is this the first time you’ve used that moniker to capture the weak links?

• Slugger27 says:

Everyone take a deep breath and lower your expectations.Better than Phreddy but not the Andy we have known in the past.

i think that is what everyones expectations are

• mustang says:

“Everyone take a deep breath and lower your expectations.”

Does anyone else find this funny especially when you’re taking the source into account?

3. Guest says:

I agree that we shouldn’t put any stock in minor rehab results. As long as Andy feels good about his pitches and is healthy, that’s all that counts. It’s glorified Spring Training for him.

That said, “wind-aided” damage seems like a spurrious defense at best given that he gave up ten hits. The wind would have had to be doing some serious work to cause Andy to give up ten hits in 5.2 IP

• G says:

Agreed. Minor league rehab games never seem to go all that well. As far as I’m concerned these are no different than rehab starts.

The 8 Ks and 0 BBs indicates that he’s throwing strikes and that’s the important part.

• Midland TX says:

“Pettitte said he was more aggressive facing the Minor League players than he would be on the Major League level. On one particular occasion, with two men on base and with two outs in the fourth inning, Pettitte tossed a changeup in the strike zone on a full count to Ford, who sent a towering fly ball to center that benefited from the wind and narrowly cleared the fence.

“He had swung over top of the pitch in his previous at-bat [for a strikeout] and that’s just something I have to be able to do [in the Majors],” Pettitte said. “If I’m going to throw that pitch in that situation, I have to throw it out of the strike zone. Down here [in extended spring training], I get too aggressive, and he made a good swing on it, too. But it’s good, because I know where I am with my pitches and what I have to do to be successful.” ”

• MannyGeee says:

Wow. I love that dude. Straight up, I made a mistake.

Beckett woulda blamed the ump, Pedroia woulda blamed the field crew and Agon woulda blamed the Sunday night game.

4. Mister D says:

8 SO and 0 BB is all I care about in that line.

5. ctbullets says:

• Guest says:

Technically, we’re not the Yankees. We’re Yankee fans. They’re the Yankees.

We, um, as non-Yankees, can’t really decree that the team have a no excuses mantra because of who we are. We can boo, cheer, shell out money for tickets, or choose to boycott their games entirely. Those are our rights as fans, and our ways to express approval or disproval of the level of Yankee excuse making.

6. ctbullets says:

Tired of all the excuses about bad performances even if it’s a rehab start..the yanks have become excuse-makers like with nuney’s fielding. We’re the Yankees, I don’t want to hear it.

• Mike Axisa says:

*They’re* the Yankees. You’re just a fan.

• Guest says:

You’re in my head, Axisa.

• this is a tired ‘comeback’ or response.

That being said, I say it to people all the time…but more to ‘bust balls’ or poke fun.

We get it, we aren’t professional athletes, but everyone at some point in time has said “we lost a tough one last night” or something of that nature.

Also, the excuse maker thing is dumb, who’s making excuses?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What the hell does that even mean? Do fans in Philly go “…because we’re the Phillies?” Do fans of Toledo Mud Hens feel the same way? The Newark Ducks?

7. JohnC says:

Maybe Andy is getting bored down there

8. This prospect is such a bust.

9. Frank says:

So was this for Double-A or High A?

10. Steven T says:

That 8 k’s and no walks is pretty solid. Is no one gonna mention that?

11. RetroRob says:

If the legend known as Campos can have a bad game in lower A, certainly this Andy-come-lately guy can have an off game too in higher A.

I’d be more interested in hearing about his command. His control is there in that he’s only walked one player in all his starts, but my guess is his command of his pitches is off. Also wondering where his velocity was sitting today.

He’ll have one more start. From there, my guess is they’ll start him in one of the Seattle games. Andy against Jesus.

12. willx says:

Do you even know how windy it is here in tampa? clearwater is next to the beach…. so even more

13. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Does this really mean anything? I didn’t think this was about performance. The Yanks just need him to be physically ready. They know what they’re getting with Andy and hopefully he will surpass expectations. But think of this as his spring training. If CC gave up 20 runs in a spring training game the natural reaction from all of us wouldn’t be “can him” it would be “its just spring training.” That’s what we see here with Andy. I think if he comes up physically ready he will not disappoint.

14. RetroRob says:

I’m more positive hving read a few more first-hand accounts today, especially Pettitte’s own comments. He wants to come up to the Yankees now and was encouraged by how he threw the ball today. He didn’t say that in his last start. I’ll put more faith in how Pettitte feels than the line score, especially with the conditions.

15. blooper says:

This result has precisely as much meaning as a spring training game. Remember those days, when Garcia and Hughes were getting everyone out and Nova was supposedly in danger of losing his job? I have no idea whether Pettite is going to make it back, but I’m not getting excited or worried until his season really starts.